You have to make the original six gender-equal.

A super-powerful time-travelling force from the future is trying to make all franchises gender-equal (50% dudes, 50% dudettes).

Either willingly or out of reluctance, you are selected as their emissary for Bionicle, and tasked with making the original six gender-equal.

You have the freedom to choose which Toa you will pre-retcon as female (or male if you decide to pre-retcon Gali's gender, given that at least three Toa are female).

Which three would you have as gals, and which three would you have as guys?

(The Matoran and Turaga would reflect your change.)

---

I, personally, would pre-retcon Lewa and Pohatu as females. Lewa, because his free-spirited personality would also work well if he were a she. Pohatu to differentiate himself/herself from Onua even further.

Doesn't this belong in the Story-line and Theories section?

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Onua and Pohatu seem masculine to me, but really the other four could be female with their characters remaining the exact same. I suppose it would be neat if Tahu was a girl, as the leader of the Toa. Guess I'd also go with Lewa for the reason you mentioned.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I'd second Chro and make Lewa and Kopaka female, though for different reasons:

1) Lewa is one of the smaller sets in Gen2, played Damsel in Distress twice in Gen1, and has the 'Friend to All Living Things' trope pretty much sewn up. Also, the sequence after he/she's been freed from the Krana reads a lot like River Tam from Firefly.

2) Kopaka is a great 'Ice Queen' already, and i have a fondness for the Yuki-onna of Japanese Mythology. With how the MNOG treated the Ko-Matoran, making them robotic Yuki-Onna wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

A super-powerful time-travelling force from the future is trying to make all franchises gender-equal (50% dudes, 50% dudettes).

gender-equal means also including people who aren't male or female (i.e. nonbinary people). if these hypothetical people are from far enough into the future that they have time travel, they'd know that.

so in the spirit of that: Kopaka and Tahu are guys. Gali and Pohatu are girls. Lewa and Onua are nonbinary.

(although honestly, if i had my way, Onua and Tahu would also be girls....)

• Upvote 5

If it had-to-be had-to-be, I'd choose Lewa and Onua. 

That's because it would be hard to write Kopaka or Tahu as a girl without being negatively stereotypical. The hot-headed girl and the ice queen have been so overdone. Pohatu really needs to be a guy. 

As for Lewa, the character wouldn't have to change too much - the happy-go-lucky gal is another overdone trope, but the switch would be less jarring. As for Onua, it's an incredibly rare opportunity to write an amazing female character who would be more accurate to real life than a lot of other fiction. I really like the "old wise guy" trope, but if we have to do this, writing a wise and sensible female that isn't like Kopaka would be a refreshing change. Might as well go for maximum fun. (Plus also we have the girlfriends rescuing each other - +400 - instead of the guy rescuing the girl for the 4000th time again. :P)

I still think such a change would probably take away from the story, given that Onua is different from Gandalf and is unique in a lot of ways that his gender highlights better, and happy-go-lucky guys do exist, but you're posing a hypothetical, and that is my answer. 

• Upvote 1

I'd make Lewa and Kopaka female because Wairuha

[Please keep jokes appropriate for all ages here. -bones]

Personally though I could see any character being female. It would be interesting to see Tahu as a female and maybe Lewa too

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Hmm. If we're going strictly male and female, then I'd choose Tahu and Onua; Onua would be interesting as a female character, and having a female lead the team is always nice. Plus, you have to keep the bromance with Pohatu and Kopaka alive.

If, as Arc suggested, we go 2 male-2 female-2 nonbinary, then I'd leave Kopaka & Pohatu as male, Onua & Gali as female, and Tahu & Lewa as nonbinary.

• Upvote 1

I dunno... it doesn't really matter. I'd keep Lewa as a guy, because his leprechaun voice in Mask of Light makes me laugh. I guess Tahu would be a guy too, because I've never seen a woman with such unbridled rage (remember how mad he often was in '01 and '02?). And, uh... Pohatu would be a gal, I guess... and... aw heck, I give up, the question is way too arbitrary for me.  :notsure:

While that would make some sense, given how Lewa often is saved by Onua it could end up being interpreted as a sexist distressed damsel type trope if Lewa were female.

Personally, I'd pick Tahu and Onua to be female, because it would be great to have women as the leader and the physically strongest of the Toa, respectively.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 3

Pohatu would be my first choice, just because dem hips. 

The other one could be any of the team members. Probably Kopaka or Tahu, since they have more different personalities from Pohatu and Gali than the other two. 

While that would make some sense, given how Lewa often is saved by Onua it could end up being interpreted as a sexist distressed damsel type trope if Lewa were female.

If you're talking about the times Lewa got possessed by an infected mask and a krana, not really. The damsel in distress trope is bad because women in fiction tend to be the objects of conflicts between men. For example, in the typical Mario game Bowser kidnaps Peach and locks her in a castle. The conflict in-game is only between Bowser and Mario. Peach could easily be replaced by anything (say, Mario's wallet) and the story wouldn't change. She has no agency in what happens. 

The times where he is possessed, Lewa is most certainly part of the conflict. He is the opponent. In 2001, Lewa and Onua brawl, emphasizing the power of both fighters. When Onua finally frees Lewa, he wreaks karmic vengeance and saves the day by mind controlling the Nui-Kopen. In 2002, Lewa has the upper-hand in physical combat. Onua saves Lewa not through brute force, but by appealing to his character so that Lewa can pull the Krana off himself. That's the opposite of the damsel in distress trope, because Lewa has clear agency in saving himself. 

Believe me, I complain a lot about sexism in fiction and I think the damsel in distress trope is obnoxious whenever it appears. However, I would not see Lewa as a damsel in distress if he were female. 

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 5

That was my exact thinking when I was four years old and just getting into BIONICLE. :P Unfortunately, that headcanon became harder and harder to maintain when I read more of the story material.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Pohatu would be my first choice, just because dem hips. 

The other one could be any of the team members. Probably Kopaka or Tahu, since they have more different personalities from Pohatu and Gali than the other two. 

The times where he is possessed, Lewa is most certainly part of the conflict. He is the opponent. In 2001, Lewa and Onua brawl, emphasizing the power of both fighters. When Onua finally frees Lewa, he wreaks karmic vengeance and saves the day by mind controlling the Nui-Kopen. In 2002, Lewa has the upper-hand in physical combat. Onua saves Lewa not through brute force, but by appealing to his character so that Lewa can pull the Krana off himself. That's the opposite of the damsel in distress trope, because Lewa has clear agency in saving himself. 

Believe me, I complain a lot about sexism in fiction and I think the damsel in distress trope is obnoxious whenever it appears. However, I would not see Lewa as a damsel in distress if he were female. 

I agree the trope doesn't apply exactly, but the damsel in distress and Lewa in distress are still broadly similar in that they're both out of their depth, largely unable to help themselves, and so in need of external help. And in both cases that help is in some way male - literally with the knight in shining armour being a man, and with Onua being the physically strongest Toa (physical strength being a stereotypically male trait).

Do their genders really need to be changed? I'm also not sure if the teams need to be perfectly equal. For possible future toa teams, I'd be cool if 4/6th's of them were females or males.

I'm just used to the toa being the genders they are and I don't think it makes sense for them to have to be changes solely for the sake of perfectly equal gender ratios. The gender per element thing was what bothered me the most and was what needed to be changed, which I think has been done. For the future, more representation for women is great, but I don't understand why so many find it useful if the current genders were swapped. It doesn't change their characters in any way important.

Well, if I had to change any genders, it would probably go down to Lewa and... Onua? Not sure to be honest. Pohatu could work as well.

• Upvote 1

Do their genders really need to be changed? I'm also not sure if the teams need to be perfectly equal. For possible future toa teams, I'd be cool if 4/6th's of them were females or males.

I'm just used to the toa being the genders they are and I don't think it makes sense for them to have to be changes solely for the sake of perfectly equal gender ratios. The gender per element thing was what bothered me the most and was what needed to be changed, which I think has been done. For the future, more representation for women is great, but I don't understand why so many find it useful if the current genders were swapped. It doesn't change their characters in any way important.

Well, if I had to change any genders, it would probably go down to Lewa and... Onua? Not sure to be honest. Pohatu could work as well.

This is purely a thought experiment. The human species is 50-50 split on human, and Bionicle as a toyline traditionally has had female characters as only one out of six at best. So this is just a hypothetical where three of the original six were female and you choose which Toa other than Gali were female.

(I didn't mind the original team being split this way; it's more when it became a trend. The Glatorian are the most obvious example where it became pretty stupid; despite the species not having single gender tribes, we still ended up with an all male winter line and one female in the summer line)

I agree the trope doesn't apply exactly, but the damsel in distress and Lewa in distress are still broadly similar in that they're both out of their depth, largely unable to help themselves, and so in need of external help. And in both cases that help is in some way male - literally with the knight in shining armour being a man, and with Onua being the physically strongest Toa (physical strength being a stereotypically male trait).

Lewa is able to help himself; he was the one who removed the Krana. Needing help is not being a damsel in distress. Being a damsel in distress means not having agency in the story. Lewa clearly has agency in the story even when he is possessed; he stops Kongu and Takua's rescue in MNOG, is the "villain" in that part of the game, and later removes the Krana mask through his own will. 

Also, Onua is physically outmatched in both fights. In 2001, he switches to the mask of Telekinesis after Lewa knocks him down. In 2002, he outright loses and gets the Krana off by talking to Lewa. That's something a lot of people miss: Onua both times frees Lewa through his mind rather than his brute strength.

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 1

Lewa is able to help himself; he was the one who removed the Krana.

Only with Onua's prompting.

Needing help is not being a damsel in distress. Being a damsel in distress means not having agency in the story. Lewa clearly has agency in the story even when he is possessed; he stops Kongu and Takua's rescue in MNOG, is the "villain" in that part of the game,

Then the help he needs is to stop being the villain. And I did say the situations weren't exactly the same.

Also, Onua is physically outmatched in both fights. In 2001, he switches to the mask of Telekinesis after Lewa knocks him down. In 2002, he outright loses and gets the Krana off by talking to Lewa. That's something a lot of people miss: Onua both times frees Lewa through his mind rather than his brute strength.

Onua has to restrain himself because he's obliged not to harm his friend. Lewa on the other hand is under no such restraint because he isn't in his right mind.

And realistically Onua should have the advantage, because he has access to an array of different mask powers whereas Lewa is confined to the one power offered by the infected mask or the Krana.

• Upvote 1

Pohatu and Kopaka would make for a good mix of female personalities I feel. If you chose Onua - I feel that would clash with Gali since you'd have two even more similar wise/voice of reason type characters. Lewa and Pohatu again could both fit a similar happy/optimist sort of role - I chose Pohatu because I  having a sporty/physical kind of girl would be cool. I feel that having Kopaka/Tahu would allow for a fun relationship between the two and chose Kopaka in the end from personal preference probably due to Tahu being so iconic as he is.

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

I don't really think gender in Bionicle really matters but I suppose Lewa and maybe Onua could be female. I mostly picked Onua because I think it would be awesome to hear a woman's voice from him. If we want to go into non-binary, I could see Kopaka going that way.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

Seems rude to not take other genders into account; there are more than just males and females.

But going off of the original post, I'd make Pohatu, Onua, and Gali female. As others have mentioned, the "hothead" (Tahu), "ice queen" (Kopaka), and "happy-go-lucky" (Lewa) girl characters are all overdone stereotypes that would be pretty offensive. Onua and Pohatu would make great, strong characters that stand out from those stereotypes. Gali would stay female because, well, she already is.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

• Upvote 2

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Seems rude to not take other genders into account; there are more than just males and females.

But going off of the original post, I'd make Pohatu, Onua, and Gali female. As others have mentioned, the "hothead" (Tahu), "ice queen" (Kopaka), and "happy-go-lucky" (Lewa) girl characters are all overdone stereotypes that would be pretty offensive. Onua and Pohatu would make great, strong characters that stand out from those stereotypes. Gali would stay female because, well, she already is.

How is "Genki Girl" and "Ice Queen" offensive? Conversely, how is "Team Mom" and "Sports Star" any less so? They're tropes; tried and true archetypes. That doesn't make them offensive. Or do you think we're expecting a Kopaka going Tsundere for Tahu and a Lewa playing Onua's Manic Pixie Dream Girl? Nope. Not in my case, anyway

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

How is "Genki Girl" and "Ice Queen" offensive? Conversely, how is "Team Mom" and "Sports Star" any less so? They're tropes; tried and true archetypes. That doesn't make them offensive. Or do you think we're expecting a Kopaka going Tsundere for Tahu and a Lewa playing Onua's Manic Pixie Dream Girl? Nope. Not in my case, anyway

I personally don't find any of them offensive, nor do I find characters being male offensive in and of itself. I probably should have clarified I was referring to general reception. Feminists and others who are prominent in gender theory and such tend to complain much more about the "offensive" character types we discussed above but I hardly ever see complaints toward the Pohatu/Onua type female characters.

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Just changing locked genders M->F of monogender tribes doesn't fix anything.

Why not? It completely makes a difference in my eyes. True, there is a difference between representation and balanced gender ratios but I'd honestly find it even more off if there were 5/6th's more men than women on the island than if there were exactly 50-50 gender ratios on one toa team. If you don't fix the gender per element thing, you're putting your story in a box and making things just even more unfair.

In all honestly, I wouldn't want to change them, but if I had to I'd say Lewa and Onua. Lewa because of almost all the reasons listed above, and Onua because I don't really want Kopaka or Pohatu to change, and I don't think Tahu should change either (but on the topic of his hot hotheadedness, I know a girl who is like that).

Also, when people where saying they would like Onua to be female, first thing to pop into my mind was Gen2 Onua, looking like he/she's about to  pound some skull spiders, but with a tiny pink bow on his/her head. :P  

Edited by The Skakdi Chronicler

Just changing locked genders M->F of monogender tribes doesn't fix anything.

Why not? It completely makes a difference in my eyes. True, there is a difference between representation and balanced gender ratios but I'd honestly find it even more off if there were 5/6th's more men than women on the island than if there were exactly 50-50 gender ratios on one toa team. If you don't fix the gender per element thing, you're putting your story in a box and making things just even more unfair.

I'm saying exactly about gender-per-element thing - this thing is horribly wrong.

What should be done isn't just switching the locked gender to some tribes - whichever gender it is, it's still locked.

TOO LATE.

IT WAS ALWAYS TOO LATE.

Couldn't care less about the genders personally, so long as the characters are still well-written and personalities and character relationships are engaging enough to make the plot an enjoyable experience. There's a weird emphasis on gender > personality here.

But if I was looking at ways to change things around, then I can think of two I'd go for. I actually think Onua and Tahu would make for good female characters, just as they make for good male characters. The core dynamics of their personalities wouldn't change because...well, why would they? Onua would stay the wise-headed thinker of the group, and Tahu would be the hot-headed leader. Same old, same old.

• Upvote 2

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Since I've always wanted to see some kind of "wise old mentor" character in a female version, I'd probably go for Onua, just like so many. Tahu would also be a nice choice because you know, female leader and stuff.

Nonbinary characters would probably include Kopaka and Gali, mostly because they're kinda opposites and would make for some kind of '2 sides of the same medal'-scenario.

(and then there's the not-a-member-of-the-original-six-but-still-important Takanuva. A female or nonbinary version would be awesome. :3)

• Upvote 2

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Oh boy gender topic... Can we please keep it simple M/F? Lol.

Id have to go with Le and Ko as female, cuz Ice Queen stereotype, as well as the nature loving female stereotype as well. If we include the other elements, well I'd have to give it some thought.

• Upvote 3

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***