Worm's Brain in Lego Robot

Zeb

Scientists were able to take the brain of a C. elegans roundworm, convert it into programming, and download it into a Lego Mindstorms EV3 robot. And it works!! There is now such a thing as a digital worm. And it is inside a Lego robot.

Here are several news reports on it:

• Upvote 6

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

No, it isn't creepy.

It's crawly.

Or... worm... y...

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

My only thought is "What...?"

I mean, it's really cool that they managed to do that, and it's cool that science has gotten that far, but... why on earth would you think "Here's a worm brain, let's plug it into my NXT set."?

• Upvote 3

Very cool. I really like emergent behaviors, and robots, and AI, and this combines it all.

• Upvote 1

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

I mean, it's really cool that they managed to do that, and it's cool that science has gotten that far, but... why on earth would you think "Here's a worm brain, let's plug it into my NXT set."?

It's called research scientists looking for grants in order to pay the light bill. :P

I'm a bit skeptical, though, on how much of the worm's brain it actually simulates - the only thing it seemed to show was rudimentary collision avoidance. While that may be most of the brainpower the worm needs, it doesn't make for a very interesting bot. :shrugs: They didn't show the other bot features (as mentioned in the write-ups) in the video, so I'm wondering if they made that stuff up or I'm just not paying good attention. 

What hath science done? I repeat, WHAT HATH SCIENCE DONE?!  :o

Joking aside, I do think that this is interesting but yet also kind of creepy. Its really cool that scientists were able to achieve this, but the thought that the mind of a living thing, even a worm, could to be put into a Lego robot creeps me out a little bit. After all, I didn't think something like this could actually be done. At least not in my lifetime. But the fact that this is actually becoming a reality, even if it is just for a worm right now, is sort of scary to me.

But that just may be me being paranoid. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

1. They were bored.
  2. They wanted to see what would happen.
  3. They like roundworms, robots, and Legos, and decided to combine them.
  4. They wanted to make the world's first virtual animal using the brain of a worm.
  5. They want to be like Dr. Frankenstein and creep everyone out. :P :P :P

Also, that was an EV3 kit, not NXT.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

It's called research scientists looking for grants in order to pay the light bill. :P

I'm a bit skeptical, though, on how much of the worm's brain it actually simulates - the only thing it seemed to show was rudimentary collision avoidance. While that may be most of the brainpower the worm needs, it doesn't make for a very interesting bot. :shrugs: They didn't show the other bot features (as mentioned in the write-ups) in the video, so I'm wondering if they made that stuff up or I'm just not paying good attention.

It's not exciting simply because of what the robot is doing. Most of the kids who have a LEGO robotics sets can write programs that do the exact same thing. It's interesting because the robots program wasn't written for obstacle avoidance. It was written to duplicate the function of the worm's brain. The obstacle avoidance simply happened. Arguably, if something else happened, like the robot continuing to run its wheels and drive into the wall, this probably wouldn't have been considered such a breakthrough.

I think the sound sensor was meant to be the food sensor, but it doesn't really explain that.

signoff2.png

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

It probably was. :P The program actually came from a project that was mimicing the entire worm that was unconnected to this. I think they basically went, "Hey, cool. Let's put this on a robot and see what happens!"

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

• 2 weeks later...