LEGO Talks About AFOLs

An interesting article appeared recently over on ToyNews about LEGO and AFOLs. CEO Jorgen Von Knudstorp was interviewed and had a lot of positive things to say about fans and the community. He realizes we're our own group and stated that LEGO doesn't want to control us, just help us grow and thrive. It's really heartening to read about their perspective on things and I look forward to seeing what else they do in the future to continue on that path.

View the full article

• Upvote 5

While some outsiders may find it weird or childish for adults to play with what's labeled as 'kids toys', I find that these people are actually a lot more social and more interactive than most others. Some people may compare AFOLs to adults that would play with Power Rangers or something like that, but LEGO are something all by itself. LEGO allows the imagination to expand and open up a world of possibilities than most other toys do not. I respect and love the AFOL community and would love to be a part of it some day. :)

• Upvote 2

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

As nice as it is to read that, unfortunately I find it in stark contrast to the fact that we're not allowed to sign up for the LEGO magazine, even a paid version.

signature.png

I know, right? with all the new Bionicle stuff coming, I still want to be a part of getting the magazine, but they just decided we're not allowed to get it anymore.

As nice as it is to read that, unfortunately I find it in stark contrast to the fact that we're not allowed to sign up for the LEGO magazine, even a paid version.

signature.png

I know, right? with all the new Bionicle stuff coming, I still want to be a part of getting the magazine, but they just decided we're not allowed to get it anymore.

I'm lucky enough to have a toddler I can enlist for, but many AFOLs are flat out of luck, especially if they want the inserts (which don't come in the in-store ones... and I'm sure many others like me are nowhere near a store anyway).

signature.png

Edited by Kayru

signature.png

signature.png

I still receive the Club magazines and occasionally the catalogs( oddly I did not receive the most recent catalog but I got the Club magazine that came after with the Bionicle booklet for which I am very grateful) and I'm an adult... Is that because I have been receiving them ever since I was a small child or am I just lucky? 

On the subject of the article, it's nice to be recognized and appreciated for our dedication and love of the LEGO brand.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

signature.png

I still receive the Club magazines and occasionally the catalogs( oddly I did not receive the most recent catalog but I got the Club magazine that came after with the Bionicle booklet for which I am very grateful) and I'm an adult... Is that because I have been receiving them ever since I was a small child or am I just lucky? 

On the subject of the article, it's nice to be recognized and appreciated for our dedication and love of the LEGO brand.

The rule in question has not been put into effect yet for subscribers in the United States and possibly other countries. I re-subscribed to the LEGO Club Magazine less than six months ago, having NOT been a subscriber for a year or longer prior to that. But I have received the latest two magazines (including the BIONICLE insert) in my own name with no problems.

It's still possible that the LEGO Group might have a change of heart and revoke this rule before they even get around to putting it into effect in the US. In the meantime, if you subscribe now, it's entirely possible you might still be in time to ensure you get future issues up until whenever the cutoff date happens to be. I would definitely recommend that, as even besides the BIONICLE insert, the quality of material in the latest issue of the magazine was very good.

Edited by Aanchir

To follow up on Aanchir's post: going to the current sign-up sheet, it does ask specifically for your "child's name" and "parent's email"—but the "child's date of birth" field goes all the way back to 1931.

So I don't think there are any actual hard limitations to Lego magazine subscriptions—or if there are, they haven't been implemented yet. So if you're not currently subscribed I'd recommend doing so while the option is there. Worst case scenario, they stop sending it to you and it still will cost you nothing. But otherwise you'll get all the same content, regardless of your age.

P.S.: Fans of Lego Friends (or the upcoming Elves theme, which might presumably be covered as well) might consider selecting "female" as their gender as well, regardless of whether or not you actually identify as such. Female subscribers get the free "pink brick" insert that covers "girls' themes". It actually has some decent content, including short stories, and while it's available digitally on the website you might be interested in getting it physically as well. It'd be nice if the form removed the "gender" field altogether and replaced it with the ability to simply opt in to the "pink brick" or "green brick" inserts—but until that happens, a simple fib is all it takes to challenge those gender norms.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

LEGO has also found that despite appealing to different demographics, if it creates quality sets for its core audience of youngsters, they will also appeal to the AFOL community.

Maybe I've just been exposed to the wrong AFOL communities, but this made me laugh thinking of how at-odds it is with how many people in the AFOL community I've seen say something like "this set was obviously made with children in mind" or dismissing an aspect of the set they dislike by saying "maybe the kiddies will like it, but for the average AFOL like myself, Stuckup McSnobberson, this set holds no value."

most notably, a lot of AFOLs will say stuff like that about the entirety of constraction.

Edited by Wally
  • Upvote 1

To follow up on Aanchir's post: going to the current sign-up sheet, it does ask specifically for your "child's name" and "parent's email"—but the "child's date of birth" field goes all the way back to 1931.

I wonder how many 84 year-olds will be receiving the Lego Magazine this year.

• Upvote 4

I wonder how many 84 year-olds will be receiving the Lego Magazine this year.

Count me as one.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I was kind of hoping it'd be longer...

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

LEGO has also found that despite appealing to different demographics, if it creates quality sets for its core audience of youngsters, they will also appeal to the AFOL community.

Maybe I've just been exposed to the wrong AFOL communities, but this made me laugh thinking of how at-odds it is with how many people in the AFOL community I've seen say something like "this set was obviously made with children in mind" or dismissing an aspect of the set they dislike by saying "maybe the kiddies will like it, but for the average AFOL like myself, Stuckup McSnobberson, this set holds no value."

most notably, a lot of AFOLs will say stuff like that about the entirety of constraction.

I think that's just a sign of how the most vocal demographic isn't always the largest.

Lego has things like sales data backing them up, so they probably have an inside perspective of what the adult fans are ACTUALLY buying.

I always thought those kinds of whiny fans were amusing to watch after the Lego Movie... so many complaining about it being "anti-AFOL", not realizing that it was only "anti-them" if they identified with President Business's high-minded attitude over Finn's earnestness, and that the majority of AFOLs don't need to hide behind terms like "highly sophisticated interlocking brick system" in order to enjoy what is, at its essence, playing with a toy.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So I don't think there are any actual hard limitations to Lego magazine subscriptions—or if there are, they haven't been implemented yet. So if you're not currently subscribed I'd recommend doing so while the option is there. Worst case scenario, they stop sending it to you and it still will cost you nothing. But otherwise you'll get all the same content, regardless of your age.

P.S.: Fans of Lego Friends (or the upcoming Elves theme, which might presumably be covered as well) might consider selecting "female" as their gender as well, regardless of whether or not you actually identify as such. Female subscribers get the free "pink brick" insert that covers "girls' themes". It actually has some decent content, including short stories, and while it's available digitally on the website you might be interested in getting it physically as well. It'd be nice if the form removed the "gender" field altogether and replaced it with the ability to simply opt in to the "pink brick" or "green brick" inserts—but until that happens, a simple fib is all it takes to challenge those gender norms.

Slight correction — the LEGO Friends insert is not referred to as the "pink brick" edition but rather the "yellow brick" edition. Although in the United States, they've stopped calling it either.

Does that mean that I need to fib and say that I'm a guy to get the Bionicle insert stuff?

Does that mean that I need to fib and say that I'm a guy to get the Bionicle insert stuff?

No, I believe all the other inserts come standard (and technically, there's little need to fib about gender since the LEGO Friends insert is available for free online along with the main magazine and Club Jr. magazine these days).

With LEGO there's this raw potential to make almost anything we can imagine, which is so often lacking in the corporate world or "real" world. While the company itself didn't do anything specific to build the AFOL community, what they do and produce draws in adults. At the same time, the AFOL community has kinda taken LEGO further than it might've gone otherwise because of conventions and such. So in a way, we help each other.

©1984-2015 Toaraga EAM

COT Official Topics | Trade References | COT RPG Guidelines | Truth | A Naming Day Carol | Stars Review The trouble with the status quo is that it keeps changing."College dropout, Shego: they let me in; I let myself out." -Dr. Drakken No great feat was ever accomplished by those who gave into fear or caved under pressure. Earthquakes in many places.|| Busy with life