Ninjago Mafia:Feudal Kingdoms

Seaborgium

reading Huck Finn and listening to my insane teacher's hidden meanings behind each word

Such an unfortunate juxtaposition, albeit one all too probable. Reading Huck Finn is hugely enjoyable. Navel-gazing a work of art to death is not.

I'm going to hit you...

You mean you don't like Huck Finn?

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

It's not that, my teacher just...messed up the book.

He wears a white tweed suit just like Mark Twain and is very obsessed over him.

I was sympathizing with you. I know how it is to have a teacher who analyzes the peripherals of a book to death. It's the reason I switched out of my AP English class my senior year of high-school. When even Dante's Divine Comedy (Inferno, of all parts) fails to excite you, you know that something is wrong with the class. The difference between the AP class and the other upperclassmen English class (this was a small school) was like night and day.

• Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

I read Huck Finn, it wasn't half bad, although not my favorite. Inferno was excellent.

"Master, what gnaws at them so hideously

their lamentation stuns the very air?"
"They have no hope of death," he answered me,

"and in their blind and unattaining state

their miserable lives have sunk so low

that they must envy every other fate."

Also when did this thread become a literature discussion?

*Snaps fingers*

• Upvote 2

I'm taking AP English this year, and the teacher analyzes everything very much, but somehow barely doesn't cross the line of frustrating overanalyzing; we just finished Moby-Dick and I think we read Huck Finn later in the year.

Next year's AP class is reportedly awful.

Unfortunately we never get to read Divine Comedy in my high school curriculum.

the Berenstein Bears are awesome

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I'm doing AP Literature right now. The teacher analyzes stuff, but more than that she makes us analyze it. Somehow she actually made it fun.

Of course she's also not afraid of cursing in class or making fun of us (not in a mean way, mind you) and stuff like that so the class in general is fun which I think helps.

We're not reading Huck Finn, though. Heart of Darkness, Inferno, and now, A Thousand Splendid Suns.

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

I'm taking AP English this year, and the teacher analyzes everything very much, but somehow barely doesn't cross the line of frustrating overanalyzing; we just finished Moby-Dick and I think we read Huck Finn later in the year.

Next year's AP class is reportedly awful.

Unfortunately we never get to read Divine Comedy in my high school curriculum.

It's really down to what type of analysis is done. Good analysis is that which deals with the substance of the work. Bad analysis, of the sort I mentioned, is a bit harder to describe. Basically, I think that it focuses on what went into the work, and what comes out of it, to the exclusion of the work itself.

Mind, it really depends on the teacher. I was in advanced English for the rest of High-school, and I encountered no such problems (from the teachers, at least.) I thoroughly enjoyed most of it.

It's a pity that you won't read Divine Comedy in high-school. Hopefully you at least get to read Inferno in college.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

Being homeschooled I read the books I want and read into them as deeply as I wish.

(Which is pretty deep, considering how deep I go into freaking Mafia game theory xD)

ANYWAYS I've got a joke for you all.

Representatives of four kingdoms, some ninjas, and some other guys meet on a mountaintop. One guy turns to another and stabs him in the throat.

WHODUNNIT?

• Upvote 1

Being homeschooled I read the books I want and read into them as deeply as I wish.

I was homeschooled through Seventh Grade. I still have fond memories of going off and doing my assigned reading in some corner of the house.

Representatives of four kingdoms, some ninjas, and some other guys meet on a mountaintop. One guy turns to another and stabs him in the throat.

WHODUNNIT?

That's not exactly a knee-slapper, but I'll bite.

Was it Phillips? He's got shifty eyes.

gZsNWyr.png

WHODUNNIT?

That's not exactly a knee-slapper, but I'll bite.

Was it Phillips? He's got shifty eyes.

Nah, he looks like he's pretty consistently concerned with what's to his right.

Almost like me.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

NIGHT ONE:

Taka Nuvia looked out the window from her quarters. A full silver moon was suspended in the sky, its rays reflecting of the nearby mountain stream and a soft wind rustled through the bamboo and other foliage. "Such beauty near a place of such deceit" mused Taka Nuvia.

But deceit would be necessary. She had promised to reap a fine harvest of territory for the Fire Kingdom. To do required deception.

It required a willingness to do whatever was necessary. Now that necessity was greater than ever; the other kingdoms would, as was suspected, forswear whatever promises of truce they had made; worse, the ninja had infiltrated the council. "We must be cautious. We must ready ourselves and keep up our watch." Taka reminded herself.

Thump.

"A clumsy assassin no doubt, but I'll not be caught off my guard". Taka withdrew a long blade with a sculpted dragon for a hilt .

Silently Taka left her quarters to investigate the noise. She saw no-one outside, but noticed a small scroll left for her. She picked it up and read it.

It said:

"Oh you who would have knowledge, look first at nature. The water cannot inundate itself, the fire cannot roast itself, the earth cannot make itself fertile, nor do the vapors of the air bring themselves into being. They cannot sustain themselves, nor do is that their purpose. If you would have knowledge, look first into yourself, and see how you are nothing."

This was odd. This scroll had no particular meaning for her. She read over it again. She was still clueless. "Is it a message? What could it mean?". She put down the scroll, puzzled.

And then she looked at herself. Her skin was ashen grey. Her fingers were numb. She was dying.

She then remembered how she a something small had pricked her, something hidden in the fiber of the scroll itself. It must have contained poison. "But poison this potent?" she thought. And then she realized. It only had a small numbing effect. As she had examined the scroll, her killer had silently cut her at just the right arteries and the numbing effect had prevented any notice.  The killer had not been crude or utilitarian,but seemed to delight in his craft, so it must have been a ninja. Taka gained some satisfaction from deducing how she was killed. Then she died.

"Murder!" cried a sage. Taka's body was found that morning, and with grim fascination, the sages gathered round. "Whoever did this was trained in the art of killing, do doubt a ninja" said Portlfig, one of the calmer of the group.

Rucks took the blade from Taka's hand. "A dragon blade", he said "the traditional weapon of an assassin loyal to the Fire Kingdom. It appears Taka herself was entangled in some intrigue. But it does not befit us to speak ill of the dead. Let us proceed with the investigation, and perhaps save our own skins".

******

Taka Nuvia- Fire Nation Assassin, killed Night 1.         

• Upvote 8

MnRA5kV.png