'Get the Mask' Comic

emily

I think the comics are a little longer and more detailed. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I like how everything has a Transformers vibe to it. Though, Gali doesn't look feminine at all. :(

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Wow! That's pretty cool. I didn't expect to see an actual comic shipped with the UK magazine. Pretty surprised by the art style, very stylistic and almost none of the Toa look the same as the sets - interesting how Onua is depicted as being the same body shape as the others, the human statue in Gali's portion and obviously the major differences in Lewa's design. Everything looks extremely streamlined, and as others have said it really reminds me of Transformers. The first pic of Tahu almost looks like the original Mata design - and how I usually depict Toa in my drawings. xD Skull Spiders look strangely robotic as well. 

Overall though, I kind of like the art-style. Very different from the more simple cartoon-style of the animations and packaging comics. These are really sketchy and have a lot more detail. It's an aesthetic I actually like quite a bit, though I wish the depictions of the characters were a lot more accurate to the sets.

And I really like how the back promo says "Look out, They're back!" xD 

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Objectively, I like the style, though I can't say I prefer it to the primary one. It's striking, but it doesn't feel particularly like BIONICLE.

The stylistic dissonance between this and everything else also bothers me. LEGO has gone to the trouble of crafting a visual style that suits both the sets and the paradoxically mythic vibe inherent in BIONICLE. Here we are presented with something that feels based off the sets alone, and only loosely. If it were fan-art (it resembles it) I wouldn't mind it a bit. But seeing as it's official, it slightly perturbs me. It's a like doing a promotional poster for the Dark Crystal in the style of Middle-Earth.

• Upvote 4

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

The Protectors must've been working out in preparation for the Toa's arrival. :P

Joking aside, I really like how these comics are drawn. The colors all look great IMO. I do wish that the Toa and Protectors looked a little more like their set counterparts, but I still think they look cool as well.

Also, did anyone else notice the human-like statue head in one of the panels of the Gali comic? It undeniably looks like a human head. I have no idea why something that looks like that is in the comic. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

In general, there are a lot of inaccuracies to the sets and other weirdness in these comics that make me think these are basically concept art that the marketing team at LEGO saw fit to publish as comics. The style is interesting, but the character designs lack a lot of the actual sets' individuality, and the storylines are just as simple and repetitive as the comics that appear in the instruction manuals — arguably even more so because they don't include the Skull Spiders latching to the Protectors' faces or the Toa actually directly attacking the Skull Spiders after claiming their golden masks. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this was a "style test" of sorts for the comics that ended up appearing in the instruction manuals.

Some people on other sites like Eurobricks have also pointed out that some of the poses seem like they might be traced from other comics, so if that's the case that's another point against them. Though of course, if it does turn out that they were just concept art or a style test, then it's not as though it especially matters what shortcuts were used.

All things considered, these comics are a stylistically interesting take on the characters, but I can't say I'm especially impressed with them. The cartoony Toa and Protectors from the animations and instruction manual comics are more accurate to the character designs and have more personality than these grittier ones, and those comics and animations also manage to tell a more complete story than these do.

• Upvote 6

The art style here reminds me a lot of G1 Transformers for some reason. I like the look of it overall, but a few things seemed a bit odd to me.

1. The size of the Protectors. Even though the Protectors are supposed to be much smaller than the Toa, here they're about the same size.

2. Tahu's design, particularly because it changes to a more set accurate design for one panel only.

3. Statues of human faces. This is probably just supposed to be generic background decoration, but I thought it was sort of odd onsidering that the animations have kept this sort of thing out despite the Mayan/Aztec sort of style.

4. The Mask of Jungle's design. It seems like whoever was doing the illustrations mistook Lewa's shoulders for ears or something. I like the more tribal look it has, but it's not consistent with the set.

For everyone complaining about Lewa's mask, look at the figure. When the mask comes off, what else is missing? Those shoulder-armor-things. The artist may have confused those silver pieces for being part of the mask. In the set, Lewa's shoulders are positioned so high up that those pieces, from certain angles, look like they're coming out the back of his head, so it's not a stretch to think that something like that could have gotten mixed up.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

For everyone complaining about Lewa's mask, look at the figure. When the mask comes off, what else is missing? Those shoulder-armor-things. The artist may have confused those silver pieces for being part of the mask. In the set, Lewa's shoulders are positioned so high up that those pieces, from certain angles, look like they're coming out the back of his head, so it's not a stretch to think that something like that could have gotten mixed up.

That was my complaint. If you were solely looking at images of Lewa, it would be easy to make that mistake. Before we got clear images, people even thought he might have some sort of dreadlocks. However, if you actually had the set in hand, as one would think would be a necessary part of making a toy-based comic, it would take five seconds to realize the truth of the situation.

Not a fan. All the characters have the exact same proportions, removing their individuality. Onua is painfully thin and the Protectors are as brawny as the Toa they serve. The action is poorly conveyed with various inconsistencies like Onua suddenly being outside at the end of his comic. Not only that, but there are some hilarious inaccuracies like Lewa's shoulders being incorporated into his mask. 

The style reminds me of Pat Lee Transformers comics.

(that's not a compliment)

They practically look like traced Transformer comics. The Protectors have the proportions of Autobots.

Edited by Latrodectus

That was my complaint. If you were solely looking at images of Lewa, it would be easy to make that mistake. Before we got clear images, people even thought he might have some sort of dreadlocks. However, if you actually had the set in hand, as one would think would be a necessary part of making a toy-based comic, it would take five seconds to realize the truth of the situation.

Remember when Sayger drew an unconscious Hydraxon with Maxilos' face? Or when Pohatu and Lewa had their masks switched in The End of the Toa? It's just an easy mistake made by one artist. We don't know if they had acess to the sets, or if these comics were based on prototypes. While I don't like it myself, it's nothing to complain about.

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Or when Pohatu and Lewa had their masks switched in The End of the Toa?

That was a color error, not a design one.  There were quite a few color errors in previous comics, from white Pahrak and red Kohrak to a blue Hakann.  Nothing quite as jarring as Onua losing 2/3 of his shoulder width.

For some reason, I can't see the images, they just go blank once loaded, but while zooming in or out I can see bits of them.  They don't look that good.  The animation style is much better, and much more accurate to the sets.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

Remember when Sayger drew an unconscious Hydraxon with Maxilos' face? Or when Pohatu and Lewa had their masks switched in The End of the Toa? It's just an easy mistake made by one artist. We don't know if they had acess to the sets, or if these comics were based on prototypes. While I don't like it myself, it's nothing to complain about.

"Sure, there's an issue, but you're not allowed to complain about it."

<_<

Part of my complaint is that if you're going to have someone draw a promotional comic, it seems like a pretty reasonable assumption that they'd need dependable reference material, meaning either the sets themselves or enough images of the sets that they know exactly what they look like.

The comics almost definitely aren't based on prototypes; the mask in Tahu's comic is his final mask, not his prototype mask. If Tahu's mask is correct to the final version, it doesn't make sense to me why other things would be based on prototypes early enough for Lewa's mask to have weird bunny ears (while otherwise being completely like the final design).

And that's not my only complaint, either; all sense of personality has been erased from these Toa. Some of them are even direct copies from panels from another Toa's comic with minimal changes (Tahu and PoF's first panel and Onua and PoE's first panel). Their limbs have been made blocky and rectangular, like G1 transformers, and like some Transformers comics, look like they've got the gout.

Overall, the quality of these comics are just disappointing. On the surface, they look nice, but closer examination reveals all kinds of weirdness that I'm not even sure when it's the artist's fault and when it's just poor communication (like the Skull Spiders becoming some kind of drones with no actual method of attaching to faces). Say what you will about the animation style (which I still adore for its expressiveness and personality), it knows how to represent sets in a way this style seems to be highly lacking in.

• Upvote 4

Or when Pohatu and Lewa had their masks switched in The End of the Toa?

That was a color error, not a design one.  There were quite a few color errors in previous comics, from white Pahrak and red Kohrak to a blue Hakann.  Nothing quite as jarring as Onua losing 2/3 of his shoulder width.

Whoops.  :lookaround: My mistake. Somehow I remembered seeing Pohatu's body design.

Even so, it's still a perfect example of how the artists are not always reliable in getting every single detail correct. :)

Edited by ~T1S~

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

<_<

Part of my complaint is that if you're going to have someone draw a promotional comic, it seems like a pretty reasonable assumption that they'd need dependable reference material, meaning either the sets themselves or enough images of the sets that they know exactly what they look like.

The comics almost definitely aren't based on prototypes; the mask in Tahu's comic is his final mask, not his prototype mask. If Tahu's mask is correct to the final version, it doesn't make sense to me why other things would be based on prototypes early enough for Lewa's mask to have weird bunny ears (while otherwise being completely like the final design).

And that's not my only complaint, either; all sense of personality has been erased from these Toa. Some of them are even direct copies from panels from another Toa's comic with minimal changes (Tahu and PoF's first panel and Onua and PoE's first panel). Their limbs have been made blocky and rectangular, like G1 transformers, and like some Transformers comics, look like they've got the gout.

Overall, the quality of these comics are just disappointing. On the surface, they look nice, but closer examination reveals all kinds of weirdness that I'm not even sure when it's the artist's fault and when it's just poor communication (like the Skull Spiders becoming some kind of drones with no actual method of attaching to faces). Say what you will about the animation style (which I still adore for its expressiveness and personality), it knows how to represent sets in a way this style seems to be highly lacking in.

<_<

Except it doesn't. The animation they use now is so disappointing. Gali's flippers look like she has big feet.

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Except it doesn't. The animation they use now is so disappointing. Gali's flippers look like she has big feet.

What would you describe flippers as if not "big feet"?

and honestly besides some occasional thickness issues i don't see an issue with the accuracy of the flippers? they're just a more simplified version of the set's. She represents the set version just fine. Meanwhile, this version doesn't even have flippers.

• Upvote 6

and honestly besides some occasional thickness issues i don't see an issue with the accuracy of the flippers? they're just a more simplified version of the set's. She represents the set version just fine. Meanwhile, this version doesn't even have flippers.

Or a defined silhouette or defining features whatsoever.

• Upvote 4

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

No. No she does not represent the set version well at all. I would have preferred CGI to whatever the heck they decided to go with. And at least this version doesn't want to make me close down my entire laptop. 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Toa Chronix posted this up on our Facebook group and spotted something I don't think has been mentioned here. Kopaka's back to front fact on the back page... The whole set is mirrored. That wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't picked one of only 2 asymmetrical sets to do it with! 

It just sets the tone for the whole comic really, it's as if it was done by someone who didn't really know what they were working with. From getting the masks wrong to incorrect dimensions. Gali isn't even wearing her Kaukau in those images but the same mask as the protector. The mask of the protector of Stone is weird too as it appears differently in two adjacent panels. Look at the forehead.

I prefer this better defined, less cartoony art style to the stuff we're getting in the videos and instruction panels and would love to see it used in comics if we get them (or graphic novels ftw) but unfortunately it seems like this was a prototype or test piece so that's probably unlikely. I also find it rather lazy and somewhat irresponsible of TLG to release this as what appears to be an official comic when it's fairly clear it's not final at all. The same as all that concept artwork in the other publication that was shared (with the skull mask on the back) Yes it's nice to see it but there was no indication anywhere that it was just concept artwork. Seems a little misleading to fans on the lookout for new content and such...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

The Toa's masks in this comic remind me largely of the original Bionicle. I really like the Toa mask designs in this comic save for Lewa's. The Protectors annoy me in this due to their size and the masks don't look as cool. As far as the Toa design, I'll take the cartoon, everyday of the week. The cartoon is unique for Bionicle, while this comic doesn't seem too different in style compared to previous comics.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

It's true that the comic being discussed here is less unique than the cartoon style it seems we'll end up with. I'd argue that so many other publications probably aren't wrong though and, while both are good looking art styles, I'd personally prefer to see the more common (in my opinion better looking) style in future illustrations. Just because the cartoon style is more unique doesn't necessarily mean it's better for Bionicle after all. Of course, as an older fan, I'm probably biased towards more 'grown up' media so I am somewhat biased to start with...

Toa Chronix posted this up on our Facebook group and spotted something I don't think has been mentioned here. Kopaka's back to front fact on the back page... The whole set is mirrored. That wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't picked one of only 2 asymmetrical sets to do it with! 

It just sets the tone for the whole comic really, it's as if it was done by someone who didn't really know what they were working with. From getting the masks wrong to incorrect dimensions. Gali isn't even wearing her Kaukau in those images but the same mask as the protector. The mask of the protector of Stone is weird too as it appears differently in two adjacent panels. Look at the forehead.

I prefer this better defined, less cartoony art style to the stuff we're getting in the videos and instruction panels and would love to see it used in comics if we get them (or graphic novels ftw) but unfortunately it seems like this was a prototype or test piece so that's probably unlikely. I also find it rather lazy and somewhat irresponsible of TLG to release this as what appears to be an official comic when it's fairly clear it's not final at all. The same as all that concept artwork in the other publication that was shared (with the skull mask on the back) Yes it's nice to see it but there was no indication anywhere that it was just concept artwork. Seems a little misleading to fans on the lookout for new content and such...

For what it's worth, I thought it was perfectly obvious that the concept art in the American magazine and BIONICLE insert was concept art/development art. It never once crossed my mind that it might be anything else.

This, too, seems like it's probably concept art, though it's not nearly as obvious. I think people who accuse the artist of laziness should keep in mind that in that case, the blame might not lie with the artist, but rather with the marketing department that saw fit to publish this without any kind of disclaimer.

• Upvote 5

That's a very fair point. I've been pulling my hair out recently with games I've pre-ordered only to find they were rushed out the door half finished because the investors had a deadline. Not the developers fault but it still results in an inferior end-product. The same could be true of these comics in that deadlines had to be met or they were hastily edited with somewhat poor results (#cough# backwards Kopaka #cough#)

Even so, it's still a perfect example of how the artists are not always reliable in getting every single detail correct. :)

There's a difference between the colorist miscoloring a couple of characters—who were in the same scene together anyway—and the illustrator drawing the sets incorrectly from the get-go.  It's not a case of not always "getting every single detail correct", it's a case of getting the character completely wrong.  Whether it's a case of early prototypes being taken as final versions or the artist not knowing what they're drawing, the comics aren't very good and don't do a good job of representing the sets.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

There's a difference between the colorist miscoloring a couple of characters—who were in the same scene together anyway—and the illustrator drawing the sets incorrectly from the get-go.  It's not a case of not always "getting every single detail correct", it's a case of getting the character completely wrong.  Whether it's a case of early prototypes being taken as final versions or the artist not knowing what they're drawing, the comics aren't very good and don't do a good job of representing the sets.

...Or the artist knowing exactly what they were drawing and not caring too much about accuracy because it was merely concept art or a style test and not something intended for public consumption. We can't neglect that possibility.

The fact that the "storyline" of these comics feels like a rough, less eventful version of the "storyline" in the instruction manual comics leads me to believe this WAS a preliminary sequence that ended up leading to those. It does not surprise me that the LEGO Group would have sketched out versions of those comics before they knew exactly what style they would settle on or had finalized versions of the sets. It also would not surprise me if in those preliminary sequences, the artist would trace poses from other comics as a shortcut — hence the similarities to images from other comics observed on Eurobricks, the similarities between the individual Toa's comics, and the Toa and Protectors all having more or less the same body proportions.

• Upvote 5

...Or the artist knowing exactly what they were drawing and not caring too much about accuracy because it was merely concept art or a style test and not something intended for public consumption. We can't neglect that possibility.

That's what I was trying to get at with the "early prototypes being taken as final", but looking back I didn't word it that well.

OpAXNpl.jpg

That's what I was trying to get at with the "early prototypes being taken as final", but looking back I didn't word it that well.

Oh, OK, I thought you were referring to the comics being based on prototype versions of the sets (like some of the classic BIONICLE comics and movies), and not to the comics THEMSELVES being preliminary.

Oh, OK, I thought you were referring to the comics being based on prototype versions of the sets (like some of the classic BIONICLE comics and movies), and not to the comics THEMSELVES being preliminary.

I was sort of trying to say both at the same time (they could be early comics based on prototype sets or they could be early sets used in preliminary comics), and failed pretty badly.

OpAXNpl.jpg