Battle for the Gold Mask Grand Prize Winner Announced

2015-01-14_bftgm_teaser.jpg

The judges have looked through the entries again and again - after all their deliberations they have finally decided upon a winner of the gold skull spider mask. Congratulations to Akutahn by Roa McToa of our very own BZPower, the grand prize winner of the Battle for the Gold Mask! You can head over to ReBrick to see the full announcement as well as an interview with the builder, Breann. This has been one of the biggest and most elaborate contests I've seen LEGO host, and a huge thanks goes out to them for allowing us to participate. Congrats again to all the winners, especially Roa McToa! I look forward to working with some of the great LEGO fansites out there in the future since this went over so well!

View the full article

• Upvote 4

Congratulations, Breann!!! :D  :happydance:  :winner:  :lol:  :)  You well-deserved that prize, and I hope to see more of your MOCs in the future, because they're always really awesome! Have fun displaying that shiny gold mask! (Or using it MOCs, whichever you prefer. :P )

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

The MOC with the most parts wins. Not surprised. It's quite an impressive piece, but i feel like a parts limit would've given other contenders a better chance. Congrats anyways, Roa.

Its got nothing to do with the quantity of parts though. Someone could have used several thousand parts on a entry but if it didn't look good it wouldn't have gotten anywhere in the contest.

• Upvote 2

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

The MOC with the most parts wins. Not surprised. It's quite an impressive piece, but i feel like a parts limit would've given other contenders a better chance. Congrats anyways, Roa.

Its got nothing to do with the quantity of parts though. Someone could have used several thousand parts on a entry but if it didn't look good it wouldn't have gotten anywhere in the contest.

Not going to debate this, It's not just Roa, it was a bit of the finalists in general. In my opinion, the smaller scale pieces blew some of the larger ones out of the water in terms of unique parts usage, original design, and just being visually pleasant to look at. Yet they placed below other MOC's that only had size as a true contender. It's just a lopsided competition, because there are plenty of Moccers out there that possess the talent, but just lack the funding for models of such scale. Edited by Kek
  • Upvote 3
Signature Guidelines: Image size may not exceed 250x100 combined or 468x60 combined.

Wow i never expected to win! I am thankful and grateful. I plan to build a trophy room for one of my mocs and this will have a special place within. I am so excited! Ive never won anything this big before. :)

• Upvote 11

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

Not going to debate this, It's not just Roa, it was a bit of the finalists in general. In my opinion, the smaller scale pieces blew some of the larger ones out of the water in terms of unique parts usage, original design, and just being visually pleasant to look at. Yet they placed below other MOC's that only had size as a true contender. It's just a lopsided competition, because there are plenty of Moccers out there that possess the talent, but just lack the funding for models of such scale.

Being able to make good-looking small mocs doesn't mean that you can make decent big ones

TheSkeletonMan939, Twister92, SPIRIT and Gatanui are awesome for uploading soundtracks and games and stuff.

Not going to debate this, It's not just Roa, it was a bit of the finalists in general. In my opinion, the smaller scale pieces blew some of the larger ones out of the water in terms of unique parts usage, original design, and just being visually pleasant to look at. Yet they placed below other MOC's that only had size as a true contender. It's just a lopsided competition, because there are plenty of Moccers out there that possess the talent, but just lack the funding for models of such scale.

Being able to make good-looking small mocs doesn't mean that you can make decent big ones

Being able to make a large MOC doesn't mean you possess more skill over somebody else. Having a limited amount of resources and being able to create something substantial takes talent. Some of the individual websites' semi finalists went above and beyond with what they had put into their entries. Edited by Kek
  • Upvote 2
Signature Guidelines: Image size may not exceed 250x100 combined or 468x60 combined.

I think a parts limit would have been a rather pointless limitation. Some people work better at a larger scale, or have ideas that take a lot of parts to execute. There's no point in putting an arbitrary constraint on people's creativity in a contest that is designed to be fairly open-ended

If anything, future contests like this should maybe have size categories: so there would be one category for models no larger than 5 inches / 12.7 centimeters / 16 modules in any dimension, another category for models no larger than 10 inches / 25.4 centimeters / 32 modules in any dimension, and another category for models larger than ten inches in one or more dimensions. But of course, the way this contest was set up, that wouldn't have worked, because the end goal of the contest was to narrow things down to one winner from each site and one grand prize winner from all the sites.

• Upvote 6

I think a parts limit would have been a rather pointless limitation. Some people work better at a larger scale, or have ideas that take a lot of parts to execute. There's no point in putting an arbitrary constraint on people's creativity in a contest that is designed to be fairly open-ended

If anything, future contests like this should maybe have size categories: so there would be one category for models no larger than 5 inches / 12.7 centimeters / 16 modules in any dimension, another category for models no larger than 10 inches / 25.4 centimeters / 32 modules in any dimension, and another category for models larger than ten inches in one or more dimensions. But of course, the way this contest was set up, that wouldn't have worked, because the end goal of the contest was to narrow things down to one winner from each site and one grand prize winner from all the sites.

Size catagories sound promising, Aanchir. A much better solution. Edited by Kek
  • Upvote 3

It's an amazing MOC, but isn't using modified parts against the rules?

He painted some Pohatu boomerangs silver for the neck.

EDIT: He used them on the legs too. 

I think those might be prototypes.

The rules don't saying anything about those being against the rules or not, not that I remember anyway.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

It's an amazing MOC, but isn't using modified parts against the rules?

He painted some Pohatu boomerangs silver for the neck.

EDIT: He used them on the legs too. 

I think those might be prototypes.

The rules don't saying anything about those being against the rules or not, not that I remember anyway.

Eh, I have edited my comments. Forget about it. They could be swapped and the MOC would win anyway.

Edited by Toa Chronix

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Amazing! Congrats! Awesome to see a BZP member win and a person I recognize :)

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Going to echo the comments about feeling like the size outweighed style, again. I'm not surprised by the results, but I don't remotely agree with them.

I would have picked the snake guy, personally. But whatevs, I'm not in charge of the contest, the six panelists were in charge of the semi-finalists and TLG chose the winner. They get to do what they want.

Congrats Roa.

• Upvote 9

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Going to echo the comments about feeling like the size outweighed style, again. I'm not surprised by the results, but I don't remotely agree with them.

I would have picked the snake guy, personally. But whatevs, I'm not in charge of the contest, the six panelists were in charge of the semi-finalists and TLG chose the winner. They get to do what they want.

Congrats Roa.

The tentacle villain was my favorite amongst the finalists as well. The rest were just eyesores.

A very big congratulations, Roa. Beautiful creations and a well deserved win.

The interview says you sort by color - I started with sorting by piece type, but I found that method stunted my imagination because I'd have to know which element I wanted to use first. Switched to color organization a while back, and it's been better ever since, since now I can see all the pieces that might work in a color scheme, and go from there.

I also feel that these results used size as too large of a factor. The MOC was awesome, but the general results here are just continuing the misguided trend of bigger=automatically better. 

Still, that's not to knock the winner. The MOC was fantastic. Congratulations. 

Edited by The Swimming Beard
  • Upvote 3

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

I didn't think Roa's MOC should've won. Granted, it was a really, really good MOC, but I feel there were far better MOCs entered. Helsephyr, not to mention that one guardian thing with an orange Rau, were better in my opinion.

Just once, I want to see a contest where the winner wasn't abnormally huge.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Congrats Roa.

The snake guy was an exceptional build... but I think using a mask from the red-and-black lead villain of the classic Bionicle for a red-and-black "ultimate villain" for the new Bionicle counts against it as far as creativity is concerned. And there were plenty of other titanic builds in the running—size certainly wasn't the only factor in Roa's win.

Anyway, congrats, Roa! Hope you enjoy that shiny gold mask!

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Congratulations on the win. My only issue is that... it doesn't feel really original. Yes, it's a great exposition on the traditional black-red-silver monstrous Makuta, but nonetheless, I would have liked to have seen the winner be something completely new and trendsetting in its own right. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Gratz Roa! I was hoping (and expecting) that this would win. I love everything about it! Very jealous for the golden mask of course :P 

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Congratulations on a well deserved win!

The tentacle villain was my favorite amongst the finalists as well. The rest were just eyesores.

The tentacle villain was quite cool but I hardly think that the rest were eyesores.  I find that statement quite hurtful personally.   It's fine to state your opinion but there is no need to be rude about it.  

Edited by Gamma-Ray
  • Upvote 2

fazelynx_100.jpgunit_t4-z6a_100.jpgsharp_ed_100.jpgmt-05_100.jpgaeolus_100.jpgzaldrizes_100.jpghysleria_100.jpgnivawk_100.jpg

Congrats on the win! Maybe we'll get to see a creation using the golden Skull Spider mask someday? :3

I wouldn't recommend it, personally. If the mask is pure gold, the stress of the mask connection would probably be enough to push the prongs apart after repeated use.

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of gold.

I thought the mask was 14K - that means it has other metals in its construction as well as gold. It should hold up pretty good. 

Congratulations to Roa. :)