Battle for the Gold Mask Grand Prize Winner Announced

Many congrats, Roa! Very cool that the Rebrick folks took the time to interview you, to boot.

There were some really spectacular entries in this contest; if this is indicative of what kind of turnout multi-site contests can wrangle up, here's hoping we'll see more of them in the future.  And a thanks again to all the organizers and judges!

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Going to echo the comments about feeling like the size outweighed style, again. I'm not surprised by the results, but I don't remotely agree with them.

I would have picked the snake guy, personally. But whatevs, I'm not in charge of the contest, the six panelists were in charge of the semi-finalists and TLG chose the winner. They get to do what they want.

Congrats Roa.

The tentacle villain was my favorite amongst the finalists as well. The rest were just eyesores.

A reminder that bashing any of the MOCs and/or builders - that is, calling them "eyesores" - is poor conduct and will only serve to get you barred from other BZPower building contests. Let's remember our manners, people.
  • Upvote 2
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

Going to echo the comments about feeling like the size outweighed style, again. I'm not surprised by the results, but I don't remotely agree with them.

I would have picked the snake guy, personally. But whatevs, I'm not in charge of the contest, the six panelists were in charge of the semi-finalists and TLG chose the winner. They get to do what they want.

Congrats Roa.

The tentacle villain was my favorite amongst the finalists as well. The rest were just eyesores.

A reminder that bashing any of the MOCs and/or buil ders - that is, calling them "eyesores" - is poor conduct and will only serve to get you barred from other BZPower building contests. Let's remember our manners, people.

Allow me to be more thorough then, if my comment seemed too offensive. All the other entries had going for them imo is size. They look formidable, but at the same time cluttered. There's just too much going on. There's so many tubes, spikes, pistons, and holes in Roa's MOC for example, that I personally find the end result lackluster. Sorry if eyesore is really too harsh of a term. I'll be a little more considerate next time.

Signature Guidelines: Image size may not exceed 250x100 combined or 468x60 combined.

How did I know the comments would look like this...

I really think most of you don't understand how challenging it is to make a large MOC, especially one that is both sturdy and aesthetically pleasing. Small MOCs take talent. So do large ones, ESPECIALLY in constraction. The detail of this MOC is fantastic, the proportioning is good, and the feel of the entire MOC fits very well with what you would expect of a villain. He's menacing and deserves to be compared to the likes of Teridax, and as I'm sure will come in time, Makuta Gen2.

Can we stop playing the 'less money, not fair' card? As someone mentioned before, more doesn't automatically mean better and the build could have looked bad, but she has both the part count and the talent to make it look good. Part limits couldn't be maintained in a virtuallly-held competition, and as smaller MOCs in the finals showed, talent exists in all sizes. If I were to say "if only I were rich and could have amazing horses, I'd be the best polo player in the world" doesn't mean I deserve to win an award riding the neighbor's pony. Stop asking for equal ground because it will never happen.

Besides, come on. I really don't think a Toa-sized MOC of any talent deserves to win the largest Bionicle competition in existence thus far. How anticlimatic would that be, especially for younger fans? If Akutahn was shown in the next magazine, people would see it and say "I can see why that won, that's impressive." Put in something small, no matter how well designed, and people will look and say, "THAT won? Shoot, I could have done something better than that." ...whether that's true or not.

signature.png

• Upvote 4

signature.png