Googlewhacking! (game)

Munty

Hi all, it's early morning here and I've finally accomplished something I vowed I would do in the New Year! The house my family and I stayed in to see in the New Year was awash with literature and the closest book to my bedroom just so happened to be Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure! I know, I had no idea what that meant either... Essentially it boils down to this chap finding 10 googlewhacks in a row, but that's not important. What's important is, I just found my first one!

Wait, what's a Googlewhack you say? Well I shall tell you! Or rather I shall copy-paste information from somewhere else and that shall tell you...

What? What?! Visit Google. Submit a query of two words, but don't use quote marks. (Quotes tell Google to find the enclosed words immediatelyadjacent - and that's just too easy!) Use no punctuation in your words, and no numbers (just 26 letters from A through Z). Find two words that return one result, then see whether Whack agrees (Whack may not see the same results you see). Whack only accepts words between 4 and 30 characters in length. (Any shorter or longer, again, that's just too easy!) To add to The Whack Stack, please respect these simple guidelines (Whack decides; no exceptions). What are the rules? Rule Number One: Your two Googlefactors must exist in Google's view of legitimate words in this dictionary. Not your view;Google's view! Google does the work, and Google has the final word on what may be legitimate! In the blue bar atop your Google results, accepted terms are linked, and so appear 'underlined.' No line, no link, or no legitimate word = Googlejack! (As in, You've gotjack, so see the FAQ :-) 

Rule Number Two: Google also is the arbiter of a whack's uniqueness. Look to the right end of the blue bar atop your Google results. If you see "Results 1 - 1 of (any number),' you found exactly one hit = Googlewhack! 

Rule Number Three: Google shows you an excerpt of the page you whacked. Look at that text. If it's merely a list of words (such as a bibliography, concordance, encyclopedia, glossary, thesaurus, dictionary, domain names, or plain old machine-generated random garbage), No Whack For You!

I decided while reading this odd book that I too should find myself a Googlewhack and go down in history as one of the greats. I never actually tried until last night though (as I had poor internet over New Year - hence was reading a book!) I put in a few crackers but the best I found was barely under a thousand hits and many of them were dictionary pages which is rather disheartening. I'm still not sure how to remove these results from  a search...

Today however I've found my first whack! Of course I can't type it out or the whack will be compromised but here is a pic of my accomplishment!

Googlewhacked_zps5498ae93.png

Sadly, the eagle eyed out there may spot immediately what I did not. There is in fact one suppressed result which, sadly may mean this is not a true whack. Though on checking both links they actually both direct to the same page and one of the search terms I used only appears one time so I think it is still actually valid but for some reason created a duplicate result...

Anywya, I may try a few more to see if I can find a 100% undeniable whack but thought it would be fun to share the experience here and see if anyone else fancied trying this out and how many of our members could find a whack/whacks! If there is significant participation then all successful members can be named in this post. I'd also be interested as to whether others think my first whack is valid or not. I was initially sceptical but having now followed the links I believe it may be...

Good morning, good luck and good whacking to all!

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!