Is Makuta 2015 really the villain?

I know the title may sound a little weird, but hear me out.  :begging:

In "The Legend", it is stated that Makuta created the Mask of Ultimate Power, and that when he put on the mask, it took control over him. So, does this make Makuta the villain or the Mask of Ultimate Power-controlled Makuta the villain? If this is the case, maybe Makuta had no clue what he was really getting himself into while creating the mask, and only found the dire consequences after the damage had already been done. I don't know about you, but I, personally, would like to see his role reversed in this reboot.

So, what do you think about this?  :???:

It's possible, but keep in mind he'd already done something villainous by breaking the law he'd agreed to by making the mask in the first place. Lots of villain origin stories have the villain be drawn deeper into it after an initial less serious villainous act, beyond their ability or desire to fight it. And it doesn't seem likely he thought he had a chance of gaining the villagers' respect after breaking that law, so he was probably planning to use it for worse things anyways.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 4

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Or perhaps the Mask will be like the One Ring, and it just corrupts everyone it touches. Makuta may be first, and we'll have the Toa battle him for a while before supposedly getting rid of the mask. Makuta is humbled, goes back to mask making, but then some other sinister force discovers the mask and wreaks more havoc.

• Upvote 2

2015 Makuta was a jerk, but he was hardly the monster he was in G1. He made the Mask of Ultimate Power because he was envious and arrogant, not because he wanted to destroy or dominate others. The mask took control of him, so he didn't start destroying Okoto out of his own free will. If Makuta wakes up and doesn't have the Mask of Ultimate Power, I'm guessing he will either be a villain greedily trying to find his old mask or an anti-hero trying to make up for his mistake.

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 2

I would like to see Makuta be the main villain at first, but his motives being led more by jealously and resentment of Ekimu than a hunger for ruling Okoto and possibly other places in the Gen 2 Bionicle universe. But later on, after the Toa defeat him, then he could see the error of his ways and at least attempt to make up for his selfish ways. He could become an ally for the Toa at that time, like Garmadon did with the ninja in Ninjago. And together, they could face whatever new threat appears in the story.

I think that would be really cool to see play out in the story.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Oh yeah, let's repurpose the villain of Ninjago and put a bionicle coat of paint on it. Seriously though. Didn't the legend say he made the mask not for the power or to rule, but to be respected as a mask maker? I mean Akimu's masks were more desired so Makuta was jealous or envious but not inherently evil. Are you evil because your brother gets the cooler toys or you are not picked as often as your friends to do something cool? No, but it could make you work harder to improve your "craft" to best the competition. Or do something illegal and against the rules. I think this is what Makuta was actually doing this time around. I mean it says it right there in the legend.

It was a sacred law that a mask could never contain the power of more than one element. Otherwise it would become too strong and dangerous. But Makuta wants to create the strongest mask of all time... The mask of Ultimate Power...

it also says it was an evil plan. Well that seems a bit harsh but anything you do to "cheat" or break the law is wrong and could be seen as evil. Not even just a law but a "Sacred" law. Makuta was desperate to be treated as an equal to his brother. It drove him to this. I say to you, Akimu is the evil one... not Makuta...

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I honestly can't see G2 Makuta as a villan. But to be honest, it's kind of hard to make something new with his unwilling-villan character trope (unless they decide to never bring him up again, which I doubt). At least I hope they give him an interesting personallity like G1 Teridax.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps Makuta will remain an ally of Ekimu and the Toa throughout the story, but gradually descend into madness and anger when he does not receive as much gratitude and attention as Ekimu or the Toa, and he becomes more and more villainous. Then, he dons the Mask of Ultimate Power again, and eventually is able to control the power. He ends up using it for his own selfish deeds as the Mask continues to corrupt him with it's (ultimate) power, leading to a boss battle between his brother and the Toa.

That's how I would do it.

• Upvote 1

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

I'd say Makuta definitely won't be the main villain himself at least for a while, due to being knocked out.

But yes, from the early videos I did get the impression that his main crime was envy, and that the Mask does seem to be acting in an evil manner on its own, so in all likelihood it will be more of a villain than Makuta.

~B~

• Upvote 1

Dang I've just tried to find the other topic with a load of good discussion on this exact topic but I can't seem to. If anyone knows which topic it was a link would be great. Even some quotes from the most worthy posts so far would help this topic along.

I posted quite a bit in there myself but can't remember the details so probably best not to go over it again and keep looking instead. I think there's a lot to be said for having Makuta be envious but not evil. The mask is clearly stated to take control and I think it's easy to take that literally. When the mask is removed, he falls into a trance but the mask is still using him as a form of host and somehow uses it's own powers to manifest the skull spiders to help reunite it with it's maker. I think that in time this will happen just as the Toa seem to have defeated the skull spiders. Once the MoUP is reunited with Makuta however it's power will grow and we will see far more powerful villains/skull spider forms enter the story. Perhaps as summer sets. 

Will keep looking for the other post, would be good to at least link to it for people interested in this conversation!

Also a final note. I've never been into Ninjago so I don't know anything about the badguy who keeps being mentioned (in the other thread too) as having this bad-good transformation/revelation. I'd suggest though that just because they did it in Ninjago shouldn't mean they can't do it again in Bionicle. I can't imagine the two lnes share a considerably large portion of their fanbase can they? Constraction and minifig based system are pretty different animals IMO... Also, how many dozen times has the bad guy 'just been evil'? If it's ok for them to do that same old story over and over again then why not this remorseful puppet storyline?

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Makuta's envy in Generation 2 isn't so different to Generation 1, where Teridax started down the path to evil because he was envious of Mata Nui.

In G1, the Matoran were all worshipping Mata Nui even though the Makuta were arguably doing more for the Matoran, by overseeing their cities, producing Rahi etc. Hence Teridax decided to replace Mata Nui and become the Great Spirit himself, so that he would be worshipped as he felt he deserved. Teridax was always a great strategist, but the actions his plan required were so terrible that they changed who he was over time, creating the "evil" being who the Matoran feared. By the time he succeeded in replacing Mata Nui there was no chance that the Matoran would respect him, and by then his goal had shifted to forcing them to worship him through conquest.

• Upvote 1
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Also a final note. I've never been into Ninjago so I don't know anything about the badguy who keeps being mentioned (in the other thread too) as having this bad-good transformation/revelation. I'd suggest though that just because they did it in Ninjago shouldn't mean they can't do it again in Bionicle. I can't imagine the two lnes share a considerably large portion of their fanbase can they? Constraction and minifig based system are pretty different animals IMO... Also, how many dozen times has the bad guy 'just been evil'? If it's ok for them to do that same old story over and over again then why not this remorseful puppet storyline?

Allow me to enlighten you my friend.

Ninjago story(timline) regarding Lord Garmadon is as follows. Sorry it is a long list and there may be parts I am missing or just omitted for speed's sake. Oh and spoilering this for anyone who does not want to know or has not seen the series yet.

1) The Island of Ninjago was created long ago by the first Spinjitsu Master while fighting the great darkness.

2) During the battle the neither side seemed to gain the advantage for long

3) The First Spinitsu master in a last ditch effort separated the land into light and darkness. Creating the fabled dark island. This Island and the dark lord of it had been lost to legend.

4) The first Spinjitsu master had two sons, Garmadon and Wu. Knowing this time of piece would not last for ever he started training his sons in Spinjitsu for the coming return of the dark lord.

5) During their Training there was an imbalance of skill between the brothers. Also a fabled creature called the Great Devourer managed to bite Garmadon. The poison of this snake can/will turn even the purest of souls evil.

6) Skip ahead a bunch of years Garmadon get's married and has a son, Loyd. He is also seemingly defeated by his brother and cast into some form of Shadow/darkness realm. Only now able to manifest himself in a shadow-like form in the real world.

7) Sensei Wu, fearing his brother's return took 4 golden weapons and hid them across Ninjago.

8) Garmadon returns and tried to enlist skull minions to help retrieve these 4 golden spinjitsu weapons. After a Battle he looses.

9) The Ninja meet up with Loyd Garmadon and after some unfortunate events regarding releasing the fabled Serpentine he becomes a good guy due to a prophecy that says he will have to fight the dark lord. Thought to be his Father who by this time was transformed into a four-armed samurai armored bad guy. Oh and he was rescued by Wu to help save Loyd.

10) The Great Devourer Now the length of a large building is released and starts eating everything in sight. I mean everything, buldings, vehicles, people, ect... Growing ever larger and more unstoppable.

11) Garmadon after convincing the Ninja to let him use the golden weapons defeats the Great Devourer and vanishes with said weapons.

12) Garmadon continues on his quest to rid the world of the Ninja, his brother and take over. Eventually becoming so desperate he searches out this dark island and meets the Dark Lord in a spectral cloud form.

13) more events take place where Loyd and Garmadon face off, Garmadon is taken over by the Dark lord hereby becoming the Dark lord. The fight takes itself to ninjago where Loyd's "Golden Light" powers eventually manifest themselves allowing hi to defeat the Dark Lord.

14) Garmadon is finally released from his evil curse becoming good and taking a vow to never fight again, however is still willing to help train the ninja and Loyd.

This is the general timeline for Lord Garmadon. I hope this was helpful to you and you are more than welcome to pick out what you feel could relate to Makuta's current plight.

• Upvote 1

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I actually want to see the MoUP become the main villain of the first 3 years. After losing Makuta, it creates a sort of physical form for itself and begins terrorizing the island, ala post 2005, pre 2001 (timeline wise) and becomes the Big Bad while Ekimu (our resident Big Good) and the Toa fight against it. It'd be neat if Makuta came back as sort of an Eleventh Hour Ranger, coming to redeem himself and become the Bigger Good.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

This is the general timeline for Lord Garmadon. I hope this was helpful to you and you are more than welcome to pick out what you feel could relate to Makuta's current plight.

Thanks for the info Prowl, that sounds like a seriously crazy storyline right there. But then Bionicle probably sounds much stranger when you compress it to just a few bullet points! still, without knowing all the ins and outs of the Ninjago storyline and Garmadon's character development it doesn't sound like there's any reason why that should interfere with Bionicle if they want to make Makuta good. Obviously it wouldn't be the same story because Makuta is neither a father or a son and certainly not a ninja. It's also unlikely that he'll visit Okoto's evil twin island and be merged with an evil cloud thing... So yeah, I think Lego is pretty much free to do whatever they want with this and people can stop comparing it to Garmadon now :P

• Upvote 1

"I think it's more likely that the MoUP is evil than Makuta at this point." 

Writing it out way makes it sounds like it has less sense than the alternative. That theory occurred to me immediately, but it requires the MoUP to have its own mind and malevolent intentions (possibly inherited from its brief contact with Makuta?). We don't know either of these things for sure.

Contrast that with Makuta, who we know has a mind and did have evil intentions - at least long enough to do a rash thing for his own benefit. It would seem more likely that he would be the real villain from the evidence we have.  

Thanks for the info Prowl, that sounds like a seriously crazy storyline right there. But then Bionicle probably sounds much stranger when you compress it to just a few bullet points! still, without knowing all the ins and outs of the Ninjago storyline and Garmadon's character development it doesn't sound like there's any reason why that should interfere with Bionicle if they want to make Makuta good. Obviously it wouldn't be the same story because Makuta is neither a father or a son and certainly not a ninja. It's also unlikely that he'll visit Okoto's evil twin island and be merged with an evil cloud thing... So yeah, I think Lego is pretty much free to do whatever they want with this and people can stop comparing it to Garmadon now :P

I think the similarities are more along the lines of:

1) Two brothers, one good the other becoming evil or otherwise taken over by evil from an outside source. Garmadon it was the bite of the Great Devourer and then the Lord of Darkness. For Makuta it's the MoUP.

2) The two battle.

3) Both Makuta and Garmadon seemingly vanish without a trace.

4) Both use Skull themed minions to collect golden objects of power. Garmadon it was the weapons of Power, Makuta the Golden Masks of power.

5) Both could patronize the good guys for a length of time before being redeemed. Garmadon does, Makuta; will have to see how the story plays out.

Anyway, there can be seen similarities between the two characters and their opening story arcs. Even though Makuta is no ninja and Garmadon is no Bionicle... the similarities are still there. So I think that is what they are saying there.

I don't really see this as a far streatch of the possible truth.

"I think it's more likely that the MoUP is evil than Makuta at this point." 

Writing it out way makes it sounds like it has less sense than the alternative. That theory occurred to me immediately, but it requires the MoUP to have its own mind and malevolent intentions (possibly inherited from its brief contact with Makuta?). We don't know either of these things for sure.

Contrast that with Makuta, who we know has a mind and did have evil intentions - at least long enough to do a rash thing for his own benefit. It would seem more likely that he would be the real villain from the evidence we have.

I don't see this as being too far from a possible truth. Though I also would not be surprised that even though in the Legend it says "Makuta hatched an evil plan" It may have been his own doing. If we take a pull from Ninjago and possibly even other franchises. One could suggest that Makuta was influenced by a darker force. Perhaps the MoUP already existed in some form and needed a pawn to help give it a physical form. Enter Makuta. His Envy was the perfect catalyst. Then he tried to take over Makuta's body to have one of its own. This can be seen in Ninjago where Garmadon's body is taken over by the Ultimate evil.

However unlike or perhaps just like Ninjago, The "victim" was saved by the good guy shortly after. Based on watching the video again it seems almost if the cracking of the island happened as soon as Makuta put on the mask. Not because he chose to do it, but rather because of the outlandish power in the mask. Think of it like when a character from Dragonball Z Transforms. The planet shakes, storms erupt, and the area get's damaged. Immediately after Akimu smashed the mask off. So they may have been still at the forge.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf
  • Upvote 1

Onua.png

* All quotes have been significantly cut down ;)

... it requires the MoUP to have its own mind and malevolent intentions (possibly inherited from its brief contact with Makuta?). ...

I know you're making this comment in a sceptical light but I'm actually a fan of this theory. I hadn't actually considered the MoUP having a 'life' upon it's creation until you mentioned it but if it did't (which would make more sense) it seems quite possible that it took one from Makuta. This could be why he was left in a vegatative state... Perhaps it even took the life from Ekimu as well, in which case when Ekimu is inevitably awoken, perhaps the MoUP will lose some of it's strength (think Cell whiel we're in Dragonball territory :P) It could also be that the mask literally absorbed some of Makuta into itself, taking all of the jealousy he had for his brother and the ill-intentions that were at the very front of his mind when donning the mask, and created an identity for itself out of this small snapshot of Makuta as a whole. 

It is afterall unlikely that Makuta is wholly evil as has been discussed already. Just as likely is that he saw red in a fit of jealousy and did something stupid (I bet many of us have done similar!) He didn't have any idea what the MoUP would be capable of and so recieved a nasty shock when he put it on!

I think the similarities are more along the lines of:

1) Two brothers, one good the other becoming evil or otherwise taken over by evil from an outside source. Garmadon it was the bite of the Great Devourer and then the Lord of Darkness. For Makuta it's the MoUP.
2) The two battle.
3) Both Makuta and Garmadon seemingly vanish without a trace.
4) Both use Skull themed minions to collect golden objects of power. Garmadon it was the weapons of Power, Makuta the Golden Masks of power.
5) Both could patronize the good guys for a length of time before being redeemed. Garmadon does, Makuta; will have to see how the story plays out.

Anyway, there can be seen similarities between the two characters and their opening story arcs. Even though Makuta is no ninja and Garmadon is no Bionicle... the similarities are still there. So I think that is what they are saying there.

Yep, that certainly does sound more Bionicly! I still don't think people should be so quick to draw lines between the two stories though. I mean really, when was the last time you saw a horror film without teenagers in it? An action film where the bad guy wasn't actually the good guys best friend all along? A rom-com when the two leading characters DON'T end up together in the end? Sometimes different stories share the same tropes. Quite often in fact, that's kind of what tropes are :D As long as they don't use a carbon copy of a pre-existing story then it's all good IMO!

One interesting thing is that Makuta physically transforms upon donning the Mask of Ultimate Power, becoming black and red and growing taller. It's almost as if the mask changes its host to look like some specific persona... 

Nice point. Someone else mentioned above about the cracking during this scene too and that it could possibly be involuntary on Makuta's part which I find interesting as well. It could simply be that both this and the transformation of Makuta were results of the merging of their powers. I'm still a fan of the Mask absorbing Makuta's negative traits at this moment and feeding off them to develop a personality of it's own. Sounds plausible, though I'm not sure what the purpose or cause of Makut'a transformation could be (aside from giving us a cool looking set later on of course :P)

I actually quite like the idea of the MoUP being a Big Bad Macguffin, kinda like if the Ignika was evil. If the theory other people have about the MoUP being Gen2's Vahi is true, than we might definitely be looking towards a Showdown at the Temple of Time.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

@Munty & Prowl Nightwolf: 

I'm not denying that either of you all's theories could be true. Both of them are indeed possible. What I'm saying is that it's less likely, from an objective analysis of probability, that the MoUP could be the main villain over Makuta. 

Chance of Makuta having a mind: 100%. (The being makes masks - obviously that requires mental capacity.)

Chance of Makuta having evil intentions after he wakes up: 75%. (The mask took control, turning him black, indicating that he became more evil. He had jealous intentions to begin with, cemented in an act of rebellion. It's possible that he could regret his actions because the Mask took him over, he lost control and he needed his brother to save him and express gratitude for the save, but it's just as likely that he could be mad at his brother for taking his ultimate powuh away. "I could have gotten control if you hadn't interfered!" Plus the "Mask Hoarder" thing.)

Chance of Makuta being a villain: 75%. 

Chance of the MoUP having a mind: 60%. (The words "took control over him" imply that it does, but it could be that Makuta just lost control over the Mask. Also living masks exist. *insert Skull Spiders here*) 

Chance of the MoUP being evil, if it has a mind: 50% (It could have taken evil intentions from Makuta's mind, but the shockwave could be just it playing, like it was a child and just getting used to itself. After all, using fire, water, ice, stone, earth, and jungle all at once or just having access to all of that would overwhelm a child's mind. They might react in weird ways to having all of that power that would seem innocent to them but really hurt others because they don't get it.

Chances of MoUP being a villain: 30%. 

And then there's the possibility that both are a threat/malicious/villainous, and the possibility that neither of them are (didn't we get introduced to a bunch of Skull Spiders that could possibly fill the villain slot? Yarr.). So I don't think we can make assumptions at this point. :shrugs:  

Is that a trick question :P? A Theory is just that because it is not yet proven true. "I have a theory what will happen and here it why". Though a stab in the dark could be shown to be just as accurate as any with viable facts to back it up, lol.

@Fishers64: I can agree that the phrase "it took over him" could imply with the aid of the Skull spiders that the MoUP may be sentient to some extent. Though on the other side of the coin it could just mean that he was corrupted by it. Who was it that coined the phrase, "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."? Power of any kind can poison even the purest of hearts. Kind of like how drugs work. Has to do with a pleasure chemical release that makes you desire more and more until it ultimately destroys you. Though why they could not of just said "The mask Corrupted him." could be I am off on this assumption. Also I can get behind your idea of the mask being new and thus childish in nature and unable to control it's own power. Though not knowing how many of the elements are in the mask I could agree with you also that all of them may be in it.

On the Subject of the Skull spiders though, I think they work more like the Krana then actual masks themselves. Sure they can be worn like a mask but are not actually masks themselves. Also they have a swarm mentality like the Krana and are controlled by a queen type creature. So not sure how well using the Skull spiders work with helping suggest the MoUP could be sentient because of this.

@IcarusBen: See Majin Buu. Cannot really get much more "Evil childish villain" than him... lol.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf
  • Upvote 1

Onua.png

Possible, but not likely. Wouldn't you try doing/using ordinary masks against your enemy first instead of breaking sacred laws and going behind your brother's back? Or like tell your brother about the LoSS outside your door? :P

Frankly, that's a reason NOT to do something like that. If there's a bigger bad gunning for you, the better bet is to let that bad guy kill Ekimu instead of risking making a highly dangerous OP mask.

Edited by fishers64

I hope this Makuta is more just selfish and entitled than evil and Machiavellian. But wait a second... what if not only is Makuta not the villain, but Ekimu isn't the good guy? What if the force of good in Okoto is the Vahi, pitting the two most powerful masks--both made from the six elements--against each other? Maybe Ekimu's recitation of the prophecy was the Vahi speaking through him. Maybe the thing about awakening Ekimu is a red herring, and he really isn't all that great for anything besides making masks.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

From what I've seen I wouldn't be surprised if Makuta ends up being one of those characters who is introduced as an antagonist and becomes either an ally or neutral helper (as in that's his role from then on - not like in Time Trap or something which was only because he had to really). of the protagonists once the story moves on. They certainly haven't depicted him as being the epitome of all evil and have shown us somewhat why he is acting as he is in a relatable manner. Could be a cool turn of events I think.

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Possible, but not likely. Wouldn't you try doing/using ordinary masks against your enemy first instead of breaking sacred laws and going behind your brother's back? Or like tell your brother about the LoSS outside your door? :P

Frankly, that's a reason NOT to do something like that. If there's a bigger bad gunning for you, the better bet is to let that bad guy kill Ekimu instead of risking making a highly dangerous OP mask.

Here's a good chain of events to support my theory.

1. Bigger Bad comes to town and starts wrecking stuff.
  2. The Maskmakers try to use single-power masks but fail.
  3. Ekimu decides to become an Ancient and stick to the rules when said rules will get him killed, Makuta takes the role of Myrddin and breaks the rules to stop this evil.
  4. Makuta destroys or seals away evil
  5. Either Makuta becomes taken over by the mask and is saved by Ekimu, or jealous of Makuta's power, Ekimu betrays Makuta and seals them both away for all eternity, but not quite because Ekimu wants to exact revenge on Makuta or vice versa.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

It would be nice if Makuta became good this rotation. I mean thn Makuta were suppose to be good in Gen1 right? As some form of Protectors? So maybe this time Makuta will be able to fulfill his intended roll. 

Onua.png

I think it would be interesting if they followed the Chris Nolan Batman trilogy for the first three years. First year, the main bad guy is defeated (Makuta) and his accomplice is imprisoned (LoSS) but helps the villains in the later stories. Second year, a chaotic villain comes who stretches the heroes' virtues and morality. The third year, the force behind the first villain attack again (Mask of Ultimate Power). So, I'd like it if Makuta was no longer a villain after the first year

Here's a good chain of events to support my theory.

1. Bigger Bad comes to town and starts wrecking stuff.
  2. The Maskmakers try to use single-power masks but fail.
  3. Ekimu decides to become an Ancient and stick to the rules when said rules will get him killed, Makuta takes the role of Myrddin and breaks the rules to stop this evil.
  4. Makuta destroys or seals away evil
  5. Either Makuta becomes taken over by the mask and is saved by Ekimu, or jealous of Makuta's power, Ekimu betrays Makuta and seals them both away for all eternity, but not quite because Ekimu wants to exact revenge on Makuta or vice versa.

Pretty sure we would have seen some of that in the introductory videos if it were accurate! So nice story but I can't imagine for a single moment it will happen :P

Because the movies we've seen of the mask being forged, it taking control of Makuta, being knocked off and entering the coma, all happen without sight nor sound of any 'big-bad'. I would suggest that it might be mentioned, albeit subtly, if there was some horriffic monstrosity terrorising the island. But there's not.

Oh, and the fact that it clearly states Makuta made the MoUP purely because he was jealous of his brother. So pick one of those answers :D

• Upvote 2

As far as we know, the video is the Protector telling his son a story. Could it not be that centuries have turned Ekimu into this heroic figure and Makuta, who broke Ekimu's laws, is the villain?

Of course, remember, Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I kinda get the impression that Lego means for us to take the legends literally.  Then again, the entire background of G1 turned out to be literally just a legend, since even the Turaga had no idea what they were talking about, so I suppose it is possible that Ekimu is more than he appears to be... I just don't think that any sort of late-game surprise like that would be as drastic as "oh wait god was evil the whole time".  Maybe Ekimu is more/less powerful than the legends claim he is, but that's about the extent of what I think they'd do with regards to his part in the story.

Edited by DuplexBeGreat

idk man

Well legends in themselves are not so much true as having been based on a truth. Otherwise they would be history and not legends. So take what is written with a grain of protodurmis. There is truth there to be sure. However how much remains after years^100 of passing down the stories remains to be seen

Onua.png