Theory: Mata Nui 2015

WARNING: MASSIVE SPECULATION AHEAD

WARNING: GEN1 CONNECTION THEORY INCLUDED

The Question

When the new Legend was first revealed, I'm sure many others thought the same thing I did: "Where's Mata Nui?" For a storyline that is basically copying the outline from 2001, the absence of one of the most iconic names of the franchise was somewhat jarring. Mata Nui has been replaced not once, but twice: the revered patron is now Ekimu, and the Elemental island is now Okoto. At first glance, the character and the island have remained largely the same, so why the change in names? Why is the relaunched line distancing itself from Mata Nui?

No Mata Nui?

The simplest answer: there's no Mata Nui because there will be no Mata Nui. As Ekimu develops as a character, we may learn he's quite different from the Mata Nui we know and love, so the story team decided to divorce the two characters and abandon the old name entirely.

But I find this possibility to be inconsistent with Lego's approach in the new BIONICLE. We can point at Makuta, where they used the name and the broad strokes of the character, but he has different motivations (and, as some think, may be corrupted more than evil). Nostalgia is the big word today: we've got the Toa on masks quests, fighting mind-controlled animals, to save the villagers after their legendary leader has been put to sleep. Everything has been re-used and simplified.

We can also look at Lewa's change in Element or the personality changes in all the Toa to see that name recognition is not hindered by differences between generations. Mata Nui is the biggest in name recognition, being a major point of the story in every year of BIONICLE. Lego wouldn't abandon the name, so I think we'll definitely be seeing Mata Nui come back. There are several different ways I think this could happen, which I will lay out below.

Mata Nui is another hero from the past

Ekimu and Makuta appear to be Protectors in the Legend video. What if Mata Nui is a more powerful being? What if he will be summoned, much like the Toa were, from a time in the past?

There isn't a lot of ground to stand on for this one, but it's the simplest way for Mata Nui to return. Who knows what other prophecies the Protectors have? When times get dire, they may need to call on another hero of legend to help the Toa. But I think there will be more to Mata Nui than that.

Mata Nui is another Mask Maker

We've seen two Mask Makers that are brothers, but what if there are more? What if the family is not limited to two brothers, but if there is another brother? Or a father?

Not every Mask of Power has a known creator in the second generation. The Toa's masks were made by Ekimu, the MoUP was made by Makuta, but we don't know who made the Mask of Control or the Mask of Creation. It's possible Makuta or Ekimu made those, but we see them harnessing the Elemental powers of the island to make masks. Creation and Control don't fit this pattern (they're not Elements), so what if they were made by someone else, somewhere else, harnessing different power? Someone like Mata Nui? (Side note: if Mata Nui were a Mask Maker, he would probably wear the Mask of Life.)

Mata Nui has Returned

I will unabashedly admit that I hope for a connection between the Gen1 and Gen2 worlds. Not that the new storyline is continuing the rebuilding of Spherus Magna; just that there is a connection of some sorts. Lego has showed a tremendous amount of respect to their intellectual properties in stories like Ninjago (where TV-only characters like Dareth make their way into sets and current plots draw on Golden Weapons and Anacondrai from previous seasons) and the the LEGO Movie (featuring ancient astronauts and the Octan corpration), so I don't believe they will settle for mining the original BIONICLE storyline for ideas and inspiration. I feel there has to be a connection, much like Star Trek's new movies, where a main character from the earliest show appeared, along with an explanation of where the new universe came from.

Actually, Star Trek is a very good comparison. I think that Mata Nui will be the Spock of Bionicle Gen2. If only one character could carry over, Mata Nui would be the one to pick. As I said, he's the most iconic, being the focus of the entire storyline until he became the main character for the last two years. Also, only one individual would possibly have the willpower to control the ever-present Vahi to its full extent, using it to go back in time.

This explains best, to me, why we have two new names. Ekimu and Okoto replace both instances of Mata Nui so we didn't have three Mata Nui's (the Gen2 character, the island, and the Gen1 character) when the original one finally joins the story. The story team needed to make space to bring in our favorite Great Spirit.

To Summarize: He'll Be Back

Regardless of how it happens, I am confident that Mata Nui will eventually return. The story team would need a good reason to exclude him from the big comeback, and I can't think think of one for the life of me.

• Upvote 2

Mata Nui was always the keystone of Bionicle. Every effort of the Toa, from Mata to Nuva to Inika to Mahri, were all set to awaken Mata Nui. He is the Bionicle story of G1. I think Lego made a good decision to leave him out of G2 and I hope they continue to. G2 is fairly different from G1, but if we had Mata Nui in it as well, it would all just feel like some new adventure for the Toa. Lego is trying to break those ties with the unwieldy G1 story and give G2 a chance to stand on its own.

Still, your ideas are pretty cool. I'd like to see Mata Nui as some great titan from the past returning to destroy the evil, but I guess that's what the written works forums are for.

• Upvote 4

I wouldn't mind if there was a throwaway reference to some great figure of legend called Mata Nui in the new story, but not as an actual character or plot device. Click pretty much covered all the good reasons for why they'd avoid doing that again. 

More Mask Makers would be cool, though. Some ancient order of them of which Ekimu and Makuta were just a part of. If they do that for some reason, I would not complain. :)

• Upvote 4

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I prefer that Mata Nui, both the being and island, stay in the Gen 1 story and not be introduced into the Gen 2. Like Click said, Mata Nui played a huge role in the Gen 1 story. And I'd prefer that it be just the Toa and Makuta returning in the reboot. But that is just me.

• Upvote 4

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

This just in: Mask Makers G2's Great Beings?

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

WARNING: MASSIVE SPECULATION AHEAD

WARNING: GEN1 CONNECTION THEORY INCLUDED

Thumbs up for your warning :D 

Thumbs down for the rest :P Good thoughts but honestly so are many (ok some) of the other continuation theories we've seen. I'm just tired of seeing them at this point! 

I agree with others that hopefully there will be NO Mata Nui in this storyline. At all... Even a throwaway reference will inevitably connect this line to Gen1 for the canon fanatics and that's something that I couldn't stand to see! Mata Nui was the life blood of Gen 1, literally the entire universe! There's no way to include him in Gen 2 AT ALL without people making assumptions and drawing lines between the two stories. If TLG has made an active choice to keep him out of the story I would assume that is why, to reinforce the fact that these two lines are NOT connected...

• Upvote 2

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I'm of the opinion they did the reboot a disservice by using the names of the Toa Mata for the new heroes, so if I see Mata Nui show up anywhere in Gen2, I'll probably ragequit. And by ragequit I mean travel to the Story Team's location and set their office on fire.

• Upvote 1

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Mata Nui was always the keystone of Bionicle. Every effort of the Toa, from Mata to Nuva to Inika to Mahri, were all set to awaken Mata Nui. He is the Bionicle story of G1. I think Lego made a good decision to leave him out of G2 and I hope they continue to. G2 is fairly different from G1, but if we had Mata Nui in it as well, it would all just feel like some new adventure for the Toa. Lego is trying to break those ties with the unwieldy G1 story and give G2 a chance to stand on its own.

[Emphasis added]

You're saying that TLG would remove Mata Nui to differentiate G2 and G1. Thing is, it looks like they're doing the opposite; trying to thematically connect the two generations. Just look at their latest Facebook post; they're trying to get their new fans to find things from the old story! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're making you look up the old story to follow the new. But they new story is supposed to "remind us of an ancient era in BIONICLE history," not ignore it.

Even a throwaway reference will inevitably connect this line to Gen1 for the canon fanatics and that's something that I couldn't stand to see! Mata Nui was the life blood of Gen 1, literally the entire universe! There's no way to include him in Gen 2 AT ALL without people making assumptions and drawing lines between the two stories. If TLG has made an active choice to keep him out of the story I would assume that is why, to reinforce the fact that these two lines are NOT connected...

I don't think the set designers are terribly concerned with the storyline implications of including certain characters. TLG's motivations are somewhat alien to us. We, as S&T posters, are concerned with the storyline, so we tend to consider issues of canonicity as primary. (I've seen this in a few other franchises as well, where discussion forums are where storyline-focused fans tend to congregate.) But, for management, the story exists for one reason: to sell toys. (It's a bit cynical, but I don't think it's false.) Yes, leaving out Mata Nui would distinguish the storylines; but how would it sell more toys? On the other hand, reusing names is a plus in Lego's book; it is a move designed to draw upon good memories from ten years back. (I, myself, bought the Masters, but I don't plan on buying the Protectors or LoSS.)

You imply that Lego is concerned with how fans would interpret reusing names as connecting the storylines. They've already opened the can of worms by reusing the Toa, Makuta, Masks of Power, an Elemental Island, so it doesn't appear TLG has made it a goal to expressly divorce the new and old stories.

I'm of the opinion they did the reboot a disservice by using the names of the Toa Mata for the new heroes...

That's a very interesting view to have. If Lego had rebooted BIONICLE with an unfamiliar slate of heroes, would it have had as much of an explosive comeback? Remember the '09 soft reboot, when BIONICLE moved to new characters, doing new things, in a new place, but it was still called BIONICLE? It wasn't a great year for the franchise. Based on how quickly the new sets have been selling out, I think it shows that TLG made a good move going back to BIONICLE's roots. (Some great sets didn't hurt, either.) This line has succeeded by going back to 2001, not moving away from it.

So, aside from distancing the new and old storylines, why else would TLG want to kick Mata Nui to the curb? Is there a set-based reason to leave him out?

• Upvote 2

Mata Nui has been replaced not once, but twice: the revered patron is now Ekimu, and the Elemental island is now Okoto. At first glance, the character and the island have remained largely the same

Emphasis added -- this is not at all the case. Gen 1 Mata Nui was an unknown figure for most of it -- that he might have been a titan was an obvious possibility, yes, but we couldn't see that at a glance, could we? That he later became a normal sized humanoid doesn't change that he was intended to be a giant robot. And the size isn't the only issue; that size was part of his purpose -- to reform a planet. Ekimu seems very little like Mata Nui at a glance IMO, except that he fills the same role of inspiring Makuta's jealousy from his respect by the villagers.

Since those things turned out to be central to Bionicle -- the giant for its metaphor in how Bionicle was inspired, and later for its in-story central role of the Reforming -- and since the secret is out for those things and wouldn't make sense to recycle (and might I add, at least one poll shows that at least among current online members, people overwhelmingly want a new plot driver rather than the giant robot), the answer to this seems obvious:

so why the change in names?

Clearly this helps is differentiate between the two stories and assures us the Mata Nui character is not a giant robot. (It's not just the name, it's seeing him actually being a titan, and seeing his role too as a maskmaker.)

The simplest answer: there's no Mata Nui because there will be no Mata Nui. As Ekimu develops as a character, we may learn he's quite different from the Mata Nui we know and love, so the story team decided to divorce the two characters and abandon the old name entirely.

But I find this possibility to be inconsistent with Lego's approach in the new BIONICLE. We can point at Makuta, where they used the name and the broad strokes of the character, but he has different motivations (and, as some think, may be corrupted more than evil).

It isn't inconsistent at all. A reimagining keeps some things, changes others. Simple. And for the above reasons, keeping Mata Nui would make virtually no sense.

And Makuta's motivations are so far essentially the same; jealousy of Mata Nui and acting on it. It's his specific actions, in the context of maskmaking and elemental law that exist in G2 and not G1, that are different. :)

Mata Nui is the biggest in name recognition, being a major point of the story in every year of BIONICLE. Lego wouldn't abandon the name, so I think we'll definitely be seeing Mata Nui come back.

But you've given no reason to think LEGO wouldn't "abandon" the name. It makes much more sense to me that LEGO wants the name Mata Nui to indicate Gen 1, because he was the center of Gen 1's plot, and Ekimu to refer to Gen 2. It's good organization at the very least.

I don't have time to pick apart your specific suggestions. They're possible, but make Ekimu superfluous which seems like a bad idea. And all that just to get the name in? Yet you also said that in your view, Ekimu IS basically Mata Nui. And personality-wise, he does seem very close (though we haven't seen much of him). So why would we need another?

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Still, your ideas are pretty cool. I'd like to see Mata Nui as some great titan from the past returning to destroy the evil, but I guess that's what the written works forums are for.

What if Mata Nui was the seventh Toa? Or Ekimu? They would make good candidates or a good choice to be the Toa of Light or the Toa of Time?

What if Mata Nui was the seventh Toa? Or Ekimu? They would make good candidates or a good choice to be the Toa of Light or the Toa of Time?

What if we forgot about Gen1 when talking about Gen2?

• Upvote 5

[Emphasis added]

You're saying that TLG would remove Mata Nui to differentiate G2 and G1. Thing is, it looks like they're doing the opposite; trying to thematically connect the two generations. Just look at their latest Facebook post; they're trying to get their new fans to find things from the old story! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're making you look up the old story to follow the new. But they new story is supposed to "remind us of an ancient era in BIONICLE history," not ignore it.

The way I see G2 is closer to a reference to the original story. Lego took a few characters and a few themes from the old story and placed them in a new world with a new story. There is enough similarity to tie it into the old story for old fans, but plenty of new things to keep new builders who know nothing about Bionicle interested. So yes, "remind us of... BIONICLE history," but with a new situation. Mata Nui was the old, the Mask Makers is our new mystery. As much of a fan of Bionicle as I am, I'm perfectly okay with that.

I doubt lego would bring back Mata Nui (or at least it wouldn't be anything like the old one), if you look at Ekimu and Makuta's role in the story what they essentially boil down to is magic blacksmiths, I think they did this for a reason, I believe they did it because they didn't want to allude to gods like the old series did. So if my theory is correct then I doubt Mata Nui or a character like him will ever come into the new series. 

It's time to move on.

I doubt lego would bring back Mata Nui (or at least it wouldn't be anything like the old one), if you look at Ekimu and Makuta's role in the story what they essentially boil down to is magic blacksmiths, I think they did this for a reason, I believe they did it because they didn't want to allude to gods like the old series did. So if my theory is correct then I doubt Mata Nui or a character like him will ever come into the new series. 

I don't think they should rule out gods/religion for the sake of simplicity. It doesn't have to be Mata Nui to please me, but I'd be slightly disappointed if they completely abandoned religious concepts. Of course, TLG is simplifying culture a lot in Gen 2, so it wouldn't be very surprising, even if it is disappointing for me. The diversity in culture and ethics that Bionicle had is what drew me to the story to begin with.

Although I do feel that Gen 2 should stand out from Gen 1, (as it already has thus far, (to some degree,)) I would like to see Mata Nui return in some way eventually. (So long as TLG could do it in such a way that wouldn't make Ekimu totally pointless.)

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

I don't think they should rule out gods/religion for the sake of simplicity. It doesn't have to be Mata Nui to please me, but I'd be slightly disappointed if they completely abandoned religious concepts. Of course, TLG is simplifying culture a lot in Gen 2, so it wouldn't be very surprising, even if it is disappointing for me. The diversity in culture and ethics that Bionicle had is what drew me to the story to begin with.

Although I do feel that Gen 2 should stand out from Gen 1, (as it already has thus far, (to some degree,)) I would like to see Mata Nui return in some way eventually. (So long as TLG could do it in such a way that wouldn't make Ekimu totally pointless.)

I don't think they're getting rid of the concepts of gods for simplicity reasons I think they're doing for the sake of avoiding any controversy. 

It's time to move on.

I don't think they're getting rid of the concepts of gods for simplicity reasons I think they're doing for the sake of avoiding any controversy. 

I don't think religion is inherently controversial, (not that your statement offends me or anything, (and it certainly can be controversial in some scenarios,)) and as such I don't believe that's why TLG is cutting out Mata Nui at all. Religion is a common element all the target audience would be exposed to and could relate to, so a made-up religion in this scenario wouldn't really be so controversial to the degree where TLG would have to omit it entirely.

I'd like to see Mata Nui return in some form. Even just a mention in passing. He's iconic and I think he definitely belongs in the second generation along with the Toa Mata and Makuta.

-NotS

Although he is iconic, I think if they were to bring back Mata Nui in a significant way, then Gen 2 would be far too much like Gen 1. (I know I basically said that in my first post, but just summing up what I said in a more to-the-point answer.) Once again, I would like to see him return in some way eventually. Just not know. I think such a come back would be super epic, if they were gonna try to bring him back at all, if TLG brought him back toward the end of the story.

EDIT: And it also just occurred to me, masterchirox, that you could have simply meant the Maori controversy stuff. Either way though, that could also be a good reason.

EDIT AGAIN: And it ALSO just occurred to me that the Maori controversy stuff had nothing to do with religion, (as far as I know,) so you probably didn't mean that, but the Maori language controversy stuff is still a good reason for them to have omitted Mata Nui.

Edited by The Meta Knight
  • Upvote 1

There isn't enough information at this point to conclusively say whether or not Mata Nui is or is not going to reappear in Gen 2 in any way. There are no hints at a great deity yet, nor does the presence of Ekimu negate the possibility of Mata Nui existing. We'll have to wait and see. So much of Gen 1 has been left behind that "well, Makuta and the Golden Masks are back" isn't a strong argument for speculating that anything is gonna show up in Gen 2 for sure.

• Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I don't think religion is inherently controversial, (not that your statement offends me or anything, (and it certainly can be controversial in some scenarios,)) and as such I don't believe that's why TLG is cutting out Mata Nui at all. Religion is a common element all the target audience would be exposed to and could relate to, so a made-up religion in this scenario wouldn't really be so controversial to the degree where TLG would have to omit it entirely.

EDIT: And it also just occurred to me, masterchirox, that you could have simply meant the Maori controversy stuff. Either way though, that could also be a good reason.

EDIT AGAIN: And it ALSO just occurred to me that the Maori controversy stuff had nothing to do with religion, (as far as I know,) so you probably didn't mean that, but the Maori language controversy stuff is still a good reason for them to have omitted Mata Nui.

What I mean is that I have seen some religious people who did take offense to the first spinjitsu master from ninjago because he was it's creator hence can be considered a god, so I think lego are playing it safe so as not to cause any offense and to make sure no one is turned away from the products. 

It's time to move on.

What if we forgot about Gen1 when talking about Gen2?
Sorry I didn't mean to change the subject or offend you :???: I thought we were discussing about Mata Nui's return as a cameo for Generation 2. <_< Edited by bohrokmaster

Ekimu = Wu

Makuta = Garmadon

Mata Nui = First Spinjitzu Master?

I think that's what we're trying to avoid, from the sound of things.

*applauds* 

Bionicle isn't Ninjago.

Although I thought Ekimu was more like a Mata Nui/Vakama/Artahka hybrid, not like Wu. Wu isn't the kind of dude to be smashing someone's face with a hammer to stop his brother from destroying everything. He tends to work more through others, and really try to do the self-sacrifice ploy...but it never really works. So the analogy already seems flawed IMO. 

• Upvote 1

Ekimu = Wu

Makuta = Garmadon

*applauds* 

Bionicle isn't Ninjago.

Although I thought Ekimu was more like a Mata Nui/Vakama/Artahka hybrid, not like Wu. Wu isn't the kind of dude to be smashing someone's face with a hammer to stop his brother from destroying everything. He tends to work more through others, and really try to do the self-sacrifice ploy...but it never really works. So the analogy already seems flawed IMO. 

I was just making a comparison, since it would be similar to Ninjago in that way. Having the father who created everything and is now gone, with two sons, one going evil and betraying the other etc..

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Ekimu = Wu

Makuta = Garmadon

*applauds* 

Bionicle isn't Ninjago.

I was just making a comparison, since it would be similar to Ninjago in that way. Having the father who created everything and is now gone, with two sons, one going evil and betraying the other etc..

That's really the point. LEGO's done that scenario with one theme, so why do it again? Sure, it worked for Ninjago, and could work here, if done right. But I was talking more about the whole application of the Mata Nui character as a god-like being once again. It may be that they're trying to avoid repeating one or both situations.

However, the apparent inclusion of Spinjitzu (in Pohatu's case) and the mystical elemental golden artifacts is rather suspicious. :P

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Ekimu = Wu

Makuta = Garmadon

*applauds* 

Bionicle isn't Ninjago.

That's really the point. LEGO's done that scenario with one theme, so why do it again? Sure, it worked for Ninjago, and could work here, if done right. But I was talking more about the whole application of the Mata Nui character as a god-like being once again. It may be that they're trying to avoid repeating one or both situations.

However, the apparent inclusion of Spinjitzu (in Pohatu's case) and the mystical elemental golden artifacts is rather suspicious. :P

I don't think the analogy is as far fetch'd as some of you are making it out to be, although I do believe Ekimu is essentially Mata Nui's replacement. In the scenario this theory provides, it's not that far off at all.

The Golden Masks were in Gen 1, which was WAY before Ninjago, and searching for some kind of golden object of power is a common concept to begin with. And I don't really think the fact that Pohatu can sand bend this time around is drawn from Ninjago either. In fact, that's not too much of a change from Pohatu's original power in Gen 1. Ninjago probably draws more inspiration from Gen 1 Bionicle than Gen 2 Bionicle draws from Ninjago, if any at all. 

I don't think Meta Nui was as iconic as you guys are making out. The most known names were Makuta and the Toa's

I gotta disagree with you on that one. I had Mata Nui's name in my cranium long before I could memorize the names of the Toa. And he was the main focus of the story every year in Gen 1, even in years when the Toa Nuva became more obscure. 

I also note the way you misspelled Mata Nui's name Meta Nui. That's especially funny for me.   :h: :a: :h: :a:

Edited by The Meta Knight
  • Upvote 1

Ninjago has four five guys with elemental powers, as opposed to five guys and a gal with elemental powers...I count .74 similarity quotient here. Throw in the "two brothers fighting" thing, which was 100% symbolic in original Bionicle as opposed to 100% real in Ninjago...

Of coarse, there's a lot that's waaaay different. Gen 2, on the other hand, has a bit more of a similarity thing going on since the villagers are people and the brothers fighting are real as opposed to symbolic like Gen 1. Plus also OP weapons/weapon. Of course, in Gen 1 the "brothers" were fighting over an OP weapon called a giant robot, but since that was a mystery for most of the stories' run, it didn't affect the story in quite the way it affected Ninjago, and presumably Gen2. 

Ninjago has four five guys with elemental powers, as opposed to five guys and a gal with elemental powers...I count .74 similarity quotient here. Throw in the "two brothers fighting" thing, which was 100% symbolic in original Bionicle as opposed to 100% real in Ninjago...

Of coarse, there's a lot that's waaaay different. Gen 2, on the other hand, has a bit more of a similarity thing going on since the villagers are people and the brothers fighting are real as opposed to symbolic like Gen 1. Plus also OP weapons/weapon. Of course, in Gen 1 the "brothers" were fighting over an OP weapon called a giant robot, but since that was a mystery for most of the stories' run, it didn't affect the story in quite the way it affected Ninjago, and presumably Gen2. 

Well technically there are loads of elemental people in Ninjago.

There are the masters of Gravity, Nature, Sonics, Metal, Speed, Psionics/Mind, Smoke and Shadow. Many of which are also seen in Bionicle G1 and were also revealed after the main elements in both stories.

Just sayin c:

Edited by Toa Chronix

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Well technicaclly there are loads of elemental people in Ninjago.

There are the masters of Gravity, Nature, Sonics, Metal, Speed, Psionics/Mind, Smoke and Shadow. Many of which are also seen in Bionicle G1 and were also revealed after the main elements in both stories.

Just sayin c:

Yeah, but they don't have golden weapons or elemental dragons to match their powers. :P So, I don't think they really count.

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Ekimu = Wu

Makuta = Garmadon

*applauds*

Bionicle isn't Ninjago.

I don't think the analogy is as far fetch'd as some of you are making it out to be, although I do believe Ekimu is essentially Mata Nui's replacement. In the scenario this theory provides, it's not that far off at all.

The Golden Masks were in Gen 1, which was WAY before Ninjago, and searching for some kind of golden object of power is a common concept to begin with. And I don't really think the fact that Pohatu can sand bend this time around is drawn from Ninjago either. In fact, that's not too much of a change from Pohatu's original power in Gen 1. Ninjago probably draws more inspiration from Gen 1 Bionicle than Gen 2 Bionicle draws from Ninjago, if any at all.

I don't think Meta Nui was as iconic as you guys are making out. The most known names were Makuta and the Toa's

I gotta disagree with you on that one. I had Mata Nui's name in my cranium long before I could memorize the names of the Toa. And he was the main focus of the story every year in Gen 1, even in years when the Toa Nuva became more obscure.

I also note the way you misspelled Mata Nui's name Meta Nui. That's especially funny for me. :h: :a: :h: :a:

Well for starters, the Meta thing was autocorrect. Secondly, the stories weren't really about Mata Nui himself as he was never really in the story. He was the goal of the quest, but the story focused on the villains and the heroes. More people are going to remember the heroes and villains over some godlike figure who was just alluded to and never actually seen
  • Upvote 1

I don't think Ekimu is supposed to replace Mata Nui. The only things that they have in common is the Makuta's brother thing and that they are asleep at the beginning of the story. Mata Nui has much more power to him than Ekimu has. I think that there is still room in Gen 2 to have some sort of Mata Nui in it even with Ekimu there.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I don't think Ekimu is supposed to replace Mata Nui. The only things that they have in common is the Makuta's brother thing and that they are asleep at the beginning of the story. Mata Nui has much more power to him than Ekimu has. I think that there is still room in Gen 2 to have some sort of Mata Nui in it even with Ekimu there.

Those were the main things we knew about Mata Nui originally, though. That he had so much more power (due to being the giant) wasn't learned until eight years later. We accepted him as possibly a titan like Ekimu for all that time. I think this fits best with the idea that LEGO has decided to make a version of Bionicle based on the popular (but at the time incorrect) theory fans had since 2001 about Mata Nui (and other things like the island just being the home of villagers, etc.).

Bringing in a character named Mata Nui just to have somebody be as powerful as a character from G1 seems arbitrary, and also would seem to send mixed messages since avoiding being overpowered was the whole point of the law against multiple elements in masks, remember?

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Those were the main things we knew about Mata Nui originally, though. That he had so much more power (due to being the giant) wasn't learned until eight years later. We accepted him as possibly a titan like Ekimu for all that time. I think this fits best with the idea that LEGO has decided to make a version of Bionicle based on the popular (but at the time incorrect) theory fans had since 2001 about Mata Nui (and other things like the island just being the home of villagers, etc.).

Bringing in a character named Mata Nui just to have somebody be as powerful as a character from G1 seems arbitrary, and also would seem to send mixed messages since avoiding being overpowered was the whole point of the law against multiple elements in masks, remember?

Maybe Mata Nui could just be an island for the reboot (maybe with the same island shape from 2001 without any connectivity to the old Bionicle)? And have the giant robot :wink: :wink: Mata Nui without having the other "world" (the matoran universe) inside the robot ;) Edited by bohrokmaster

Actually, the whole Mata Nui is a mask-maker point brings up a question - Vakama was a pretty big part of G1, and also a mask maker. I wonder what the chances of Vakama being a Mask Maker in the future story would be.

-NotS

And the Turaga have been replaced with Protectors... and Ekimu, the Mask Maker, looks like a protector... Illuminati confirmed

idk man

Vakama: Master of Time confirmed.

In all seriousness, Takuna's points really show how big of a role and how important Mata Nui was in the original storyline, clearly. However, I have a feeling we won't be seeing him, at least as a character in the new story. I would be surprised if there is some form of a callback or easter-egg to him though.