The Wild Bull - Kane-Ra Revamp

joev14

"The creature was like something out of a nightmare. Its red eyes gleamed with hate, and it pawed at the snowy ground with hooflike feet, puffs of steam blowing from its nostrils. Twin horns twisted out of the sides of its enormous head."

— Kopaka, Tale of the Toa

I'm back again with my second-to-last 2001 Revamp MOC. Just take a look at those teeth! Please upvote and comment!

img_0768edit.jpg

Front

img_0770edit.jpg

Back

img_0783edit.jpg

Top Angle

img_0780edit.jpg

img_0782edit.jpg

Bottom

img_0771edit.jpg

New and Old Comparison

img_0778edit.jpg

Kane-Ra vs. Kopaka!

img_0779edit.jpg

The Battle Continues!

img_0777edit.jpg

The Wild Bull vs. The Master of Ice!

Last up, though it was actually the first model I began work on, the Manas Revamp is on it's way. Stick around for it, you won't wanna miss The Monster.

• Upvote 9

You did an awesome job of capturing the original set's bizarre body shape. The eyes really look crazy.

Unfortunately there's so much black it's hard to look at the details. I think some grey to break up the black might help. Maybe some white tooth pieces instead of black. Also, the Y-joint hooves look a bit odd; I think the Roborider heads used for the original Kane-Ra's hooves would look great.

You say it's second to last, what about Muaka? Otherwise job, the black seems really abundant, and the teeth don't fit, a bull is not a predator. Maybe if you replace those with these it would help give it a more herbivore like look.Besides that really good job :)

Bulls aren't predators, but the Kane-Ra most certainly is. I've chosen to stick with black mainly because all my other MOCs in the series have black plus a secondary color, with no gray. I tried white teeth and it didn't look quite right.

EDIT: As I've stated, I won't be doing a Muaka MOC. Mainly because of it's similarity to the Kane-Ra. I chose to only do one or the other, and ended up going with the Kane-Ra because I've seen so many Muaka MOCs already. It also fits with my series colorscheme (As you can see from my signature, just imagine there being a yellow and black Manas crab).

You did an awesome job of capturing the original set's bizarre body shape. The eyes really look crazy.

Unfortunately there's so much black it's hard to look at the details. I think some grey to break up the black might help. Maybe some white tooth pieces instead of black. Also, the Y-joint hooves look a bit odd; I think the Roborider heads used for the original Kane-Ra's hooves would look great.

I'll try some different things for the hooves. I did feel like they were a bit simplistic, but everyone I showed the MOC to before I posted said they looked fine. Guess not :P

Edited by joev14

Nice build and very impressed how well you've matched the size and scale with the original. I don't like the colour balance much though, the back seems to be all red and then almost everywhere else is a sea of black. Perhaps this is why they used grey in the original sets, to help break up the black and help define it's shape? As it sits now it's VERY difficult to see and therefore enjoy. I know we've discussed this in your (and other MoCcers) recent Rahi builds and I feel I was right to think that the Muaka and Kane Ra wouldn't work without their treads. Those back 'legs' look like they've been amputated at the knee and the side profile of the body (though it's hard to see) seems a little thin compared to the front of the build. I know that was an original feature but the one I have is more triangular while I can't make that out in your pics, possibly due to angle.

I like the shoulders and that you retained the masks as a nice nod to the original. Not so keen on the upper arms but at least they look strong as they should! The forearms though? Boy I don't think they'd hold my puny weight let alone a bull Rahi! Better than the back legs but will be interesting to see different 'hooves'! I like the bottom jaw, the top looks weird to me though, and seems a little too low down as well. Would be nice to see it one row higher up.

Look forward to your manas, this is quite the adventure you're taking us on with these redesigns! The Nui Rama is still far and away my favourite, let's see if it stays that way when you're finished :D

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I actually like how it's all black - no more dark bley. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I actually like how it's all black - no more dark bley.

It wasn't even dark bley back then, just dark grey :P

Quite nice indeed =D only thing I could say is that perhaps some minor tweaking could be done on the limbs, but not that much.

What kinds of tweaking?

I must say, this is your only revamp that I don't like much :confused:

I personally prefer the old bulky head over your new design. And I don't like the all black coloration.

Otherwise the rest of the body is superb, but the head is what ruins it for me.

How so?

Nice build and very impressed how well you've matched the size and scale with the original. I don't like the colour balance much though, the back seems to be all red and then almost everywhere else is a sea of black. Perhaps this is why they used grey in the original sets, to help break up the black and help define it's shape? As it sits now it's VERY difficult to see and therefore enjoy. I know we've discussed this in your (and other MoCcers) recent Rahi builds and I feel I was right to think that the Muaka and Kane Ra wouldn't work without their treads. Those back 'legs' look like they've been amputated at the knee and the side profile of the body (though it's hard to see) seems a little thin compared to the front of the build. I know that was an original feature but the one I have is more triangular while I can't make that out in your pics, possibly due to angle.

I like the shoulders and that you retained the masks as a nice nod to the original. Not so keen on the upper arms but at least they look strong as they should! The forearms though? Boy I don't think they'd hold my puny weight let alone a bull Rahi! Better than the back legs but will be interesting to see different 'hooves'! I like the bottom jaw, the top looks weird to me though, and seems a little too low down as well. Would be nice to see it one row higher up.

Look forward to your manas, this is quite the adventure you're taking us on with these redesigns! The Nui Rama is still far and away my favourite, let's see if it stays that way when you're finished :D

I think perhaps the colorscheme appears off because of the lighting. It honestly has around the same amount as all the others. I'm gonna try doing some photo reshoots today, so maybe that'll clear things up?

Edit: Double post merged.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-