3D-Printable Kanohi (Olisi, Elemental Energy, more)

jimmybob83

Hey dude FYI the mask you call The Mask of Mechanics is actually the Mask of Fusion.

Don't believe me?

Here

LINK: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:Matoran_Mask_of_Fusion.png

As a side note there is a mask called the Mask of Biomechanics. So you may have gotten these two mixed up

LINK: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:Matoran_Mask_of_Biomechanics.png

Hey dude, I'm certain you read the last part of my original post, yes?

Nope. could you link me to that by chance?

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Hey dude FYI the mask you call The Mask of Mechanics is actually the Mask of Fusion.

Don't believe me?

Here

LINK: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:Matoran_Mask_of_Fusion.png

As a side note there is a mask called the Mask of Biomechanics. So you may have gotten these two mixed up

LINK: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:Matoran_Mask_of_Biomechanics.png

Hey dude, I'm certain you read the last part of my original post, yes?

Nope. could you link me to that by chance?

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16930-3d-printable-kanohi-olisi-elemental-energy-more/

bBhcfWO.png

These are utterly beautiful!! Thank you for putting these up for sale. I have been trying for months now to contact Vaal from Vaal's Forge and Foundry about purchasing a Kanohi Olisi.

I love your renditions of the Blocko 'Toa' masks. Is there anyway that you could make renditions of the Kanohi Krodan and Kanohi Pamatae for those of us who can't purchase the elusive Blocko knock-offs? I'd be greatly in debt to you.

For the first time in four years ... the Bionicle story comes to a close

with the Bionicle Disunity trilogy

Were you as shocked as I was upon learning the Bionicle serials "The Yesterday Quest" and "The Powers That Be" would never be finished?

Did you know that Lego won't allow Greg Farshtey to complete the story because they want to focus on marketing G2?

My close friend The Mad Great Being has been working tirelessly on completing the Bionicle story ... and now it is finally finished. His writing style stays

true to the integrity of the characters that we know and love.  His plot ideas are something only comparable to Greg Farshtey's.

Trust me, I'm hard to please with fan-fiction.  If you liked reading Bionicle Chronicles/Adventures/Legends ... then you won't

want to miss the next best thing since learning Mata Nui was a 40-million-foot-tall robot.

BZP User The Mad Great Being presents ... Bionicle: Malevolence

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19970-the-great-being-civil-war/

Sponsored by Wamsutta

I actually do have one question, would you be open to selling the actual models ( of course for a higher price obviously ) instead of prints of it ? The reason behind me asking is that there's a 3D printing centre close by, so it would save me quite some money to print it over there instead of using Shapeways and paying extra costs for shipping. :)

-Iben

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

Oh. My. God. They look amazing! Especially Karzanhi's mask, I love it and its really an accurate reproduction of the one in the comic. Wish I could make something like this too ^^

How long does it take to desing/print a mask?

It usually takes around ten days for Shapeways to make the mask and a few more to have them ship it too you.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

these are really great, i'll definately grab the elemental energy one, and if that mask of fusion wrapped around the head a little more i'd get that too. for sure i'll be getting the mask of sensory aptitude. i was the person that comissioned the other mask of sensory aptitude on shapeways, but i designed it to be the great mask of sensory aptitude, wheras i believe the one illustrated and therefore the one you made, to be the noble version, as the design is simpler and it is a smaller mask, just like the 2001 turaga.

tumblr_negcprE6MH1sxjngho1_500.png

These are utterly beautiful!! Thank you for putting these up for sale. I have been trying for months now to contact Vaal from Vaal's Forge and Foundry about purchasing a Kanohi Olisi.

I love your renditions of the Blocko 'Toa' masks. Is there anyway that you could make renditions of the Kanohi Krodan and Kanohi Pamatae for those of us who can't purchase the elusive Blocko knock-offs? I'd be greatly in debt to you.

It's possible, maybe even probable, but honestly, the Krodan scares me...

I actually do have one question, would you be open to selling the actual models ( of course for a higher price obviously ) instead of prints of it ? The reason behind me asking is that there's a 3D printing centre close by, so it would save me quite some money to print it over there instead of using Shapeways and paying extra costs for shipping.  :)

-Iben

I don't think so, sorry, I do like having some ownership.

By the way, have you received the updated mask of elemental energy yet? 

No, like someone mentioned above, it takes up to two weeks for Shapeways to work through their backlog and ship something out. I'll update when I do.

Oh. My. God. They look amazing! Especially Karzanhi's mask, I love it and its really an accurate reproduction of the one in the comic. Wish I could make something like this too ^^

How long does it take to desing/print a mask?

For designing, it all depends on complexity; a couple days at least, possibly quite a bit more.

these are really great, i'll definately grab the elemental energy one, and if that mask of fusion wrapped around the head a little more i'd get that too. for sure i'll be getting the mask of sensory aptitude. i was the person that comissioned the other mask of sensory aptitude on shapeways, but i designed it to be the great mask of sensory aptitude, wheras i believe the one illustrated and therefore the one you made, to be the noble version, as the design is simpler and it is a smaller mask, just like the 2001 turaga.

Your personal cannon is your business, of course, but I don't believe Great and Noble versions typically bear any similarity to each other. The only exception is the Hau, but that was either do to ignorance of the LoMN animators, or just their desire to keep things simple for the audience. (And of course there are the Makuta/Matoran Phantoa mask pairs, but that was a fan-to-Greg-approved-cannon thing, and a particularly illogical and stupid one, IMHO.) As we see from the Toa Metru's/Turaga's masks, the Great and Noble versions can be entirely unrelated. I also wouldn't say noble masks are smaller or simpler, the Noble Matatu and Hau in particular are pretty huge. 

Is there any sort of template you build these masks off? They all look fantastic and I'd like to have a crack at making myself a custom mask, but I don't think I could get the pegs right.

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

I do once again want to thank you jimmybob83 for your service to the community. Like you, I have been trying to create a full set of the Toa Hagah, and I can finally do so with your innovative and stylized masks. For years, I have been contemplating how I could accomplish making my own masks. I've cut pieces, painted them, and even bent some. Your masks, in my humble opinion, deserve the official seal of approval from Lego. I can now create my Karzahni, Toa Tuyet, Toa Bomonga, Toa Kualus, Toa Pouks, and Toa Gaaki with ease and peace of mind. I'll be modeling my MOCs after your Toa Hagah out of respect and good faith.

Were you as shocked as I was upon learning the Bionicle serials "The Yesterday Quest" and "The Powers That Be" would never be finished?

Did you know that Lego won't allow Greg Farshtey to complete the story because they want to focus on marketing G2?

My close friend The Mad Great Being has been working tirelessly on completing the Bionicle story ... and now it is finally finished. His writing style stays

true to the integrity of the characters that we know and love.  His plot ideas are something only comparable to Greg Farshtey's.

Trust me, I'm hard to please with fan-fiction.  If you liked reading Bionicle Chronicles/Adventures/Legends ... then you won't

want to miss the next best thing since learning Mata Nui was a 40-million-foot-tall robot.

Sponsored by Wamsutta

These masks look interesting. It's an interesting idea, creating masks that were never released. However they lack in quality quite a bit, and while you said you are new to 3D modeling, selling these with 3$  markup is honestly crazy. There are people on shapeways who sell kanohi that are much higher quality for Shapeways default price. Ofcourse it is everyones choice whether or not they buy these, but it gives of a very unprofessional look.

However they lack in quality quite a bit, and while you said you are new to 3D modeling, selling these with 3$ markup is honestly crazy. There are people on shapeways who sell kanohi that are much higher quality for Shapeways default price. Of course it is everyones choice whether or not they buy these, but it gives of a very unprofessional look.

I would honestly love to see these people that are selling masks for cheaper on shapeways that you're talking about, because I can't seem ot find them. I'm going to have to disagree with you on your opinion that they lack in quality or look unprofessional as well, because I think these are pretty fantastic. I can't wait to see more work like this!

Edited by MrCod
  • Upvote 1

However they lack in quality quite a bit, and while you said you are new to 3D modeling, selling these with 3$ markup is honestly crazy. There are people on shapeways who sell kanohi that are much higher quality for Shapeways default price. Of course it is everyones choice whether or not they buy these, but it gives of a very unprofessional look.

I would honestly love to see these people that are selling masks for cheaper on shapeways that you're talking about, because I can't seem ot find them. I'm going to have to disagree with you on your opinion that they lack in quality or look unprofessional as well, because I think these are pretty fantastic. I can't wait to see more work like this!

You can simply search "Bionicle" on Shapeways and you get bunch of results. While some of the masks might not be cheaper than this, they're deffinitly not adding their own markup to them, and even if they would, it would make more sense because they're a lot better quality. While you might disagree about the quality all you want, they just aren't good.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Is there any sort of template you build these masks off? They all look fantastic and I'd like to have a crack at making myself a custom mask, but I don't think I could get the pegs right.

No one particular template, but I find it easiest by far to start off with some sort of geometric shape, usually a sphere or "capsule" and then modify from there. As for the connector, I found some measurements online for that. If I remember correctly, (I'm not home atm,) for the wide bit I use 4.85mm and the narrow bit 1.25mm. Like I said before, some come out quite snug, while others of the exact same starting size come out loose, I assume due to polishing. 

You can simply search "Bionicle" on Shapeways and you get bunch of results. While some of the masks might not be cheaper than this, they're deffinitly not adding their own markup to them, and even if they would, it would make more sense because they're a lot better quality. While you might disagree about the quality all you want, they just aren't good.

I don't mind so much that you don't think the masks are the best, but stop lying about pricing. Without naming names, the only other Kanohi I found on Shapeways by searching for "Kanohi" and "Binoicle" are roughly: $11.50, $16, $17, $25, and $27. The average price of my masks is $10.34. (If you take the deluxe-sized Olisi out of that, the average is just $9.39.) As you can tell, if you can count, is that $10.34 is less than $11.50. So... A) They are not overly expensive and B) I guarantee that most of those masks have a higher markup than I do - which is their prerogative. But don't sit there and tell me the $27 mask isn't marked up higher than mine... 

But while we're on the subject, for my personal growth, I'd like a point-by-point breakdown of what specifically is "a lot better quality" on which specific masks, etc.

Thanks for the kind comments.

No one particular template, but I find it easiest by far to start off with some sort of geometric shape, usually a sphere or "capsule" and then modify from there. As for the connector, I found some measurements online for that. If I remember correctly, (I'm not home atm,) for the wide bit I use 4.85mm and the narrow bit 1.25mm. Like I said before, some come out quite snug, while others of the exact same starting size come out loose, I assume due to polishing. 

I don't mind so much that you don't think the masks are the best, but stop lying about pricing. Without naming names, the only other Kanohi I found on Shapeways by searching for "Kanohi" and "Binoicle" are roughly: $11.50, $16, $17, $25, and $27. The average price of my masks is $10.34. (If you take the deluxe-sized Olisi out of that, the average is just $9.39.) As you can tell, if you can count, is that $10.34 is less than $11.50. So... A) They are not overly expensive and B) I guarantee that most of those masks have a higher markup than I do - which is their prerogative. But don't sit there and tell me the $27 mask isn't marked up higher than mine... 

But while we're on the subject, for my personal growth, I'd like a point-by-point breakdown of what specifically is "a lot better quality" on which specific masks, etc.

Maybe you should calm down for a bit and not blow up everytime people critisize your work. Your attitude is really immature. I will not name any of the mask makers, you can find the usernames on your own. As far as the prices go, I know some of the people who created the kanohi available on shapeways and I know for a fact that they dont put any markup on those. Shapeways pricing system simply makes them more expensive based on volume, complexity, and how hard it is to produce the part.

If you want to know how they're better quality, look at the shape, topology, and polycount. On your kanohi, such as your Voya Nui Mask of Life, the shape is just generaly off. As far as topology and polycount goes, weird bends and hard edges are visible on your Mask of Healing and Mask of Regeneration the most.

Once again, you said you're a new modeller, so please don't rain anger on people who tell you to improve.

I do once again want to thank you jimmybob83 for your service to the community. Like you, I have been trying to create a full set of the Toa Hagah, and I can finally do so with your innovative and stylized masks. For years, I have been contemplating how I could accomplish making my own masks. I've cut pieces, painted them, and even bent some. Your masks, in my humble opinion, deserve the official seal of approval from Lego. I can now create my Karzahni, Toa Tuyet, Toa Bomonga, Toa Kualus, Toa Pouks, and Toa Gaaki with ease and peace of mind. I'll be modeling my MOCs after your Toa Hagah out of respect and good faith.

Toa Tuyet wears the Mask of Intagibility though, and that isn't listed. Unless I'm mistaken...

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

Ahhh, haha, sorry Shadow Destroyer I forgot to mention that I would be using the Kanohi Pehkui he just uploaded two days ago to shapeways.com as the Mask of Intangibility.

Sponsored by Wamsutta

Maybe you should calm down for a bit and not blow up everytime people critisize your work. Your attitude is really immature. I will not name any of the mask makers, you can find the usernames on your own. As far as the prices go, I know some of the people who created the kanohi available on shapeways and I know for a fact that they dont put any markup on those. Shapeways pricing system simply makes them more expensive based on volume, complexity, and how hard it is to produce the part.

If you want to know how they're better quality, look at the shape, topology, and polycount. On your kanohi, such as your Voya Nui Mask of Life, the shape is just generaly off. As far as topology and polycount goes, weird bends and hard edges are visible on your Mask of Healing and Mask of Regeneration the most.

Once again, you said you're a new modeller, so please don't rain anger on people who tell you to improve.

Exactly, shapeways bases their price on volume total, volume of plastic, etc. So since my huuuge titan-sized Olisi cost $15 before markup... how do smaller masks cost $17-$27 before markup...?

Your feedback isn't nearly detailed enough to be constructive. The MoL's shape is "off"... how? In what way? Where? To what degree? The Mask of Healing has "weird bends"... where? What makes you think they're weird? How would you have it differently? How do you feel about the Masks of Sensory Aptitude, or Weight Increase? How do you define a bad "hard edge"? How do you feel about the hard edges of the Kakama?

About polycounts, as has been discussed before, your printed product is limited in detail by accuracy of the printer and polishing. The one several people have pointed to is the Olisi, saying they see the squares on the surface in the 3D preview. But at least to me, those are completely invisible in the actual finished product that I put up pictures of. I can't see any of those things on the one in my hands. So I stand by the fact that the models are just as detailed as they need to be. To me, working with smaller, more numerous polys is much more difficult, so I don't start out with a high-def object for simplicity's sake. 

Maybe you should calm down for a bit and not blow up everytime people critisize your work. Your attitude is really immature.

These masks look interesting. It's an interesting idea, creating masks that were never released. However they lack in quality quite a bit, and while you said you are new to 3D modeling, selling these with 3$ markup is honestly crazy. There are people on shapeways who sell kanohi that are much higher quality for Shapeways default price. Of course it is everyone's choice whether or not they buy these, but it gives of a very unprofessional look.

Just bringing this back up as to what you claim is constructive criticism. You said that they lack in quality; alright, fine, that's your own opinion. But then you proceed to claim a three dollar markup that brings the total price to still the cheapest masks in the shapeways shop is crazy, as if it's crazy to want to make any sort of money from one's personal work, then you call them unprofessional for wanting to charge money in exchange for making these designs, as if charging for services provided is somehow not what professionals do. I am genuinely confused as to what irks you so much about a markup if the masks are still the cheapest around.

Now, I know next to nothing about 3D modelling, I'll be the first to admit, but I do know a thing or two about useful critiques. They're specific, singling in on details and exactly what looks wrong, steering away from generalizations and ignoring the creator entirely to avoid bias. Use the level of experience in 3D modelling your posts imply to help improve the masks themselves, instead of making personal remarks about pricing and immaturity. There's no need to be rude about a critique.

I also got my mask of sensory aptitude in the mail today.  Unfortunately the axle connector didn't fit too well on a metru head, and using a mata head would reduce the poseability of the MOC I was planning on using it with.  It fits on a mata head just fine, though, and I'm using it on a matoran MOC.  Fitting, seeing as it fits matoran more than toa, I'd say.

Anyways, I was well aware the axle issue may be present, so I'm not surprised.  It's not your fault, though, and I still think you've done a fantastic job on all of these masks!  A lot of the new ones look enticing as well!  Keep it up!

BZPRPG Profiles

Nekka  Banar  Moku  Savok

I also got my mask of sensory aptitude in the mail today.  Unfortunately the axle connector didn't fit too well on a metru head, and using a mata head would reduce the poseability of the MOC I was planning on using it with.  It fits on a mata head just fine, though, and I'm using it on a matoran MOC.  Fitting, seeing as it fits matoran more than toa, I'd say.

Anyways, I was well aware the axle issue may be present, so I'm not surprised.  It's not your fault, though, and I still think you've done a fantastic job on all of these masks!  A lot of the new ones look enticing as well!  Keep it up!

It fits perfectly on the Av-Matoran head, if that might solve your problem. 

bZpOwEr

It fits perfectly on the Av-Matoran head, if that might solve your problem. 

That is true; I tried that.  Even then, it turned out that it looked a bit small for the MOC I was planning to use it on.  Besides, it's given me a new idea for a new character. :o  So it's still a win for me.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nekka  Banar  Moku  Savok

I'm glad that the masks are working out, and thanks for sharing the MOC picture! I'll keep working until I run out of options, or hit a brick wall as far as skill is concerned. Case in point: for anyone who was hoping for a Mask of Possibilities... well... I tried, but... it really looks horrid. So that one won't be happening, most likely. That really only leaves the Mask of Clairvoyance (which I'm working on but I'm having trouble with the forehead ridge) and possibly one other mask, then I'm pretty sure I'll be "done." 

Hello again, jimmybob83!!

Once again, you have astounded me with your mask-making talent! You deserve the name Vakama, haha.

Anyways, I wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to bring a 3D printable version of the Kanohi Krodan to life! That you're currently working on inventing the Kanohi Pamatae is just as exciting to me!!  While we are on the subject of Blocko masks, I wanted to let you know that I found a fifth one!!  I'd be very overjoyed if this was within your realm of expertise!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1493686

Also, I'm just making you aware that once you are done molding masks for certain, I will be purchasing one of each mask from your shapeways.com store.  (For shipping purposes buying them in bulk is easiest for me.)  I can't wait to get started on making the four remaining Toa Hagah as a tribute to your hard work.

Sponsored by Wamsutta

I've always wanted to make a Steampunk Toa with that set.

The new masks are looking great! Your modelling skills have improved immensely, and I'm impressed with the accuracy. I might have to order some of these... or try my own.

This is beautiful. I can't wait until 3D printers are more accessible, and then everyone will want them.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I just noticed the Kanohi Pamatae; it looks great!! The detail in this one captures a Toa of Water's personality. The curves on the lower part of the mask look very well done, and the dorsal fin defines Gaaki. Curious question though, are you going to end up rounding off the sides of the Mask of Healing to make it more akin to the Blocko set? You seem to be a sculptor who tries to capture the accuracy in each mask, which I highly respect.

Sponsored by Wamsutta

The new masks look great, to be sure. But some of your older ones, like the Mask of Mechanics, are in sore need of improvement. That particular mask looks like a thick cardboard cutout that got slapped on someone's face, rather than fitting to the general shape of the head. You model for the Mask of Growth seems to suffer the same fate. What I suggest you do, before you make any more new ones, is go back and improve the old models. The Mask of Mechanics, for example, could be shaped more like the Avsa (Vamprah's mask, or more round and shortened like the version worn by Gavla). This would fix the flatness of it, and make it far more appealing.

The point Thau Nuva was trying to make is that you've got some of the details down, but you lack in others. Now, it's hard to pick exactly what's wrong, because we can't all see the model in its entirety for ourselves. One thing I've learned to do (with any sort of creative work) is go back through what you've done, and pick out all the stuff you think might be bad about it. if it matches up with the criticisms of others, then maybe its in need of a change.

Don't get me wrong, you've got some impressive pieces here, but the only one who can really determine their quality is you. If your buyers are not satisfied, then it's probably time to change.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I honestly wouldn't be so hard on him. The Mask of Growth looks fine. Where specifically are you referring to that it "suffers the same fate"? The Mask of Fusion (Mechanics, in this instance) is a difficult mask to mold. I think it does look 2D, but that's the kind of shape the artist was going for in the comic itself. One can't easily mold the 2D shape into something extravagant. The Mask of Healing could be rounded more around the sides, however, but overall the masks you mentioned look fine.

Sponsored by Wamsutta

I honestly wouldn't be so hard on him. The Mask of Growth looks fine. Where specifically are you referring to that it "suffers the same fate"? The Mask of Fusion (Mechanics, in this instance) is a difficult mask to mold. I think it does look 2D, but that's the kind of shape the artist was going for in the comic itself. One can't easily mold the 2D shape into something extravagant. 

Kinda flat and revealing (on the bottom, at least).

As for the Mask of Fusion/Mechanics, how do you know the artist was going for a 2D look? That was from a comic done in 2008, the same year as Vamprah and Gavla's release. The mask in the comics looks very similar to both of those, minus the fangs, so I just took it as a normal version of the Avsa. As such, it could easily be modeled in the same swept-back form as that mask.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I can see the Mask of Growth being a tad open at the bottom. I think however, jimmybob83 interpreted the Mask of Fusion as being a 2D image. I believe that he also said how he couldn't curve it back any further. I may be misinterpreting however.

Sponsored by Wamsutta

I can see the Mask of Growth being a tad open at the bottom. I think however, jimmybob83 interpreted the Mask of Fusion as being a 2D image. I believe that he also said how he couldn't curve it back any further. I may be misinterpreting however.

It can still be brought back more. Just look at any '01-'04 Kanohi. Sure, some of the Noble Masks were a bit flat, but there are a lot that weren't. (Hau, Miru, Akaku, Great Huna, for example.)

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~