3D-Printable Kanohi (Olisi, Elemental Energy, more)

jimmybob83

The Mask of Elemental Energy is out of Beta, and images of it and the Mask of Life, and the updated Blocko mask are up, along with a rendering of an improved version of the second Blocko mask. 

Hello again, jimmybob83!!

Once again, you have astounded me with your mask-making talent! You deserve the name Vakama, haha.

Anyways, I wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to bring a 3D printable version of the Kanohi Krodan to life! That you're currently working on inventing the Kanohi Pamatae is just as exciting to me!!  While we are on the subject of Blocko masks, I wanted to let you know that I found a fifth one!!  I'd be very overjoyed if this was within your realm of expertise!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1493686

Also, I'm just making you aware that once you are done molding masks for certain, I will be purchasing one of each mask from your shapeways.com store.  (For shipping purposes buying them in bulk is easiest for me.)  I can't wait to get started on making the four remaining Toa Hagah as a tribute to your hard work.

Thanks! I'd seen that Blocko set before, actually, but to me it just looked like a bad imitation of an Akaku... Not sure if I'll get to that one. :P I might be tweaking some of the ones already uploaded but I think that for now, I'll be stopping. There are definitely some more things I'd like to make but I think I need to practice and improve to do the things in my head any justice. 

I just noticed the Kanohi Pamatae; it looks great!! The detail in this one captures a Toa of Water's personality. The curves on the lower part of the mask look very well done, and the dorsal fin defines Gaaki. Curious question though, are you going to end up rounding off the sides of the Mask of Healing to make it more akin to the Blocko set? You seem to be a sculptor who tries to capture the accuracy in each mask, which I highly respect. 

Check the front post.

Fingers crossed for an updated Mask of Life

Updated in what way?

The new masks look great, to be sure. But some of your older ones, like the Mask of Mechanics, are in sore need of improvement. That particular mask looks like a thick cardboard cutout that got slapped on someone's face, rather than fitting to the general shape of the head. You model for the Mask of Growth seems to suffer the same fate. What I suggest you do, before you make any more new ones, is go back and improve the old models. The Mask of Mechanics, for example, could be shaped more like the Avsa (Vamprah's mask, or more round and shortened like the version worn by Gavla). This would fix the flatness of it, and make it far more appealing.

The point Thau Nuva was trying to make is that you've got some of the details down, but you lack in others. Now, it's hard to pick exactly what's wrong, because we can't all see the model in its entirety for ourselves. One thing I've learned to do (with any sort of creative work) is go back through what you've done, and pick out all the stuff you think might be bad about it. if it matches up with the criticisms of others, then maybe its in need of a change.

Don't get me wrong, you've got some impressive pieces here, but the only one who can really determine their quality is you. If your buyers are not satisfied, then it's probably time to change.

As for the Mask of Mechanics, like I said before: that's how I interpreted it looking, and I can only model what I see. It's my limitation. I'm the least artistic person on the planet - I don't have the ability to "make it swoopier" unless I can see it and copy it. I toootally cannot "envision the statue within the marble." So if you want to make a series of awesome sketches, I can copy them. But I can't just invent a wooshier version of it. And honestly, when I made it, (I think it was the third one I made,) I didn't have any idea I'd like the process so much and improve and do all the rest of these, I just did it because I thought it would be easy and fun. 

As for the Krodan, I'm copying a piece of plastic that already exists in the real world. I'm very happy with the accuracy of it, http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6210755 especially, the bottom half that you're talking about. While we're on the subject, just because this issue's been brought up a dozen times, we've all seen the Pakari, yes? And Great Matatu, and Great Komau...? Plenty of masks are lacking in side-lower-face cover. 

And, as far as know, I haven't had any "buyer" complaints, just vague criticisms from non-buyers. 

I just looked at your shapeways.com store!! The updated Blocko #2 Mask, the Kanohi Rapa, and Kanohi Taputu are all on par with your other creations!! Everything in the store is stunning and of the utmost quality!!

I'm sorry to hear that you're taking a break, but your definitely deserve it! Take a whole month off for vacation, haha.

If and when you do come back, I have a couple of suggestions for masks:

1) The Mask of Creation.  There are 3D images of that so you'll have something to work off of, but this way all you'd need to do is change the connection points from the 2015 Bionicles to the 2001-2010 Bionicles with an axle rod at the back. This is a simple fix, but many people will appreciate it!!!

2) The Mask of Conjuring.  I understand that it isn't part of your headcanon, but I think its shape is particularly beautiful. The design could've been passed off as an official Lego Mask.

3) The Mask of Light And Shadow.  This mask has eluded many true fans of Bionicle over the years and I believe that it would be so cool to see it come to life.

Please don't feel like you have to worry about these masks. They were food for thought, but great projects, nonetheless. Enjoy your vacation!! :)

For the first time in four years ... the Bionicle story comes to a close

with the Bionicle Disunity trilogy

Were you as shocked as I was upon learning the Bionicle serials "The Yesterday Quest" and "The Powers That Be" would never be finished?

Did you know that Lego won't allow Greg Farshtey to complete the story because they want to focus on marketing G2?

My close friend The Mad Great Being has been working tirelessly on completing the Bionicle story ... and now it is finally finished. His writing style stays

true to the integrity of the characters that we know and love.  His plot ideas are something only comparable to Greg Farshtey's.

Trust me, I'm hard to please with fan-fiction.  If you liked reading Bionicle Chronicles/Adventures/Legends ... then you won't

want to miss the next best thing since learning Mata Nui was a 40-million-foot-tall robot.

BZP User The Mad Great Being presents ... Bionicle: Malevolence

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19970-the-great-being-civil-war/

Sponsored by Wamsutta

The new masks look great, to be sure. But some of your older ones, like the Mask of Mechanics, are in sore need of improvement. That particular mask looks like a thick cardboard cutout that got slapped on someone's face, rather than fitting to the general shape of the head. You model for the Mask of Growth seems to suffer the same fate. What I suggest you do, before you make any more new ones, is go back and improve the old models. The Mask of Mechanics, for example, could be shaped more like the Avsa (Vamprah's mask, or more round and shortened like the version worn by Gavla). This would fix the flatness of it, and make it far more appealing.

The point Thau Nuva was trying to make is that you've got some of the details down, but you lack in others. Now, it's hard to pick exactly what's wrong, because we can't all see the model in its entirety for ourselves. One thing I've learned to do (with any sort of creative work) is go back through what you've done, and pick out all the stuff you think might be bad about it. if it matches up with the criticisms of others, then maybe its in need of a change.

Don't get me wrong, you've got some impressive pieces here, but the only one who can really determine their quality is you. If your buyers are not satisfied, then it's probably time to change.

As for the Mask of Mechanics, like I said before: that's how I interpreted it looking, and I can only model what I see. It's my limitation. I'm the least artistic person on the planet - I don't have the ability to "make it swoopier" unless I can see it and copy it. I toootally cannot "envision the statue within the marble." So if you want to make a series of awesome sketches, I can copy them. But I can't just invent a wooshier version of it. And honestly, when I made it, (I think it was the third one I made,) I didn't have any idea I'd like the process so much and improve and do all the rest of these, I just did it because I thought it would be easy and fun. 

As for the Krodan, I'm copying a piece of plastic that already exists in the real world. I'm very happy with the accuracy of it, http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6210755 especially, the bottom half that you're talking about. While we're on the subject, just because this issue's been brought up a dozen times, we've all seen the Pakari, yes? And Great Matatu, and Great Komau...? Plenty of masks are lacking in side-lower-face cover. 

And, as far as know, I haven't had any "buyer" complaints, just vague criticisms from non-buyers. 

Well, I gave the example of Vamprah's or Gavla's mask. Just copy the template of your model onto the shape of their masks. That would fix that. I'll try to draw up a sketch if it'll help.

Ah, Seeing it on a face, it does look much better. 

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

The Mask of Life: sorry to nitpick, but I've been trying to get my hands on this mask for awhile. Your design is really close, I just feel like the top of the mask (forehead) can be longer and the bottom (where the vents are) could be wider. I know someone on bzpower 3d printed one before (which can be seen below), but didn't make it available to the public unfortunately.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/816136s/CustomMasks/ignika.jpg

Follow me on Instagram for nothing but Bionicle @Bionicle.Art #ToaTupac

https://instagram.com/bionicle.art/

Wow, those updated versions of the masks look awesome! You did a really nice job on all of these!

hey you talking tome?

i was about to talk about the mask maker abot those masks of mine.

jimmybob83?

Edited by phinto

I'm reopening the comic forum on this link below

phintodaily.gif 
the ask-along-phinto comic
chibimaker.gif
make your own chibitoran
gamedis.gif
game programmer wanted.
razorsprites.gif  
try my sprites if you like.

Wow, these things are awesome! The possibilities are endless, and I hope this inspires others to take up 3D printing too.

On a side note, I wonder how this'll affect business for Vaal...

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

Congratulations on making it to the front page! It's about time you deserve it, verily.

There is one thing about the Ignika... the crown protrusions/spikes seem too... straight. :/  But thanks for trying to make them thicker, you are becoming as cautious as a Great Being!

Edited by Iaredios
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Makuta_of_Oz, these deserve to be canon!! The hard work and energy that jimmybob83 has put into this is unparalleled. It should be rewarded!

Were you as shocked as I was upon learning the Bionicle serials "The Yesterday Quest" and "The Powers That Be" would never be finished?

Did you know that Lego won't allow Greg Farshtey to complete the story because they want to focus on marketing G2?

My close friend The Mad Great Being has been working tirelessly on completing the Bionicle story ... and now it is finally finished. His writing style stays

true to the integrity of the characters that we know and love.  His plot ideas are something only comparable to Greg Farshtey's.

Trust me, I'm hard to please with fan-fiction.  If you liked reading Bionicle Chronicles/Adventures/Legends ... then you won't

want to miss the next best thing since learning Mata Nui was a 40-million-foot-tall robot.

Sponsored by Wamsutta

Wow, that's a lot of replies, thanks everyone. 

I just looked at your shapeways.com store!! The updated Blocko #2 Mask, the Kanohi Rapa, and Kanohi Taputu are all on par with your other creations!! Everything in the store is stunning and of the utmost quality!!

I'm sorry to hear that you're taking a break, but your definitely deserve it! Take a whole month off for vacation, haha.

If and when you do come back, I have a couple of suggestions for masks:

1) The Mask of Creation.  There are 3D images of that so you'll have something to work off of, but this way all you'd need to do is change the connection points from the 2015 Bionicles to the 2001-2010 Bionicles with an axle rod at the back. This is a simple fix, but many people will appreciate it!!!

2) The Mask of Conjuring.  I understand that it isn't part of your headcanon, but I think its shape is particularly beautiful. The design could've been passed off as an official Lego Mask.

3) The Mask of Light And Shadow.  This mask has eluded many true fans of Bionicle over the years and I believe that it would be so cool to see it come to life.

Please don't feel like you have to worry about these masks. They were food for thought, but great projects, nonetheless. Enjoy your vacation!! :)

1) Sorry to disappoint but, I'm one of those old purist curmudgeons, I really don't have much interest in Bionicle 2015. 2) It's a possibility for the future, it wouldn't be very hard, actually. 3) That is actually a really good idea, I hadn't considered that. 

The Mask of Life: sorry to nitpick, but I've been trying to get my hands on this mask for awhile. Your design is really close, I just feel like the top of the mask (forehead) can be longer and the bottom (where the vents are) could be wider. I know someone on bzpower 3d printed one before (which can be seen below), but didn't make it available to the public unfortunately. 

You're right, of course, but you're also right that it's nitpicky :P I'll see what I can do but no promises. 

I would love it if these became canon!

In order for that to happen completely, we'd have to rewrite and delete most of the fanon-canon masks of strange weirdness, I think some people would dig their heels in against that, sadly. 

can you do my masks? 

I really don't think so, sorry.

More on topic, a few movie-edition masks would be cool to see!  :D Jimmybob, you think you might ever try those?

I can't think of any, really, aside from maybe the Noble Hau. Like mentioned above, someone already made an awesome Mask of Shadows, and I just noticed yesterday that the dude who made the movie edition Mask of Light finally put his up for sale, I just bought one in my latest batch. Hey, someone should contact both of them and have them collaborate to make that Mask of Light-and-Shadow. 

Really awesome stuff here. I adore that Ignika and Olisi, will certainly be buying those soon. 

I'd love to see more of the concept Toa masks from 2015 be made into designs. Being one of those who really don't like Lewa's new Miru, I'd be all over a design based off one of the concepts. 

I was actually thinking about learning how to 3D print to make the Olisi to put out there. You just saved me the job.

By the way, do you think you could make the blue helmet of the Agori Atakus and the Skrall were shoving around in the Sands of Bara Magna comic?

Edited by The Toa Kaita Nuva Nui

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

Too cool for words. I may come back to this and browse the shop for the ones I'd like to have. Definitely want to support this kind of modern creation effort, which definitely belongs here on BZPower. Thank you for all the time that went into this!

If you'd like to know, my favourite is the Mask of Elemental Energy. Its shape came out so well that I would not be surprised to see it on an official set. Very good lines.

APlayofLight_zps1888c63b.jpeg

Part One of the Chrysalis Saga

By Takuta-Nui

We could always have only some of your masks become canon. I can see the Kanohi Tepan: Mask of Psychometry, Kanohi Krodan: Mask of Growth, the Kanohi Zilor: Mask of Rahi Control, and Kanohi Pamatae: Mask of Clairvoyance becoming officially canon!

Also, I see on your shapeways.com store that you added a second Kanohi Krodan.  I can't find anything that seems to be changed, however.  What were your edits?

Edited by Wamsutta

Sponsored by Wamsutta

I bought a few and first let me saw that they are phenomenal, truly. I'll definitely be getting others. I did find two down sides to the Olisi, one being that the axle pin is too low the eyes don't reach the eye holes; two is that it is just so huge! I already figured out what to do for a head, it really is the size of it that's throwing it off, but it can be over looked seeing as it is just so sweet! Also the mask of Elemental Energy is a dream. Keep up the great work, I'm really loving these!

We could always have only some of your masks become canon. I can see the Kanohi Tepan: Mask of Psychometry, Kanohi Krodan: Mask of Growth, the Kanohi Zilor: Mask of Rahi Control, and Kanohi Pamatae: Mask of Clairvoyance becoming officially canon!

Also, I see on your shapeways.com store that you added a second Kanohi Krodan.  I can't find anything that seems to be changed, however.  What were your edits?

The night I uploaded the Krodan, the website malfunctioned, and so I tried again and the same thing happened - there was a forum topic about it, everything anyone uploaded at that time was frozen in limbo. So I tried again the next day and the third attempt was the one that went up. The other old ones must finally be unfreezing is all, I'll edit it.

I bought a few and first let me saw that they are phenomenal, truly. I'll definitely be getting others. I did find two down sides to the Olisi, one being that the axle pin is too low the eyes don't reach the eye holes; two is that it is just so huge! I already figured out what to do for a head, it really is the size of it that's throwing it off, but it can be over looked seeing as it is just so sweet! Also the mask of Elemental Energy is a dream. Keep up the great work, I'm really loving these! 

I figured any Karzahni MOC would be big so I made the mask large, yeah. I suppose I could shrink a version down but that would mean a lot of tweaking to make the horns thicker for printing purposes. 

Really nice! great work on all of them. Very accurate, but do you use Blender? or any other software?

Always remember, the three virtues.

Unit,   Duty,    Destiny.

300px-Unity%2C_Duty_and_Destiny.jpg

That is the way of the BIONICLE.      

Perhaps you could make the Noble Hau of Lhikan's from the second movie or the Kanohi from VNOLG (the infected Matoran's, the Vision Mask and the non-canon "Noble" Kanohi).

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

Wow, those updated versions of the masks look awesome! You did a really nice job on all of these!

hey you talking tome?

i was about to talk about the mask maker abot those masks of mine.

jimmybob83?

I was talking to jimmybob, but your mask designs look nice too. :P (And would probably look even cooler if they could be 3D-printed.)

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Makuta_of_Oz, these deserve to be canon!! The hard work and energy that jimmybob83 has put into this is unparalleled. It should be rewarded!

I agree. A Ta-Matoran could've done no better.

• Upvote 1

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

I have a few questions to ask, since I am considering purchasing a kanohi from you or getting a 3D printer for myself.  

Question 1. Where did you get a 3D printer and what materials+software are you supposed to use in order to make those kanohi? I don't know what those 3D printed kanohi are made from and I don't know what kind of program I would need to make a rendering of a kanohi. 

Question 2. Can you ship 3D printed kanohi to Australia? I really want to buy a mata green kanohi miru, but I'm not sure if you ship orders overseas or only ship to American addresses. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

This is all available on his shapeways.com store; masksforall. You'd have to check their policies about shipping internationally.

Sponsored by Wamsutta

Your new Mask of Healing is more faithful to its inspiration, but honestly I prefer the original design.

The new Mask of Emulation is beautiful!

I think the Mask of Mechanics actually looks nice with that increased depth.

The Mask of Diminishment has really tiny eyes; it might look better with bigger ones.

The Mask of Psychometry has REALLY wide-set eyes, maybe that should be narrowed.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Okay these are awesome. I don't need to say more but the two best are the Olisis and mask of elemental power.

-Onvermel- :pakari:

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

I am very impressed with your work. I doubt I could do 3-d designing. I would definitely consider getting some of these. One can never have enough masks.

Toa Han

Unless, of course, you could sell them and safely eat at Red Lobster. Then, you have/had too many. :lol:

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Some of those mask look amazing looking but other not so much but seeing there V2 looks a lot better. One of the biggest thing I don't like about the mask are the V1 like Mask of Healing, Mechanics and Elasticity because of them looking too flat but there update are better.

The Kanohi Olisi is a little odd because the size of the horn looks different from the picture (or that maybe jsut me). The fan made mask of Mask of Weight Increase and Mask of Psychometry are awesome looking, I may buy one of those or both and hope to see more  fan made stuff on shapeway, along with 2015 concept art mask.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I just had an idea: have you or would you be willing to make standard forms of the Mistika Makuta kanohi. Unless you have some shape lying around, I could help with their design. :P

Another idea: Suvas, like ones seen in Templar games and animations, and they could be in different shapes and sizes! I know, different from masks, but at least they are related...

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png