Pohatu's plastic?

The 1st Shadow

So, last night, I dug out a blacklight pen because I wanted to see my Pohatu set with glowy limbs (oh, don't act like you haven't done it, too. :P ). Anyway, When I held the pen up to him, I noticed something interesting. In normal light, the color of his mask is identical to that of his armor.

imgp9595.jpg

However, when held up to a blacklight...

imgp9596.jpg

It turns almost black, while the rest of his armor retains its orange-y color. Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing? Is it a different plastic or something? And does this happen with any of the other 2015 masks?

(Sorry for the not-so-decent pictures. Camera's never do see what we see, sadly.)

• Upvote 3

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

It's less the masks and more the color. Have you tried it on other burnt orange pieces, because they look different too. It seems oranges, red, and yellows all have slight variations in shades under a black light. And its more defined when you're comparing chinese plastic, like that from the collectible minifigs, because those colors really stand out.

:music:

It's less the masks and more the color. Have you tried it on other burnt orange pieces, because they look different too. It seems oranges, red, and yellows all have slight variations in shades under a black light. And its more defined when you're comparing chinese plastic, like that from the collectible minifigs, because those colors really stand out.

Hmmm, that's interesting for sure! Good thing they look the same under normal lighting conditions though.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

What I find really interesting is that under a blacklight, brown and gold masks end up the same color.

Actually, the gold is still recognizable as gold. Just doesn't show in the pictures.

That is really interesting have you tried with other masks.

No. That's why I asked if anyone else had noticed it with theirs :P

I don't have many sets with it, but now that you mention it, I do have the McToran Huki, and my brother had Takua & Pewku. I'll give it a try, but given that they're separated by over a decade, I already expect a difference. :shrugs:

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

What I find really interesting is that under a blacklight, brown and gold masks end up the same color.

Actually, the gold is still recognizable as gold. Just doesn't show in the pictures.

That is really interesting have you tried with other masks.

No. That's why I asked if anyone else had noticed it with theirs :P

I don't have many sets with it, but now that you mention it, I do have the McToran Huki, and my brother had Takua & Pewku. I'll give it a try, but given that they're separated by over a decade, I already expect a difference. :shrugs:

No i mean with the other masks of the toa.

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

I've had this happen with other LEGO parts from other themes. It sometimes has to do with the parts being produced in different facilities. The LEGO Group usually gets all its plastic from one supplier, but their colored dyes are sourced from many different suppliers, so one facility's Dark Orange dye might not be exactly the same formulation as another facility's dye, even if they both match the target color under visible light.

I've seen even more bizarre and improbable examples of this from other toy companies. I have a My Little Pony Cheerilee figure (a magenta-colored pony) whose head glows hot pink and body and legs glow stark white under a blacklight, despite the color of those parts being indistinguishable under visible light.

• Upvote 4

I've had this happen with other LEGO parts from other themes. It sometimes has to do with the parts being produced in different facilities. The LEGO Group usually gets all its plastic from one supplier, but their colored dyes are sourced from many different suppliers, so one facility's Dark Orange dye might not be exactly the same formulation as another facility's dye, even if they both match the target color under visible light.

I've seen even more bizarre and improbable examples of this from other toy companies. I have a My Little Pony Cheerilee figure (a magenta-colored pony) whose head glows hot pink and body and legs glow stark white under a blacklight, despite the color of those parts being indistinguishable under visible light.

I figured that might be the case. I just found it odd that the mask was the only part that did that.

On another note, I checked some other parts, and found that the burnt orange color from the early years does retain its color, mostly. Although I did notice that Dume's torso piece durns almost black, as well, while some other red parts stayed recognizable. The same happened with Balta's Huna. It seems to be just the specialty pieces that might be done with different color dyes.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Kind of like an Easter egg with the Hulk big-fig in the Marvel Super Heroes line. When under blacklight, his hands turn bright green (like boxing gloves) and his tan pants... wait for it... turn PURPLE.

I guess LEGO just either does this stuff for a laff, or it's actually a mistake.

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

That's a pretty cool find. I'd wager it has something to do with the fact that the shell pieces have been used for the last few years, but the masks are brand new. Perhaps this was intentional, since the Stone characters are fighting scorpions and whatnot (Fun fact: Scorpions glow under a black light). Either way, I gotta try that some time.

why is this happening