What if "Bone-Heads of Voodoo Island" had been released?

masterchirox580

So I was wondering to myself what would bionicle (or in this case Bone-Heads) and the lego company itself have been like if bionicle was released as it's original concept (that being Bone-Heads), if you don't know what Bone-Heads was I'll leave a link to the "bionicle autopsy" video where it explains what Bone-Heads was, skip to 1:13 to find out.

So yeah what would have happened if Bone-Heads/bionicle was released as it was originally conceptualized? 

It's time to move on.

Who knows? Based on the original idea of 'Bone-Heads', it could have not been as popular as Bionicle was back in its original run.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Bone-heads of Voodoo Island was almost certainly never a real title for anything.

Toy companies, game companies, and even film companies give their upcoming products placeholder production names so that competition doesn't catch wind of what they're doing and try to copy them.

But if things had gone different and Bone-heads was the final title used, then just imagine Vakama's dialogue at the end of each Miramax film:

"And that... is the legend of the Bone-heads of Voodoo Island."

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 5

To quote Makaru from a previous topic about the Bone-Heads of Voodoo Island:

It would have been tragically amazing and awful. And we would all remember Lego as the amazing company that went bankrupt in 2002.

~B~

Bionicle is the theme many people credit with saving Lego.

Doo-Heads could have been the theme that people would have credited with killing Lego. :P  :P  :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

It wouldn't have been good. But what if Slizers had gone on?

I personally think that the Slizers line would have continued to be pretty popular as it was in it's first and only year, but it undoubtedly wouldn't have been as good as Bionicle. Especially when you consider how much they have aged. The 2001 Bionicle sets? Timeless. The 1999 Slizers sets? Really dated. 

• Upvote 1

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

I personally think that the Slizers line would have continued to be pretty popular as it was in it's first and only year, but it undoubtedly wouldn't have been as good as Bionicle. Especially when you consider how much they have aged. The 2001 Bionicle sets? Timeless. The 1999 Slizers sets? Really dated. 

Well I wouldn't call the 2001 sets timeless. As much as I love those old things, they look pretty dated when put up to Lego's newer standards. There are some things like a lack of articulation in a lot of places and such that make them pretty old when seen from today.

But I can agree that a lot of the aspects from them where timeless. The bright and cool colors, the functions and interesting masks/designs have leaked and influenced the reboot and have shown to be popular despite age.

For one I don't think It would have spelled doom for lego.

Voodoo heads would not have been as popular, but it still would gain a following.

Then in 2002, lego would release another theme, Roll-bots, with a decent buyer rate.

Not wanting to isolate fans they would have released another wave of Voodoo heads, continuing the story.

Then Finish off the rollbots theme with super roll-bots.

Then Lego would devote it's resources for late 2003 onwards to sub themes of the voodo universe such as Serpent heads, Disk mouths, Metalheads of the Ancient City, Skull heads, Bone heads of the trench, ect.

• Upvote 4

Not sure if it would have been as successful with a title like that. Even if it was the exact same story and sets - the title "Bone-Heads of Voodoo Island" isn't catchy and it's too long. Also, it's memorable for all the wrong reasons.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

One interesting thing is that Slizers had very different stories in North America and Europe. North America changed the name to Throwbots, changed the plot from one planet with different regions to many planets, and gave the characters new names. I could see Lego bringing the plots together for later waves if the line had continued; though the European plot was the original, the North American names (Granite, Scuba, Torch, Ski, Amazon...) are much more memorable than the European ones (Rock, Sub, Fire, Ice...).

Bone-heads of Voodoo Island was almost certainly never a real title for anything.

Toy companies, game companies, and even film companies give their upcoming products placeholder production names so that competition doesn't catch wind of what they're doing and try to copy them.

But if things had gone different and Bone-heads was the final title used, then just imagine Vakama's dialogue at the end of each Miramax film:

"And that... is the legend of the Bone-heads of Voodoo Island."

Bone Heads was a legitimate title. It was Greg that put forth the idea that it was a placeholder, but by his own admission he knows very little about the origins of BIONICLE. It was real, and then the team pitched 'Doo Heads' as a retooling of that idea, and when they were turned down again they came back with BIONICLE.

• Upvote 2

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Bone Heads was a legitimate title. It was Greg that put forth the idea that it was a placeholder, but by his own admission he knows very little about the origins of BIONICLE. It was real, and then the team pitched 'Doo Heads' as a retooling of that idea, and when they were turned down again they came back with BIONICLE.

"Doo Heads"?

That's horrible! Thank goodness someone had the sense to turn them down.

• Upvote 2

Bionicle is boneheads on voodoo island. Just a whole lot more serious. I am proud to be a DooHead.

Not quite actually, originally bone-heads had loose heads that could easily be knocked off, not to mention the names were very different (with such great names as "axe" and "flame" and "kick"), and if you look at the concept art they originally had a much more organic look to them rather then the mechanical style of 2001. 

It's time to move on.

Not sure if this is Bone-Heads or not, but I want to see sets of the prototype Matoran on Christian Faber's blog that have names like "Woo" and "Doo-Chuck" (seen here).

There is no Bionicle, only Zuul.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Bionicle is boneheads on voodoo island. Just a whole lot more serious. I am proud to be a DooHead.

Not quite actually, originally bone-heads had loose heads that could easily be knocked off, not to mention the names were very different (with such great names as "axe" and "flame" and "kick"), and if you look at the concept art they originally had a much more organic look to them rather then the mechanical style of 2001. 

Yeah. The names sounded like a continuation of Slizer.

• Upvote 2

cringe

TheSkeletonMan939 is right, "Bone-heads of Voodoo Island" was just a placeholder. Yes, it was a commonly refered-to placeholder, but I do not believe that it was actually seriously considered as a possible name. I do not remember where I read this, but it is not an inference.

Regardless, Gen2 may very well be "Bone-heads of Voodoo Island" incarnate. Unlike Gen1, which heavily involved mechanical machines from the very beginning even on the "primitive" island of Mata Nui, Gen2 seems to revolve more around the idea of magic (it is the "mythical island of Okoto" after all). Gen1 also gave us the krana, creatures that possess the mind when latched onto the face, but they were emphasised as organic (another reoccuring theme in BIO-ONICLE). These new Skull Spiders however, are, well, bone. Moreover, while we don't know what the summer-wave of sets looks like, we do know their names and the word "skull" is repeated in all of them ("skull" essentially translates to "bone-head", in case that had to be clarified). Honestly, I think LEGO asked the same question and wanted to find out.

• Upvote 1

Moreover, while we don't know what the summer-wave of sets looks like, we do know their names and the word "skull" is repeated in all of them ("skull" essentially translates to "bone-head", in case that had to be clarified).

Well, we do have leaked pictures about the summer wave. I don't think we're allowed to describe them at all, but it seems that they're actual enemies for the Masters, kind of like how each hero in HF had a specific villain he or she would go up against, like Furno and that shark guy in Breakout.

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Regardless, Gen2 may very well be "Bone-heads of Voodoo Island" incarnate. Unlike Gen1, which heavily involved mechanical machines from the very beginning even on the "primitive" island of Mata Nui, Gen2 seems to revolve more around the idea of magic (it is the "mythical island of Okoto" after all). Gen1 also gave us the krana, creatures that possess the mind when latched onto the face, but they were emphasised as organic (another reoccuring theme in BIO-ONICLE). These new Skull Spiders however, are, well, bone. Moreover, while we don't know what the summer-wave of sets looks like, we do know their names and the word "skull" is repeated in all of them ("skull" essentially translates to "bone-head", in case that had to be clarified). Honestly, I think LEGO asked the same question and wanted to find out.

I think it may be more of a reference to the skull enemies of Season 1 of Ninjago. 

I think it may be more of a reference to the skull enemies of Season 1 of Ninjago. 

Really? Are you sure they would would make the whole thing based off another theme?

• Upvote 1

cringe

That doesn't make sense in the context of what I said. For one, I was talking about skulls that latch onto the faces of their enemies and then control them, like krana. Last time I checked, the skeletons in Ninjago don't do that. The other point that I made was about the contrasting lack of mechanical objects/vehicles in Gen2 compared to Gen1. Ninjago, however, has always had lots of vehicles as a staple; not to mention that the last season was all about robots. And as moamahrimatoro implicitely said, it simply seems unlikely that LEGO would base a whole revival on a seperate theme, especially since there was a similar-to-now prototype in BIONICLE's past.

Really? Are you sure they would would make the whole thing based off another theme?

It's possible. Ninjago was a big success. If they figured out what made it a success, they might take those elements and put them into Bionicle for a hopefully similar result. 

Well, I know that when I was a kid, I was drawing skulls and stuff all the time. Maybe Lego knows what they're doing with the skull-based things.