Toa Nuva vs. Toa Inika

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Toa Inika get my vote - as much as I love the Nuva, I felt like I connected to the Inika more. Their personalities were all more unique, I felt, as well as breaking the stereotypical traits of their respective elements. They also worked better as a team; while the Nuva and Metru were constantly bickering, the Inika managed to organize themselves smoothly (even Jaller's leadership felt more like the team working together as a whole). 

Plus, the Inika weren't afraid to get a little dark if the situation called for it; as shown by their brief alliances with various members of the Piraka and Barraki. 

• Upvote 3

The Toa Nuva were very much larger-than-life characters. They almost resembled gods, what with all the legends surrounding them, and it even showed in their speech sometimes. Most of them were archetypal, and their personalities were literally symbolic of their elements. They were good for what they were, but the aforementioned qualities make them a bit distant from the reader and hard to relate to. More so, while their stories were good, they were not as compelling as those of the characters that followed them. In fact, even within their era (2001-2003), I think the person with the most compelling characterization was Takua.

The Toa Inika/Mahri are more fascinating and engaging on nearly every level. They were a highly competent team because most of them were experienced fighters and lifelong friends, and as a result problems with unity weren't as prevalent as they were with the Toa Mata/Nuva, allowing the story to explore (IMO) more interesting aspects of each character. They were more relatable because they had more flawed personalities and more compelling character dynamics. There were so many things going on with them during 2006-2007, including Jaller's issues following his death, his conscious attempt to be a better leader than those before him, and even his conflict and differences with Matoro, which were far more subtle than Tahu vs. Kopaka yet still more interesting. You had Matoro's developmental arc, Hahli's increased independence in Mahri Nui, Nuparu's bonding with Velika over inventions, Hewkii's pride as an athlete, Kongu purposely playing the role of comic relief in an effort to lighten himself up after being inspired by Lewa, etc. They had so many different facets to their personalities and the team dynamic was fantastic. In addition to all that, as a team they struggled to maintain their morality and values in the face of unrelenting brutality. The constantly shifting alliances during the Mahri Nui arc in particular was also really fun. All this greatness is topped off by Matoro's sacrifice, one of the best moments in BIONICLE G1's story.

So yeah, Inika/Mahri for me. Both they and their storylines were better IMO.

Edited by toa kopaka4372
  • Upvote 1

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

I went with neither, because the Toa Metru are the best Toa, and that's really all I have to say about that.

Except for this other stuff I'm about to say, I guess: of these two options, yeah, I'd go with the Inika. Their stories were more interesting in almost every aspect. I definitely found their characters more interesting than the Mata, and their part of the story will always be among my favorites.

AXKP5KC.png

I picked Inika/Mahri, and not because they were the first Toa team I was exposed to. I just kinda like them better. I like their sets better (the Mahri were hit or miss, though), I thought their adventures on Voya Nui were really dangerous, and they fought a team of some of BIONICLE's most deadly villains (that were released in set form) and lived to tell of it (until Matoro died). Sure, the Nuva had some amazing adventures that I really enjoy, but there's just something about the Inika that strikes the right note with me.

However, the Metru is my favorite team. Just making that clear.

Edited by Toa Varova

mindeth the cobwebs

I do have to say that the Inika were part a cooler story arc and that's the basis of my vote. I loosely followed character bios so I'm not a book of knowledge about either team. That said, the mask powers gave the Inika an absurd amount of power, but that's good because it helped them to defeat the Piraka (which the Nuva couldn't do). Beyond that though, I'd give it to the Inika because they were definitely more unified as a team than the Nuva ever were. My analogy is that the Nuva can band together to win a few basketball games, though they are mostly ball hogs fighting amongst themselves, and the Inika pass the ball every 10 seconds and score more frequently.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

INIKA. I grew up with these guys as my first Toa team and I can't tell you how many accounts I have under Hahli's name. Funnily enough, my Xbox Live Gamertag is Hahli Nuva.

I like both teams, but I just felt too relatable to the Inika. They were so new and had these cool powers and personalities that I couldn't ignore. I didn't get to experience the other Toa teams but the Inika were my first. I guess this is why 2006 holds a special place in my heart. 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing