Will there ever be another Quest of the Toa?

Zeb

To quote Vahkiti:

"For those who don't know, BQotT, or Bionicle: Quest of the Toa was a Bionicle fan movie project that started in 2005, vanished in 07, and resurfaced in 09 only to vanish again in 2010."

Well, I took a look at the footage and soundtrack for that project. The movie, which would have been based off of the 2001 story, had potential. Lots of potential. But alas, it has been nearly 5 years since the project vanished (a second time), never to be continued.

With today's technology and software, as well as the increasing interest in Bionicle lately, I wonder if something like that project could show up. Maybe it would be computer animation like Quest of the Toa, or maybe it would be stop-motion. But could something like QotT ever start up again?

And if so, who would start it up? I would like to try an make a project like that, but I have little to no experience in stop-motion nor computer modelling/animation. I'm sure some of ouy know something about computer animation and modelling. (Interestingly enough, Vhrano made a 17-minute animation that takes place during the Bohrok Wars, which I think was very well done... aside from Kopaka saying a bad word that reminds you of beavers at one point.)

So what do OUY think? Do ouy think there will ever be another project to make a stop-motion or computer-animated Bionicle fan-film based off of 2001? (Or any whole year in general?) Or was Bionicle: Quest of the Toa something that was special and may never happen again? Thank ouy for reading.
Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Well, there was B:NG, but the members lost interest and time and it's not doing so well anymore. I really hope that someone else takes up the project as more and more fans turn towards 3D modelling.

• Upvote 1

Well, there was B:NG, but the members lost interest and time and it's not doing so well anymore. I really hope that someone else takes up the project as more and more fans turn towards 3D modelling.

B:NG? What does that stand for?

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

BIONICLE: Next Generation.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

BIONICLE: Next Generation.

Ouy know, that should have been obvious to me. :P Too bad it went inactive too. -_-

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Making a full movie? Well, be it stop motion or computer generated, that's going to take a very long time. It took Vrahno about two years to animate seventeen minutes in CGI. Granted, that was a solitary project, but that is just a lot of work that could easily discourage someone.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Fan projects are notoriously difficult to pull off, having been involved in several of varying types and source material over the years. First off, they take forever to accomplish as they require people to fit them in around the rest of their real life commitments. Noone gets paid so it can NEVER be prioritised. The team is constantly changing as people go through various life changing events in the real world. These can include but are not limited to birth, death, marriage, divorce, moving, changing job, and all sorts of other things which happen to most of us at a fairly reliable frequency. Communication is tough too as you often work with people you don't know really know and have never met, quite possibly in a different country or timezone and even speaking a different language! 

There's a whole host of things that make fan-projects difficult to pull off, many more than listed above. If you have a good leader, a solid idea and a dependable team though,there's no reason it can't be done. As long as everyone involved goes into it with their eyes wide open and reasonable expectations then there's every chance it will succeed :)

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Fan projects are notoriously difficult to pull off, having been involved in several of varying types and source material over the years. First off, they take forever to accomplish as they require people to fit them in around the rest of their real life commitments. Noone gets paid so it can NEVER be prioritised. The team is constantly changing as people go through various life changing events in the real world. These can include but are not limited to birth, death, marriage, divorce, moving, changing job, and all sorts of other things which happen to most of us at a fairly reliable frequency. Communication is tough too as you often work with people you don't know really know and have never met, quite possibly in a different country or timezone and even speaking a different language! 

There's a whole host of things that make fan-projects difficult to pull off, many more than listed above. If you have a good leader, a solid idea and a dependable team though,there's no reason it can't be done. As long as everyone involved goes into it with their eyes wide open and reasonable expectations then there's every chance it will succeed :)

I think that when no one gets paid, it will turn into a Half Life 3 situation. "It will come out next year" And they say that every year. (But they get paid so...) And then every Bionicle fan will remember the project and say, "It will come out next year"

cringe

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, I myself have been trying to make a BIONICLE movie. I have not touched it in a while because all I have are some practice exercises (still learning 3D-animation, mind you).

Is it possible for a group of fans to make a feature-length animated BIONICLE movie? Sure, no one would question that. There are, of course, some necessary ingredients to make it work.

For one, you need a number of people who have some experience in animation. This actually is not as hard to acheive as one might think. If you could find one person with a lot of experience and several other people who are simply enthusiatic then that one could post YouTube videos or links to the right sites for the enthusiastic ones to learn from. Yes, many would not stick to it, but odds are that if you start with enough then at least a few will pull through.

A good animation software is Blender. It's free, open-source, moderately well-known, and with the introduction of Cycles, it's just as good as ones you have to pay money for.

Now while such a thing would be a community project, there still needs to be a solid vision from the beginning even though it would be subject to change. In addition, there would have to be some well-defined means of communication and distribution of labor. Otherwise, without a frame-work to reference to, all would be dysfunctional chaos. Everyone not only needs to follow a pre-defined protocol, but also must be on the same page for standards and vision. Take it from me, it is hard to support something that is not in your vision. My advice: aim high; don't listen to people who say, "Lower your expectations so you don't become disappointed". High goals are the only way to succeed in anything.

According to the poll, "What Year Do You Think Most Deserved a Movie?", the most popular answer was 2006. Being that was the beginning of a trilogy that was completely skipped over for the movie-series and also among the most exciting times in BIONICLE history, that would be the most logical and probably most fun year to start with. As a side note, this just so happens to be the year that I was working on so I do have somewhat of a concept, but nothing else.

Really, the most likely origin for a new movie is from people who are on this site; it won't come from elsewhere. Someone here would have to take the initiative to start this project and do the above mentioned things to make it happen. If it were to be started in a couple of months I would say that 2020 would be a reasonable release date. Sure, many people would have left by that time, but others could be rotated in their place; that's the beauty of community projects.

• Upvote 1

If a group of people are dedicated enough it would be great to see something like that, but in a fandom like Bionicle, which is relatively medium-sized, it is hard to find people like that.

For example, in the Homestuck fandom, there was a fan animation fir the fight against the Black King of Derse. However, each piece was animated by a different person, so it was all different in styles. That's not to say that it wasn't good, but finding people dedicated enough to all animate in the same style, and do the work for no money (well, a Kickstarter or Patreon could be established) would be difficult

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!