Toa Mata Remake: Kopaka

Hello, It's been a while, BZPower. Having Bionicle come back has been a wild time in my life. Never really thought it would happen, and I'm extremely happy. Anyway, onto what I have made here.

The Toa Mata are now, and always be on of my favorite sets, just because of the impact they had on me. Comparatively, they were much more simple than modern CCBC sets, so I wanted to try and bring a splash of the new elements to the original sets. I chose to redesign Kopaka not only because he's my favorite, but also because I had usable colors at the time. 

kopakafinal5.png_thumb.jpg

It's not a very complex build by any means, but that's exactly what I wanted in a new Mata design, the simplicity with the poseability.

More pictures here: 

Shield Out 

Standing Straight

Hero Pose

Action Time

If more limb colors would come out I would start working on all of the Toa, but until then, I'll work on Onua.

Edit: Image thumbnailed; please don't embed pictures over 640x640 pixels and 100 kB in BBC.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 7

My avatar is a picture of the Congressman!

Got a Wii? If you want to be Wii friends pm me.

awww yissss

I'm lovin' what you did there.

While I completely agree with keeping his limbs bear to keep him true to his original model, I can't help but wonder what he would look like with some extra armour on his limbs. Maybe make a second version? I personally would much appreciate that. :)

But with, or without the extra armor this is plain out perfect :D Keep up the excellent work!

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

He looks a little hunched, with the high shoulder armour and the shield being stored so high on his back. Of course, limitations of the parts, but think about it. Otherwise, interesting.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

This is a thing of beauty, amazing work TC1! I can totally see myself displaying a complete set of Mata with this build style, even alongside the new Okoto Toa! 

I agree with both of the previous posts to some degree though it's hard to say if any changes would be beneficial without actually seeing them made. It looks to me like you've used a metru head here so part of the hunch comes from the fact he's looking down slightly I think, it's a great pose though and I think generally the Mata necks were a little too long anyway. Provided you kept all 6 toa a little shorter so they all looked in proportion (relative to the originals) I think I like the height you've made him.

As for limbs, I was going to say exactly what Doublebee said but I have a feeling I'd like it LESS with armour on the limbs. It's just part of the Mata build style to have simple, exposed limbs and by just using a few CCBS limbs you've managed to articulate them too. Simple, but effective! If anything in the legs could hypothetically be changed, prehaps you could do something with the top pinhole as it's visible from the front. I love how the CCBS shoulders blend seamlessly into the rest of the Technic build so if you could do something similar (but less prominent) on the upper legs that might work.

It may be that adding limb armour gives him a look reminiscent of the Nuva build which would also be interesting to see so I certainly wouldn't discourage you from giving it a try! I think one day, I'd like to have a set of hybrid Mata for myself, I'll be eagerly watchingm and hoping you manage to do the others some day! Perhaps Onua would be easy enough as he would look good with the same dark b.grey limbs. You could try using the claws in his new set too if you want to mix things up :)

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Looks and feels like Kopaka, so I'd say it's a pretty cool model. I don't know if it would make him bether, but it would be cool to see him with some small armour pieces. Also I think his knees and elbows looks a bit wide, and I think you should try using this piece for the limbs, and maybe remove the leg extenders? But overall, I do really like it! :D

-  :t: :u: :r: :t: :e: :x:

Check out my photostream at Flickr!

Wow.

That's so simple, yet so effective. This is truly an example of flawlessly mixing in the two building systems and creating something extremely elegant and creative yet true to the original idea. The shoulder armour is in particular a very nice aesthetic, and using un-armoured bones for the limbs actually fits the Mata body type very, very well.

Fantastic remake.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg