HF memorial topic.

I feel like Hero Factory would have been more memorable if they focused on the concept set in IfB when the line started. In IfB, the remote builder (right, that's what it was called?) was meant to represent that you could build anything using the parts from the sets, or to customize. If this point was stressed when the line began, then I feel like it would have had a greater impact. I think it will be viewed as an afterthought in the wake of Bionicle's return, which is just a shame to me. I really wanted to see the line go further, especially with all of the loose ends from the story.

The story is another thing. The broadness of the story was meant to create inspiration for customization. "Thousands of planets"? Why not make one up? Why not make it inhabited with people in danger and send heroes (custom heroes) to save the day? I feel like the line got its message across too late in its lifespan, and now I, and probably others as well, will see it as wasted potential.  :no:

• Upvote 4

Hero Factory was a Lego theme that I never really got into. I didn't get any of the sets and I never got into its story. Or lack thereof, as I hear. And if I was into the story at the time, all the cliffhangers I keep hearing about probably would've driven me crazy. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Hero Factory was actually... kinda okay.

It's a known fact that the story isn't good, but it really isn't supposed to be. In a world of Ninjagos and Chimas, Hero Factory isn't much different, and I really don't expect it to be. I only picked up the sets for MOCing, and trust me, there are some good pieces. Hero Factory had a very wide range of colours, some being yellow and purple. Seriously, it is very hard to get purple in constraction sets, and I'm glad Voltix has those parts I need. 

There was one thing that infuriated me though. They always focused on the Alpha Team! Hero Factory would be a lot better if the theme branched out into other teams. They also really needed to stop giving Furno and Stormer a set for every single wave. I would like some team diversity, thank you very much.

• Upvote 8

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

While I do have a bunch of complaints with the story, I'll admit that it would probably win out against something like the stories from Roboriders or Throwbots/Slizers, mostly due to the lack of background information or pretty much any character development. For the record, I'm only using the initial first waves for that particular comparison, and not the entire series. I kind of felt that the concept as a whole could've been fleshed out a bit more, but that's just my opinion.

The sets themselves were also pretty decent, I suppose, once the first wave of villains and the CCBS building system kicked in anyway. I wasn't really a fan about the color schemes from Breakout on, but the newer pieces eventually made up for it.

If I had to grade it, I'd probably give it a C. There was some potential there, and not all of it was bad, but it certainly didn't do anything that impressed me either.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

In general I will have fond memories of Hero Factory, although I do not regret it ending. It had a good four-and-a-half year run, and it had to end eventually. Even though I don't know what it's sales figures were at the end, I can believe that its momentum was wearing thin enough that its chances of successfully coexisting with BIONICLE might have been slim, even if it had kept up the creative mecha concept from "Invasion from Below".

Hero Factory was a far more innovative theme than many people give it credit for. It was designed to promote and capitalize on fan creativity, even though some of those initiatives like Hero Recon Team did not end up proving sustainable in the long term. Rather than a tightly-knit saga bound by a definite canon, it crafted an open-ended universe with plenty of room for fans to create their own original characters, settings, and stories. It also gave the designers an opportunity to experiment with concepts they hadn't really been equipped to put to the test in BIONICLE, such as a brand-new building system, and marketing via social media, TV programs, and mobile apps. Who's to say whether full LEGO TV series like Ninjago or Legends of Chima would exist if the Hero Factory miniseries had not first paved the way?

For some people, nothing about Hero Factory was memorable. For me, its sets and characters will have a special place in my heart for quite some time, I think. Character development was more sporadic than I would have liked, but it was there (even the theme's first year gave each of its main characters a profoundly personal obstacle to overcome). What's more, the theme stuck with a single team of main characters for four and a half years, a decision I greatly respect.

The CCBS was of course the theme's most significant contribution. It revolutionized constraction MOCing and set design and acted as a reliable foundation for building organic characters, mechanical battle machines, and everything in between. It took what was previously a disjointed assortment of incongruous part designs and turned it into a modular system much like basic LEGO System bricks and plates or Technic beams and pins. I have a feeling we will continue to see its influence for years to come.

• Upvote 4

Hero Factory was a far more innovative theme than many people give it credit for. It was designed to promote and capitalize on fan creativity, even though some of those initiatives like Hero Recon Team did not end up proving sustainable in the long term. Rather than a tightly-knit saga bound by a definite canon, it crafted an open-ended universe with plenty of room for fans to create their own original characters, settings, and stories. It also gave the designers an opportunity to experiment with concepts they hadn't really been equipped to put to the test in BIONICLE, such as a brand-new building system, and marketing via social media, TV programs, and mobile apps. Who's to say whether full LEGO TV series like Ninjago or Legends of Chima would exist if the Hero Factory miniseries had not first paved the way?

I feel like this is where it failed. It did not really encourage the open-ended universe or fan creativity until it ended, which was too late for the line to be saved by Lego. I grasped the concept of it from the start: make your own team of heroes and create villains for the heroes to track down and save the day! The concept was promising, but it was only really emphasized in IfB with the Remote Builder (taking parts you have and making something new!).

• Upvote 1

I feel like this is where it failed. It did not really encourage the open-ended universe or fan creativity until it ended, which was too late for the line to be saved by Lego. I grasped the concept of it from the start: make your own team of heroes and create villains for the heroes to track down and save the day! The concept was promising, but it was only really emphasized in IfB with the Remote Builder (taking parts you have and making something new!).

Invasion from Below had the remote builder, but previous story arcs had the assembly tower, which similarly showcased how new heroes could come into being or existing heroes could be refitted with custom gear for new missions. I don't really see how one expressed the concept better than the other, other than the remote builder adding a "larger than life" aspect to the design process.

• Upvote 5

Having just gone through and packed up a lot of my HF sets, I gotta say... this line didn't get enough credit. It was inventive, fun, and a solid replacement of the dour latter-year BIONICLE. I'm as happy to have BIONICLE back as much as the next guy, but Hero Factory did a lot of great things (like give us CCBS!), and deserves to be remembered for them.
  • Upvote 10

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wait, its actually over? haha I didn't know that. that's incredible  :happydance:

I never really got into it. I did get a few sets, but for the sake of buying Lego. I needed something to fill the gap BIONICLE left behind. now that I think about it, If I knew then what I know now, I might have decided to save my money.

Now that I think about it a little, the premise is kinda similar, no? A world of sentient robots (of sorts) where there are heroes who are specially brought into being in order fight to protect the simple folk.

While I can definitely appreciate the whole "commando" theme they had going on, IMHO the jungle themed line was terrible.

And that's all I have to say about that. *Forrest Gump* 

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

I would remember Hero Factory because I like it. When Bionicle ended in 2010, my heart was broken and I felt very depressed about it. However, when Hero Factory came out on the same year, it cheered me up from my depression and kind of healed my heart.

The building system resembled Bionicle in some ways in that year, too. But, it was changed to the new one, the CCBS, which looks very great. The theme also had a TV show, website online and app games, comics, podcasts, the Secret Missions books by Greg Farshtey, and a bunch of guides, which I liked. I also loved the sets and story. They are all very great.

However, in 2014, all that everything have ended, cancelled, gone as Hero Factory had ended in this year, 2015, unexpectingly and unannounced for some reason, when Bionicle came back in that year. The story ended terribly because of the Invasion of Below episode, the shrinking number of episodes year by year, from four to one, Brain Attack and IFB being shorter, Heroes causing a heartless genocide on the IFB monsters, who were trying to protect their home, and lack of other characters, including Stringer and Nex in the BA and IFB episodes, and famously the unresolved cliffhangers and other things. The sets are almost sold out now as if Hero Factory is vanishing quickly. The voice actors were replaced by new ones in the IFB episode, too. The Facebook page for the theme is gone, also. Not all of the eleven episodes are released on DVD or on television. That is very tragic because I had grown to like the franchise.

Well, Hero Factory could have a longer TV show, like Ninjago and Legends of Chima. There is even a live-action movie, which is when the Universal Studios is attempting to get the rights on. The theme had a lot of potential, like these, but they are being thrown away. How very sad.

Well, at least Bionicle came back. Although I don't know about the fate of Hero Factory's live action movie now and the franchise being cancelled, I can still remember it being being a great theme that healed my heart. Its CCBS will live on to other themes, including DC and Marvel Super Heroes, Legends of Chima, Star Wars, and famously, the one that we love and admire, Bionicle in 2015. I will charish the find memories I had with it all of its years. Hero Factory, you are going to be missed, you were very great all these years, and thank you for fixing my heart.;( (crying in tears of sadness)

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

to be honest, at the end of the day, HF did alright.

the story wasn't, like, superb or anything, and the sets could get kinda iffy at times, but sometimes i guess we need to consider the overall standard story-based kids toys have? (a terrifying thought)

Anyway, HF gave us a buncha cool parts, what can at least be called a funny cast of characters, and also got my fanfic-oriented-gears turning just about as much as bionicle did, so,

RIP in peace, Heroes factor.

• Upvote 6

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

• 2 weeks later...

Though I personally wasn't that big a fan of the story and character development did feel scarce at times, the sets were what really got me into it, especially my favorite year 2012. The CCBS system introduced with the theme in 2011 was also another plus because it challenged MOC makers like myself to create unique robots, creatures, etc of all different shapes and sizes.

• Upvote 1

As far as the sets go, they weren't the best, but they weren't awful, and we did get some good pieces AND an entirely new building system out of it.

As far as the story goes, WHY THE CLIFFHANGERS. WHY THE LAZY WRITING. AND WHY THE GENOCIDE BY ACID AT THE END OF INVASION FROM BELOW.

WHY.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

• 2 weeks later...

I never fully understood how the heroes were really keeping up a legacy for their roles in the established society. Just hear me out:

1. They can never land a solid hit on a single bad guy using their weapon until just the right time (unless you're in Stormer's flashbacks)
  2. When a swarm enemy comes into play, the heroes who could barely land a hit suddenly become stronger and are able to take out one enemy in just a few strikes.
  3. Is the entire government a monopoly if the Hero Factory, a business in and of itself, is running the government? Are there people who do not like the Hero Factory (other than villains, of course) solely for this reason?
  4. From that last question, is the term "villain" really a symbol that the "villains" like to call themselves, or is it just the Hero Factory's way of establishing what they call their out-group? (an out-group is a group of people to which one shows antagonism)
  5. I feel as if the Heroes in the field would have to call in the HF Headquarters before making large-scale decisions, such as the decision prematurely made at the end of IfB. Anyone with me? I mean, they could have saved that entire race if Makuro said no to it.

I don't know about you, but I would not feel safe if the Hero Factory (or something like it) was running the established society.  ;)

• Upvote 2

I never fully understood how the heroes were really keeping up a legacy for their roles in the established society. Just hear me out:

1. They can never land a solid hit on a single bad guy using their weapon until just the right time (unless you're in Stormer's flashbacks)
  2. When a swarm enemy comes into play, the heroes who could barely land a hit suddenly become stronger and are able to take out one enemy in just a few strikes.
  3. Is the entire government a monopoly if the Hero Factory, a business in and of itself, is running the government? Are there people who do not like the Hero Factory (other than villains, of course) solely for this reason?
  4. From that last question, is the term "villain" really a symbol that the "villains" like to call themselves, or is it just the Hero Factory's way of establishing what they call their out-group? (an out-group is a group of people to which one shows antagonism)
  5. I feel as if the Heroes in the field would have to call in the HF Headquarters before making large-scale decisions, such as the decision prematurely made at the end of IfB. Anyone with me? I mean, they could have saved that entire race if Makuro said no to it.

I don't know about you, but I would not feel safe if the Hero Factory (or something like it) was running the established society.  ;)

Who made the Hero Factory in charge of the galaxy anyway?

They seem to just go around arresting everyone they don't like, making all the rules themselves. 

For some reason, they also captured those innocent animals from Quatros and locked them in cells. Da heck Hero Factory? 

They also lock them and all the villains in tiny blocks with literally no furniture or anything inside them stacked up to the roof, pretty cruel if you ask me.

Perhaps the "villains" are just rebels trying to stop the Hero Factory's opressive rule. rule.

Edited by -Chronix Master of Stuff-

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

They seem to just go around arresting everyone they don't like, making all the rules themselves. 

For some reason, they also captured those innocent animals from Quatros and locked them in cells. Da heck Hero Factory? 

They also lock them and all the villains in tiny blocks with literally no furniture or anything inside them stacked up to the roof, pretty cruel if you ask me.

Perhaps the "villains" are just rebels trying to stop the Hero Factory's opressive rule. rule.

If HF delved into the corruption of  "the governments" and the smashing of "the system" I'd've probably payed more attention to it. :u

• Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

If HF delved into the corruption of  "the governments" and the smashing of "the system" I'd've probably payed more attention to it. :u

Actually Greg Farshtey was planning to do just that, but they cancelled the books before he had a chance to do it. 

It's time to move on.

Actually Greg Farshtey was planning to do just that, but they cancelled the books before he had a chance to do it. 

Does Greg still have the rights to put up extra story material online similar to Bionicle with the last serials and him being able to canonize small things?

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Does Greg still have the rights to put up extra story material online similar to Bionicle with the last serials and him being able to canonize small things?

Probably not, but one can hope! :D

Nope, because unlike with BIONICLE, he was never on the Hero Factory story team, just hired to write the books.

That's probably for the best anyway, because as we saw with BIONICLE, writing stories pro bono is just too much of a burden for him to take on in addition to the work he's actually paid for. I respect that he cared enough about the fans and the BIONICLE universe to TRY writing more stories, but he simply couldn't commit to it in the long term.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I didn't really get into it until Savage Planet. I was angry at the brand for becoming the new Bionicle :P

But after getting over the fact that it would be there to stay (which, in hindsight, I could've probably waited out the 5 years :P) I really appreciated the ambition of the theme

I mean, had they fleshed out the corrupt hero thing, and brought back Von Nebula, it would've felt more complete, but I liked it. The open end created multiple play opportunities for kids, and using Hero Factory as a test for CCBS was great; they wouldn't lose very much money on a new theme, and it paid off in the end

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

• They can never land a solid hit on a single bad guy using their weapon until just the right time (unless you're in Stormer's flashbacks)
  • When a swarm enemy comes into play, the heroes who could barely land a hit suddenly become stronger and are able to take out one enemy in just a few strikes.
  • Is the entire government a monopoly if the Hero Factory, a business in and of itself, is running the government? Are there people who do not like the Hero Factory (other than villains, of course) solely for this reason?
  • From that last question, is the term "villain" really a symbol that the "villains" like to call themselves, or is it just the Hero Factory's way of establishing what they call their out-group? (an out-group is a group of people to which one shows antagonism)
  • I feel as if the Heroes in the field would have to call in the HF Headquarters before making large-scale decisions, such as the decision prematurely made at the end of IfB. Anyone with me? I mean, they could have saved that entire race if Makuro said no to it.

Well, there was a mention of the Anti-HF-League in a Hero Factory FM episode, if you remember...

Despotism of police forces disguised under the facade of smiling faces seems to be a common trope among LEGO themes, though - just consider LEGO City. :P

• Upvote 5

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Whilst HF never really grew on me the same way BIONICLE did, I think it did a very good job in surviving for as long as it did. Considering the immense backlash it got from BIONICLE fans when it was first introduced, I think it proved itself to be a good toyline. It was even substantially innovative with the new building system it introduced, which I don't think any MOCcist would complain about.

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

There was one thing that infuriated me though. They always focused on the Alpha Team! Hero Factory would be a lot better if the theme branched out into other teams. They also really needed to stop giving Furno and Stormer a set for every single wave. I would like some team diversity, thank you very much.

Well, to be fair, every LEGO theme besides Bionicle does that.

Heroes causing a heartless genocide on the IFB monsters, who were trying to protect their home,

I agree with the rest of your post, but to be fair, it was all a huge misunderstanding.

The episode still sucked though,

The second statement: Well, I don't think letting a sentient shark gathering a large supply of a fast acting rusting agent is the best idea.

Third statement: Actually, the reason for that is the animators didn't have that many models to go on, so they recycled the SP animals.

Actually, the reason for that is the animators didn't have that many models to go on, so they recycled the SP animals.

I apologize for this, but I feel that something like this is just lazy. They could have done what they did with the first season flashback villain (whom I do not remember the name of at the moment), or they at least could have held a contest to fill the void.

Breakout was still good, though.  ;)

Oh, and welcome to BZPower!  :br:

Love it or hate it, Hero Factory was a mediocre theme. I liked the concept and loved the sets, but HF was far from perfect. It was pretty lazy in most areas and didn't live up to Bionicle's high standards. However, it was not a horrible theme. It had a lot of good stuff in it, but when you look at Hero Factory as a whole, it was something you could have basically any related opinion about. People thought it was good, others thought it was bad. Me? I thought it was okay. Despite the interesting sets we got, the theme rarely tried anything new until Ordeal of Fire and Invasion from Below. After Ordeal of Fire, all we got were new pieces in different colors to put on the new building system, resulting in things getting a little stale. IfB mixed things up with the mech concept and we got some fantastic sets out of them, but LEGO refused to go beyond CCBS, thus resulting in more pieces in whatever color.

Overall, I'd say Hero Factory gets a 3/5. It did good and bad things, but in the end, I'm glad Bionicle's back. I won't miss Hero Factory much, if not at all. It was a good idea, but the execution was meh.

• Upvote 2

mindeth the cobwebs

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Hero Factory, I knew ye well. 

I once loved ye more than the War of Stars when thou haveth roots with the beasts of burden. 

But alas, thy building system offered nothing of new origin, and was as stale as the Destiny haters.

Thine serpents from below was equally beloved, but 'twas wasted potential.

Fare thee well, noble Hero Crafter. May you rest on the tender bosom of lady Death.

Edited by Anonymous User
  • Upvote 3

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Actually, the reason for that is the animators didn't have that many models to go on, so they recycled the SP animals.

I apologize for this, but I feel that something like this is just lazy. They could have done what they did with the first season flashback villain (whom I do not remember the name of at the moment), or they at least could have held a contest to fill the void.

Breakout was still good, though.  ;)

Oh, and welcome to BZPower!  :br:

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, it would've been awesome to have a contest to fill the void.

Thanks!:D

• Upvote 1

I really liked HF but with the small parts count (2.0/1.0) that I had for most of the sets it really didn't appeal to me so after 2.0 I stopped buying the sets and focused on buying BIONICLE online. Overall HF was okay.

• Upvote 1

TEEN TITANS Truth,Justice,andPizza!

• 4 weeks later...

Hero Factory was actually... kinda okay.

It's a known fact that the story isn't good, but it really isn't supposed to be. In a world of Ninjagos and Chimas, Hero Factory isn't much different, and I really don't expect it to be. I only picked up the sets for MOCing, and trust me, there are some good pieces. Hero Factory had a very wide range of colours, some being yellow and purple. Seriously, it is very hard to get purple in constraction sets, and I'm glad Voltix has those parts I need. 

I really agree with this! I think that they should've expanded upon the character lineup or even tried some new teams. What about if Rocka became so good that he became the leader of a brand new team or something unique like that?

I never really followed the story, but I did buy a good amount of the sets for some really sweet parts to MoC with and I'm glad I did. But seeing more characters would've made my day.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I'm probably not the best person to give Hero Factory an eulogy, it came at an unfortunate time after I lost interest in LEGO and before I regained my interest, but I think it had a good concept. Bionicle was too story-driven to allow much creativity, and all the other constraction lines were brief tie-ins that left as soon as they came, little more than flash in the pans. Hero Factory however was much more open-ended, so that you could create your own characters and events and seamlessly insert them into the same universe. I do think it may have been too vague however, which honestly may have been it's downfall. There was little to use as a stepping stone, and the ideas didn't last long enough to be refined. If it had existed alongside Bionicle, I feel it may have been better off, as maybe then the ideas attempted could have been improved, without the line being constantly mocked just because of the line it happened to replace.

May Hero Factory be remembered for it's good ideas, and may those ideas that had potential be used again in the future.

Edited by Neo ShadowVezon
  • Upvote 3

xoTlRfR.png

Banner by jed1ndy

"Master of Shadows and Game-running Compliants, Ǝɹsɐʇz Ԁᴉɹɐʞɐ ᴉu qlɐɔʞ' No˙ 999, Vezon of the Twighlight"