Bionicle 2015 too rushed?

Fry

This fairly well echoes my thoughts. I mean, we're not even one month into it officially being started, and the Toa have arrived, know what they're doing, are killing bad guys, and far on their way (or far past, depending which episodes you saw, and when) to getting their golden masks.

• Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I don't think it's really been that rushed. That is, if you didn't watch the webisodes that weren't supposed to go public on Lego's Youtube channel so early. I would have liked for some more episodes during the journeys to the golden masks, but I'm glad that they at least didn't drag it on.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I understand that this story is aimed more towards little kids, but are these webisodes all that we will get for another half year?

Yep.

The episodes were unintentionally shared many months before you or I were supposed to see them. That's why spoilers aren't fun! They leave you bored for months.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 2

All the episodes being released in the first month of the new year is saddening IMO. Unless some new material comes out between now and the summer wave, we basically know all of the storyline we're going to get for the next few months. 

As for the episodes themselves, I would've liked to have seen a couple more episodes than just nine. That way, some of them could've focused on the other Toa and their Protecters getting their Golden Masks instead of just seeing clips of their journeys to said masks and the Toa's success in obtaining them. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Yeah, I'd say it is being unintentionally rushed, but it was never meant to. 

As said before, there will be books, as well as more episodes of the animations to conclude the year. Things have just been accidentally released a little too early. 

Who knows, we may get more than just the books and animations. :)

• Upvote 1

I don't mind that it's a bit rushed, because they're just off to the races, starting with a bang. They can take it slow in the future, but this is basically the grand opening, the big release. They're getting as much publicity and content as they can out there to make Bionicle known and show off what it has to offer. You have to remember that not everyone is a longtime fan who knows what to expect and is familiar with what LEGO is capable of doing with this line. They've gotta establish their characters and themes as a priority. Unfortunately, the episodes did come out way too quickly and the books are coming out way too late in the year. Hopefully, they've got something else up their sleeves to carry us over 'till Summer.

• Upvote 2

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

As said before, there will be books, as well as more episodes of the animations to conclude the year. Things have just been accidentally released a little too early. 

It is obvious that the storyline is not the main priority of Lego. On that note, neither was the 2001 storyline the main priority of Lego as that will, then and now, always be money. A simple glance at BZPower is proof of my next point; the members of this site have been so starved of Bionicle in the past 5 years that they will buy the sets regardless of personal (negative) feelings towards them. At the end, Lego still wins; in fact they make more seeing as how they spend less on story related media.

• Upvote 1

A simple glance at BZPower is proof of my next point; the members of this site have been so starved of Bionicle in the past 5 years that they will buy the sets regardless of personal (negative) feelings towards them.

That's not true at all. Some people will buy new BIONICLE sets on principle, but they are hardly the majority. Most BIONICLE fans are going to give the sets an honest look and decide if they think they're worth buying, same as ever. Besides, the new BIONICLE theme will only succeed if it can create new fans. Money from old-school, die-hard fans like us have to offer is a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of kids the theme will have to attract to ensure its lasting success.

Now, as for whether the story is being rushed, I'd say it is not. Aside from leaks, we're still officially only four episodes in and the Toa have not even met one another. A lot of people seem to think the Toa getting their golden masks already means the story is proceeding at a breakneck pace, but the golden masks simply do not mean the same thing in the new story as they did in generation one. They are not the Toa's penultimate objective, but rather, the Toa's first objective.

If it's any help, look at it this way: at the end of the first BIONICLE comic, Kopaka had already had his quest explained to him by the leader of his village, acquired his first new mask, befriended one of his fellow Toa, and encountered the other four Toa. By the end of Episode 4, Tahu has only achieved two of those four milestones.

• Upvote 9

It is obvious that the storyline is not the main priority of Lego. On that note, neither was the 2001 storyline the main priority of Lego as that will, then and now, always be money. A simple glance at BZPower is proof of my next point; the members of this site have been so starved of Bionicle in the past 5 years that they will buy the sets regardless of personal (negative) feelings towards them. At the end, Lego still wins; in fact they make more seeing as how they spend less on story related media.

That is very true, but I was just saying that we might get more story related stuff because we're still in January and there is plenty of time left before we move onto next year, despite stuff being leaked.

And when hasn't the storyline not been the main priority. It is obvious each year that it isn't. ;)

Also, I'm pretty sure there are BZPower members who've seen the sets, and not liked them and not bought any of them. Not all of us here have been starved, I being one of those people who haven't and I think the sets are wonderful. :)

Edited by Rooster Nui
  • Upvote 1

If it's any help, look at it this way: at the end of the first BIONICLE comic, Kopaka had already had his quest explained to him by the leader of his village, acquired his first new mask, befriended one of his fellow Toa, and encountered the other four Toa. By the end of Episode 4, Tahu has only achieved two of those four milestones.

It's worth remembering there were only three comics in the first year, so they had to fit in as much as possible into each, particularly the first one as that had to win people's attention, whereas the following ones only had to maintain that.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1

If it's any help, look at it this way: at the end of the first BIONICLE comic, Kopaka had already had his quest explained to him by the leader of his village, acquired his first new mask, befriended one of his fellow Toa, and encountered the other four Toa. By the end of Episode 4, Tahu has only achieved two of those four milestones.

The comic was released in June of 2001. The Bionicle website, MNOG, and Lego's publicity campaign were already six months old. We have not even finished the first month of the 2015 year. I understand that episodes 5-9 were leaked by mistake, but the point is; nine 90 second episodes are a bit little considering that they are intended to fill half a year. In the time that it takes to watch the entire series, you would have just finished talking to Vakama in the MNOG.

I see the idea of taking it slowly at the beginning, and then entering your (to quote LOKorra) end game and finishing with a big bang, but with everything that Lego has done with Bionicle so far, I have the nagging words 'That's it?' bounding inside my head.

• Upvote 3

I don't feel it's been rushed, but I think the webisodes really aren't enough... not that they haven't accomplished enough in them, just that the episodes aren't long enough. I mean I kind of doubt we are going to have more than 30 this year, & it feels like it'd need more than that based on there lengths of episodes we've seen so far...

I look forward to Novels. Generally I feel that it could do with more story telling or dare I say "padding". Although I suppose the Smartphone Game does seem to be padded out somewhat to get pieces without doing anything :P Good use of time when i'm on the train & tired of reading.

& frankly, if the Golden Masks were made out to be as big a thing as they were in G1, I would be ticked off that they had included them in the Wave 1 sets rather than just place them in with the wave 2 sets, but meh.

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I think people are misinterpreting what he's saying. He's not saying he's upset the webisodes are progressing too fast, he's saying he thinks its being rushed since ALL we're seemingly getting is these micro 90 second shorts and possibly a book in December. That's quite a step down in terms of story, even compared to Hero Factory.

Edited by hiddenderek
  • Upvote 1

Again, the issue is that the rest of the webisodes were leaked...but yeah, it seems like they're rushing things a little bit.

Part of me wants to think that the rushing is intentional, like Lego has some sort of big plan and that the story will be fleshed out later...but part of me thinks that they don't have a plan (or at least , if they do, it boils down to saying "There, we did Bionicle again. Now shut up" once the reboot finishes up).

Edited by Boxorak the Azure Noob
  • Upvote 1

Statements (Mouseover to view): <1> <2> <3> <4> <5> <6> <7><8> <9>

My MOCs:
Characters- Makuta Dys Makuta Kamazotz Lord Vladek The Helmsmith Protector OCs Skull Whaler Skull Warden

Creatures- Verdelisk Lord of Skull Spiders BBC Contest #69: Kahu Oko Taku

Given it's still January, I think there is plenty more to come. Story-wise it does seem a little rushed in comparison to gen 1 but like someone said before this is a different story where the gold masks aren't the important part, just the first task. In gen 1 the Toa had to find 5 other masks each before getting the gold mask while in gen 2 they only have to find 1 mask each. In terms of content, I really hope we get more over the course of the year in terms of promo videos, online games, pictures, online comics(hopefully physical copies), interactive things, music, music videos etc. I really really wish we got comic books again as that was a huge highlight for me in gen 1. I was always excited to get a new club magazine for the Bionicle comic book and it did a great job of tiding one over and fleshing out the story. The books were also great for that and I am glad we are at least getting a few books, although those won't come out until the end of the year.  :dontgetit:

• Upvote 1

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

9 x 90s = 810s. 810/60 = 13.5 minutes. That's not counting the Legend video - if I throw that in, I'm up to 900/60 = 15 minutes.

Consider how long the HF Invasion From Below was. 14: 30 or something like that IIRC. Saying that Bionicle 2015 has less story than HF is a misnomer. But I'm still disappointed - I wanted MORE story than HF. Oh well. I hope they pick it up. 

• Upvote 1

9 x 90s = 810s. 810/60 = 13.5 minutes. That's not counting the Legend video - if I throw that in, I'm up to 900/60 = 15 minutes.

Consider how long the HF Invasion From Below was. 14: 30 or something like that IIRC. Saying that Bionicle 2015 has less story than HF is a misnomer. But I'm still disappointed - I wanted MORE story than HF. Oh well. I hope they pick it up. 

Invasion from Below was a full-length episode. It was certainly longer than these 9/10 shorts. And certainly had more things happening, although whether that means it had more story is a bit of a different subject.

It might be more reasonable to compare the story for the first half year of the reboot with the story for the first half-year of Hero Factory...but that only makes Bionicle look worse here.

I was definitely disappointed with the way the shorts were handled, personally. Though more with the fact that they're shorts, rather than what went on in them. I don't know if rushed is the right word. There was just too little content. Even if it had been released at more reasonable intervals I'd still feel unsatisfied.

• Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

Invasion from Below was almost 23 minutes long. The new Bionicle has tried to cover the history of Okoto, a long fetch quest, the mystery of the ancient city, the Toa's meeting, and the battle with LOSS in a little over half the time HF blundered its way through many simpler stories, and even HF struggled with similar pacing issues with almost twice the time.

We have a considerable amount of story, but the issue is how quickly it's being thrown at us. The short episodes try to cover a ton of ground but each episode is over before you even know what's happening. This isn't helped by having five episodes almost entirely dedicated to Tahu, while the other Toa got, at most, three episodes to shine. None of this is getting quite the depth it should because they simply don't have time to go in depth. We have no history on skull spiders, no history on who the protectors and villagers are outside of being protectors and villagers, very little impactful character development, and overall Okoto still feels like a bunch of pretty backgrounds that scarcely look related. I was so excited by the style, and the music, and all of the cool story stuff they were setting up, but it's all happened too fast. It just feels like they didn't give it nearly the resources it needed to successfully show off the story.

• Upvote 5

Invasion from Below was a full-length episode. It was certainly longer than these 9/10 shorts. And certainly had more things happening, although whether that means it had more story is a bit of a different subject.

It might be more reasonable to compare the story for the first half year of the reboot with the story for the first half-year of Hero Factory...but that only makes Bionicle look worse here.

Even if IFB was longer than that, it was one episode for a whole year, whereas the 15 is only for a half-year. 

Still, it's just no good. After 3 years of lukewarm HF sales, you'd have thought they would have learned their lesson about actually doing stories for their action figures. 

• Upvote 1

Invasion from Below was almost 23 minutes long. The new Bionicle has tried to cover the history of Okoto, a long fetch quest, the mystery of the ancient city, the Toa's meeting, and the battle with LOSS in a little over half the time HF blundered its way through many simpler stories, and even HF struggled with similar pacing issues with almost twice the time.

We have a considerable amount of story, but the issue is how quickly it's being thrown at us. The short episodes try to cover a ton of ground but each episode is over before you even know what's happening. This isn't helped by having five episodes almost entirely dedicated to Tahu, while the other Toa got, at most, three episodes to shine. None of this is getting quite the depth it should because they simply don't have time to go in depth. We have no history on skull spiders, no history on who the protectors and villagers are outside of being protectors and villagers, very little impactful character development, and overall Okoto still feels like a bunch of pretty backgrounds that scarcely look related. I was so excited by the style, and the music, and all of the cool story stuff they were setting up, but it's all happened too fast. It just feels like they didn't give it nearly the resources it needed to successfully show off the story.

I feel like with the Bionicle story its like getting hit with a brick then coping getting hit with a brick then in a month, when you've cooled down, you get hit with another, again and again.

cringe

I feel a really weird disconnect in how Bionicle was first presented and what we're actually getting, honestly. Lego started promoting Bionicle with teasers and much fanfare, got formally announced in this big grand manner in NYCC with a bunch of cool stuff, they make a whole eight gold masks for promotions, hold this big multi-site building contest, and really make the reboot feel like this huge thing that was going to be big for Lego in 2015.

But then at toy fairs apparently Bionicle is being described as a low priority, low-budget theme. (especially when asked about the possibility of a show, if I recall correctly) And going off how little budget they apparently got for its story media, this seems correct. It just feels really weird seeing so much promotion and fanfare result in so little. I mean, after Chima ended up not being as successful as Lego wanted it to be, I can see why they wouldn't throw themselves all the way into a full length series right off the bat again--but there's approaching things more cautiously, and then there's going too far in the opposite direction. We got the latter.

The shortness of the episodes just doesn't allow sensible pacing and story progression. We're still getting a story, by necessity, but it doesn't feel nearly as strong as it could because the setting and the characters don't get developed properly, because the story takes up most of the time they have. Because. There is so little of it.

Edited by farmstink buttlass
  • Upvote 3

AXKP5KC.png

I feel a really weird disconnect in how Bionicle was first presented and what we're actually getting, honestly. Lego started promoting Bionicle with teasers and much fanfare, got formally announced in this big grand manner in NYCC with a bunch of cool stuff, they make a whole eight gold masks for promotions, hold this big multi-site building contest, and really make the reboot feel like this huge thing that was going to be big for Lego in 2015.

But then at toy fairs apparently Bionicle is being described as a low priority, low-budget theme. (especially when asked about the possibility of a show, if I recall correctly) And going off how little budget they apparently got for its story media, this seems correct. It just feels really weird seeing so much promotion and fanfare result in so little. I mean, after Chima ended up not being as successful as Lego wanted it to be, I can see why they wouldn't throw themselves all the way into a full length series right off the bat again--but there's approaching things more cautiously, and then there's going too far in the opposite direction. We got the latter.

The shortness of the episodes just doesn't allow sensible pacing and story progression. We're still getting a story, by necessity, but it doesn't feel nearly as strong as it could because the setting and the characters don't get developed properly, because the story takes up most of the time they have. Because. There is so little of it.

Yeah. At NYCC I feel like Lego was all like "OMG BIONICLEZ ITYS BAK!!!!" But now at  Toy Fair it's like, "yeah theres bionicle lets move on" But I think it's because of the Chima fall.

cringe

This guy gets it. In the end, it's all about the cash. Its obvious, really. Take Destiny for example: Bungie/Activision hyped it up to be the most awe-inspiring game of this console generation and it ended up being a mediocre game at best.

I wouldn't blame Lego for taking this kind of approach--HF sales were dropping pretty fast, which left some people with a sour taste in their mouth. So they're pulling out all the hype-stops on Bionicle's return, hoping to make bank quickly and draw in as many peeps as possible.

Edited by Chasm
  • Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

This guy gets it. In the end, it's all about the cash. Its obvious, really. Take Destiny for example: Bungie/Activision hyped it up to be the most awe-inspiring game of this console generation and it ended up being a mediocre game at best.

I wouldn't blame Lego for taking this kind of approach--HF sales were dropping pretty fast, which left some people with a sour taste in their mouth. So they're pulling out all the hype-stops on Bionicle's return, hoping to make bank quickly and draw in as many peeps as possible.

Destiny was far from mediocre. This game has a 4/5 on Metacritic and is played by millions of users all across America. I don't play it  myself but I would if I could afford the internet bills.

Anyway, back to Bionicle. I really do wish everything was taken more slowly and we had some complexity to the plot. It's not even the first month and the Toa already have their golden masks? The fears I had of this being a simplified story seem to be coming true...

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Anyway, back to Bionicle. I really do wish everything was taken more slowly and we had some complexity to the plot. It's not even the first month and the Toa already have their golden masks? The fears I had of this being a simplified story seem to be coming true...

The thing is, the story isn't simplified. There's plenty of important detail there, and there are mysteries and histories and all kinds of things. It just never has the time to focus on any of that for more than one episode, if that.

Any illusion of the 2001 story being more complex probably comes from the Toa collecting six masks each (most of those being off-screen anyway) as opposed to one.

• Upvote 2

It is aimed to be more simple than the original storyline, but not completely simplified. The episodes were accidentally leaked, and they weren't probably meant to be released for another few months. 

Edited by Rooster Nui

The thing is, the story isn't simplified. There's plenty of important detail there, and there are mysteries and histories and all kinds of things. It just never has the time to focus on any of that for more than one episode, if that.

Any illusion of the 2001 story being more complex probably comes from the Toa collecting six masks each (most of those being off-screen anyway) as opposed to one.

Oh, but it is. Even the comics are all generic. We KNOW they have to get their golden masks now show us something ELSE,What's the LOSS? How did he gain control of all the other spiders? WHY is there a gold skull spider mask if it hasn't been seen in the animations?

• Upvote 1

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Oh, but it is. Even the comics are all generic. We KNOW they have to get their golden masks now show us something ELSE,What's the LOSS? How did he gain control of all the other spiders? WHY is there a gold skull spider mask if it hasn't been seen in the animations?

The gold skull spider mask is probably more of a business necessity than a storyline requirement; if all the large sets but one come with a golden mask, guess which one is going to sell the worst.

(A similar reason is behind why a lot of media focuses on obtaining their Golden Masks; that's the conflict of the sets they're selling, so they're going to want to show that off so kids want the set. Simple business. It's not a matter of "simplifying" the story so much as advertising the sets.)

I'm assuming LOSS is the, well, Lord of the Skull Spiders. Kind of a self-explanatory name. They didn't go into anything like an origin because there wasn't time (which was my point). The Toa grabbed their golden masks, met up, fought the Lord of Skull Spiders, and are now entering the ancient city. In terms of Bionicle G1's story, that's pretty much the Toa grabbing all 36 of their masks, heading to the Kini Nui, receiving their Golden Masks there, and entering Mangaia. Not really seeing a large gap of complexity besides number of masks, which is arbitrary. Your arguments for it being simplified seem to be based in what you want from the story more than an actual comparison between G1 and G2.

The issue is not a simplified story, it's a fully-wrought story with an insufficient amount of time in which to be told.

(Plus there's another half a year to answer your questions, though given the pacing issues of these animations I doubt they'll have the time to then, either.)

• Upvote 3

Not to be offensive, but the answer seems pretty clear. Villain origins and things of that sort are all going to be revealed in the summer wave, because let's face it, in Bionicle the story only gets real in the summer wave.