Bionicle 2015 Picture from Nuremberg

I want to see sets like the Piraka or the Rahkshi again.

Right, the Shadow the Hedgehog-level edgy humanoid gangsters were the antithesis of generic.

Okay, the sarcasm is a little unnecessary. I still stand by my point, your opinion on the Piraka does not change my mind. Would the Bohrok be a better example to use?

Bionicle for 2015.

I want to see sets like the Piraka or the Rahkshi again.

Right, the Shadow the Hedgehog-level edgy humanoid gangsters were the antithesis of generic.

Okay, the sarcasm is a little unnecessary. I still stand by my point, your opinion on the Piraka does not change my mind. Would the Bohrok be a better example to use?

Yes, I can say completely unironically that the Bohrok are a hundred thousand times less generic than the Piraka.

• Upvote 2

the new sets look really cool, especially Ekimu. I didn't realize he'd be so small though.

:m_p:  :i:  :s:  :h:  Kopaka.png  :i:  :s:  :s:  :e:  :l:

"INTJ PROUD;" 80788-81311-MI

The guy behind "Ekimu"? I'm guessing either "Bone Lord" or Mask of Ultimate Power Makuta.

(Yes, Bone Lord is a guess name. It's obvious.)

His name is "Skull Grinder." It's possible that he is MoUP Makuta though, since we know nothing about him.

Well, we know he doesn't wear Mask of Ultimate Power, so I doubt that's the case. And since Makuta has been described as the Mask Hoarder in other places, I doubt a set with him would only call him Bone Grinder.

AXKP5KC.png

The guy behind "Ekimu"? I'm guessing either "Bone Lord" or Mask of Ultimate Power Makuta.

(Yes, Bone Lord is a guess name. It's obvious.)

His name is "Skull Grinder." It's possible that he is MoUP Makuta though, since we know nothing about him.

Well, we know he doesn't wear Mask of Ultimate Power, so I doubt that's the case. And since Makuta has been described as the Mask Hoarder in other places, I doubt a set with him would only call him Bone Grinder.

Oh I agree that he's almost certainly not Makuta, but it's a common theory so I was just mentioning that it isn't impossible.

IetTsFQ.png

Skull Grinder is Makuta's body infected with a Skull Parasite.

Calling it now.

(And no, I don't actually know this. Just a theory.)

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I'm not sold on the skeletal look, but it's hard to judge from this picture. I'm liking the four-armed green villain, though, which is good, because he's the one I would have had to get no matter what, for the infected Miru.

And I'm calling it right now: It's going to be up to Gali and Tahu to save the rest of the team when they get infected, and then, after they rescue Onua first, he'll be the one to rescue Lewa.

Vale, Nuile :smilemirunu:

• Upvote 1

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Here's my theory on these sets:

The toa enter the ancient city, but skull grinder climbs out of the ground and starts attacking. Kopaka, Lewa, Pohatu and Onua stay to fight, while Tahu and Gali rush to ekimu's grave to awaken him. When they return with Ekimu, all that is left of the toa are four, glowing masks, and skull grinder now has an army. He has found the mask of creation deep within the jungles of okoto, and used it to create new forms for the other toa. Tahu and gali must defeat each villain, and return their mask to regain an ally, while Ekimu goes to face skull grinder at the mask forge. One by one, the toa are returned to normal, and the skull army is weakened. The toa then come to Ekimu's aid, and together defeat the skull grinder and return the mask of creation to its owner.

That would be a good idea for anything except a toy-based story. Kids aren't going to want their snazzy new hero removed from the story and replaced with a villain; they'll want them to fight.

My own theory is this:

These villains (with the possible exception of Skull Grinder) are fallen Toa from long ago, reanimated as guardians or shock troops. To be put to rest again, they need to don masks of their elements. Their boss (either SG or Makuta himself) points them at the Toa, who must fight them off the villains' attempts to unmask them while racing not only to wake Ekimu, but to find the fallen heroes' masks and return them to the grave.

Taking the story in this direction would have two obvious benefits. First, it gives the villains built-in pathos as heroes fallen from grace. Second, it imparts the revelation that there are other Toa out there, plus the ominous subtext that, for all their snazzy upgraded powers, our current heroes could still end up just like the unfortunate forbears they're fighting.

TLDR: We got zombie Toa, and they want masks. (Brains are so last year, anyway.)

Any thoughts?

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Here's my theory on these sets:

The toa enter the ancient city, but skull grinder climbs out of the ground and starts attacking. Kopaka, Lewa, Pohatu and Onua stay to fight, while Tahu and Gali rush to ekimu's grave to awaken him. When they return with Ekimu, all that is left of the toa are four, glowing masks, and skull grinder now has an army. He has found the mask of creation deep within the jungles of okoto, and used it to create new forms for the other toa. Tahu and gali must defeat each villain, and return their mask to regain an ally, while Ekimu goes to face skull grinder at the mask forge. One by one, the toa are returned to normal, and the skull army is weakened. The toa then come to Ekimu's aid, and together defeat the skull grinder and return the mask of creation to its owner.

That would be a good idea for anything except a toy-based story. Kids aren't going to want their snazzy new hero removed from the story and replaced with a villain; they'll want them to fight.

My own theory is this:

These villains (with the possible exception of Skull Grinder) are fallen Toa from long ago, reanimated as guardians or shock troops. To be put to rest again, they need to don masks of their elements. Their boss (either SG or Makuta himself) points them at the Toa, who must fight them off the villains' attempts to unmask them while racing not only to wake Ekimu, but to find the fallen heroes' masks and return them to the grave.

Taking the story in this direction would have two obvious benefits. First, it gives the villains built-in pathos as heroes fallen from grace. Second, it imparts the revelation that there are other Toa out there, plus the ominous subtext that, for all their snazzy upgraded powers, our current heroes could still end up just like the unfortunate forbears they're fighting.

TLDR: We got zombie Toa, and they want masks. (Brains are so last year, anyway.)

Any thoughts?

I suppose it could happen, but i really don't see Skull Scorpio as a former Toa or villager or anything.

AXKP5KC.png

..The reason for why 2007 was underwater was that the Ignika just up and flew away without any real explanation at the time. And there wasn't any real reason behind the flying theme, honestly.

Anyway, I agree to some extent that zombies are kind of a generic enemy, but these sets aren't honestly that zombie-ish. There's a difference between being a skeleton and a zombie, and really these have varied enough designs that I wouldn't really refer to them as generic in any case. 

I strongly agree with this first point. The story of Bionicle was always interspersed with random events with led handily onto the next major story arc. Masks flying about, a sudden mass eodus of Metru Nui, island being created from nowhere. It's almost as if the stories themselves aren't related at all sometimes but the writers needed to connect them somehow so just kind of made it work with the bare minimum of logic, reason or explanation!

Back to the discussion proper thouhg, I see literally no aspect of the summer sets that makes me think of zombies. Not even one bit... Even if those masks ARE infected, I don't expect them to turn the Toa into mindless walkers. We saw infected masks in the original Quest for the masks and then another variant when Tahu was poisoned by the Rahkshi. Neither are anything like zombie infections and I see no reason to assume the 2015 summer wave will be either. After all these sets have a 'skull' prefix, that doesn't say zombie to me...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

....What's with the half-translucent Toa masks anyway? That doesn't make any sense. Probably just placeholders, because as it is right now there's no translucent-gold mask for Tahu and Gali. Totally placeholder, we'll probably get something different

Pretty sure they don't send sets out to toy fairs with placeholder parts. And I'm even more certain TLG wouldn't go to all the extra effort of molding two-colour masks as placeholders! I'm not a huge fan of some of these new sets but for the most part I think they look pretty good. Interesting at least and we get the MoC + Ekimu too so it's definitely exciting. But yeah, none of what you're looking at will be changed, you have months to get used to it though :D

Sets at Toy Fairs actually DO sometimes have placeholder parts, but usually that's existing parts being used as placeholders for brand-new parts, not brand-new parts being used as placeholders for anything.

Ekimu is top. He is just awesome, and I love that they even still gave him a gear function. So the animation was right all along. Of course people are all hung up on having green eyes over blue (which is pretty much the only negative), but... eh, with the trans-blue mask I get why they changed it. Also his shield is awesome.

On all the skull guys: I love that the CCBS skeleton is in a color other than black. That's awesome. As for the bones... They do their job of being literally a bone perfectly. Stupendously. But it is definitely a little disappointing to see that they really will be useless for pretty much any other purpose. I also really, really don't understand the transparent orange plastered all over them. Why was it needed?

Skull Grinder does fit the bill of the skeletal warrior he's supposed to be, which is good. I really like the printing on his chest. He probably has the "old decayed warrior but still clad in armor he fell in" look down the best. So he doesn't look bad, but still not wowed by him. Those shoulders look especially awkward and out of place.

Skull Warrior: Well... if they're going to just reuse the same mask a lot, at least his is a different color. I like the idea of character with a longbow and really think it was pulled off well. But that is kind of the only thing really drawing me too him.

Skull Slicer I'm really disappointed is wearing a Skull Spider mask. Really disappointed. I also wish he had more variety in his weapons instead of three swords - would make him a little more interesting. He suffers the most from the bones, though, and really wish there was some more armor at least on his thighs or shins. I'm really interested in seeing how the gear function works for his four arms.

Basher is my favorite of the bunch. I love that he is a minotaur. However, his horns do look too awkwardly big because of how they are attached. Besides that, I like everything about the guy who's clearly the muscle of this group.

Lastly we have Skull Scorpio and... Ugh. Uuuuugh I don't like him. Where to start? The unarticulated legs or that... thing attached to his behind? That contraption just looks ridiculous and not in any sort of good way.

I also love those new versions of the Toa's masks. I would have absolutely preferred fully transparent ones (especially to complement the ones Tahu has), but what we're getting still look cool.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I'm a bit surprised by how much Ekimu varies from his animation appearance, seeing as the animation looked like it was based on something that had already been designed.

For one thing, his eyes look like they are the wrong colour.

The bigger question is why is his villager mask gold and trans light blue? In the animation, it looked like the blue was solid, and that would fit with how the regular villager masks are also solid colours.

In the animations, it looks like the blended trans colour is to show that the Protector masks grant elemental control, while the villager masks that don't grant elemental powers (including Ekimu's "death mask") are blended solid colours. I guess maybe LEGO just aren't able to blend two solid colours and get a good-looking mask...?

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I'm a bit surprised by how much Ekimu varies from his animation appearance, seeing as the animation looked like it was based on something that had already been designed.

For one thing, his eyes look like they are the wrong colour.

The bigger question is why is his villager mask gold and trans light blue? In the animation, it looked like the blue was solid, and that would fit with how the regular villager masks are also solid colours.

In the animations, it looks like the blended trans colour is to show that the Protector masks grant elemental control, while the villager masks that don't grant elemental powers (including Ekimu's "death mask") are blended solid colours. I guess maybe LEGO just aren't able to blend two solid colours and get a good-looking mask...?

All of the blended Protector masks look more solid in the animations than in real life. I was fully expecting Ekimu's color scheme to use Tr. Light Blue rather than any opaque color, and the model does not disappoint in that respect.

My theory: These new appearances is the outcome of what happens to a Toa/Master when attacked by a skull spider, possibly the spider's shape fuses to the mask, creating a skull-like appearance, and the legs melt into a liquid-shadow and are absorbed into the body, thence infecting the rest of said Toa. If you can remove the masks then the legs will snap off or wither like dark ribbons that have been loosened; and the good guy is A-Okay again.

On the subject of 2007-08, there was an in-story reason for going into the water, I am sorry if story details were not revealed immediately (like as was planned, mysteries and what-not), and the flying aspect was that this was a majorly empty cavity of titanic proportions, aside from a few giant fallen rocks (and remember the swamp? You know, home to bacteria and flies? Yeah, so do I. That was nice 'n' cool.  The entire year didn't take place in the air).

EDIT: Typo fixing.

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light