How did you acquire your Tohunga sets?

Rooster Nui

So, I've started this topic for both myself and others on BZPower to discuss how they got their Tohunga sets.

Normally Bionicle sets couldn't be purchased at McDonald's, but as many of you know, the 2001 Matoran sets which were initially known as Tohunga in 2001 and still are by some people today, could've been purchased at McDonald's. These sets are based on the characters Jaller, Macku, Onepu, Hewkii, Kongu, Matoro and Hafu (which can be included because of being released while known as a Tohunga).

However, not everyone may have gotten these at McDonald's and may have gotten them elsewhere, such as a garage sale, Ebay or Bricklink.

I got my first Tohunga, Matoro, from a McDonald's which was in walking distance from the field that my older brother played soccor on. Myself, my brother and my sister each got one Matoro polybag. That was the day that I not only got my first Bionicle set, but also my first Lego set ever.

The only other Tohunga I've gotten is Hafu with the Power Pack via Bricklink about three or four years ago. 

So, if you want to, share your experience/s and discuss below.

• Upvote 1

The first Tohunga I got was Nuparu who came with the Boxor. Since I live in Germany there was no way for me to get the McDonald's Tohunga at the time. I always wanted them though but never really got a chance to have one. Until I saw a Tohunga Kongu on eBay Germany in around 2009 and bought him. A few months later Jala popped up on eBay too and I got two of him, so I could use my parts to build Takua. 

Then last year I decided to finally order a full set from Lithuania for around 40 bucks. 

Hail Denmark

I got Onepu from the original promotion, but I couldn't convince my parents to take me to McDonalds for another one after that. Luckily my mother is a frequenter of second hand stores and by checking out the toy sections in those I had amassed a fair collection of Tohunga parts by 2003. I held on to those for years before ordering the rest of the necessary parts from Bricklink - as well as the parts to build a lot of other Tohunga.

Edited by Pereki

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

This is an interesting topic. I actually bricklinked the majority of my own set but could never find JAla's red arms! Recently I scored a whole duplicate set off a big Italian listing on ebay. They were missing a few bits (and are now missing Jala's red arms too!!!) but I now have two sets :)

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I got Macku's body + Gali Mata's Kaukau from an unofficial Lego-selling store called "Minifigs Bricks and More". The parts were in this huge table filled with random Lego parts. I bought a whole ziploc-bagfull of mostly Constraction-related parts, and built Hahli's 2001-2002 form, which technically isn't an actual set but there weren't any Hunas so yeah. I later added one of those System 3-flower parts + 2 of the flowers, stuck it into one of the gaps on the top of her head, and made her look like her appearance at the end of the 2002 Bohrok Animations.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I got a few from McDonalds (I remember buying a bunch of Happy Meals because I really wanted Onepu), but in like 2005 I gave my Bionicle collection to a friend. A few years later a family friend gave me his old collection, and that included Huki, Maku, and Kongu. I still have Huki and Maku, but I sold Kongu when I lost interest in Bionicle.

I've still never owned Onepu. :(

IetTsFQ.png

I saw Macku at a friend's house once. I took it.

It's not the most appropriate action but hey, at least you got a set out of it. Still, don't do that, it's not very nice.

I'll ask McDonalds on Twitter if they have some Mctoran saved somewhere...

I'm not so sure if they'll have a direct response to that. I'd be surprised if they do.

My first (and onlly) was Kongu. got him on Ebay a few months back. Nifty little thing he is.

Yes, I'd say they are indeed nifty and cool. However, they've gone from cheap to expensive, but I guess they're now easier to find on the internet.

I remember getting tons from McDonalds, but sadly over the years none of them besides Maku made it... (And even lost an arm) before I started trying to collect them again sometime during the 2009 era, and I got all 6 originals and Hafu then from EBay. But now I can get even more from piece bins and secondhand Lego retailers, and I've now massed up an entire army of Tohunga!

a very lucky christmas when i was 5 XD i can only assume it was eBay or mcdonalds...Or burger king...i just realised i don't know where they were given out XD

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

Got Nuparu with the Boxor in 2002. After I got Hewkii & Macku in their '03 forms, I traded parts with a friend for the beige torso & arms and the same for light blue. Somehow acquired Jala sans head and mask, can't for the life of me remember how. Bought the PowerPack off Bricklink in 2005, bought Kongu on eBay in 2006. Last fall I bought a bunch of masks from BZP member Reya and have finally completed Jala.

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

• 3 weeks later...

I can honestly say that the Tohunga sets never became available round where I live, so i never knew about them till a few years ago.

I guess they are relativly rare now arnt they? Online i mean.

Well, they aren't too rare, but it's really hard to find them sealed for a price below $8 USD. That's the main reason I haven't gotten any of the other ones.

Got em all from Mcdonalds. I even remember the commercial.

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

I don't even know if I have a full one, I live in the UK so it was impossible to get one at a Mcdonalds, years ago my father bought a giant box of loose bionicle parts from a couple years prior (and I think I got that box in 2004), in said box there are what I believe to be parts of the tohunga, so I kinda own one (maybe two). 

It's time to move on.

Easy enough, at one point i was on a vacation in with my family(cant remember what country it was in but most likely somewhere denmark but not legoland) and there was a limited quantity of tohunga giveaways but they only had Maku left. Years earlier i already owned the powerpack.

1,5 years later before 2006 came along i got the rest of the 5 tohunga sets for christmas including for christmas(my aunt had spotted them for cheap at a store for ISKR to USD equivalent of 4,99$ each) along with a pair of jeans.

Later i brokered a trade with Bzpower Flintsmith who had a interest in misprint masks(i had a much older account back then) if i remember and traded my tohunga(including powerpack hafu) and a few misprint masks in exchange for jaller and matoro inika who weren't available in my country yet.

qs3135.jpg

Onepu from some random toy store in France in 2004 which was the greatest thing ever.

I wonder how that ended up there at that time?

I can honestly say that the Tohunga sets never became available round where I live, so i never knew about them till a few years ago.

I guess they are relativly rare now arnt they? Online i mean.

They're rare online or off. These sets were only available for (at most) two months in one continent.

Nuparu from the Boxor like most people, and at least three Kongu from McD's back in the day haha

I'm planning on buying Matoro soon, though, I need to have the precious for my shrine

Plus I'm going to buy some spare parts to create my own self-MOC Tohunga :P

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I remember seeing the Mctoran one time going to Mcdonalds. Me and a couple of my siblings were very disappointed that we Never got them then. Some manye years later (Not really sure when. 2008ish?) I ordered Onepu and the Boxor off of Bricklink. have since bought many more Onu-Matoran parts, and have gotten a couple Ga Matoran parts, too.

My Flickr. Old Bionicles on Brickshelf

small_logo.png

Back in 2007, I started my annual purchasing of classic sets off of ebay/bricklink.  In 2009 (I think), I got all six original McDonalds Tohunga SEALED off of eBay! :D :D :D  I still love those sets. :)  I wish McDonalds would do something similar with the villagers this year. ;) ^_^ (Or maybe LEGO could release villagers with the first wave of 2016? ^_^)

~Daler

I WISH I got them from McDonalds. I have several from a fiend but he never took care of his legos so there are pieces missing. But I get mine occasionally on ebay, and have a sealed Kongu on my desk at work.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell