LEGO Stops Design byME Service

Great, I have all these cool Halo models that I'll never be able to actually build :( PaB will make it too expensive. At least I'll be able to try HRT in the future, as that's the only HF related thing I like :P

Pick-A-Brick is actually waaaaaay cheaper than DesignByMe no matter -what- you're trying to buy. The DesignByMe price, from what I can tell, is calculated as the Pick-A-Brick price for the same pieces, plus about 25% more for each piece, plus a $10 flat rate for the whole package.As an example, I created a Nuva Cube on LDD using only 2,768 of the Erling brick/headlight brick (4070), which costs 25 cents on Pick-A-Brick. The total price via Pick-A-Brick was $692.00. Via Design byME, the total price was $868.08-- that's because the Design byME price of the Erling brick is 31 cents (25 cents times 1.25, rounded down), leading to a total cost of $858.08 for all the parts, plus the $10 Design byME surcharge.Overall, in terms of price, there should be no reason to be worried about Design byME going away. All it offered that Pick-A-Brick does not were the custom box and custom instruction booklet, the latter of which was prone to errors and could be auto-generated through LDD anyway.Ideally, of course, with Design byME going away, a great functionality for LDD would be to generate a parts list for you so that you can easily make a Pick-A-Brick purchase of the parts.EDIT: Additionally, you wouldn't have been able to purchase Halo models through Design byME anyway unless you could conceal what they are through generic names. The terms of service prohibit models based on designs by other companies. I'm not sure if moderation is truly as strict as the terms of service suggest that it is, but in any event if it was recognized as being from Halo then it would not (according to those terms) pass moderation. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Lego is going through some hard times. What did they do last time to fix it? Start Bionicle. What led to their downfall? Ending Bionicle.

This. U fail, LEGO, U fail.
Sorry, but this assumption is completely wrong. BIONICLE did not save LEGO, and LEGO is not going through hard times at all, rather much the opposite, as LEGO is currently experiencing the greatest growth of many years. BIONICLE was cancelled when its sales were decreasing in order to save the constraction theme before it went downhill. And in fact, HF is selling very well.~Gata. ;) Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Sigh... there goes a good service. I really enjoyed building online with expanded mode.

Edited by GeluNumber1

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

Sigh... there goes a good service. I really enjoyed building online with expanded mode.

Expanded mode isn't going away. LDD isn't ending, just Design byME (the service that allowed you to buy LDD models built using the more limited Design byME parts palette). There might be some effect on LDD since Design byME and LEGO Universe were some of the main ways the design team for LDD were funded, but everything we've heard from TLG suggests that LDD will still be available and should still get updates just as frequently.