Onua size discrepancy?

MitriX75

I've heard people say how LOSS is out of scale...but looking at the recently released (and removed) videos, I've noticed that Onua isn't exactly to the same scale as his set.

Any thoughts? What size do you prefer? Set? The animations?

Also I guess this'd be the topic to talk about any other scale issues with the sets and animations.

EDIT: added an album that shows the comparisons between set and animation

http://imgur.com/a/4Q9HT

Edited by MitriX75
  • Upvote 1

"It's got a great defense mechanism... you don't dare kill it..."

alien_isolation_6_0.jpg

Creative license? He's clearly more exaggerated in size, which fits in with the style of the animation. Same for LOSS, which is hulked up to be a much more obvious threat to the Toa. I think it's a good idea, as the sets couldn't realistically be that large without a large price increase.

~B~

• Upvote 4

What in the world?! I saw the leaked vids but don't remember seeing such a big Onua so maybe there was something else I missed! The Onua in that image looks absolutely ridiculous, at least 150% larger than the other 'titan' toa. Yeah he's bigger but he isn't a giant. Seriously, even his mask is huge in that pic. What have you DONE TLG????

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I'm personally fine with Onua and the Lord of Skull Spiders being larger in scale than their sets. It helps Onua standout even more and helps LOSS be even more of a threat to the Toa. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the summer sets are also going to be like this as well. I have no idea if they will be though.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Artistic license is a powerful thing, especially with such an exaggerated and expressive art style. The shot in question has him placed behind the rest of the Toa, so it only follows that he'd need to be made larger in order to be seen. I don't think it's anything to get worked up over.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Remember Axonn, the guy who was supposed to be roughly the hight of 3-4 inika builds?

Yeah, I'm okay with the size discrepencies. :P bionicle hasn't had a stellar history there in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

I'm perfectly fine with Onua being short in set form and being bigger in the animations. While he is bigger than he should be in the animations, I like it that way because it suits the cartoon style and also makes him look rather powerful like he is. 

I'm also happy with the size difference because his set height matches up with his original form when compared with his Toa allies, while still maintaining the big and heavy look in the animations.

Edited by Rooster Nui

Not having the sets myself I am a bit on the fence about this. There was a similar size issue in an episode of Beast Wars where the character Rhinox picks Dinobot, who in all media even the toy is taller, clean off the floor with his feet dangling. This seems illogical due to Rhinox while a much stronger physically, being he turns into a Rhino and is the Maximal's Enforcer and also scientist type. He is smaller height wise to everyone but his buddy Rattrap.

So in theory while the Animation as taken the liberty of displaying Onua as a larger Bodyguard type, it seems it is still possible that as the set is slightly shorter than the others but could still pull off the strong-arming of the two "children" as seen in the clip. That also being said, being that Onua is my Favorite Toa of old, and thus could say I like his larger stature in the animations better as such. This is not entirely accurate, though I don't hate the idea. Being larger and thus stronger go hand in hand, and such a larger stature should translate to greater physical strength. True show of strength however is when someone of smaller stature is able to do equal to greater feats of physical strength shows they are in fact stronger by comparison.

So I think that while cool Onua is the larger of the Toa in the Animation being my favorite, I think it does him an injustice for it as it plays off the "He is the strongest so must be the largest" cliché.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

So in theory while the Animation as taken the liberty of displaying Onua as a larger Bodyguard type, it seems it is still possible that as the set is slightly shorter than the others but could still pull off the strong-arming of the two "children" as seen in the clip. That also being said, being that Onua is my Favorite Toa of old, and thus could say I like his larger stature in the animations better as such. This is not entirely accurate, though I don't hate the idea. Being larger and thus stronger go hand in hand, and such a larger stature should translate to greater physical strength. True show of strength however is when someone of smaller stature is able to do equal to greater feats of physical strength shows they are in fact stronger by comparison.

While this is true, I think having Onua pick up the two tallest Toa to keep them from fighting would not work as well if his height in the sets were maintained, since he'd hardly be able to grab them by the tops of their heads to lift them up off the ground, holding them apart at enough distance that they could no longer fight each other. And picking them up by their waists or necks would probably end up looking too violent. So the scene in question might not work at all in that case, and might have to be rewritten.

That's not to say I'm happy with the discrepancy between Onua's animated and physical versions, but in the context of that scene it's completely understandable.

Well to be fair, The children were on the ground so Onua's height would not be as much of a problem as if they were both fighting while standing. As for being too violent...??? How would grabbing them by the waist or neck any more violent then grabbing their heads? Seemed quite violent if you ask me. Anyway while he may not have been able to lift them completely off the ground, separating them due to his wide shoulder and thus arm length could still get the desired effect.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I was getting pretty attached to the set version of Onua, where he's the shorter, stocky, super strong guy, but it definitely fits with his role as the "muscle" of the group to be huge in size as well as width.  When I see him in set form next to the other toa I always feel like his personality makes him seem to tower over them anyway. :P

The LOSS, though, we've got a lot less to go on, and his set form even more off than Onua's-- Onua at least has the proportions right, and still looks like a big guy.  LOSS, though, comes off as much less impressive, especially considering how big and threatening he's supposed to be in the animations!

8NHf8fu.png

Everything is some kind of a plot, man.

I like Ouna's size in the animations. It fits him very well, since he is a tough guy with a bulky body.

I also like LoSS's size in the animations. It makes him look bigger than the Toa, since main villains are meant to be that way when facing a team of heroes alone.:)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I'd agree with the size increase for the skull spider. I mean while the set may seem... what's the word? Smaller than it could have been... There have been other cases where released sets are depicted much larger in cinema due to what the set is suppose to represent. In the case with Onua vs the other Toa, he is a member of a similar sized team so has size reference for how big/small he should be. Where as the LoSS, is a creature in it's own right. It is not a pet or mount like the crab things from Gen1 nor is it some form of vehicle or fortress that is suppose to house other large set figures. So while due to parts size the LoSS is smaller than the Toa in cinema it can be seen as any size the animators want. Be it a tiny pest or a Monstrosity that is several times that of the protagonists.

• Upvote 1

Onua.png

Too Big how? Like for his set, the Toa team, or just in general(Hater :P). I don't think he is too big... Yeah maybe he could do with a size reduction if only slightly in the animations. Due to his hunched stature Onua was strong even without being the largest of the Toa... That should be how he is depicted.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

Onua.png

Yeah admittedly Them shoulders of his give him quite the girth. I can agree with you there. Must be where they get the Hulk-Toa Reverence from. Gali being female is likely shown thinner than the others too. That reminds me, I need to see about building my Onua set. He is still sealed in the box...

Onua.png