Right/Left Handedness of Characters?

So, this may seem very menial, but do any of you pay attention to which hand is the dominant one for characters/MOC's? Do any of you have a preference for certain characters/models using a certain hand dominantly?

I was just building a MOC and thought about which would be their sword hand. Usually it's my instinct to make it their right hand but then I realized I have no reason to not make it the left, and this got me thinking about hands.

• Upvote 1

It really depends on whether or not it's consistent for multiple iterations or depictions of the character. It usually isn't, so usually I don't care, but for a character who has only had one appearance, I might as well consider the hand they used their dominant hand if I have to make a decision for a MOC or artwork.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Being a leftie, I always thought it was odd how Tahu, lewa, and Kopaka were all seemingly right handed. Set wise, while there have been a few instances of characters with their main weapons in their left hands, a majority do seem to be righties. It doesn't bug me a whole lot, but every now and then I try to mix it up in my collection just for variety.

:music:

Edited by xccj

I posted a similar topic concerning the HF characters, and I agree, it is an interesting topic. Furno was mostly a leftie, Evo practically always a righty, and so on and so forth. Stringer was one of those who's weapon hand switched sides with every iteration, so it's hard to tell on him.

As for BIONICLE characters, it seems that they are often right-handed, as has been noted already. Sometimes they switch, or add an extra weapon.

I'll use Lewa as an example.

Lewa Mata was right-handed 

Lewa Nuva had both hands full, but the gear was on his right arm.

Lewa Phantoka was interesating, because the sword was now in his left hand. However, the skyblaster was in his right, which made sense, since he'd probably want to aim with his dominant hand, and use his sword as a last resort.

Gali usually had both hands full, so it's hard to say.

I could add more, but I think we'd have a massive list of right-handers, a more medium list of ambidextrous characters, and then a small list of lefties.

EDIT: For MOCs, I usually do right-handed figures, with only a few exceptions.

Edited by ~T1S~
  • Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I always thought Nuparu was ambidextrous, since his 2002 Matoran had two disk-throwing hands, while the others only had one.

As for my MOCs, I tend to think characters look better holding their weapons in their left hands, even though I'm a righty. I've tried to correct that recently, but it still looks a bit weird to have them holding their swords with their right hand.  

bZpOwEr

I, myself, am a lefty and I am not worried about which hand of a character is dominant. As said before, most Bionicle sets and characters tend to hold their weapons in their right hands, but I usually oversee this and go on with my day. 

I always follow the instructions of each set carefully and make sure that the weapons are in their respectivily shown hands in the instruction manuals, but there is one exception, and that is my "Gali Master of Water" set. I placed her Elemental Trident in her left hand because I am worried about her gears on her right side loosening up because of the weight of the weapon.

I like to make most of my MOCs with weapons lefties because I'm a leftie and there's a dearth of left-handed characters in the Bionicle universe.

Set-wise, most of the time, if one arm is going to be geared, it's the right one, because right-handers make up the majority. (The only exception this year is Skull Slicer, though considering he's got four arms and three of them are holding swords, judging his dominant hand is tricky.)

• Upvote 1

I generally don't pay much attention. While I'm functionally left-handed, I have a terrible time telling my left from my right without thinking about it, let alone the "mirror reverse". That circuit is just broke lol.

Easier just to think "one side" or "the other side". I just have an image of how the set/MoC is supposed to look, and set it up that way.  

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 2

I generally don't pay much attention. While I'm functionally left-handed, I have a terrible time telling my left from my right without thinking about it, let alone the "mirror reverse". (Unless I'm in a car, in which case I can rely on associative image memory...but if I'm approaching a right turn, I can hit the right signal, move the correct direction...but if you asked me, I could still tell you I'm going left. That circuit is just broke lol.)

Easier just to think "one side" or "the other side". I just have an image of how the set/MoC is supposed to look, and set it up that way.  

I'm exactly the same way with right and left. I've been told it might be linked to my synesthesia.

For the sake of being on topic, I'll add that my headcanon is that all MU inhabitants are ambidextrous. They're mechanoids, so why would handedness be built into them? It's not very practical.

• Upvote 5

I judged handedness by where characters were depicted holding their projectile weapons, if they had them. After all, if you had a melee weapon and a projectile weapon, you'd probably want the most accuracy with the long-distance one.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Hmmm... What about Nocturn's species? Are top-left/bottom-left/top-right/bottom-right handed more common?

I always make my very occasional mocs right handed, just because it feels normal.

I judged handedness by where characters were depicted holding their projectile weapons, if they had them. After all, if you had a melee weapon and a projectile weapon, you'd probably want the most accuracy with the long-distance one.

If both arms are equally strong, but the dominant hand is more skilled (handwriting), I guess so...

• Upvote 1

The projectile weapons would actually be held on the same side as the character's dominant eye, so they can aim best. Which eye is dominant does not always match which arm is, although they often are the same side.

Anyway, I think I have a tendency to make my MOCs right-handed more often even though I'm left-handed, because I tend to take photos with them facing facing somewhat to the right, and that way the weapon doesn't obscure their body. The preference for them facing to the right is probably because I'm right eyed, I'd guess.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 1

I would assume that the inhabitants of Spherus Magna have a distribution of right/left/bi-handedness similiar to Earth's. In the same vein, it would make sense that the inhabitants of the MU were mostly ambidextrous. It doesn't really make sense to build "robots" with a dominant hand. That would also sort of explain the inclination towards duel-wielding combat styles in the MU, which isn't as prevalent in the Spherus Magna residents.

My BZRPG Profile

Haiko

I don't really pay attention for MoCs. Regarding story, I think Bionicle characters should be considered ambidextrous, IMO. Could just be a programming for the MU inhabitants, if you want some sort of story theory to go along with it. It would make sense as to why some different versions of the characters hold weapons in different hands (like Hahli Inika vs Mahri). Also, a lot of them do dual-wield.

Spherus Magna inhabitants have only one depiction of their character so they don't have to fall under this theory.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I consider all characters to be ambidextrous because it simply wouldn't make sense for an artificial construct to be unable to use one of its hands with the same precision as the other, barring having a giant claw on one hand. That said, most of my MOCs tend to be righties, simple because I myself am right handed and don't put too much thought into it.

• Upvote 1

aouROFb.png

I'd say they can all use both hands equally well, since handedness seems to be genetic in humans, I don't see why beings without genetics/breeding would have that. Maybe if they only used one hand for their job, they might get more used to using one over the other, but I don't think they'd be inherently bad with one. When I draw my characters, it's up to the pose I choose as to which hand they're holding a weapon or tool with. Interesting question.

I was thinking about this a while ago too, and I realized that a good indication of ratio of right to left handedness is to look at characters who hold staffs or spears. It makes sense that a spear would almost definitely be held in the dominant hand, so here's some examples:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100620154225/pl.bionicle/images/7/7c/Set_Toa_Hagah.png

Both right handed

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/bionicle/images/1/1a/Takanuva.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20061015185841

Right handed

http://bricker.ru/images/sets/LEGO/8912_main.jpg

Kind of tricky, but left handed is likely safe to assume

http://img-sotmarket.ru/standart/img/detskie_tovary/detskie_igrushki/konstruktory/lego/f03_konstruktor_lego_bionicle_makuta_8593.png

Left handed

Here's an interesting piece of evidence supporting the idea that Nuparu is ambidextrous

http://images.brickset.com/sets/images/8913-1.jpg

Assuming that he is using that shield as a shield and not a melee weapon, it is likely that he would hold it in his non-dominant hand. That is not the case, however, as it has been shown that he uses his right hand for things that indicate that it's dominant, such as holding a drill/gun.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/bionicle/images/1/10/Nuparu_Inika.png/revision/latest?cb=20091207173235&path-prefix=es

Bam. Nuparu could safely be assumed to be ambidextrous. This may also contribute to the fact that he is a good engineer. He would, in theory, be able to perform precise tasks with either hand, meaning that he could just use whichever hand is more convenient.

• Upvote 2

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Well being a southpaw or left-handed individual I could say with bias that it be cool to see more like me. Also being directionally challenged I sometimes forget my left from my right. Usually I remember because my watch is on my right. I have to fall under the general consensus though and say that while right handed seems more prominent even in the McToran who's throwing arm was their right, being Bio-Mechanical they would likely be ambidextrous.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I consider all characters to be ambidextrous because it simply wouldn't make sense for an artificial construct to be unable to use one of its hands with the same precision as the other, barring having a giant claw on one hand. That said, most of my MOCs tend to be righties, simple because I myself am right handed and don't put too much thought into it.

Well also consider that MU beings still have organic parts to them, just less so than mechanical. Those organic parts like muscles and such in their limbs can make one arm/hand more dominant than the other one. The mechanical parts change a lot of things and could adjust arm mobility so both are equal in terms of dominance, but I would imagine that the flesh makes some sort of difference.

I don't pay much attention to it at all for BIONICLE figures, but I do for minifigures. I myself am right handed so that tends to determine which hand I put the sword on, but occasionally I'll switch it up. The exception to this is for bows. I shoot left handed and thus tend to make minifigures do the same.

As for Toa Vansen's post above- nice effort in trying to determine handedness. Thing is, though, I seriously doubt handedness is something that's given serious consideration. I imagine it mostly boils down to what looks good for the set. :shrugs: This goes for animations as well. You can probably watch them and look at set images and make a guess, but ultimately it's probably not something that's given consideration.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

I really find it bizarre that most of the respondents solely use their OWN dominant hand. I've always been more fond of worldbuilding, which means that, save for a self-MOC or the like, I tend to prefer granting diversity to my MOCs, which includes changing up their dominant hands as I see fit.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I feel like it's just personal preference for MOCists, depending on what feels right to them. For self-MOCs I go with the right hand, since it is dominant, but most of my MOCs include something in both hands, negating the need to determine their hand dominance

For Bionicle 2015, though it appears that they are mostly ambidextrous, although their alternate weapon form is placed in their right hand for the majority of them

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Well while left handed in most of what I do, I bat right. it is the weirdest thing. I can swing all day long while on the left hander's side of the plate and hit nothing, but when I change sides I can hit the occasional ball. Also some of my mouse control for a computer is predominantly right handed. I've even tried using my left to do intricate mouse-work but to no avail. So while I would say I am predominantly left-handed, I do seem to have activities I am only able to do with my right hand well. Does that make me ambidextrous or does that term only refer to being able to do anything with both hands effectively?

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I would definitely like to see more left handed characters as BIONICLE progresses, at the same time as them increasing the number of female characters.

It seems weird that roughly 1/6 of people are left handed, yet I cannot think of a single major character in BIONICLE that is portrayed as left handed. (I have a feeling that some MNOG Matoran were left handed, but still, that was down to the game makers rather than LEGO...) We expect to see portrayals of different genders, races, ages etc. but handedness doesn't seem to count as an "equality and diversity" topic at all.

Although I disagree with it, you can argue that the gender imbalance in, say, the Toa Mata reflects the ratios of gender in the target audience. But that argument does not work for handedness, because there definitely are left handed people in the target audience, but there are no left handed Toa. Perhaps the handedness topic has been overlooked, but I feel that if LEGO addressed it, they may gain new custom from left handed people who feel more valued as audience members.

• Upvote 1
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

That seems a bit of a stretch... As you said, being left-handed over right is not really seen as a diversity the same way race, gender, or ages are. Though I agree it would be cool to see more characters being specifically left handed (Peter Griffin is I believe). Though I don't really see people boycotting something just because characters are predominately right-handed or left-handed. I mean we have race rallies, age stuff, religious demonstrations, and even gender back when woman were not allowed to vote here in the US(Not sure how that works world wide seeing some places had/have a Queen ruler but we have no woman president... yet).

So why not southpaw vs right-handers? Where is the love for us Southpaws?

Onua.png

Left handed people were considered allies of the devil back in medieval England, but by the time the modern world existed, we had mostly moved on to racism and sexism as our discriminations of choice.

• Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Really? Is that the same thing as Irish being witchcraft for having red hair? Because I think I heard that somewhere too. There was some strange superstitions back then...

• Upvote 1

Onua.png

I don't think that there are people boycotting based on handedness, I just mean that some left handed children may want to have a left handed character to relate to. LEGO could easily create those characters and gain a few more fans / strengthen existing fans that way. :)

I'm glad that they aren't burning left handed people any more, but the traces are still there. There are middle-aged people in the UK who were forced to write right handed at school despite being left handed because it was the "correct way" (Perhaps the US had similar). Linguistically, the word "right" is the word for correct, while many words relating to left share a root with "sinister".

Fixing gender equality and other issues where there is modern discrimination obviously takes priority, but why not address this at the same time?

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

As for Toa Vansen's post above- nice effort in trying to determine handedness. 

Thank you!

Personally I use left-handedness in MOCs with as close to real world ratios as possible, meaning there are some, but not a lot. If you can't decide, maybe have the character use a two-handed weapon. It can be put in either hand, but that is not necessarily the dominant hand.

Edited by Toa Vanson

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

Wow I posted right after that post and yet somehow missed it... So During my days of LARPing I would occasionally wield both a staff in one arm and a sword in the other. Being left handed I would naturally gravitate to using my staff in my left where as the sword was gripped firmly in my right. I would take it had I had a gun or other such weapon instead it likely would be placed in my right as well. So I'd have to agree when duel wielding a staff with a smaller weapon the staff would be in one's dominate or stronger hand to be most effective...

• Upvote 1

Onua.png

• 4 weeks later...

I have posted here before, and I hope this doesn't count as necroing/reviving, but I had another idea.

Unless I'm mistaken, Matoran writing is written left to right, like Latin characters are. If that is the case, wouldn't Matoran preferably be right handed so writing would be easier?

No, you have not exceeded the 60day limit so you should be ok. As for writing proficiency? When carving in stone I don't see where one hand over the other matters. However as a Left-handed individual myself. I do know of the days of using a led pencil where my writing may have become smudged as the side of my hand would pass over the led on the paper. Also the outside of my hand would be smudged with said led.

Onua.png

I have posted here before, and I hope this doesn't count as necroing/reviving, but I had another idea.

Unless I'm mistaken, Matoran writing is written left to right, like Latin characters are. If that is the case, wouldn't Matoran preferably be right handed so writing would be easier?

I will prove you wrong. *pulls out pencil, writes sentence in Matoran using left hand* 

That was easy. 

*pulls out pencil, tries to write sentence using right hand*

That was hard, and feels weird. 

Handedness doesn't make writing one way easier than another in general. Since humans have developed R-to-L writing systems, and evidence shows that handness tendency is about the same everywhere, it's not good logic. Handness came first, than the writing - and since the writing has developed both ways...yeah. 

Of course, that's just for humans. Matoran could be different, but I tend to doubt it. If right-dominance --> R-to-L & L-to-R writing systems, then having a L-to-R writing system logically would not determine hand preference one way or another.

I will prove you wrong. *pulls out pencil, writes sentence in Matoran using left hand* 

That was easy. 

*pulls out pencil, tries to write sentence using right hand*

That was hard, and feels weird. 

Handedness doesn't make writing one way easier than another in general. Since humans have developed R-to-L writing systems, and evidence shows that handness tendency is about the same everywhere, it's not good logic. Handness came first, than the writing - and since the writing has developed both ways...yeah. 

Of course, that's just for humans. Matoran could be different, but I tend to doubt it. If right-dominance --> R-to-L & L-to-R writing systems, then having a L-to-R writing system logically would not determine hand preference one way or another.

Sorry, I was a little bit vague. I meant that in theory moving your right hand left to right while writing would be slightly easier. In my experience (near ambidextrous) writing with my right hand is easier because you don't need to move your hand after writing to see a character - your hand naturally moves away. Also, if Matoran use ink or pencils, being right handed would help combat the issue of smudging the writing as the hand passes over the fresh text. I don't know, I guess it makes more sense in my head, I'm sure.