Distance

Bfahome

Distance is a survival racing game that combines the intense action of arcade racing with the exploration of an atmospheric world. You control a unique car that allows you to boost, jump, rotate, and even fly through a chaotic and twisted city. The world has a mysterious history, and as you explore you'll be able to uncover pieces of its past.

The roads are treacherous and unpredictable with obstacles around every corner. Instead of doing laps on a loop, you'll be trying to survive to the end in the quickest time. Since your car has several abilities, it allows you to not only drive fast on the track but also upside down and on buildings and walls! You can also fly to discover new shortcuts and paths. You'll be able to take on the roads alone, or in multiplayer with your friends!

The game is a spiritual successor to the multi-award winning game Nitronic Rush, created by ourselves and 6 others while attending DigiPen Institute of Technology. It was widely praised for its innovative mechanics, visual style, audio design, and atmosphere.

www.survivethedistance.com

So, let's talk about how cool this game is.

Basically, it's a racing game, except more so.  You're not only trying to get to the end of the track as fast as possible, but you're also trying to avoid the lasers, saw blades, grinders, and pop-up walls that someone inexplicably decided would make for good road design.  You can fly and boost to go faster and navigate the track easier, but that makes your car heat up, and overheating makes you explode.  So does crashing into things.

There are other modes too, like challenge mode, which is short tracks that pit you against the game's individual hazards (grinders, long jumps, sideways tracks), or stunt mode, which is basically what it sounds like.

There's a bit of a learning curve, because racing games don't normally have jump, fly, and flip controls, but it's super fun if you can get through the initial confusion.

Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

• Upvote 3

OpAXNpl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Wow this looks like it could be an interesting game to try out. Has a feel of Tron meets Need for speed, meets twisted metal.

Did I actually see a Gundam being created in that vid?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I definitely like the concept of this game. But I haven't been a fan of the 'car only' genre since the Twisted Metal series.
And plus it's not gonna be on a console. 

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

And plus it's not gonna be on a console. 

It is!

alt trailer:

I mostly use my PC for gaming, but my family does have a PS3: will it also be available for that?

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Yeah, Prowl does not own a mainstream console so he wont be able to partake in this game... Unless it works for his Laptop.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Yeah, Prowl does not own a mainstream console so he wont be able to partake in this game... Unless it works for his Laptop.

Who do you think you are? Dracula from Grim Adventures! "Dracula don't bite 'n suck! Dracula Scrape, and lick! Scrape, n' lick!! Scrape, n' lick!!"

Anyway, if you have a Hewlett-Packard, you should be fine.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I have a dell with Windows 8, Inspiron 15 3000 Series. No idea what that really means...

@Iaredios: Sometimes we like to refer to ourselves in different person perspectives when feeling out of sorts. Not sure why just something I started doing when feeling depressed I guess.... Like a reflex. Don't always know I am doing it. My old boss actually asked me once about it when I referred to myself in the 3rd person right to his face.

Onua.png

• 2 weeks later...

Steam has Distance for 33% off for the next 46 hours, so instead of $20 you can get it for under $14.  Not that it wasn't worth the purchase before, but it's super worth it now.

They also put out an update to fix stuff.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

I've been interested in this game ever since I first saw it. That, and I liked its spiritual predecessor Nitronic Rush.

I can't believe I don't have it yet. :o

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~