Why "Jungle Mask", not "Mask of Jungle"?

Votuko

Here's a simple one:

The masks in G2 are easy to remember, because they are Mask of Fire, Mask of Ice, Golden Mask of Stone, Protector Mask of Earth etc. Basically (Variant) Mask of (Element).

But wait. In all official media, the "green masks" are called Jungle Mask, Golden Jungle Mask and Protector Jungle Mask, contradicting the pattern. :o

So what story reason do you think there may be for this inconsistent naming? Do you think there is a story reason? (Is it all the fault of a typo in the G2 story bible master copy? :P)

Personally, I am leaning towards thinking that it will be revealed in the future that "Jungle" isn't really the element at all. But what do you think?

• Upvote 1
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I've seen it suggested that it could be the G2 form of Treespeak, but it's only specifically the masks, not, say, the villages or the region.

It's possible it's just an error that got coincidentally reproduced a few times, but it's weird enough to be noteworthy for now. I don't think it means anything at large (certainly not that Jungle won't be an element, which it definitely will be).

• Upvote 3

Hmmmm, yeah, the wording of it is strange - Mask of Jungle doesn't even sound that awkward. What if they named it Jungle Mask to keep it in line with the Jungle-themed sets, so it won't confuse viewers, but the primary power set of the Mask is air? I heard that they changed the air element to Jungle because focus groups associated green with the latter better - could be that the story material already had the Mask of Air's powers outlined and they were only able to change the name of it to keep things consistent. Could explain why the Protector of Jungle's weapon is still called the "Air Elemental" flame bow. This is a really convoluted theory that I doubt is likely but hey, you never know what goes on behind the scenes.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Most likely it means nothing, and isn't even necessarily an "error" -- the G2 team just probably didn't care which way it's arranged, as it means the same thing either way. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

There may've been a wording error and they're just going with the flow of having it like "Jungle Mask". However, that choice isn't something Lego would quite do, and they would've considered fixing that error like all of the other ones on the Lego Bionicle site as well as Lego sites in general that have been fixed.

I'm leaning towards the possibilty that it is either an homage to tree-speak or concept change, as there currently exists an "Air Elemental Flame Bow" mentioned by Nidhiki of the Shadows. I also remember that the change from Air to Jungle was explained at the NYCC panel, I think, which also may imply that it could've been a late concept change, perhaps forming the "Jungle Mask" name.

• Upvote 2

There may've been a wording error and they're just going with the flow of having it like "Jungle Mask". However, that choice isn't something Lego would quite do, and they would've considered fixing that error like all of the other ones on the Lego Bionicle site as well as Lego sites in general that have been fixed.

I'm leaning towards the possibilty that it is either an homage to tree-speak or concept change, as there currently exists an "Air Elemental Flame Bow" mentioned by Nidhiki of the Shadows. I also remember that the change from Air to Jungle was explained at the NYCC panel, I think, which also may imply that it could've been a late concept change, perhaps forming the "Jungle Mask" name.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The element change wasn't reflected in a majority of the story material until too late, or something along those lines.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The element change wasn't reflected in a majority of the story material until too late, or something along those lines.

-NotS

I don't think it was a late concept change... the fact that a Toa of Air is always green and surrounded by trees has long been regarded as one of the more confusing elements of G1. The change from Air to Jungle was probably very deliberate; the inclusion of "Air" in the elemental connections is more of a shoutout to G1 than anything else.
  • Upvote 1

I'm not really convinced by the argument that it is some sort of error, seeing as it is "Jungle Mask" in all media released so far, and every other mask is "Mask of (Element)" in all media released so far.

(I may be wrong on this though, as I'm not sure if I checked the LEGO Club Magazine insert's naming - please do say if that is so. :) It will be intersting to see whether the masks are named in the Hero Pack, because the preliminary art on the packaging suggests that it was produced before the theme was finalised, so may vary in its naming. Mine is arriving soon, so I'll fill you in.)

But this just seems far too deliberate - they definitely aren't using the two naming orders interchangeably, and neither does "Jungle Mask" flow better than "Mask of Jungle". If anything, the difference is jarring and confusing, especially if there is no underlying reason...

Edited by Xelphene

But this just seems far too deliberate - they definitely aren't using the two naming orders interchangeably, and neither does "Jungle Mask" flow better than "Mask of Jungle". If anything, the difference is jarring and confusing, especially if there is no underlying reason...

That's debateable, I think of Fire/Earth/Water/[Wind/Air]/etc in a general(~unqualified?) sense, & because of things like Zelda, Pokémon, & things with Elemental stuff, I also think of Flame, Metal, Shadow, Darkness, Magic, Light, Life, Electricity, Time, Space, (Stone) .... in this sort of """Elemental"" sense, Jungle though?

Looking at "Mask of Jungle" I expect an article; "Mask of the Jungle", but that does break it up a bit (oh and "The Green" pfff), where as "__ Mask" I can sort of see "Water Mask", isn't wrong, but I don't think that flows; there are plenty of constructs like that in English but generally I think we prefer the alternate X of Y, once something is very common & well known it seems to change around. I think. (although "Flame/Fire Mask" is it on fire?)

Regardless I'm very sleep deprived, & I suspect this is more of a subjective thing... so regardless of reasoning for word-flow or for references or because error. ~~~

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I think it makes sense if you think about it. Every other mask is named after it's element. So The Mask of Fire is of the fire element. Mask of Water is of the water element. The Jungle mask is of the AIR element and therefore should technically be called the Mask of Air.

The focus group liked jungle more so they refer to it as the jungle mask for easy relatability but the element doesn't change right? So it's the Jungle mask for the kids' sake but it's 'grown up' elemental name is the Mask of Air. :)

So... Why isn't Lewa called the Jungle Master/Master of Air?...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I think it makes sense if you think about it. Every other mask is named after it's element. So The Mask of Fire is of the fire element. Mask of Water is of the water element. The Jungle mask is of the AIR element and therefore should technically be called the Mask of Air.

The focus group liked jungle more so they refer to it as the jungle mask for easy relatability but the element doesn't change right? So it's the Jungle mask for the kids' sake but it's 'grown up' elemental name is the Mask of Air. :)

That's basically what I thought. (We actually agree on something, lol. :P)

Maybe they would have liked to have used "Jungle Master" to be consistent with the mask, but for marketing purposes decided that it would be better for all the Toa set names to follow the same "Master of [...]" word ordering, to appear consistent to buyers.

Edited by Xelphene
  • Upvote 1

No, the element DID change. Air isn't an element anymore. They also gave Lewa some additional air powers, but that's to soften the blow of the change. The mask will show Jungle powers, which include air.
  • Upvote 1

I don't get why the bios would be using tree speak or other slang to describe that mask. Wouldn't it just be the protectors that use it? Why would an impartial bio make use of it?

Anyways, I see it as more of an error, in fact maybe not even completely that. It is as much of a plausible way of describing that mask as the other, and so it's not a complete mistake. It might of not been intended, but it still makes alright sense to me. It just wasn't originally meant to be that way. It's not the same mistake as labeling the jungle region with a picture of the fire one (or whatever silly mistake they made that time).

They could have very well said "Fire Mask", or "Earth Mask".

Another plausible reason why they worded it like that was because a jungle is also a place, so maybe they felt wording it the way they did made more sense, keeping people from believing it was a mask from the jungle, but rather a mask with powers of the jungle. Some would argue that this doesn't make sense since they didn't do it for the Mask of Earth, but the Earth is pretty big and general, and I doubt a whole lot of people will assume the Mask of Earth is from Earth because of that. Dunno, just an idea.

My Hero Pack arrived the other day. Unfortunately it doesn't name the masks, so no new information there... (The map of Okoto is pretty nice though; more interesting than the CG image in my opinion. :))

I really hope we don't have to wait for the books before we get an explanation for "Jungle Mask", if there is one. sigh...

it is "Jungle Mask" in all media released so far, and every other mask is "Mask of (Element)" in all media released so far.

That could easily be because whoever made each page didn't think it mattered and just worked off of an original bio that had it that way, for each character separately.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)