Honest Trailers: The LEGO Movie

tn_15_02_03_honest-trailer-lego-movie.pn

If you aren't familiar with Honest Trailers by Screen Junkies, it's a web series on YouTube where they regularly make, well, you guessed it, honest trailers that tell you what the movie is really like without all the marketing talk, one-word teasers and flashy effects that lead you to believe you are about the watch the most epic motion picture in the history of manking. Well, it was only a matter of time before it was The LEGO Movie's turn, so read on to watch it - which you'd probably want if you watched the movie. Includes 'Everything's a Product", which isn't as catchy as the original or as 'Everything is Batman' but a nice try nonetheless.

View the full article

Not where I expected to hear about this...

Why is that? ^_^

I never really imagined Bionicle and that channel had many fans in common. I dunno, I guess I thought someone would have asked him to say Unity Duty Destiny by now.

I think they make decent stuff and I happen to be a Reporter here so I thought this would make a good story. :P I never ask them to say anything, though. :P

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Why is that? ^_^

I never really imagined Bionicle and that channel had many fans in common. I dunno, I guess I thought someone would have asked him to say Unity Duty Destiny by now.

That's a good point.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but 9001 years ago, mentioning YouTube was not allowed because all the inappropriate content one might encounter there, correct? 

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

Why is that? ^_^

I think they make decent stuff and I happen to be a Reporter here so I thought this would make a good story. :P I never ask them to say anything, though. :P

I didn't mean to complain, I love their stuff too. I probably wouldn't have seen it for a while if it wasn't up here.

Mantax can win connect four in three moves.

Why is that? ^_^

That's a good point.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but 9001 years ago, mentioning YouTube was not allowed because all the inappropriate content one might encounter there, correct? 

Yes, but that changed a long time ago (check out the current Advertising Policy). And Reporters had always been allowed to link to appropiate videos in their reports.

I didn't mean to complain, I love their stuff too. I probably wouldn't have seen it for a while if it wasn't up here.

I didn't read it as a complaint anyway. ^_^ Edited by Gatanui
  • Upvote 1

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Eh, Honest Trailers are funny sometimes, but it seems they're all about ridiculing the movies. I dunno, maybe I just prefer the tone of HISHE more. :shrugs: Still, a nice sound that they put together.

Just a general question then, that Hapori Tohu is a joined account that all reporters have acces to?

Well, not really. After we've posted a story on the front page, Hapori Tohu take the text and posts a talkback topic. So we really don't have any control over it. ;)

:music:

Edited by xccj

Oh cool. I didn't know that last bit :P

Just a general question then, that Hapori Tohu is a joined account that all reporters have acces to?

No, the Reporters post the news story into the system, then a regularly running server routine adds the story to the RSS feed and later yet another server routine posts talkbacks for all new stories in the RSS feed via the Hapori Tohu account. It's not ideal but a new system is underway.

Eh, Honest Trailers are funny sometimes, but it seems they're all about ridiculing the movies. I dunno, maybe I just prefer the tone of HISHE more. :shrugs: Still, a nice sound that they put together.

:music:

Agreed, HISHE is the best. ^_^ Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I must say, the parody was clever. especially the rap sections. I believe the movie to be about so much more than selling legos (fun, creativity, working together, easing up, etc.), but the episode was clever nonetheless. 

Why is that? ^_^

I'd have to say I agree. BZP isn't the first place I'd think would post an honest trailer (unless he were to somehow end up doing one for MoL, LoMN, or something like that!). Cool story.

move along.

nothing to see here.

To be honest, they summed it up well. We all have a huge bias towards the product so we try to see it as more than that, but hey, Honest a Trailers isn't afraid to show what movies actually are (not that I didn't like the Lego Movie, but I agree with the points they're making)

And Banana Gunz, I just finished tacos too! Weird! #livingthelegomovie

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

After watching this trailer and reading the comments under it, I can say I am angry. The Lego Movie was more than just a commercial. True, it was made to sell and make money, but name me a movie in hollywood that isn't. This movie has heart, and thoughtful characters, ideas, and themes. This could have easily become the next Clutch Powers movie, but you can tell when watching this that the people making it cared about this movie and put enough care and thought into it to make more than just a commercial. This was a movie made so that anyone can enjoy it, and idiots who can't see that this movie is about so much more than just toys don't deserve it. People who can't appreciate the effort, the care and the goodness and honesty of this movie are ignorant and don't understand it. If all you see when you watch this movie is Lego bricks, you need to learn what a good film is, because this went beyond that and had well thought out themes of imagination and made a statement. If all one got from this movie was "product", they need to think again because when it comes down to it, yes, it was made to sell, but to judge the entire movie unfairly based on that when it is clear that it is honest, fun, balanced, mature and made with care is beyond stupid.

• Upvote 1

Yeah didn't find it very clever or funny and wasn't very honest to look at one aspect of a very good movie (the Oscar nomination bite was pretty poor I thought). That being said I never really found any of their more famous parodies particular funny either.

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Haha, ok, the "starring [all the sets]" joke was pretty funny.

I died at that.

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Honest Trailers is just a subset of the channel at large, a channel built by people who really enjoy watching, talking about, and even dissecting movies. I do have to agree that Honest Trailers isn't always funny; some of them are okay or not that great. (Ghostbusters was a letdown.) But at least when they're saying "here's what wrong with this movie/series," they try to do it in a hilarious way that's not always accurate (humor does have an exaggerative element to it), though sometimes movie flaws are noticeable, and Honest Trailers is not just going "this movie is terrible" and ranting about what needs fixing. In some cases, the people at Honest Trailers just say what other movie fans are probably already thinking... except they have a guy with an announcer voice.

As for The LEGO Movie trailer, I didn't think it was that great, but the song parody was hilarious.

©1984-2015 Toaraga EAM

COT Official Topics | Trade References | COT RPG Guidelines | Truth | A Naming Day Carol | Stars Review The trouble with the status quo is that it keeps changing."College dropout, Shego: they let me in; I let myself out." -Dr. Drakken No great feat was ever accomplished by those who gave into fear or caved under pressure. Earthquakes in many places.|| Busy with life