Where would you be without BZP?

Xabla

Well, the question is, where would you be without BZP? If it never existed, where would you chat about Bionicle? Tell us where you wouldn't go and where you would go and why. Well for me, I wouldn't go to LMBs. Too immature. I also wouldn't tread in YouTube comments, so it rules that out for obvious reasons. I would probably go to TTV Message Boards for my longtime watching of their channel. And though I don't have account, I have lurked there and they are very respectable.

• Upvote 2

cringe

I haven't done that much talk about Bionicles in places other than BZPower (save the LMB's, but that was long ago). 

I'd probably be spending even more time playing head-of-state simulators than I already do, or outside enjoying nature. 

i would have forgotten bionicle and probably split the atom by now

-Tyler

Maybe this, too. 

bZpOwEr

I probably would've stuck with BS01 (or whatever the main BIONICLE reference wiki would have been in its place) for longer than I did, because once I joined BZP I got more interested in the discussion and less interested in the chronicling.  Dunno if I'd still be there at this point though.

I'd also probably be vaguely worse off, since BZP and some of its sub-communities I've been a part of have helped me deal with some stressful times over the years.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

A lot of times when people talk about where they'd be without such-and-such a thing or event in their life, the time you spent doing that thing or being a part of that group is mentally replaced by empty space.

I don't know where I'd be without BZPower. It's shaped who I am in a number of ways and has introduced me to a lot of wonderful people.

Would I have been shaped in the same way and met the same people? It's possible. It's also possible that I would have been a part of another excellent community with other wonderful people who would have shaped my life in a different way. Wouldn't switch BZP for anything else, though.

• Upvote 4

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Probably wouldn't have retained my interest in Bionicle as heavily around 2006-2007 and may have moved on to something else to obsess over. Very hard to say though because the site had such a large impact on that period of my life. :P

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Might not have bonded with my best friend, might not have expanded my artistic boundaries, might not be that deep in the Bionicle fandom, might not be a personified fruit. I suppose I'd have just taken my Bionicle discussion to a different forum or just enjoyed it by myself. I know I wouldn't be as excited about April Fools Day as I am :P

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Probably EuroBricks or the TTV boards, or whatever website pops up that becomes as popular as BZPower--BZP hasn't had that much of an impact on my love for Bionicle, compared to other members.  

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Probably in a generally worse state...I joined this site as a rather bigoted, extremely rude little piece of hashes. This community has done a lot to help me stop being all that terrible. I fancy myself as fairly reasonable and not-totally-a-jerk-all-the-time nowadays, and a lot of that has been this site's influence.

As far as Lego-related stuff, well, I dunno if it really would have affected my love of Bionicle too much while it was running (after all, i joined less than 2 years before it ended), but it probably did do a decent amount to keep me interested in Lego in general. Without BZPower, I'd probably have stopped being a regular Lego customer long ago...And I probably wouldn't really be in other Lego communities.

Not that I am in any other communities, though, I guess? Not any about Lego anyway.

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

I feel like I would be in a very different place without this site. I probably wouldn't be as big of a fan as LEGO as I am now. I doubt I'd have met some people who I consider very close friends either. I'm guessing that I'd spend more time playing videogames and being part of some of those online communities though, so maybe it wouldn't all be bad.

Well first of all, I probably wouldn't be here writing this post.

But in all seriousness, that's a hard question to ask. I've spent five years on this site. I've made my fair share of mistakes and triumphs. If you just ... wipe all that out, I don't know what type of person I would be. I used to practice my writing here. I made friends here. I don't know where I would be if I stopped writing. I don't know where I would be if there weren't a few friends who were willing to verbally smack some sense into me.

It's hard to imagine a different world, you know?

Maybe I wouldn't care about Bionicle anymore.

Maybe.

Ah well.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't have wasted five years of my life making 20,000 posts on a children's toyline discussion board.

Edited by Purple God

It's hard to say definitely. I don't think BZP is responsible for keeping me interested in LEGO and BIONICLE (I was already a huge fan of both before joining BZP), but I think it's safe to say that it enhanced my appreciation for both. There are other webpages out there I would have gravitated toward, but honestly I think they pale in comparison to this website. This one just seems to be a nicer place to hang around. I wouldn't have lasted nearly long at the other ones.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Hmmm... I don't think I would really be in any Bionicle fora, LEGO/Bionicle Message Boards & TTV have a (dreadfully) painful layout IMO, not to mention the level of discussion on the former... I probably would look at TTV every-now and again (they do cover a lot of stuff and are generally very nice), I wouldn't be on r/bioniclelego, & as it is every time I go and have a look through it I see down-votes everywhere and no actual explanation? I don't "really" lurk there as it annoys me that much, and I definitely don't talk there!

EuroBricks just isn't really my thing & I'm not sure if any of the wikis would really hold my interest for long, sure I would read through them and make a few edits where I was certain, but I wouldn't really be on forums as far as Bionicle goes...

I think I would have still come back to Bionicle now (presuming it came back), but I just would be spending my time on something else that isn't what I should probably be doing, such as studying for uni!

Any other Bionicle sites I should know about? (I don't think I'd really participate in Mask of Destiny, but maybe if things were different...)

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

If BZP didn't exist, I probably wouldn't be into Bionicle as much as I still am now. This is the only Bionicle site that I've become a member of. In fact, this is the only Bionicle fan site I go regularly to except for BS01, which I visit occasionally. I don't know if I would go to other sites if BZP wasn't around. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Well, I'd most likely continue to memorize BS01, but at a faster rate. And then would work on my Bionicle stories but have no where to post them....

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

• 2 weeks later...

It was on BZP that I first met the guy who got me into web development. It was also through BZP that I joined (and eventually co-managed) the KanohiJournal, where I got a loooooot of my major web dev experience.

Fast forward nearly 9 years, and I'm in college studying Computer Science, all because someone I met on a BIONICLE fansite was willing to get me into web design.

I'd say a pretty huge aspect of my life would have (maybe) never existed without BZP.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

pretty much about the same, since I never made an account until BBCC 69

used to post on mocpages under the name 'xiazeran' until around 2008, then I left lego during the glaitorian years and now I'm back

You can find all of my mocs, custom parts, and other lego-related stuff at Flickr, Instagram, or Brickshelf.

To be honest? I'm not sure. BZPower was my creative outlet when I first joined and I wrote a lot of terribly written fan fiction that I hardly recognize anymore, well I was also in what, 5th grade? But being here helped me get into creative writing as a full time hobby -- I wrote a lot of fiction, I read about writing fiction, I experimented with writing styles and read a lot more back then and gained a massive appreciation for not only fanfiction (there were some amazing writers back then I looked up to -- there probably still are, I just haven't been active in The Library for years).

So that's where I developed my passion for writing, it's how I wrote so often and so much that I could type at nearly 110 words per minute in ninth grade and finish assignments designed to span multiple days in a half hour, lol. And it's a huge component in how I decided on my major (English).

Additionally I roleplayed a TON on this site like in 2008 - 2011ish. Doing that was massive in terms of not just developing writing skills, but developing lasting friendships and for myself to branch out after some time -- I went to some other RP Sites (all are gone now :c ) where I met amazing and wonderful people who became incredibly close friends of mine. Without them, their support and help, I have no idea where I would be (very realistically a hospital).

Then when I made a tumblr account I eventually ran across many old faces from here on there, we followed each other and I think grew a bit closer overall? But not only that, I became much more aware of problems and issues around me (and even how I unknowingly perpetuated different problems that exist), and that was huge in just gaining a sense of self and understanding different situations I might not even be aware of. It's also where I started, more thoroughly and on a very personal level, exploring my gender identity. Before then I often explored gender identity through RP characters (whom I sorta lived vicariously through WHOOPS), and I had a lot of problems with depression/frustration because I had no one to speak to until I ran into all of them and they started posting and providing a LOT of resources and advice. (And NOW, after reading and absorbing all of that and going to a LOT of counselors and therapists, I'm actually so much happier, so much more comfortable, and well on my way to a lot of really wonderful things in the near future c: ).

But yeah! For the nine or so years I've been here, this place has actually been immensely helpful with shaping a lot of who I am today, and helping me gain the confidence in real life to get assistance with some issues/problems when they came up.

• Upvote 1