Future Set Designs

Zippo

What specific things would you like to see in future sets?

-More eye colors. You don't even have to stick with the original 6 from G1 (RBYODrkGLitG). With the new trans-colored bone pieces, this is a chance to introduce some new colors (Purple eyes, anyone?)

-Keep to a certain "theme" with each element. I'm really digging how each Toa/Protector has their own thing going on (Stone looks like desert survivors, earth looks wide and bulky, etc), and I'd like to see them continue that

-Less silver/gold/gunmetal gray. I think what made the original 2001 sets so appealing was how colorful they were. If they have to keep those metallic colors, however, I'd like if they were only in the weapons

-MASK PACKS MASK PACKS MASK PACKS. Please, Lego, even if it's for one year only, mask packs would make a lot of Bionicle fans old and new happy. It wouldn't be that hard to incorporate them into the story, either (Since this run has not one, but two mask makers).

Edited by Zippo
  • Upvote 4

why is this happening

Here's the things that I'm hoping for:

1. Complex bulk: I would like future figures to incorporate Technic into the CCBS system in such a way that that it'll make up at least 50% of the build.
  2.  Keep the 'fight in a box' concept, or at least an extra mask or something.
  3. 'Blind containers': Similar to the way VMKK/WMKK/SSKK promos were handled.
  4. Unique color schemes; try to incorporate silver that will make everyone happy.
  5. More unique builds: I would love, love, love, love, love, love, hero characters that have very primal body statures instead of the generic humanoid ones.
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

1. huge, monopiece guns. the grittier and more realistic, the better
  2. more grey and silver, less color. is this a circus, or my gritty war fantasy?
  3. large monopiece torsos EVERYWHERE. the more, the merrier
  4. let's cut down the eye colors. summer wave is introducing one too many, so let's cut it down to a simple lime and orange. sounds good.
  5. DETAIL EVERYWHERE. DETAILED MASKS. DETAILED WEAPONS. DETAILED ARMOR. DETAILS ON THE DETAILS ON THE ARMOR. PISTONS AND GEARS AND WEIRD SCRIBBLY LINES AND FINS EVERYWHERE.
  6. make every set a clone of each other for unity's sake

(all joking aside, i'd want more vibrant, less metallic color schemes, more eye colors, new iterations of the Toa that preserve recognizability while still feeling new, and if we can get to specifics with pieces, the death of large monopiece torsos forever)

• Upvote 10

More coloooooors.

We really need more shell variety of dark azure and burn orange and bright green or whatever. And it's about time we got some earth blue ccbs pieces. I'd also love some spring yellowish green but that's just me.

Trans bright green and trans blue eyes. Maybe trans pink.

More purple, but of a different shade. I'm not the biggest fan of Lego's usual purple. There are nicer shades...

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

• Every Toa MUST have a gear function or something similar (like Skull Bahser's bashing function). The 2015 Toa have set a standard, and that standard MUST be kept. :P

• Every set should come with at least 2 masks.

Friction joints in black. I don't really need them, but they would be nice to have.

Awesome weapons.

Plenty of transparent parts.

Transparent red parts. Transparent fluorescent orange is okay, but transparent red would be so nice and would look so great on villains.

A new torso shell. Something that's not too complex, but has some nice little piston details here and there. Not all the Toa need to have it, though.

Transparent yellow parts, especially transparent yellow bones.

More transparent purple parts.

Glow-in-the-dark shells. I want to see Takanuva with trans-yellow bones and glow-in-the-dark shells. That would be awesome.

Some way of getting the masks in all sorts of different colors. It doesn't have to be mask packs, just some way of getting the masks in various colors.

• Upvote 3

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

- More transparent parts, because those are really rad. Especially the purple parts.

- Mask packs and regular non-protector-non-transparent (villager?) masks, even just for MOCing. It's hard to build a new character or a Toa or whatever when you only have one color per mask. 

- More eye colors. It's kinda dumb but I actually miss all the different eye colors from 2001.

• Upvote 1

1 - More eye pieces. This new head is great, but needs more brains. What about some colors that have never been used LEGO ? Trans-teal ? Trans-Purple ? Please. It don't even have to be new colors, but please, make each character have an unique eye color.

2 - Less Silver/Gold. These characters suffer from metal colors which detracts them from their respective elements, specially Gali.

3 - Bring back the Air element please.

4 - Make clone sets again Small sets should have different masks.

5 - No stickers

6 - NEW SHELLS PLEASE WITH PISTON AND TECHNIC DETAILS I CAN'T STAND SEEING THOSE 4 YEAR OLD BLAND AND BORING SHELLS OR IF YOU CAN'T MAKE NEW SHELLS THEN AT MAKE NEW ATTACHMENTS

• Upvote 1

After going through some of the G2 Toa instruction manuals, I was blown away by how unique each Toa is and how complex the builds are (relatively to othe CCBS)!

I want them to keep doing what they do right now.

As for new stuff, I'd like more eye colours, New Kanohi, definitely new weapons, and perhaps maybe a few new feet design. I am getting rather bored of the current one. 

• Upvote 2

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

1. As most people said so far, more different eye pieces. The variety we got among the Mata and the Metru was amazing, and I really dislike the lack of variety the latter years showed. I'd love to see some trans-yellow, trans-purple and trans-pink eye pieces.

2. A new eyepiece molds that stops the mask-ejection feature. As much as I understand the playability of it, I simply dislike it and it bothers me that the masks fall of that often. I want to stress that I really understand why Lego opted of it and I appreciate their effort, but I simply don't want to see it in every set we'll be getting.

3.More colours. Seriously. Less silver/gold/gunmetal and more colours. Don't get me wrong, I love those armour colours too, but I would love to see some sets that don't have those at all. It would be an interesting and creative challenge.

4. More colours for the bone pieces. I'm 100% convinced that the colours of the bones are as important to the overall colour scheme as the armour pieces. I'd love to see more red, green, white and blue ones. Or even tan !

-Iben

• Upvote 4

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

I think they should make the masks fit onto the heads better, as with the skull spider masks. Pohatu is a great example of this flaw, as his mask bobs up and down a little too much, and comes off a lot more easily than other masks. If they could make every mask fit on the heads like the skull spider masks that would make the play feature more worthwhile and not as much of a hassle.

• Upvote 2

Vahi: They've mentioned it so many times already(maybe not said it aloud, but in the little packet plus the carvings), so why not? :vahi:  

More eye colors!: they've shown 3, they will need to release purple if they release makuta. and i want all 6 original colors, only lewa, tahu, and kopaka are getting theirs.

Hammer Time!: I need mer hammers! :gavel:

More villains: :sky:

Darker, deadlier, villains:  :devil:

Names: none of the new guys have names that seem, well, bionicle. :???:

Hivemind Villains! :smilebahrag2:

Oh yeah, and titans

Edited by Dragon11603
  • Upvote 1

More eye colors would be great.

Trans-colored pieces to be continued to be used. Not necessary used more than they were with the 2015 winter wave, but around the same amount. 

I would definitely like to see more trans masks though. :)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

More eye colors!: they've shown 3, they will need to release purple if they release makuta. and i want all 6 original colors, only lewa, tahu, and kopaka are getting theirs.

Actually, that would be Pohatu that has his original eye color represented somewhere in the new sets. Tahu's was trans pink, not trans red-orange. Also, the trans light blue being used in 2015 ins't technically the same color.

• Upvote 3

AXKP5KC.png

Anyone know why Tahu/Tahu Nuva's pink brainstalk color was discontinued for contraction? They used it twice, so it wasn't bad by any means.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Anyone know why Tahu/Tahu Nuva's pink brainstalk color was discontinued for contraction? They used it twice, so it wasn't bad by any means.

Probably the same reason they dropped trans yellow and trans green, and light blue/blue for a long time, which is to say, iunno? Probably just easier that way. Lowers the cost or something....

Also, I think at least a few of the original eye colors have been discontinued by Lego period, not just constraction. I think pink and yellow? Not totally sure on this though.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

I would like more non humanoid characters as well as variations on humanoid builds like four arms, tails, wings, dinosaur-like legs(not sure what the proper term for that look is, you see it a lot in fantasy genre stuff), etc. I would like to see creature types that we haven't seen before as well as no or fewer insects. I feel like constraction has beat that theme to death. We need more reptiles and feline or even lycan characters and creatures. Personally, I would love to see the dinosaurs we never got for 2010 but that would be rather unlikely. Creative color schemes and unique character design is a must though for anything. I would also love to see more creative and unconventional weapons and certainly minimizing the use of metallic colors as much as possible.

• Upvote 3

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

A lot of people have been saying they want less metallic colors, including gunmetal, but...in the winter wave at least, gunmetal was used pretty much by no one but Gali. If anything, if we're gonna be getting metallic colors anyway (and we are) I think more gunmetal (instead of the other metallic colors) would be better. Unlike silver and gold, gunmetal doesn't really stand out, so it doesn't really drown out the brighter shades in a color scheme (if anything, it emphasizes them, at least if it's used used moderately) and it goes with just about anything (including silver and gold, so it mixes much better with those than they do with each other). I really wish a few more sets in the winter wave used gunmetal instead of whatever they did get. Onua in particular comes to mind....

• Upvote 3

AXKP5KC.png

1. No grey or black limbs or body frames; I'd like to see element-coloured pieces instead.

2. Solid coloured shells or limbs in favour of trans one; The current colour palette is too varied and messy and most of the time the trans pieces look tacky.

3. A G1 styled foot piece that uses a Y-joint ("hand piece"?) to connect to the leg. 95% of the time, the single piece ones that we currently have only look okay as feet (it's not even a nice foot design!). Single piece feet might be more stable, but with the harder CCBS plastic it shouldn't matter as much and in my opinion versatility is more important.  The G2 Y-joint is slightly less useful than the G1 versions, but it's still a very useful piece.

I know this won't happen, but I'd like the balljoint and System circular axle armour connections to go; they are too gappy and often look to bulky to work on smaller builds such as the Protectors. I find the standard Technic connections from G1 more versatile and the armour tends to look more solid.

• Upvote 1

I have to disagree that grey and black can't be used, tbh, they work really fine in combination with certain colours. I love the combination of for instance grey and white and blue and black. Although I do agree that having more colours really is a must.

The thing about transparent pieces is that they work perfectly, if used correctly. It's really hard to get a good combination. For instance, I don't like the combination of trans. light blue, white and gold, but I do like the combination of trans light blue and gold and trans light blue and white. Sometimes it's hard to find the right combinations, but some just really work. Especially when you combine a solid colour with a trans bone piece. The other way around doesn't always work for me.

I do however agree on the foot pieces. It's one of the things that I loved about Bionicle. The various different styled feet were amazing, from the Rashkii to Mantax and the Mata to the Inika. I just loved the variation you got with those, and I kinda miss that at this point.

Though, it's all simply a matter of taste I guess.

-Iben

• Upvote 1

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

A lot of people have been saying they want less metallic colors, including gunmetal, but...in the winter wave at least, gunmetal was used pretty much by no one but Gali. If anything, if we're gonna be getting metallic colors anyway (and we are) I think more gunmetal (instead of the other metallic colors) would be better. Unlike silver and gold, gunmetal doesn't really stand out, so it doesn't really drown out the brighter shades in a color scheme (if anything, it emphasizes them, at least if it's used used moderately) and it goes with just about anything (including silver and gold, so it mixes much better with those than they do with each other). I really wish a few more sets in the winter wave used gunmetal instead of whatever they did get. Onua in particular comes to mind....

The original Toa each had a different eye color, and apart from Onua, they were all fluorescent. But that was during the bloat that almost consumed Lego in the early 2000s—there was zero restraint when it came to introducing new colors, and in fact several of the Toa's eye colors were almost entirely unique to them (Tahu's Trans. Fluor. Red in particular was only ever used for Tahu's eyes, and the third-party eyepiece from the Bionicle toothbrushes). At the peak of this bloat Lego had more than 90 colors in rotation at a time, and many of those were only used for a few parts. This, and Lego's reliance on new molds during the same period, almost sunk the company, leading to a huge restructuring in the mid-2000s, which included the discontinuation of Tahu and Gali's eye colors.

The Toa Metru also all had different eye colors, but far fewer of those were fluorescent. As a result, Vakama and Nokama's eye colors glowed brightly under most lighting conditions, while Toa Nuju's eyes only glowed when backlit and Matau, Onewa, and Whenua's eyes hardly glowed at all unless lit brightly from directly behind. The "glowier" eye colors, being more appealing, were the ones that were kept around, due to their fluorescence granting them far more more visual appeal.

Lego currently only has five fluorescent colors on their palette. Trans. Fluor. Green and Trans. Fluor. Reddish Orange glow extremely brightly. Trans. Fluor. Blue, Trans. Bright Green, and Trans. Orange glow slightly less brightly. Currently, the new eyepiece exists in the former two colors and Trans. Light Blue, which is not fluorescent but is lightly-colored enough to glow well when backlit. The latter three fluorescent colors are mostly redundant considering the existing eye colors, which already represent the primary colors of Red, Yellow, and Green fairly well, so I would not be at all surprised if the current eyepiece remains limited to those three.

All things considered, eye color is a fairly minor part of any given set's color scheme. As such, there's little benefit to introducing new recolors just for the sake of variety, especially if that color is only intended for a single set in any given year. So I think the era of individualized eye colors is far behind us, for better or for worse.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Hopefully they will introduce a lot more armour attachments. There is a lot of potential there but we've only seen like 3 different variations this year. I love this new element but I feel it's a tad-bit overused. 

-NotS

Personally, one of the big things I'm hoping for is the continued "overuse" of that element. I'd love to see some new colors for it, particularly black (which would be very versatile as a nice neutral color). I had hoped that our first villain wave would feature it in black, but alas, no such luck.

Anyway, other things I hope for... more Dark Azur and Dark Orange parts, for sure. Maybe some other rare CCBS colors that have yet to be featured heavily in Bionicle (like Reddish Brown, Sand Yellow, Dark Brown, Medium Azur, and Olive Green). More non-humanoid sets, and more sets with creative functions. And more new blasters that are optimized for Technic/Constraction MOCs (how about a "laser shooter" like this but with Technic connections?).

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll be impressed by whatever comes around!

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I sincerely hope we do see more pieces in a similar style to that/this one!

I too want to it to have a lot of use but think it could also be complemented nicely with other pieces like it.

More technic would be great - especially if it's integrated with CCBS! (LoSS didn't really mix that much CCBS in...)

A few more non-humanoid sets would also be very nice :3

Different torso - or at least chest designs - would be really appreciated (especially for the humanoid sets!)

A bit less gold, I understand it is to many of Bionicles buyers what cookies are to Cookie Monster, but just a tiny bit less gold please? (compared to other parts in the set if nothing else...)

& whilst it's not set design, I would really enjoy: a Red Skull Spider, and those trans [secondary colour] + gold masks for Tahu & Gali.

As for eye/brain colours; I wouldn't mind some sort of trans purple like colour, but considering what Lyichir said... I'm not desperately wanting many.

I just want to ensure that I can make a Mask Maker style Makuta, which would basically be a slightly different hammer, Mask of Control, and purple instead of blue...

(Is Transparent Bright Bluish-Violet the colour used in Onua & the PoE? I know many consider it to dark for an eye-piece, but...)

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I agree with the new eye colours and blind packs for future sets. I'd also like to see some old sets from Gen 1 come back (preferably the Inika-toran and Takua), to not only see them officially updated in the CCBS but also to get some more familiar faces

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

At least a new chest shell design and some new armor. I don't even care if they're not coated in pistons and gears like G1. Just something different than the tired and boring infinitely reused 4 year old design we've had for years

Also, a true titan set would be nice.

Edited by hiddenderek
  • Upvote 1

And also bones which have holes through the armour attachment ball joints like the Protector torsos have.

Sometimes I find myself wanting parts like these before I remember that that effectively halves the number of ways you can attach armor to the bone. It works for the torso because you usually don't have any reason to attach armor to the side, but for limb pieces it would really only be a detractor.

Edited by farmstink buttlass
  • Upvote 3

AXKP5KC.png

I'd like to see a wider variety of functions. Not just gear functions, but something that'll feel really creative as a function. I'd also like to see an attachment similar in size and scale to the Piston attachment of this year, as IMO the piston attachment is one of the best we've had so far due to its size and scale and how it can cover up areas that smaller shells don't quite reach. Also - attachments used not necessarily just on shells. 

I'd also like to see the continuation of Protector-sized sets. All the articulation, but continuing to use the small torso with more variation. 

• Upvote 2

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

I would like to see Okoto wildlife! Or just something similar to Rahi with unique inspired battle functions (ex. the Tarakava boxing), and infected masks or at least a similar concept. I realize we've got the LOSS and despite the mass criticism for him, he's a step in the right direction! He just lacks a good battle function.

I would also like to see more individual characters besides the toa and mask makers. I'd like them to release more villagers with individual names and possibly uniquely shaded masks if not different molds.

And I agree with an above post: If not evil rahi, release a riding beast (ex. Toa Lhikan & Kikanalo) or a vehicle (Lesovikk). Introduce more complexity and engineering into Bionicle.

These are just things I would like to see. Even if they don't put these into the story, I will still be grateful for what we receive.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

1. More eye colors. No need to elaborate, it's already been said.

2. Special masks that don't belong to a specific character. Just giving us more unique designs would open the door for new powers and it would create more ways to make mocs unique

3. Masks in other colors. I'd like to see the mask of stone in black or the mask of fire in white. There should also be silver and bronze variations of the masks, just like the old days.

4. More unique chest armor plates.

5. Blended transparent/opaque armor shells. I think this would look especially cool on villains.

6. Bone pieces in more off the wall colors, like light blue so I can make a Mega Man figure in CCBS and green.

7. Scabbards or holsters for certain weapons. I would only work for smaller weapons, but I think it would be a really cool storage feature. Plus, Samurai Toa anyone?

8. More unique body types, and possibly extra limbs, while figuring out how to gear up multiple sets of limbs at once. A four armed character with both sets of arms being geared up would be awesome.

Keep doing everything that's been done right with the sets so far. Personally, I think these new sets are fantastic, and maybe even slightly better than some of the Bionicle sets of old (HERESY). They just seem so polished and well built, while still retaining function. It's nice to see that Lego was able to find a happy medium between form and function, something that I think was admittedly missing from classic Bionicle (that said, I still really like classic Bionicle).

• Upvote 1

>tfw you have no idea what to put here