Future Set Designs

Zippo

*Sees notifications* "what kinda flame war have I started this time", In response to pretty much everyone I think it would look better if the toa's chest pieces were one piece instead of two, kinda like the HF breakout sets, and I'm not saying the current chest pieces are bad, I'm just saying I'd like it to change.

Hm. I don't really see the advantage there, since multiple-piece torso armor allows you to mix and match the chest add-on and the torso, allowing for many variations. For example, one of my MOCs uses Lewa's chest plate (which features Silver Metallic, Warm Gold, Bright Yellowish Green, and Bright Yellow details) on a Bright Yellowish Green 6M shell, even though Lewa himself uses it on a Bright Green torso shell.

Single-piece torso armor, on the other hand, would only offer one configuration. That's the main reason why I also disliked last year's Chima torso shell, which had only one connection point (not including the Zamor), making it functionally inferior as a building element to the two-piece torso armor from 2013.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Adding to my previous post as well as others a while back, I would LOOOVE to see Bionicle Dinosaurs! It fits the whole 'tribal' aura G2 seems to give off. 

This guy...VOTE FOR HIM!!! xD

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

What I would like to see the most is these and these, but smaller. Basically, I would love to have shells that resemble the old shoulder armour we got. They were versatile and overall I really liked the look of them. A smaller and perhaps thinner version of the torso shells we have now would be perfect for this.

-Iben

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

*Sees notifications* "what kinda flame war have I started this time", In response to pretty much everyone I think it would look better if the toa's chest pieces were one piece instead of two, kinda like the HF breakout sets, and I'm not saying the current chest pieces are bad, I'm just saying I'd like it to change.

Hm. I don't really see the advantage there, since multiple-piece torso armor allows you to mix and match the chest add-on and the torso, allowing for many variations. For example, one of my MOCs uses Lewa's chest plate (which features Silver Metallic, Warm Gold, Bright Yellowish Green, and Bright Yellow details) on a Bright Yellowish Green 6M shell, even though Lewa himself uses it on a Bright Green torso shell.

Single-piece torso armor, on the other hand, would only offer one configuration. That's the main reason why I also disliked last year's Chima torso shell, which had only one connection point (not including the Zamor), making it functionally inferior as a building element to the two-piece torso armor from 2013.

Well I guess there is that advantage, in all honesty I don't really care if it's one or two pieces I just want new torso armour pieces. 

It's time to move on.

Adding to my previous post as well as others a while back, I would LOOOVE to see Bionicle Dinosaurs! It fits the whole 'tribal' aura G2 seems to give off. 

This guy...VOTE FOR HIM!!! xD

YES.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

1. More eye colors. No need to elaborate, it's already been said.

8. More unique body types, and possibly extra limbs, while figuring out how to gear up multiple sets of limbs at once. A four armed character with both sets of arms being geared up would be awesome.

*cough* skullslicer *cough*

Unfortunately, only Skull Slicer's left arms seem to be part of the function. So it's still something to hope for.

OpAXNpl.jpg

8. More unique body types, and possibly extra limbs, while figuring out how to gear up multiple sets of limbs at once. A four armed character with both sets of arms being geared up would be awesome.

Unfortunately, only Skull Slicer's left arms seem to be part of the function. So it's still something to hope for.

Just...One side?

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Just...One side?

Yes, unfortunately.

Not even the side with two swords. It's the one with the chain. I guess that could be kinda cool too? Still, kinda disappointing.

AXKP5KC.png

1. More recolors. They started on that already but the more colors we have, the better.

2. More eyestalk colors. We only get trans yellow, trans red, and trans blue so far.

3. More add-ons. These can really bring the sets to a whole new level. We have two so far(winter wave and this August) but a load more would be awesome. LEGO should realize that the add-ons are especially usable by all audiences, for younger ones they can be used for quick customization of a guy and for older fans they could become something else entirely(finding a use for one as a head or other piece). This is my most major thing I'd like to see.

4. More of the add-on chest plates. At first I was a bit sad that all the chest plates had decals on them, but it's actually really quite nice.

5. More masks. Mask packs, mask extras, but the recolors(protectors, golden masks, trans masks later this year) are getting a bit annoying.

5. More masks. Mask packs, mask extras, but the recolors(protectors, golden masks, trans masks later this year) are getting a bit annoying.

I disagree. I want them to give us as many masks in as many colors as possible. Bionicle post-2002 and HF always suffered from only having masks or helmets in one color for the most part, and it was awful. This is the first time since the Nuva masks that we have any mask in 7 colors. (the Protector mask) And that is amazing. Recolors are good. More masks are also nice, but I'd prefer to get the ones we already have in new colors than just throw them out with only one or two variations.

• Upvote 6

AXKP5KC.png

I disagree. I want them to give us as many masks in as many colors as possible. Bionicle post-2002 and HF always suffered from only having masks or helmets in one color for the most part, and it was awful. This is the first time since the Nuva masks that we have any mask in 7 colors. (the Protector mask) And that is amazing. Recolors are good. More masks are also nice, but I'd prefer to get the ones we already have in new colors than just throw them out with only one or two variations

This was EXACTLY what I thought when I saw the summer sets.

• Upvote 1

cringe

1) Definetely more masks IN DIFFERENT COLORS (Blue Hau, Green Kakama etc. I won't use the G2 names, I'm used to the old ones)

2)More unique functions. Back in G1 Toas had very similar functions, while the villains where the ones with unique ones. Just look at Toa Metru vs Nidhiki and Krekka. And all these 2001 rahi.

3) Different gearbox/torso parts. Onua is great with his different torso, it'd be nice to have similar variations of the standard builds.

4)Moar of these parts. I have very few of them and I'd love to see more in these sets. They are great for MOCing. Also more Technic parts would be nice.

5) Obviously Rahi. We just have LOSS right now, it'd be awesome to see more.

6) Yes I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see Toa/Turaga Metru in this reboot. Loved Vakama, Nokama, Matau and their brothers so much ;__;

Edited by Petersheikah

Honestly, I'd like to see G2 barraki. I loved the organic armor and nature-inspired vibe, and I can see it meshing really well with the new setting. Functions could include snapping claws, extendable jaws, punching features (a la mantis shrimp), etc etc etc. Of course, this would also include new, more pastelle colors and glow in the dark.

Edited by Paleo
  • Upvote 4

I want a new body armour mold that's not two pieces, and if the budget of the theme is raised for next year I think we might get that.

Wait, are you saying you want a new single-piece body armor mold? Or one with more than two parts?

Personally I think the current method of armor with a shell and a shell detail is just fine. Mind you, I'd be open to a new torso shell or chest detail, particularly if they offered a dramatically different style and/or new connection points. But you don't need MORE parts to do that; just different ones.

I think it means like the old Bionicle limbs that don't have any sort of covering and the shape itself is the design.

I feel like that's a step backwards. It would reduce the customizability of the sets. I'd like if there more shells and armor details in more shapes. There's currently two full body armor plates, the one with the connector bars and the "classic" one, but I'd like to see more. Heck, I'd like to see more types of the other shells. And more details are always nice.

But all the sets look boring reusing the same pieces over and over again. Even the different sizes of bones and shells look similar. The old sets that used one piece for shins and arms had a great variety that made Bionicles look like Bionicle.

I want a new body armour mold that's not two pieces, and if the budget of the theme is raised for next year I think we might get that.

Wait, are you saying you want a new single-piece body armor mold? Or one with more than two parts?

Personally I think the current method of armor with a shell and a shell detail is just fine. Mind you, I'd be open to a new torso shell or chest detail, particularly if they offered a dramatically different style and/or new connection points. But you don't need MORE parts to do that; just different ones.

I think it means like the old Bionicle limbs that don't have any sort of covering and the shape itself is the design.

I feel like that's a step backwards. It would reduce the customizability of the sets. I'd like if there more shells and armor details in more shapes. There's currently two full body armor plates, the one with the connector bars and the "classic" one, but I'd like to see more. Heck, I'd like to see more types of the other shells. And more details are always nice.

But all the sets look boring reusing the same pieces over and over again. Even the different sizes of bones and shells look similar. The old sets that used one piece for shins and arms had a great variety that made Bionicles look like Bionicle.

The thing is, what's boring to you can be a source of appeal to others. Personally I LOVE that most shells largely look similar to one another, because it makes it a lot easier to maintain a particular visual style across a model without having to limit the parts you use. In Bionicle most parts had some sort of specialized detail and in many cases that detail did not exist in any other parts. There was no part that really matched the angular plated look of the Rahkshi leg, for instance, which could be a burden if, say, you wanted a MOC to have the same texture for its arms and legs but wanted them to be different lengths. And when you got into sets like the Barraki it got worse—Kalmah's leg armor would have been a vastly more useful building element if not for having a texture that didn't match any other parts.

That's the beauty of the CCBS—most basic shells come in modular sizes and (aside from occasional torso shells and similar elements) have a unified visual style. Detail is added through "add-ons" that can be attached to any size or shape of shell, meaning that you can spread consistent detail across a model as needed without having to alter the proportions or build of the figure to do so.

Beyond all that, it's worth noting that you don't need single-piece limbs to add variety. Just adding new styles of shell (like sets commonly do for torsos) could change up the look of limbs without forcing that design to be limited to limbs of a certain length. And if the new shells had new connection points (like the Brain Attack torso compared to the basic 2.0 torso), they'd be able to ensure that they stood out as building elements, and not just as aesthetic changes for their own sake.

• Upvote 6

Similar to what Evergrey_Toa said, I'd like to see some development of Protector society and Okoto wilderness. Sets besides the good-guy bad-guy thing would be nice, even in they're still somewhat tied to either side of the conflict.

I also share the common sentiment of wanting more colors of shells and shell accessories, mainly because dark bley and tan shells would be SO useful.

And mask packs? *Heck* yes. Just not like Onua's less-than-mediocre mask. I think there should be a bit more consitency in the proportions of the faces, at least between builds of the same size.

• Upvote 1

One thing I also wanted to add is villain wise,

I want me some DARK HUNTERS!

Just think about it...quest for the masks of Creation, Ultimate Power, and Control. Yeah, the mask of Creation seems like it's the most powerful, but I think the new generation could bring back the IDEA of Bionicle mercenaries/bounty hunters who wish to grab the Mask of Control and/or Ultimate Power. If any character return to the dark hunters, I'd wanna see a set form of Eliminator or a modern version of Nidhiki. But in reality, I just want the idea of the Dark Hunters to return. That and rahi/dinosaurs/vehicles are all wishes I'd like, but out of those, the Dark Hunters and some kinds of Okoto rahi take the priority of my wishes.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

What specific things would you like to see in future sets?

-More eye colors. You don't even have to stick with the original 6 from G1 (RBYODrkGLitG). With the new trans-colored bone pieces, this is a chance to introduce some new colors (Purple eyes, anyone?)

-Keep to a certain "theme" with each element. I'm really digging how each Toa/Protector has their own thing going on (Stone looks like desert survivors, earth looks wide and bulky, etc), and I'd like to see them continue that

-Less silver/gold/gunmetal gray. I think what made the original 2001 sets so appealing was how colorful they were. If they have to keep those metallic colors, however, I'd like if they were only in the weapons

-MASK PACKS MASK PACKS MASK PACKS. Please, Lego, even if it's for one year only, mask packs would make a lot of Bionicle fans old and new happy. It wouldn't be that hard to incorporate them into the story, either (Since this run has not one, but two mask makers).

OH THANK MATA NUI

I was talking on the G2 Rushed forum about lack of Kanohi masks, and I'm so glad someone agrees with me! That's what made the old sets fun to collect! Now, it's recolorations of Protector masks, and that's no fun. I wanted a good story for Bionicle 2015, but I don't know if we'll get it right now. 

But seriously LEGO, Skull Spiders?

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

-More eye colors. You don't even have to stick with the original 6 from G1 (RBYODrkGLitG). With the new trans-colored bone pieces, this is a chance to introduce some new colors (Purple eyes, anyone?)

-Keep to a certain "theme" with each element. I'm really digging how each Toa/Protector has their own thing going on (Stone looks like desert survivors, earth looks wide and bulky, etc), and I'd like to see them continue that

-Less silver/gold/gunmetal gray. I think what made the original 2001 sets so appealing was how colorful they were. If they have to keep those metallic colors, however, I'd like if they were only in the weapons

-MASK PACKS MASK PACKS MASK PACKS. Please, Lego, even if it's for one year only, mask packs would make a lot of Bionicle fans old and new happy. It wouldn't be that hard to incorporate them into the story, either (Since this run has not one, but two mask makers).

OH THANK MATA NUI

I was talking on the G2 Rushed forum about lack of Kanohi masks, and I'm so glad someone agrees with me! That's what made the old sets fun to collect! Now, it's recolorations of Protector masks, and that's no fun. I wanted a good story for Bionicle 2015, but I don't know if we'll get it right now. 

What's wrong with Skull Spiders? It's a scary concept for a set of monsters—certainly no less so than the cute-as-a-button Shadow Leeches.

Anyway, regarding the "old sets" being fun to collect due to Kanohi... I assume you didn't have ANY fun collecting the post-2003 sets, after which mask packs went away for good. We're getting a fair number MORE masks than any of the later years of Bionicle, due largely to all the $15 and higher sets including not one but TWO masks. So far we're getting seven Protector masks, six colored Toa masks, six gold Toa masks, two skull villain masks, four blended Toa masks, four Skull Spiders, and the Mask of Creation. That's a grand total of 30 masks—more masks than any year after mask packs went away (2008 being the only year that even came CLOSE, with 27).

• Upvote 3

OH THANK MATA NUI

What's wrong with Skull Spiders? It's a scary concept for a set of monsters—certainly no less so than the cute-as-a-button Shadow Leeches.

Anyway, regarding the "old sets" being fun to collect due to Kanohi... I assume you didn't have ANY fun collecting the post-2003 sets, after which mask packs went away for good. We're getting a fair number MORE masks than any of the later years of Bionicle, due largely to all the $15 and higher sets including not one but TWO masks. So far we're getting seven Protector masks, six colored Toa masks, six gold Toa masks, two skull villain masks, four blended Toa masks, four Skull Spiders, and the Mask of Creation. That's a grand total of 30 masks—more masks than any year after mask packs went away (2008 being the only year that even came CLOSE, with 27).

All I'm saying is, in my eyes, the Rahkshi, Piraka, and Barraki were very interesting villains. The Skull Spiders are just...Eh.

But I have to agree with you on the post 2003 mask collecting. That's where I fell off from Bionicle(a.k.a didn't have money), and didn't come back until 2005-2006, which is what got me hooked 

I had just mentioned in another thread;

I wish they had made some Skull Spider infected rahi or something to go along with the whole Toa trying to get their golden masks in the new sets, to kind of reflect what they did back in the day with the original infected mask rahi. I think it would have fleshed out the Skull Spider idea a bit more, especially because then they could have made the Lord of Skull Spiders a really big, burly "boss" like figure instead of a smaller set like it is. 

I had just mentioned in another thread;

I wish they had made some Skull Spider infected rahi or something to go along with the whole Toa trying to get their golden masks in the new sets, to kind of reflect what they did back in the day with the original infected mask rahi. I think it would have fleshed out the Skull Spider idea a bit more, especially because then they could have made the Lord of Skull Spiders a really big, burly "boss" like figure instead of a smaller set like it is. 

Agreed. It had so much potential for an amazing story, but alas, no real story to follow. 

• Upvote 1

So 2015 has 10 unique masks, versus the 22 unique masks from 2008, not counting the reused ones from previous years. Unique masks versus the total number of masks is more of a matter of preference, but you've got a good point, as 2008 was the only year after 2003 that we got an abundance of masks. 

Future villain waves, however, might not have masks (like the Bohrok or Piraka), which would decrease the mask count.

Edited by 32one
  • Upvote 1

So 2015 has 10 unique masks, versus the 22 unique masks from 2008, not counting the reused ones from previous years. Unique masks versus the total number of masks is more of a matter of preference, but you've got a good point, as 2008 was the only year after 2003 that we got an abundance of masks. 

Future villain waves, however, might not have masks (like the Bohrok or Piraka), which would decrease the mask count.

I would have to agree. While 2006 had an excellent story and pretty good sets, regardless of the Inika build, it was disappointing Mask wise.

• Upvote 1

1: More eye stalk colours. Just maybe not dark green; I thought it never really "glowed" as much as I would have liked.

2: A new body that has a joint at the hips or waist. It would have to be two parts, but judging by the strength in the new CCBS parts, maintaining position shouldn't be a problem.

3: A new head mold that is also compatible with the G1 masks, or a modification of the latest one. Sure, they wouldn't be able to make use of the mask pop-off function, but a majority of the old G1 masks weren't made for that kind of action anyway.

4: Reissue of the original Mata masks, but slightly modified to use the pop-off function. Purely for us G1 fans.

5: Rahi. Enough said.

Other than that, BIONICLE 2015 looks like it's off to a solid start with the new designs.

I hope there are more animal designs. I noticed that most sets have been either Humanoid or Insectoid. The Visorak, Mistika Makuta, LoSS, and Scorpio were all based on bugs. Everyone else was pretty much a standard humanoid build. We haven't gotten any nice beast sets outside of the big box sets. I hope that for one wave, maybe they could have the small canister sets be 6 different Rahi partners for the Toa.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr
  • Upvote 4

I'm not too upset by LoSS being tiny and the Skull Spiders not being a huge threat, as they are more like bonus "token bad guys".

They are there so that the Toa have at least something to battle before the actual villains are released in Summer, so that children who buy the sets don't instantly get bored of them and forget about the theme. (It's an improvement on the Winter Metru wave, which came with no enemies.)

On the subject of future designs, some large Rahi would be nice for 2016. Assuming they are theming each year on one of the "legendary" masks, then 2016 will be the Mask of Control. That could fit nicely with some 2001-style Makuta-controlled Rahi. (Although I don't really know how well CCBS could be used for non-humanoid figures.) Hopefully after testing the water in 2015, LEGO will let the BIONICLE team mould more brand new pieces for 2016 and have some larger waves including titan sets. In that case, large, non-humanoid creatures with novel build styles and functions would be something to hope for.

Edited by Xelphene
  • Upvote 1
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I hope there are more animal designs. I noticed that most sets have been either Humanoid or Insectoid. The Visorak, Mistika Makuta, LoSS, and Scorpio were all based on bugs. Everyone else was pretty much a standard humanoid build. We haven't gotten any nice beast sets outside of the big box sets. I hope that for one wave, maybe they could have the small canister sets be 6 different Rahi partners for the Toa.

Oh yeah... Tahu riding a dragon comes to mind.  Gali with a sea serpent would be even better.

Speaking of Scorpio, if they did him in purple he could be a revamp of the Nui-Jaga, what with him guarding Pohatu's mask.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Another idea: Give us something like the old Ultimate Accessory Set; give us a ton of bones, shells, armor, masks, weapons, and Technic parts, and let us go wild from there. Newer parts can be added as a separate pack.

An Ultimate Accessory Set would be great! Something that could allow us to build Rahi akin to Nescent's current MoCs whilst being affordable (though that could be difficult considering the large price tags we are currently seeing).

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

Another idea: Give us something like the old Ultimate Accessory Set; give us a ton of bones, shells, armor, masks, weapons, and Technic parts, and let us go wild from there. Newer parts can be added as a separate pack.

An Ultimate Accessory Set would be great! Something that could allow us to build Rahi akin to Nescent's current MoCs whilst being affordable (though that could be difficult considering the large price tags we are currently seeing).

While something like a CCBS parts tub would be awesome, chances are there will never be anything of the sort. The tubs like the Ultimate Accessory Set seemed to exist largely to clear out parts and sets which had been overproduced relative to demand (explaining how they could justify offering such a huge quantity of parts for such a low price). Since those days Lego has worked hard to improve the efficiency of their business, and as a result that kind of rampant overproduction just doesn't happen anymore.

While something like a CCBS parts tub would be awesome, chances are there will never be anything of the sort. The tubs like the Ultimate Accessory Set seemed to exist largely to clear out parts and sets which had been overproduced relative to demand (explaining how they could justify offering such a huge quantity of parts for such a low price). Since those days Lego has worked hard to improve the efficiency of their business, and as a result that kind of rampant overproduction just doesn't happen anymore.

If we got a parts tub now it would be filled with Gali and Onua parts, due to their abundance on Target shelves :P

In all seriousness, though, it would be nice to see another one of those Master Builder sets from 2001. The Rahi added a bunch of play value to stories that children could make, and the parts produced don't necessarily have to be excess; they could build that Kit exclusively for the pieces, and getting some creatures for Okoto would liven up the island

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Honestly, I'd like to see G2 barraki. I loved the organic armor and nature-inspired vibe, and I can see it meshing really well with the new setting. Functions could include snapping claws, extendable jaws, punching features (a la mantis shrimp), etc etc etc. Of course, this would also include new, more pastelle colors and glow in the dark.

Oh my lawd this. Yes, the fusion of function and form as well as the addition of unique builds and armor! Ahhhh!!

After an afternoon of rummaging through my old sets, I had some actual input to add to the discussion.

Since people have already spoken about the real-world technical aspects (eye colors for example), I'd like to talk about aesthetics.

Someone mentioned earlier (I want to go back and check, but effort...its also 4 in the morning here in California) that they'd like to see TLG refresh our existing Toas' appearances so that they look new, but still recognizable.

I like the idea, I just grew to hate what Bionicle did throughout its whole original run, which was this:

One year:Toa!

Next year: same Toa, but transformed!

Year after: NEW Toa!

And after that: Those NEW Toa transformed!

And so on and so forth.

I'd hate to get new Toa, though, or even more heroes the same size and power of Toa next year. Consistency is king.

So, if we do end up keeping our beloved six Toa Okoto, but with new appearances, perhaps they could be freshened up like this:

1) New masks.

Yes, yes, costs, whatever. I also don't like this option nearly as much. I like what Hero Factory did, and make their recurring characters very similar to their previous incarnations, what Bionicle failed to do. However, if we get new masks, I'd like to see design consistency. Think of Tahu's original Hau, and then Lhikan's. Different, yes, but still clearly the same mask.

I think this is a good option, if new masks are to introduced. If we want story reasons, well, we know Ekimu is to be found awoken, why couldn't he make new, more powerful masks for the Toa? Perhaps these new masks carry additional powers? It'd be a cool way for Bionicle to bring back mask powers, as well as freshen up our heroes' faces.

2) New armor.

This is obviously a must. New armor and pieces is always welcome. Things like new CCBS shells and armor come to mind, but things that still provide a backdrop for customization and uniqueness.

3) New weapons.

This one is also kind of obvious, but execution could definitely be thin ice.

Like masks, I think similar weapons, but with the same recognizability would be great. It always bothered me when transformed Toa (with the exception of the Hordika) got new different weapons. If I got a power upgrade, I'd be furious if I had to learn how to use a sword, when I'd previously kicked butt with a spear. So new forms of the Toa's existing weapons would be awesome. Idea wave:

TAHU: He needs flame swords, let's face it. But new, different ones that perform the same function. Instead of Lhikan-shaped ones, perhaps his new swords could be akin to something like Ackar's from 2009? I like that.

LEWA: Easy. Instead of two single-blafed axes, give him one big, double bladed one. Keeps that recognizable look (i.e. Lewa Mata) but still shakes things up.

GALI: How about we give her an ACTUAL Elemental Trident, instead of some gigantic Axe thing with a triple pronged, wimpy blade thing on the other end? I vote for a Poseidon-esque trident. Yes.

KOPAKA: Perhaps a staff that can split into two, smaller staffs? Or a giant lance, perhaps, like Takanuva '08. Different shield, too, maybe?

ONUA: I like the idea of Onua having a drill, or maybe two. Its not a new version of the same weapon he has (a hammer/hand claw shovel things), as much as it is a new weapon with the same function.

POHATU: He's a tough one. It's hard to switch up boomarangs, probably because I for one LOVE Pohatu's new boomarangs.

Keeping with the throwing-tool motif, maybe chakrams? I'm not a huge fan of those, but they'd work.

Or maybe bladed boomarangs? Like Breeze had from Hero Factory?

Triple-armed boomarangs? But then, that's just impractical.

I really have no idea on him, someone help me out.

I think if TLG did any combo/all of these things, we could have successful "new"/powered-up Toa.

An in-story excuse for the upgrade? Same as the masks. They found Ekimu, why can't he just hook them up with new gear to fight Makuta...it whatever evil is next released?

• Upvote 2

About Pohatu.  I was tinkering around with trying to make my own 2015-style Pohatu, and after I made my boomerangs, I put them together into a compound bow.  So maybe Pohatu v.2 could have this bow-and-arrow setup, be the long-range guy of the team, then split his bow into his trademark boomerangs.

It's hard to top rocket-propelled boomerangs :P

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest