Future Set Designs

Zippo

1. More eye colors - The Masters need to have different eye colors. I would like Tahu's eye to be darker blue, Lewa's light green, Pohatu's orange, and Ouna's dark green. Kopaka light blue eyes and Gali's yellow eyes are okay.

Lewa does have light green eyes. Specifically he has Trans. Fluorescent Green eyes, the lightest shade of trans green there is (with Trans Bright Green and Trans Green being darker). Gali's eyes are also trans fluor. green, not trans yellow.

But in all seriousness, how can you tell the difference?

Difference in what? Fluorescent green and yellow? Well. One of them is green. And. The other is yellow? That's about it really.

I never actually noticed the difference... :P

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

The difference is admittedly not quite as noticeable in smaller pieces. I remember when I got Vakama Metru (my first Bionicle set) I spent a while trying to figure out what color exactly the eye stalk is. I think it becomes clear what color it is in bigger pieces though, like Pohatu's bones. Those are trans fluor. green too, and, sadly, clearly not yellow.

AXKP5KC.png

3. Sizes - I would like all the Toa to be medium-sized because it feels awkward to look at Tahu, Kopaka, and Onua as Titan-sized. It does not feel natural that way.

I'm not sure why it feels awkward, since the size difference is not very great. Onua may be wide, but he's the same height as Pohatu, the smallest of the six Toa. And Kopaka is barely any taller than Gali or Lewa. The height differences between the Toa Mahri or the Phantoka Toa Nuva were actually bigger than the height differences between the new Toa.

I would not like greater eye color differences if it meant any of the eye colors being exceptionally dark. Eye colors are a fairly negligible part of a model's color scheme anyhow.

• Upvote 1

3. Sizes - I would like all the Toa to be medium-sized because it feels awkward to look at Tahu, Kopaka, and Onua as Titan-sized. It does not feel natural that way.

I'm not sure why it feels awkward, since the size difference is not very great. Onua may be wide, but he's the same height as Pohatu, the smallest of the six Toa. And Kopaka is barely any taller than Gali or Lewa. The height differences between the Toa Mahri or the Phantoka Toa Nuva were actually bigger than the height differences between the new Toa.

I would not like greater eye color differences if it meant any of the eye colors being exceptionally dark. Eye colors are a fairly negligible part of a model's color scheme anyhow.

For me the size is kind of too big. I mean, these  things are huge! The Protectors are good sized, but the Toa are just too large. The only Toa I have is Kopaka, but he is pretty clunky. I'm not opposed to change, but to me, the Toa are too expensive, and too dang big.

• Upvote 1

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

For me the size is kind of too big. I mean, these things are huge! The Protectors are good sized, but the Toa are just too large. The only Toa I have is Kopaka, but he is pretty clunky. I'm not opposed to change, but to me, the Toa are too expensive, and too dang big.

I don't have a problem with the Toa's size. Again, they're similar in size to the Toa Mahri or Phantoka, but less scrawny and with gear functions. I will agree that when Hero Factory was going, I had certainly not pictured new Toa being this size. I'd doodled my own CCBS Toa revamps that were closer to the classic Toa Mata size, with similar piece counts, imagined at around a $10 price point. But with that said, I like the new Toa way better than anything I could have visualized at that point, since the more Mahri-like range of sizes gives them more functionality and variety than any of the $9 or $10 Hero Factory heroes I was basing my concepts on.

• Upvote 2

For me the size is kind of too big. I mean, these things are huge! The Protectors are good sized, but the Toa are just too large. The only Toa I have is Kopaka, but he is pretty clunky. I'm not opposed to change, but to me, the Toa are too expensive, and too dang big.

I don't have a problem with the Toa's size. Again, they're similar in size to the Toa Mahri or Phantoka, but less scrawny and with gear functions. I will agree that when Hero Factory was going, I had certainly not pictured new Toa being this size. I'd doodled my own CCBS Toa revamps that were closer to the classic Toa Mata size, with similar piece counts, imagined at around a $10 price point. But with that said, I like the new Toa way better than anything I could have visualized at that point, since the more Mahri-like range of sizes gives them more functionality and variety than any of the $9 or $10 Hero Factory heroes I was basing my concepts on.

That's one of the reasons I wish they were smaller. I can't afford all the Toa. I can't afford around $90, along with $60 for all the Protectors, AND $15 for the Lord of Skull Spiders. I would have preferred smaller sizes(These things are hard to display with little room). I like having Bionicle back though. But the size is just a minor nitpick I have. The other would just be for the sets to be more Technic-y, and I got that with LoSS. I really want that set.

That's one of the reasons I wish they were smaller. I can't afford all the Toa. I can't afford around $90, along with $60 for all the Protectors, AND $15 for the Lord of Skull Spiders. I would have preferred smaller sizes(These things are hard to display with little room). I like having Bionicle back though. But the size is just a minor nitpick I have. The other would just be for the sets to be more Technic-y, and I got that with LoSS. I really want that set.

LOSS is a good set. It takes longer to build it than the toa, but it's worth it. My set ended up missing a piece, but I had 5 spares from my Pohatu set so no worries.

That's one of the reasons I wish they were smaller. I can't afford all the Toa. I can't afford around $90, along with $60 for all the Protectors, AND $15 for the Lord of Skull Spiders. I would have preferred smaller sizes(These things are hard to display with little room). I like having Bionicle back though. But the size is just a minor nitpick I have. The other would just be for the sets to be more Technic-y, and I got that with LoSS. I really want that set.

LOSS is a good set. It takes longer to build it than the toa, but it's worth it. My set ended up missing a piece, but I had 5 spares from my Pohatu set so no worries.

The price point is a plus. $15 for a awesome Technic-y set? That's less than the cheaper Technic sets! I hope the Skull Villains have the same price. I think the Mask Maker Vs. Skull Grinder set will be $25-$30, that's a good price to pay for a Skull Villain and Ekimmu, with the Mask of Creation. I really want to know what the Winter Wave of Villains will be. 

I hope they are Technic-y.

But another thing I want with the next wave is to keep the colorful sets PLEASE. I bought the Protector of Fire, and by all that is good, he is amazing. I love the design, but I also love the colors. I put him in the window, and light to me makes him look shiny. I didn't really like the Metru colors, though I love the sets, because compared to the Toa Mata, the Mata just stand out more because of they're bright colors. I hope we keep the brightness.

Edited by Vokaru Mistika

The price point is a plus. $15 for a awesome Technic-y set? That's less than the cheaper Technic sets! I hope the Skull Villains have the same price. I think the Mask Maker Vs. Skull Grinder set will be $25-$30, that's a good price to pay for a Skull Villain and Ekimmu, with the Mask of Creation. I really want to know what the Winter Wave of Villains will be.

I hope they are Technic-y.

Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder is $30. All the other Skull villains are $15.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder is $30. All the other Skull villains are $15.

I hope I can afford that. That set is amazing

Edit: Large mess of quotes removed. Try to watch out for that.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

In terms of builds, all I want is for them to stick with the CCBS, stick with gearboxes or similar systems, not devolve into the hyper-greebled nonsense that G1 did, and add in more recolours.

In terms of sets, I'm not really sure. I'd like to see more beastlike creatures, but I wouldn't want Bionicle to go too organic at all - the whole USP of it is that it's mechanoids controlling elemental magic or something. I think it'd also be interesting to integrate some more culturally-driven design routes - Samurai Toa anyone? 

• Upvote 2

In terms of builds, all I want is for them to stick with the CCBS, stick with gearboxes or similar systems, not devolve into the hyper-greebled nonsense that G1 did, and add in more recolours.

In terms of sets, I'm not really sure. I'd like to see more beastlike creatures, but I wouldn't want Bionicle to go too organic at all - the whole USP of it is that it's mechanoids controlling elemental magic or something. I think it'd also be interesting to integrate some more culturally-driven design routes - Samurai Toa anyone? 

In terms of recolors, I'd like to see some actual maroon bone parts, that'd be sick. :)

Also, I'd love to see some official wildlife, just won't be Bionicle without it.

|

In terms of recolors, I'd like to see some actual maroon bone parts, that'd be sick. :)

Also, I'd love to see some official wildlife, just won't be Bionicle without it.

Not sure if they'd suit your purposes, but Black Phantom included Dark Red limb beams in 6M and 9M "B" varieties (the style with a knee/elbow joint rather than a wrist/ankle joint). They were actually the first Dark Red elements in the CCBS. I suppose they'd be cool for BIONICLE, but so far the BIONICLE sets have gotten quite a bit of mileage out of beams in neutral solid colors and bright transparent colors, and I wouldn't mind seeing that continue. It'd be great to have transparent beams in more sizes.

Wildlife would be awesome indeed. Maybe some animal companions for the Toa or villagers too, in the spirit of animals like Ussal crabs and Gukko birds. Besides just making for interesting builds, creatures are also often a great opportunity for creative action features.

Edited by Aanchir

What I would be interested in is more vehicles. If not, I would be interested in animal mounts. I'd like to see Tahu on a horse-like set looking awesome.

-Tomdroidser

Featuring: Arkham Firefly/The LEGO Movie Quiz

Now Entering: The Rise of DarkSaber
Two personal thanks to Black Six for Proto Boost.
(Expired) Topics: HF MOC BBC #69 Entry: Jaller Inika Rebuilt 

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

What I would be interested in is more vehicles. If not, I would be interested in animal mounts. I'd like to see Tahu on a horse-like set looking awesome.

-Tomdroidser

I agree. I always wanted the Battle Vehicles, and I wouldn't mind seeing them return.

Rahi, on the other hand, are a must.They are one of the key elements of Bionicle. The Bionicle aren't robots, they are Bio-Mechanical, so the Rahi would also make sense. I am in favor of big or small Rahi sets.

I feel like lego may be more cautious with future sets and opt not to go too high in price. I was recently looking at some 2001 sets and at the time bionicle had such a huge price range, from 2.99 to almost 90 dollars, and that just doesn't seem like something lego would do now.

In terms of CCBS vs tradional and switching between them, the one thing I hate about CCBS is that it's hard to make a small set. I can't see any way to go smaller than the protectors with a humanoid set and that means that other than rahi, any matoran or turaga are going to be limited at 10 bucks.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

I'd like to see some toa robes or master robes for Bionicle, I always loved robes or gi that covered the legs with the torso piece.

That would be possible since they included a cape with Furno XL from Hero Factory.

• Upvote 1

:m_p:  :i:  :s:  :h:  Kopaka.png  :i:  :s:  :s:  :e:  :l:

"INTJ PROUD;" 80788-81311-MI

No, but what I loved about 2001 was that canister sets were $4.99!

$7.99, or in today's money almost $11.  The sets also had about 1/3 of the pieces the current $20 sets have.  And fewer pieces than even this wave's $10 sets.

• Upvote 4

OpAXNpl.jpg

I feel like lego may be more cautious with future sets and opt not to go too high in price. I was recently looking at some 2001 sets and at the time bionicle had such a huge price range, from 2.99 to almost 90 dollars, and that just doesn't seem like something lego would do now.

In terms of CCBS vs tradional and switching between them, the one thing I hate about CCBS is that it's hard to make a small set. I can't see any way to go smaller than the protectors with a humanoid set and that means that other than rahi, any matoran or turaga are going to be limited at 10 bucks.

I think the difficulty of making a small set these days has less to do with CCBS and more with design standards being higher. In G1, most small sets were either cloned designs or simplistic builds like the Agori. Today, that doesn't fly. The 2014 Hero Factory poly bag sets showed you could make a compelling small figure at below a $10 price point, and I'm sure even in G2 BIONICLE a simple $5, 20-some piece villager or creature set would be possible if you didn't give them such elaborate weapons as the Protectors have. But making six of them that are different enough to justify their existence is a trickier prospect. Especially since their play value might also be lacking compared to the larger sets.

• Upvote 2

I'd like more non-humanoid builds. It's the main reason why I'm hype for LOSS & the Skull Spiders.

Agreed. I want more Rahi builds.

Yup, I've seen lots of hate for Skull Scorpio (and I have to say I do agree with lots of the criticisms) but personally I'm really hyped, he's going to be one of the first ones I get just for his uniqueness.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

I'd like more non-humanoid builds. It's the main reason why I'm hype for LOSS & the Skull Spiders.

Yup, I've seen lots of hate for Skull Scorpio (and I have to say I do agree with lots of the criticisms) but personally I'm really hyped, he's going to be one of the first ones I get just for his uniqueness.

I'd like to see some normal wildlife and then some skeletal wildlife, like zombie life(?)

|

Digitigrade legs. Why we not have these yet?

Looking at your profile pic, I know exactly why you've got that on the brain  :P I can relate though, it'd be cool! However, I have found that digitigrade legs are a little trickier to pose and balance a figure on, at least with humanoid builds. 

Edited by Logan McOwen

• 4 weeks later...

I want some beastly sets that are far superior to the ones from the Savage Planet line. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I want some beastly sets that are far superior to the ones from the Savage Planet line. 

Something like the Makuta Mistika would be cool.  The concept of them being half humanoid and half Rahi was cool.  Execution might have left something to be desired but I DID like the idea.

He's one of those sets you get for the sole purpose of rebuilding into something better =P

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I'm definitely for seeing wildlife/bigger sets. I feel like a build that has a heavy technic basis merged with CCBS could be amazing, especially for larger creatures. Dragons, tigers, and lizards come to mind. I'm not so much on vehicles since that seems to be a little outside of what the setting for Okoto would offer, but even a set like a normal villager with a cart or something would be neat.

Personally, and as unlikely as it is, I'm all for a mix of system and Bionicle in creating settings. Like a set with two villagers and a system-built shrine for the goldern masks. A forge set that includes Makuta before he created the Mask of Ultimate Power, with a few recolored Protector masks (maybe solid colors) and a system-built forge and table.

I'd rather not see new masks for the Toa as much as recolors, as others have said. Blended silver and normal colors sounds neat and would fit with the blended gold/trans colors we're seeing in the summer wave. I'd still love to see blended gold/trans colored Masks of Water and Fire, which are oddly absent from this years sets. I'm still holding out for some sort of promotional polybag with them later on.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing fauna/villager sets either, kind of in the vein of Takua & Pewku and Jaller & Gukko. A larger technic/CCBS creature with some sort of function alongside a villager, which includes the possibility of recolored masks.

I, of course, also approve of more colors for bones and shells. I'd definitely like to see different bone colors besides grey and black, and some of the darker shades for shells wouldn't be too bad either, such as dark green, blue, and red. I'd like to see more shells as well, besides the basic shell shape they all come in. More attachments would suffice as well, and I think the ones we've seen this year give me hope that next year will perhaps provide more. I think the "overuse" comes from Lego testing out the idea of these attachments, seeing if people want more or they'd rather have something else.

I'm loving the gear functions as well, and I always love seeing rubber bands there too. If they make more complicated models I wouldn't mind seeing stuff like pneumatics and motors work their way in, although that's extremely unlikely. I can dream though!

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I think it becomes clear what color it is in bigger pieces though, like Pohatu's bones. Those are trans fluor. green too, and, sadly, clearly not yellow.

WHAT????

Wow, I never even noticed that. I thought they were yellow.

Anyway, I would love to see Turaga-esque capes for the Protectors. (Kind of like the ones seen in Mask of Light.)

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I noticed that this years villains weren't anything like what we'd seen before, so assuming lego continues this maybe next years villains will be something like serpents, kinda like the snake people from ninjago. 

I will say, that is a pretty good idea. All the more beastly villians we've had in Bionicle are mostly insectoid, so a serpent would be a cool idea. Half snake(lower body), and a Protector fused together. Awesome.

EDIT FROM EARLIER  POSTS- I recently picked up Toa Gali, and I have to say, I'm impressed. The colors work, I love the mask, and it is a awesome looking set. I guess Kopaka felt big and clunky to me due to the beefed up legs and upper body. Can't wait for the summer wave :D

• Upvote 1

I noticed that this years villains weren't anything like what we'd seen before, so assuming lego continues this maybe next years villains will be something like serpents, kinda like the snake people from ninjago. 

I will say, that is a pretty good idea. All the more beastly villians we've had in Bionicle are mostly insectoid, so a serpent would be a cool idea. Half snake(lower body), and a Protector fused together. Awesome.

Plus snakes would actually make a good replacement for skull spiders. 

It's time to move on.

EDIT FROM EARLIER  POSTS- I recently picked up Toa Gali, and I have to say, I'm impressed. The colors work, I love the mask, and it is a awesome looking set. I guess Kopaka felt big and clunky to me due to the beefed up legs and upper body. Can't wait for the summer wave :D

I just picked up Gali as well, and she is one of my favorites of the winter wave! 

I agree about the serpent idea, except it would be even better if they were in the form of revamped Rahkshi...

Edited by Shadow Destroyer
  • Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

I want better color schemes. Brown and fluorescent green do not a pleasant combination make. Neither does fluorescent green and bright orange on gunmetal grey.

I think more molded detail would be nice too. The printed detail on the current chestpieces is pretty neat, but imagine if the skull sets all had proper ribcages instead. Like Tridax Pod launchers without the pods.

Oh, and more masks! Something I liked about the 2001 sets was how much variation there was in all the masks and colors.

Edited by Observance

No, but what I loved about 2001 was that canister sets were $4.99!

$7.99, or in today's money almost $11.  The sets also had about 1/3 of the pieces the current $20 sets have.  And fewer pieces than even this wave's $10 sets.

Don't give me this. Brutaka cost $20 - 193 pieces. Tahu cost $20 -89 pieces. 

You'll say, "inflation!" and "higher petroleum prices means higher plastic prices!"

I'll say, "People are making the same amount or less than they were in 2006, while we've had constant inflation and increasing prices." That doesn't make it okay. I feel like a lot of people try to gloss over how expensive Bionicles (and LEGOs in general) are getting. I am not trying to force this fact down anyone's throat, but price is not something that you guys should just dismiss so quickly. 

Edited by Wazdakka

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?