BZPower's Word Filter and You

Black Six

I've been on this forum for a little over six months now, and terms such as ##### which I assume your example is referring to, appear to have been in use since well before then.

So I'm not entirely sure what you mean when you say these instances are "recent". 

Edited by GSR
Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to bypass the filter in response to an admin asking you to not bypass the filter.

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

*cough*Tyler*cough*

I'm not going to get into a measuring contest with you. All I ask is that you kindly provide me with a box of Band-Aids for all the edge on your post.

re: filter: Okay.

-Tyler

Edited by tylerlicious definicious
  • Upvote 10

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Well, you're the one I've noticed it from the most. And you're a staff member, so...

I'm guessing, then, that you don't read the judged RPGs. Which is, I'm willing to bet, what started this.

In addition, Aaron tends to tell me when there's something in a post of mine that really wouldn't fly by the filter, and he asks me to edit it and I do. I always say 'okay' and edit it, because, believe it or not, I'm not in the market for a proto drop.

Considering I was already offered your Skype address and the chance to go in on you personally, and the fact that it's too early for me to get fired up, I'm gonna go ahead and call this conversation over. Thank you for reading my posts though : )

-Tyler

Edited by tylerlicious definicious
  • Upvote 1

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

I for one never really feel the need to bypass the filter, because for some odd reason, I think that "#####" has a certain charm to it.

Anyways.

I doubt most skakdi would argue with it, though.

Uuuuuuuum... Just to be on the safe side... Don't use it. Unless your character is deliberately trying to insult Skakdi for plot purposes/it's in character for them, then by all means go for it, but expect some backlash IC. As well, Son of a Muaka and Son of a Brakas roll off the tongue better.

Skakdi isn't the swear anyways. It's Piraka. That only refers to a specific group of Skakdi who took on the name because it is an in-universe swear. Not racist, just a swear.

As far as I'm concerned, the equatable swears of the Bionicle universe are Karz/Karzahni, Piraka, and Brakas. Those cover all of my needs in RPing, so I'm good.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

Skakdi isn't the swear anyways. It's Piraka. That only refers to a specific group of Skakdi who took on the name because it is an in-universe swear. Not racist, just a swear.

As far as I'm concerned, the equatable swears of the Bionicle universe are Karz/Karzahni, Piraka, and Brakas. Those cover all of my needs in RPing, so I'm good.

Yeah, if I ever feel the need to have one of my characters curse, I generally use the standard karz/karzahni/muaka stuff.

Assuming I don't just make up gibberish.

what is this filter? Is it just converting selected words to multiple #s thus blocking delicate eyes from seeing them, or do they convert them to less offensive language such as "F" into "Fruit you"?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

what is this filter? Is it just converting selected words to multiple #s thus blocking delicate eyes from seeing them, or do they convert them to less offensive language such as "F" into "Fruit you"?

The filter converts profanity into strings of hashes (#####), but the filter won't catch a bad word if you purposefully misspell it or combine it with other words: it'll show up just like it is. That's called "bypassing the word filter," and it's very much discouraged. :)

Thanks for the warning, Six. We'll keep it ship-shape around here, I promise.

• Upvote 1

You'll never learn, Nato :P

*Continued laughter at Nato*

*cough*Tyler*cough*

I'm guessing, then, that you don't read the judged RPGs. Which is, I'm willing to bet, what started this.

A public service announcement: these are not posts you should be making.  The purpose of this thread is not to make fun of other members, or to start pointing fingers.  The purpose of this thread is to remind everyone that the filter exists for a reason, and "it's imperfect" does not translate to "anything goes that it doesn't catch."

• Upvote 10

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Im going to ask something in which I have been guilty of in the past. In an RPG, if you character swears and you deliberately type the hash key multiple times is that against the rules also?

That's perfectly fine.

Most swear words are filtered to hash marks as we do not want such language on the site.

The purpose of this thread is to remind everyone that the filter exists for a reason, and "it's imperfect" does not translate to "anything goes that it doesn't catch."

Exactly. We can't possibly think up every possible word and every possible spelling, misspelling, or 'leet' version of the word and include that into the filter. If you think something is not appropriate, don't type it. Just because that specific word isn't in the filter doesn't mean it's okay to say.
  • Upvote 9

Im going to ask something in which I have been guilty of in the past. In an RPG, if you character swears and you deliberately type the hash key multiple times is that against the rules also?

That's perfectly fine.

Good to know. Cheers man.

Edited by CeeCee

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

A public service announcement: these are not posts you should be making.  The purpose of this thread is not to make fun of other members, or to start pointing fingers.  The purpose of this thread is to remind everyone that the filter exists for a reason, and "it's imperfect" does not translate to "anything goes that it doesn't catch."

Oops. Well, there's not much I can do now besides apologizing and promising that I won't do it in the future, should any similar threads appear.

• Upvote 1

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

Wait, so is:

This includes if you combine a swear with a Bionicle or other fictional word, such as "Karzahni."

this saying that we can't say "Karzahni!" as a mock-expletive?

I'm guessing not, but I don't really see another way of interpreting that.

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Wait, so is:

This includes if you combine a swear with a Bionicle or other fictional word, such as "Karzahni."

It means exactly what it says: don't combine fictional words (such as "Karzhani") with real life profanity. That counts as bypassing the word filter.

Wait, so is:

I've bolded the key word for you. 'Karzahni', 'Karz' etc are fine; combining them with real-life profanities is not.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I've seen certain Bionicle terms simply having "ed" or "ing" added to the end. Does that actually constitute a filter bypass or not? I'm trying to discern what terms I'm going to be allowed to use, since the ones I usually use apparently are filter bypasses. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I've seen certain Bionicle terms simply having "ed" or "ing" added to the end. Does that actually constitute a filter bypass or not?

Not in the slightest; why would making a made-up word into a verb be offensive to anyone? It's only a problem if you're using said word in conjunction with real-world offensive terms.

I'd give you an example, but...well... :P

Edited by Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png