Okoto Cartography!

Munty

Hey guys, I've been a bit in and out this week since people started receiving their Hero Packs so I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but I haven't seen it so I'll put it up and hope not!

This is a scan I took of the Okoto map that came with my own Hero Pack and it's come out pretty well so thought I'd share it with everyone who hasn't seen it yet (and those who have!) There seem to be a few points of interest but mysteriously the city of ancients doesn't appear to be shown. I haven't checked the videos yet to see if all the Gold mask locations match up with the animations we've seen but it's pretty clear that at least Tahu's does. Even this should probably be taken with a pinch of salt though as we already saw a variation of this scene in the short comic (in the instructions) which is even included with this polybag and clearly shows Tahu getting his mask from outside in a relatively barren looking area. So who knows if the animation version is final or not!

Anyway, here it is!

Okoto%20Nui_zpsvoh8qqaz.jpg 

• Upvote 8

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Oh Very nice upload... Hero pack... Is that the Trans Orange mask of fire lego is giving away or something else?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Indeed it is! Give me a second, I'll dcan the packaging and stick it up somewhere in the collectibles thread so people can see the funky mask on it!

So does that mean it is American released? darn I thought it wasn't coming out until March...

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

No dude I'm in the UK! I think that MArch date has been pretty much confirmed for the US though so not too long to wait I guess! Here's a link to the bag, I won't post it in here as this is a topic about the map not the promotion ;) Hero Pack

We THINK it should be in the centre as that's the location it's shown to be in on the mobile game. It doesn't seem to be displayed on the map though. No other cities or settlements are cisible either though so it's likely they wanted to keep it vague to allow for the addition of further locations later I imagine.

The hole caused by the MoUP catastrophe is clearly visible however and HUGE! Especially considering that the city of ancients is pretty massive itself and isn't visible at all...

I still think that the alleged explosion that shows on the clip could be where the city was, unless the Mask makers were not making masks in the city. Having not played the mobile version I don't know about the City being in the center of the island. It seems viable though based on looking at this map. I mean the city itself is seen in a mountainous region and the center of the island is quite mountainous....

Onua.png

Try this screenshot from the app. The icon in the middle takes you to a boss level where you fight a LoSS on what is clearly the bridge to that city.

B6x1KrXCIAAwxxP.jpg

Also, if the explosion happened in the city then it would have been completely obliterated. We know that's not the case for many reasons. A good piece of evidence is the image of all the Toa looking out over the city. They arrived long after the explosion so clearly it wasn't destroyed :)

Well then I'll have to say that I know agree with the general media in that the Great City is the hearth of the island. Both due to appearing on a mountain and this screen cap of the game showing where a boss fight is. Also we know the Game's Boss fight of the LoSS matches the pulled clip of the Toa fighting the same LoSS as they try to enter the fabled city. That brings me to the idea that while I hold true to the idea that Makuta put on the MoUP promptly after completing it. They must not have been in the great city when he crafted it. Thus why the explosion from their short bout being in the sand/stone region.

Onua.png

I must admit I'm confused about the chronology of this event as well. I think there's probably just the one great forge but more smaller ones are an interesting thought. Of course there are only 2 mask makers so it would seem like overkill. And it would also make sense if any forges located in the various regions would only be able to work in that single element hence why the great forge exists where the regions meet. In this case it would be the only place where the MoUP could be forged...

The best suggestion I've heard so far is that Makuta snuck off before trying on the mask so Ekimu wouldn't know but Ekimu followed him and so was able to knock it off him almost immediately. It'll certainly be interesting to find out for real anyway!

Nah, they don't match up with the animations, minus Pohatu's.

Map!

Weirdly enough, the map that is included in the Hero Pack seems more accurate to the animations than the animation version itself. Not a big deal though - seems the inconsistency came about due to simplification of art style.

I think it's pretty safe to assume the depiction of the Golden Mask retrieval seen in the animations is the most canon. Most of the story material comes from that source, whereas the comics found on the boxes are simply promotional material that may or may not adhere to the events told online.

Finally, the map is awesome. Love the art style and detail. Can't wait to get my Hero Pack!!!

-NotS

Edit: Please link to images over 750 kB!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

tahubanner.jpg

Sweet map, Munty! Thanks for sharing.

I was very impressed by all the detailed maps we got over the years... Mata Nui, Metru Nui, Voya Nui, Mahri Nui, even Bara Magna! A shame the story didn't go on longer so that we could get a Spherus Magna map. Now that would have been amazing.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

Nah, they don't match up with the animations, minus Pohatu's.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/aazz09/bionicle2015/map.png

Weirdly enough, the map that is included in the Hero Pack seems more accurate to the animations than the animation version itself. Not a big deal though - seems the inconsistency came about due to simplification of art style.

I think it's pretty safe to assume the depiction of the Golden Mask retrieval seen in the animations is the most canon. Most of the story material comes from that source, whereas the comics found on the boxes are simply promotional material that may or may not adhere to the events told online.

Finally, the map is awesome. Love the art style and detail. Can't wait to get my Hero Pack!!!

-NotS

Hey NotS, where is this map from? I would VERY strongly suggest that this particular image doesn't represent any fixed locations like where the Toa landed or found their golden masks. See how all 6 images are in the eact middle of their regions? I think that image is just to show newcomers to the franchise that each toa has it's own area/element and that this is where they all are...

After all, we KNOW Tahu got his Golden Mask in a volcano and in that image his icon is displayed in the middle of nowhere. Not even particularly close to any of the three existing volcanoes... In fact I believe in the animation that shows him crash landing we appear to be on a plateau rather than in a valley don't we? In which case the animations would discredit that map as far as representing any particular locations goes...

(Edit: Large quoted image linked.

-Wind-)

Edited by -Windrider-

Question: How can the map in the hero pack be more actuate to the animation map than the animation map... seems kind of a weird way of saying something.

Onua.png

Question: How can the map in the hero pack be more actuate to the animation map than the animation map... seems kind of a weird way of saying something.

The animations are very basic and have been massively simplified. Do you think the sets of the Toa are less accurate than the comic representations? This is clearly not the case as the cartoon versions are appallingly defined and Onua is the size of a small zip code... A direct comparison of the two maps immediately shows that the one from the animation is appallingly detailed while the one from the polybag is hugely better quality and higher resolution. This is an indisputable fact available to anyone with functioning  eyeballs.

It's also made VERY clear that the polybag map shows the locations of the golden masks as, not only are the icons depicting them gold themselves, but they actually have arrows indicationg a specific location on the map rather than the animation which just shows a representation of each toa, therefore almost certainly meant to represent their general area.

For anyone still unconvinced, Kopaka's territory is a good example. His mask is shown on a mountain ridge when we know he found his golden mask on an ice mountain. This mountain is clearly depicted in the polybag map and indicated by the golden mask icon. In the animation map you can just barely make out the landmark at all. So it looks like this map IS accurate but simply so basic that many landmarks are invisible. 

And again I would suggest it's pretty unlikely that each toa landed EXACTLY in the centre of their respective regions. though there is of course no reason why this could not have happened... An image of Kopaka's landing would help as if it does not show him landing on rocky mountains then my theories are confirmed ;)

Well I posted images of each toa emerging from a smoldering hole just outside a village. So if they are lead to be believed Each Toa arrived at whatever location their respective elemental village is. Make of them what you will.

So a slight change of subject, has anyone noticed the arrival pics for the new Toa look uncanny similar almost as if there was a single image the artists drew and basically superimposed the colors and Toa/Protectors onto it? Here I'll show you,

linked the thumbs:

120px-Toa_Tahu_arrival.png120px-Toa_Kopaka_arrival.png120px-Toa_Gali_arrival.png120px-Toa_Onua_arrival.png120px-Toa_Lewa_arrival.jpg120px-Toa_Pohatu_arrival.png

Tell me I am not the only one who sees this...

Onua.png

No dude I'm in the UK! I think that MArch date has been pretty much confirmed for the US though so not too long to wait I guess! Here's a link to the bag, I won't post it in here as this is a topic about the map not the promotion ;) Hero Pack

Interesting how they used the Prototype Mask of Creation on the art for the Hero Pack, rather than the current one. 

bZpOwEr

The Ancient City isn't on the map?

What about the regular pillar-shaped structures in the bottom right corner of the Region of Stone? That looks like an Ancient City to me. ;)

-It's as close to the centre of the map as you can get without being up a mountain, matching the mobile game pretty well.

-The "pillars" are also similar to the ones near the Golden Mask of Stone, and we know that that was within ruins from the animations, so those "pillars" could represent non-natural structures in both instances.

-There are cliffs or something around the area in question, somewhat separating it from the desert. Perhaps that area was more green when it was inhabited, then the desert moved in when it was abandoned (images of the Ancient City that we have include structures that look like aqueducts, which would make sense if the city was by a desert and needed extra water bringing in).

-Lastly, the location I've pointed out also makes sense based on where Makuta donned the MoUP. We know that he travelled out of the city, probably to try on his creation in secret. It would have been easiest for him to go somewhere else in the same region that the city is, otherwise he would have had to trek over one (or more) of the mountain ranges that split Okoto. Hence Region of Stone is where all the fun's at.

Edited by Xelphene
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Wow, I like this map. Can't wait to get ahold of it. Really makes the island look way bigger than Mata Nui. Though I feel like the only thing missing is some sort of temple in the center

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Huh... the picture is soo much clearer when you view it directly from Photobucket... I can tell about the pillars you were referring to but also see that it is unlikely the possible location of the City. Due in part to the pillars in question being sunk into a canyon of some sort... Seems more likely where Pohato may have found his Mask of Power instead of a possible city location...

On another note, has anyone else noticed prior to me revealing it that Gali's Golden mask is pointing to a whirlpool?

Onua.png

Huh... the picture is soo much clearer when you view it directly from Photobucket... I can tell about the pillars you were referring to but also see that it is unlikely the possible location of the City. Due in part to the pillars in question being sunk into a canyon of some sort... Seems more likely where Pohato may have found his Mask of Power instead of a possible city location...

On another note, has anyone else noticed prior to me revealing it that Gali's Golden mask is pointing to a whirlpool?

The picture is even clearer when you look at it in person. :P

Pohatu found his mask where the arrow points to, surely?

And the Ancient City may be on top of those "pillars", because judging by their size compared to the island, they are massive. Remember, pictures we have seen showed a huge drop on at least one side of the Ancient City, as well as a bridge, which fits with the city being built on the pillars.

Where else on the map fits that geography, appears to be its own area separated from the regions, and is close enough to the MoUP crater for it to be plausible that Makuta travelled from there?

While I could see that if I looked hard enough and wanted to believe as such... The City has bridges for being on a Plateau. meaning the place is not accessible by land originally. Though I could see this being a possible location as you've stated the comment was if the city was shown on the map... It is not. A possible location, perhaps... but I think we may be looking more for a single large Plateau over multiple rapidly placed ones in a canyon...

Onua.png

While I could see that if I looked hard enough and wanted to believe as such... The City has bridges for being on a Plateau. meaning the place is not accessible by land originally. Though I could see this being a possible location as you've stated the comment was if the city was shown on the map... It is not. A possible location, perhaps... but I think we may be looking more for a single large Plateau over multiple rapidly placed ones in a canyon...

From the scale of the map, I'd say those pillars could still hold a pretty large plateau on top of each one. But I guess we'll see - hopefully they give us the location of the Ancient City by Summer...

Anyway, I've posted my theory now and if it turns out right I can quote it in my signature. ;)

There are several Volcanos in the Fire region, take your pick and name it...

Onua.png