Piece Organization

Kuurai

I have always been a collector of Legos but unlike most, I keep my models intact so I do not have many to mess around with freely. Recently though, I have been buying sets purely for use of their pieces. I plan to make a Lego work station eventually and was wondering, what is the best way to organize them both storage-type-wise and convenience-wise?

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

I can't be particularly helpful here as I still haven't got round to organising my many many many boxes of spares myself... The only advice I CAN give (and highly advise following!) is start sorting it NOW! Like literally right now... Procrastination is a favourite hobby of mine but this is one of those situations where putting the job off will just make it snowball. I can't even begin to imagine how much stuff I have to go through now when I finally get around to sorting it out but it became an insurmountable task years ago and I keep getting more! 

So go and do it now, right now...

Logistically, I guess it will depend how much stuff you have/will have. Some people can use small workshop trays (for screws and bolts and such) but if you're planning on building a large collection you'll need bigger boxes, preferabbly rollable/stackable or both! Then decide how to split stuff up. Pins together, axles together, bodies together, weapons together and so on. As long as you have enough containers you can break it into as many categories as you like. Just start now while it's easy. Then adding to it will continue to be easy. Seriously...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I categorize them by type, with one container each for: Technic, 2-by-x bricks, 1-by-x bricks, plates, minifigs and accessories, slopes, special shapes (hinges, etc.), accessories (chairs, flowers...), structural pieces (doors, walls), vehichle pieces, and Bionicle. It's kind of a weird system, but I'm a weird person  :P

I really need a better signature.

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject, im thinking about getting a storage case for my LEGO/Bionicle pieces

Most of the bags (except for 3 that are in Zip-Lock baggies) are in a large container

But if im going to be attempting to rebuild my sets im going to need to organize everything and i don't want them in Plastic Baggies again

http://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-20-Inch-16-Inch-Hardware-Cabinet/dp/B003P2UOCO/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1426461694&sr=8-13&keywords=LEGO+storage

Found this when looking around - it's pretty a pretty big size and can hold a large amount; Though i wouldn't mind having Wall-Mount support, but not necessary

Would this be recommended or are there other options?

• Upvote 2

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3647-3914 - Shadow118
AC:NL Dream Address: 4000-3430-1167