Collectables for 2016 bionicle ?

Hewkii8730

This is a duplicate topic, we've discussed this topic many many times elsewhere! I'm sorry to say I can't point you to such a thread right now but perhaps a mod will be able to. In the meantime I'd suggest any more posts in this topic may be wasted as it's bound to be closed up once staff arrive :P

• Upvote 2

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

This is a duplicate topic, we've discussed this topic many many times elsewhere! I'm sorry to say I can't point you to such a thread right now but perhaps a mod will be able to. In the meantime I'd suggest any more posts in this topic may be wasted as it's bound to be closed up once staff arrive :P

All I can find is this topic, which isn't an exact duplicate. This topic can stay open, I think.

• Upvote 2

Why is everyone assuming that Bionicle 2015 is going to be like the previous years? Questions like "Will the Bohrok come back?" or "Will there be a crossover for G1 and G2" and, the most common; "Will we get mask packs?" are all too common. Listen, what were the original purpose of mask packs? (money) To provide a way to collect all of the masks that weren't in the sets. There was a total of 72 masks.  

Why on earth would they make mask packs for 18 masks, all of which are included in the sets? I suppose that the Mask of Creation and Control aren't (yet), but those will probably be released in something similar to the clear Mask of Fire.

Anyways, I don't really see any potential for collectibles in 2016, maybe trading cards or games.

Edited by Barad-dur
  • Upvote 3

Well, the idea of collecting 60-something extra masks wasn't a set decision spawning from a storyline standpoint but just the opposite. If they decided to reintroduce mask packs, the story team would have to implement the collectibles into the story.

We haven't had collectibles since 2007 so I really doubt we will get anything. But Mask Pack's would be legit.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 3

tahubanner.jpg

Why is everyone assuming that Bionicle 2015 is going to be like the previous years? Questions like "Will the Bohrok come back?" or "Will there be a crossover for G1 and G2" and, the most common; "Will we get mask packs?" are all too common. Listen, what were the original purpose of mask packs? (money) To provide a way to collect all of the masks that weren't in the sets. There was a total of 72 masks.  

Why on earth would they make mask packs for 18 masks, all of which are included in the sets? I suppose that the Mask of Creation and Control aren't (yet), but those will probably be released in something similar to the clear Mask of Fire.

Anyways, I don't really see any potential for collectibles in 2016, maybe trading cards or games.

While I feel collectibles are unlikely, your explanation as to WHY involves a dramatic misunderstanding of cause and effect.

If there hadn't been collectibles in 2001, then there wouldn't have BEEN 72 masks for the Toa to collect. The mask packs were the reason for the storyline involving a search for the masks, not the other way around. That's how merchandise-driven storytelling works—you have something to sell, and you come up with a story that makes people want to buy what you're selling.

If, hypothetically, Lego wanted to start releasing collectible masks in 2016, they wouldn't limit themselves to just 18 existing masks. Rather, they'd most likely introduce a new, wider range of masks which, unlike the masks this year, would NOT all be available in other sets. And then they'd write the story with that in mind—suddenly, instead of collecting six golden masks, the Toa would need to collect however many new masks to save Okoto from whatever new threat had arisen (said threat ALSO being made available for kids to purchase at their local toy store).

P.S.: I'm not pointing this out to criticize the story. Many of my favorite stories are based on toylines—My Little Pony, Bionicle, Ninjago, etcetera. A story can still be decent even if its primary function is to sell toys, and in fact a great story will have a better chance of selling toys than a mediocre one could even hope to have. But as a fan, understanding the way the business works can give you a greater understanding of why the story takes the direction it does, or what directions it might take next.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I wanna see some trading cards or something as collectibles. Maybe even just photo cards. 

I've been having a real craving for collecting things lately. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Yeah I detest having to buy multiples of the 'same' randomised pack to complete a collection (which is my intent), so if collectibles turn up I hope they're something somewhat divorced form the set, like Cards or other such things that I can make myself overlook even if they are really cool (looking).

I loved having the extra pieces but obtaining them... once it passes the 50 mark I tend to get somewhat irked, I had all the (non Kal) Krana, which I loved but it was a pain getting them. Also as far as Masks go ... how many variations are we looking at 'cause yeah...

Then again how many people want to see a Bionicle Cards? :s

Collectible Merchandise that doesn't integrate into sets I don't mind, easy for me to give to someone that wants them.

Yes, I count the Masks, Krana, & Kraata, as collectibles, I really wasn't a fan of the latter collectibles, although the Shadow Leeches were kind of cool... but I didn't think there was [deliberate] randomisation so I was happy :3

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Well, the idea of collecting 60-something extra masks wasn't a set decision spawning from a storyline standpoint but just the opposite. If they decided to reintroduce mask packs, the story team would have to implement the collectibles into the story.

We haven't had collectibles since 2007 so I really doubt we will get anything. But Mask Pack's would be legit.

-NotS

Well, they don't necessarily have to integrate the collectibles into the wave's storyline. They should at least be items in the overall story. Kind of like the Zamor Spheres or the Rhotuka.

And yes, I would love to see the return of mask packs. But with what we have seen so far, the significant masks have no variants, and therefore can't be collectibles as much as they are little trinkets in the Toa sets.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Perhaps the illusive red Skull Spider we see in the comic strips.

If they actually had offered that instead of everything else in the Hero Pack I would already have five of them, as it is I have precisely zero Hero Packs!

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually speak about an idea I had in a new topic that would go along with the story line, and also introduce the six masks in all six colors, the protector masks in 1 solid color, and the skull spiders in 3 new colors, E kimu is a mask maker scheduled for released in late 2015, but what if he is a teacher and his students are 6 elemental mask maker novice with builds somewhat like the protectors, with the protector masks in solid color, as well as new colored parts, like xt4 torsos, small beast feet, and fists in there respective elemental colors, and each one comes with the 6 toa masks in there respective color and a skull spider for a battle in a box experiance, for around $12.99 usd (to account for new parts and colors.

Edited by banana92

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

I actually speak about an idea I had in a new topic that would go along with the story line, and also introduce the six masks in all six colors, the protector masks in 1 solid color, and the skull spiders in 3 new colors, E kimu is a mask maker scheduled for released in late 2015, but what if he is a teacher and his students are 6 elemental mask maker novice with builds somewhat like the protectors, with the protector masks in solid color, as well as new colored parts, like xt4 torsos, small beast feet, and fists in there respective elemental colors, and each one comes with the 6 toa masks in there respective color and a skull spider for a battle in a box experiance, for around $12.99 usd (to account for new parts and colors.

As I pointed out in the article—your conceptual set may seem great for you, a fan, but it makes zero business sense for Lego. Including new, exclusive recolors in sets costs money. But collectors are going to be willing to buy whichever set offers them the most unique parts, whether that's just two or as many as six. And if a small set offers six unique masks, what reason would they have to spend twice that price on a larger set that only offers two or three masks? You're suggesting a change that would cost Lego more money for an insignificant demand increase for the small sets and a DECREASE in demand for the larger sets.

I think what needs to happen is the Hero Pack idea that Chronix had. It worked in 2002/3 with the Krana/Mask packs. Granted there were less pieces (3 Krana/2 masks versus 5 piece SS/ 1 mask), but with the molds already existing it would be a possibly promising business idea

It worked in 2001-2003, and the set focus again is on collecting the golden masks, so why not have them collect new masks next year? Currently we have no hints towards where the story is going, and combining the Hero Pack idea with the 6 mask maker apprentices idea would work out, both story wise and business wise. The 6 sets would have to only be the figure, mind you, without the 6 masks in each set

Plus we could introduce new masks, depending on where the story goes. As for right now, it is all up in the air, but with most of the people on BZP and other lego forum sites requesting mask packs again I could see it beings a good business move

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I want more Hero Packs. One mask, one Skull Spider and maybe some stickers or something. 

Well, with different colored masks and spiders of course. Perhaps the illusive red Skull Spider we see in the comic strips.

This would be a good idea as long as they are available everywhere, not just through a Lego store or S&H.

• Upvote 1

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I want more Hero Packs. One mask, one Skull Spider and maybe some stickers or something. 

Well, with different colored masks and spiders of course. Perhaps the illusive red Skull Spider we see in the comic strips.

This would be a good idea as long as they are available everywhere, not just through a Lego store or S&H.

I doubt we'd see any such sets available EVERYWHERE, since the main purpose of a promotional set like that is to draw customers to a particular place of business. The only polybag sets which are ever really widely available are typically ones without exclusive parts or recolors—in other words, a Hero Pack which was available everywhere might only include Masks or Spiders which are already available in other sets.

• Upvote 1

I would like collectibles, but only if there was a way of knowing what you were getting when you buy a pack or something. Buying multiple packs just to maybe get one thing could get very frustrating very fast.

Edited by Kung Fu Pyro

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I want more Hero Packs. One mask, one Skull Spider and maybe some stickers or something. Well, with different colored masks and spiders of course. Perhaps the illusive red Skull Spider we see in the comic strips.

I doubt we'd see any such sets available EVERYWHERE, since the main purpose of a promotional set like that is to draw customers to a particular place of business. The only polybag sets which are ever really widely available are typically ones without exclusive parts or recolors—in other words, a Hero Pack which was available everywhere might only include Masks or Spiders which are already available in other sets.

Well, the final product wouldn't be the polybag exactly, this is just an idea for a similar product that might work :P

Besides the Krana packs were boxes in NA and Polybags in Europe so it isn't a stretch to see recoloured parts in them, plus the Chima Bear polybag this year has an exclusive figure not found anywhere else, so that might bode well for future Polybags

Ya gotta have some optimism for the products, hehe :P

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I want more Hero Packs. One mask, one Skull Spider and maybe some stickers or something. Well, with different colored masks and spiders of course. Perhaps the illusive red Skull Spider we see in the comic strips.

Well, the final product wouldn't be the polybag exactly, this is just an idea for a similar product that might work :P

Besides the Krana packs were boxes in NA and Polybags in Europe so it isn't a stretch to see recoloured parts in them, plus the Chima Bear polybag this year has an exclusive figure not found anywhere else, so that might bode well for future Polybags

Ya gotta have some optimism for the products, hehe :P

Firstly, the Krana packs were more than ten years ago—and if they had been successful, we wouldn't be having this discussion of how ELSE to implement collectibles. Secondly, the Chima Bear polybag's fig is only "exclusive" insofar as the full set containing him (Bladvic's Rumble Bear) is not due out until the summer.

I am plenty optimistic for future promotional masks, but I temper that optimism with realism. That includes the acknowledgment that a set like the Hero Pack can only really justify its own existence if it comes with some degree of exclusivity. In other words, unless it's a limited release gift-with-purchase or giveaway, it doesn't really achieve any sales advantage.

Now, that said—I just considered another way that a promotional mask (or even more than one promotional mask) could be released. Last year, Target released a Minifigure Gift Set with pre-assembled minifigures from four different themes. This year, a similar set has been leaked (I believe in an accidental Lego.com reveal), although the details of its release remain unknown. I don't know the likelihood of this, but it would certainly be interesting if either a future set of this sort included a Bionicle mask, or potentially, if a set of FOUR masks were released in a similar packaging style! Obviously this, too, would be a limited-release item if it DID happen, but either way it could be a fantastic way to release one or more exclusive masks and promote the theme. The concept would not be entirely unlike the classic Bionicle Power Pack—a high quality, highly collectible gift item that, while pricier than any gift-with-purchase would otherwise be, would be highly sought after. Keep in mind that this is just an idea—I'm not sure how feasible it would be or whether its promotional effectiveness would outweigh the cost to produce it. But Lego has introduced a wide variety of promo items since Bionicle's end, so taking a look at those and considering how those methods could be applied to Bionicle can be more enlightening than just considering what Bionicle had done so many years ago!

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Well, the final product wouldn't be the polybag exactly, this is just an idea for a similar product that might work :PBesides the Krana packs were boxes in NA and Polybags in Europe so it isn't a stretch to see recoloured parts in them, plus the Chima Bear polybag this year has an exclusive figure not found anywhere else, so that might bode well for future PolybagsYa gotta have some optimism for the products, hehe :P
Firstly, the Krana packs were more than ten years ago—and if they had been successful, we wouldn't be having this discussion of how ELSE to implement collectibles. Secondly, the Chima Bear polybag's fig is only "exclusive" insofar as the full set containing him (Bladvic's Rumble Bear) is not due out until the summer.I am plenty optimistic for future promotional masks, but I temper that optimism with realism. That includes the acknowledgment that a set like the Hero Pack can only really justify its own existence if it comes with some degree of exclusivity. In other words, unless it's a limited release gift-with-purchase or giveaway, it doesn't really achieve any sales advantage.Now, that said—I just considered another way that a promotional mask (or even more than one promotional mask) could be released. Last year, Target released a Minifigure Gift Set with pre-assembled minifigures from four different themes. This year, a similar set has been leaked (I believe in an accidental Lego.com reveal), although the details of its release remain unknown. I don't know the likelihood of this, but it would certainly be interesting if either a future set of this sort included a Bionicle mask, or potentially, if a set of FOUR masks were released in a similar packaging style! Obviously this, too, would be a limited-release item if it DID happen, but either way it could be a fantastic way to release one or more exclusive masks and promote the theme. The concept would not be entirely unlike the classic Bionicle Power Pack—a high quality, highly collectible gift item that, while pricier than any gift-with-purchase would otherwise be, would be highly sought after. Keep in mind that this is just an idea—I'm not sure how feasible it would be or whether its promotional effectiveness would outweigh the cost to produce it. But Lego has introduced a wide variety of promo items since Bionicle's end, so taking a look at those and considering how those methods could be applied to Bionicle can be more enlightening than just considering what Bionicle had done so many years ago!

I think you're misunderstanding the Hero Pack idea: yes, the current one is a GWP type of promotion, but the ones envisioned would only be similar in terms of contents; one mask, one skull spider, both in new colour variants. The Hero Pack polybag works well for promotional reasons, as it promotes the brand and generates interest. Plus the past successes of mask packs can only be looked at nowadays as sample projections. The market is different, with new kids (whom, I might add, love collecting items, ranging from Skylanders to Pokemon cards) to old fans (who have expressed interest in purchasing mask packs again)

In addition, the Hero Pack doesn't have to 'justify its own existence' with an exclusive item. The exclusive item was merely a bonus, since other packs of the sort (i.e. the Chima promotional packet given away only had a small structure, a minifigure, and some colouring pages; no exclusive items there) didn't have those exclusive items. It's merely there to promote interest in the brand, like I said earlier

And no offense, but the Target Minifigure Gift Set, in my opinion, wouldn't be the best way to promote Bionicle. First of all, it's store exclusive; Target recently announced it's closure in Canada, and it doesn't exist in any other country than the U.S. It would be hard to locate those exclusive items anywhere else in the world if the stores don't exist anywhere else in the world. Secondly, it was with a minimum purchase od $30 I believe. That right there takes away a lot of the 'free exclusive item thing. If they wants o make another set akin got he power pack, make another power pack. The four mask idea wouldn't make sense, and neither would including a single mask in a pack of minifugres; the figures themselves work across the board, and suddenly throwing in a Bionicle mask where it couldn't be used would just confuse a lot of consumers who aren't in the know

Anyways, this topic was about collectable packs and what we want to see, not promotional items, so let's try and get the topic back on track

Like I said earlier, I'd enjoy he idea of mask packs including a couple masks in various colours, as well as maybe a Skull Spider. They could also make a mask 'super pack' with collectable shrines, where the pack comes with a mask shrine and one or two of the mask packs

In addition, they could package some random masks in the sets themselves. Obviously they wouldn't be set-exclusive colours, as having to buy a $15 dollar set mutltiple times to get the masks you need would be crazy, but they'd be just some bonus masks tossed in that could be found in the mask packs. For example, you buy Medium Toa next year, and the included mask is Medium Toa's but in a different colour

BZPRPG:

What's the chances of there being a promotional item/special item included within the boxes of future sets for, I dunno? Two months perhaps? Similar to that golden variant of the Mask of Time being shipped inside limited Vahki canisters.

I know that was a due to Lego having extra stock or wanted to promote the 2nd Bionicle movie or something, but that's besides the point.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Well, the final product wouldn't be the polybag exactly, this is just an idea for a similar product that might work :PBesides the Krana packs were boxes in NA and Polybags in Europe so it isn't a stretch to see recoloured parts in them, plus the Chima Bear polybag this year has an exclusive figure not found anywhere else, so that might bode well for future PolybagsYa gotta have some optimism for the products, hehe :P

Firstly, the Krana packs were more than ten years ago—and if they had been successful, we wouldn't be having this discussion of how ELSE to implement collectibles. Secondly, the Chima Bear polybag's fig is only "exclusive" insofar as the full set containing him (Bladvic's Rumble Bear) is not due out until the summer.I am plenty optimistic for future promotional masks, but I temper that optimism with realism. That includes the acknowledgment that a set like the Hero Pack can only really justify its own existence if it comes with some degree of exclusivity. In other words, unless it's a limited release gift-with-purchase or giveaway, it doesn't really achieve any sales advantage.Now, that said—I just considered another way that a promotional mask (or even more than one promotional mask) could be released. Last year, Target released a Minifigure Gift Set with pre-assembled minifigures from four different themes. This year, a similar set has been leaked (I believe in an accidental Lego.com reveal), although the details of its release remain unknown. I don't know the likelihood of this, but it would certainly be interesting if either a future set of this sort included a Bionicle mask, or potentially, if a set of FOUR masks were released in a similar packaging style! Obviously this, too, would be a limited-release item if it DID happen, but either way it could be a fantastic way to release one or more exclusive masks and promote the theme. The concept would not be entirely unlike the classic Bionicle Power Pack—a high quality, highly collectible gift item that, while pricier than any gift-with-purchase would otherwise be, would be highly sought after. Keep in mind that this is just an idea—I'm not sure how feasible it would be or whether its promotional effectiveness would outweigh the cost to produce it. But Lego has introduced a wide variety of promo items since Bionicle's end, so taking a look at those and considering how those methods could be applied to Bionicle can be more enlightening than just considering what Bionicle had done so many years ago!

I think you're misunderstanding the Hero Pack idea: yes, the current one is a GWP type of promotion, but the ones envisioned would only be similar in terms of contents; one mask, one skull spider, both in new colour variants. The Hero Pack polybag works well for promotional reasons, as it promotes the brand and generates interest. Plus the past successes of mask packs can only be looked at nowadays as sample projections. The market is different, with new kids (whom, I might add, love collecting items, ranging from Skylanders to Pokemon cards) to old fans (who have expressed interest in purchasing mask packs again)

In addition, the Hero Pack doesn't have to 'justify its own existence' with an exclusive item. The exclusive item was merely a bonus, since other packs of the sort (i.e. the Chima promotional packet given away only had a small structure, a minifigure, and some colouring pages; no exclusive items there) didn't have those exclusive items. It's merely there to promote interest in the brand, like I said earlier

And no offense, but the Target Minifigure Gift Set, in my opinion, wouldn't be the best way to promote Bionicle. First of all, it's store exclusive; Target recently announced it's closure in Canada, and it doesn't exist in any other country than the U.S. It would be hard to locate those exclusive items anywhere else in the world if the stores don't exist anywhere else in the world. Secondly, it was with a minimum purchase od $30 I believe. That right there takes away a lot of the 'free exclusive item thing. If they wants o make another set akin got he power pack, make another power pack. The four mask idea wouldn't make sense, and neither would including a single mask in a pack of minifugres; the figures themselves work across the board, and suddenly throwing in a Bionicle mask where it couldn't be used would just confuse a lot of consumers who aren't in the know

Anyways, this topic was about collectable packs and what we want to see, not promotional items, so let's try and get the topic back on track

Like I said earlier, I'd enjoy he idea of mask packs including a couple masks in various colours, as well as maybe a Skull Spider. They could also make a mask 'super pack' with collectable shrines, where the pack comes with a mask shrine and one or two of the mask packs

In addition, they could package some random masks in the sets themselves. Obviously they wouldn't be set-exclusive colours, as having to buy a $15 dollar set mutltiple times to get the masks you need would be crazy, but they'd be just some bonus masks tossed in that could be found in the mask packs. For example, you buy Medium Toa next year, and the included mask is Medium Toa's but in a different colour

Firstly: the "past successes of mask packs?" I'd like some evidence that there WAS anything of the sort. The earliest mask packs were clearly successful ENOUGH to justify future collectibles, but that was a very different time in Lego's history (even massively successful sets like the Bohrok struggled with overstock, and it wasn't uncommon to find older sets at discount stores like Tuesday Morning). Ultimately mask packs were replaced with cheaper single-mold collectibles like Kanoka, then later by non-collectible ammo packs like Zamors, and then even those were discontinued. I can't imagine that those gradual changes came about by accident—the Mask Packs are extremely typical of early 2000s Lego in terms of their overabundance of unique parts and recolors, and their abandonment strikes me as yet another example of that kind of waste being eliminated.

I just don't see much promotional advantage in a wide-release Hero Pack. Once you're releasing that kind of set widely, it loses a lot of its promotional appeal. Retailers certainly aren't going to make a big deal out of a promotional item that can be bought just as easily from their competitors, and the wide availability will mean that the length of the promotion would be much less controllable. My point about "justifying its own existence" was not about the contents of the set (although it's true that a Hero Pack without any sort of exclusive mask would be much less appealing, particularly since unlike comparable GWPs the Hero Pack has hardly any building to set it apart from the other available sets). The point was that it couldn't justify its own existence without being limited to one particular retailer or promotion. If it were available everywhere, the lack of control over its supply and release would cripple its ability to make the same big impression it can make by being available from one particular avenue.

I would not be surprised if other stores like Toys R Us or Target DO get comparable polybags to the Hero Pack. But if that happens, chances are they won't share. Toys R Us might release a Hero Pack with a Trans. Blue Gali mask, Target might get one with a Trans. Bright Green Lewa mask. But the point of such promotions is largely to get people interested in buying sets at one particular retail chain over another, and the retailers are going to be far less interested if their biggest competitors can offer the same item and promote it better.

The comment about the Minifigure Gift Set was only a random thought. I didn't at all suggest that it would have to be released through the same retailer (after all, we don't even know if THIS YEAR'S version will be), or that every possible implementation of it would be equally efffective (you're correct that releasing one with both minifigures and a mask would probably be confusing). But a gift set like that would be an interesting way of releasing masks in the future, particularly unique ones not otherwise available in sets. Heck, you could probably fit a mini-CD in there, and you've got yourself a new Power Pack. It's probably not the most probable occurrence, but then again, neither are most of the suggestions here. So as long as we're spitballing options I figured I'd bring that up as a possibility.

Edited by Lyichir

I think you're misunderstanding the Hero Pack idea: yes, the current one is a GWP type of promotion, but the ones envisioned would only be similar in terms of contents; one mask, one skull spider, both in new colour variants. The Hero Pack polybag works well for promotional reasons, as it promotes the brand and generates interest. Plus the past successes of mask packs can only be looked at nowadays as sample projections. The market is different, with new kids (whom, I might add, love collecting items, ranging from Skylanders to Pokemon cards) to old fans (who have expressed interest in purchasing mask packs again)In addition, the Hero Pack doesn't have to 'justify its own existence' with an exclusive item. The exclusive item was merely a bonus, since other packs of the sort (i.e. the Chima promotional packet given away only had a small structure, a minifigure, and some colouring pages; no exclusive items there) didn't have those exclusive items. It's merely there to promote interest in the brand, like I said earlierAnd no offense, but the Target Minifigure Gift Set, in my opinion, wouldn't be the best way to promote Bionicle. First of all, it's store exclusive; Target recently announced it's closure in Canada, and it doesn't exist in any other country than the U.S. It would be hard to locate those exclusive items anywhere else in the world if the stores don't exist anywhere else in the world. Secondly, it was with a minimum purchase od $30 I believe. That right there takes away a lot of the 'free exclusive item thing. If they wants o make another set akin got he power pack, make another power pack. The four mask idea wouldn't make sense, and neither would including a single mask in a pack of minifugres; the figures themselves work across the board, and suddenly throwing in a Bionicle mask where it couldn't be used would just confuse a lot of consumers who aren't in the knowAnyways, this topic was about collectable packs and what we want to see, not promotional items, so let's try and get the topic back on trackLike I said earlier, I'd enjoy he idea of mask packs including a couple masks in various colours, as well as maybe a Skull Spider. They could also make a mask 'super pack' with collectable shrines, where the pack comes with a mask shrine and one or two of the mask packsIn addition, they could package some random masks in the sets themselves. Obviously they wouldn't be set-exclusive colours, as having to buy a $15 dollar set mutltiple times to get the masks you need would be crazy, but they'd be just some bonus masks tossed in that could be found in the mask packs. For example, you buy Medium Toa next year, and the included mask is Medium Toa's but in a different colour
Firstly: the "past successes of mask packs?" I'd like some evidence that there WAS anything of the sort. The earliest mask packs were clearly successful ENOUGH to justify future collectibles, but that was a very different time in Lego's history (even massively successful sets like the Bohrok struggled with overstock, and it wasn't uncommon to find older sets at discount stores like Tuesday Morning). Ultimately mask packs were replaced with cheaper single-mold collectibles like Kanoka, then later by non-collectible ammo packs like Zamors, and then even those were discontinued. I can't imagine that those gradual changes came about by accident—the Mask Packs are extremely typical of early 2000s Lego in terms of their overabundance of unique parts and recolors, and their abandonment strikes me as yet another example of that kind of waste being eliminated.I just don't see much promotional advantage in a wide-release Hero Pack. Once you're releasing that kind of set widely, it loses a lot of its promotional appeal. Retailers certainly aren't going to make a big deal out of a promotional item that can be bought just as easily from their competitors, and the wide availability will mean that the length of the promotion would be much less controllable. My point about "justifying its own existence" was not about the contents of the set (although it's true that a Hero Pack without any sort of exclusive mask would be much less appealing, particularly since unlike comparable GWPs the Hero Pack has hardly any building to set it apart from the other available sets). The point was that it couldn't justify its own existence without being limited to one particular retailer or promotion. If it were available everywhere, the lack of control over its supply and release would cripple its ability to make the same big impression it can make by being available from one particular avenue.I would not be surprised if other stores like Toys R Us or Target DO get comparable polybags to the Hero Pack. But if that happens, chances are they won't share. Toys R Us might release a Hero Pack with a Trans. Blue Gali mask, Target might get one with a Trans. Bright Green Lewa mask. But the point of such promotions is largely to get people interested in buying sets at one particular retail chain over another, and the retailers are going to be far less interested if their biggest competitors can offer the same item and promote it better.The comment about the Minifigure Gift Set was only a random thought. I didn't at all suggest that it would have to be released through the same retailer (after all, we don't even know if THIS YEAR'S version will be), or that every possible implementation of it would be equally efffective (you're correct that releasing one with both minifigures and a mask would probably be confusing). But a gift set like that would be an interesting way of releasing masks in the future, particularly unique ones not otherwise available in sets. Heck, you could probably fit a mini-CD in there, and you've got yourself a new Power Pack. It's probably not the most probable occurrence, but then again, neither are most of the suggestions here. So as long as we're spitballing options I figured I'd bring that up as a possibility.

AgaIn, you're misunderstanding the Hero Pack idea. The original idea was for a set LIKE it, not the exact same promotional material. What we're considering here is just the contents of the Hero Pack, and not promotion itself. To repeat, the mask packs we want would be like the Hero Pack, not the exact same product. We would want it to be blind-boxed, but the contents would be around the same idea; one random mask, one random Skull Spider

Also, my point about the 'past mask packs' was that their successes and faults can't be used as an accurate judgement of how it would sell in today's market. Kids love collecting items, the successes of the Minifgure line and various other collectable toy lines are proof of that, so even if they released one series of collectable masks as a test it wouldn't be the end of the world for the company

BZPRPG:

The main issue with blind-bagged masks (compared to successes like the collectible minifigures) is that they would hold virtually no appeal for people who aren't already Bionicle fans. The Collectible Minifigures are complete, articulated figures. As such, they don't just hold value for Lego fans—even someone who hasn't bought an actual Lego set in years can buy a minifigure and have the satisfaction of owning a charming little character for their desk or office. This even applies to licensed minifigures like the Simpsons ones—there are a lot of Simpsons fans out there who would be happy with the sheer novelty of owning one of their favorite characters in Lego.

Bionicle masks, on the other hand, hold little value to non-Bionicle fans. Even fans of general Lego might be perplexed by the masks, which provide hardly any play value without another Bionicle set, and only have marginal display value for people who are not invested in the theme or its story. The audience would just be much smaller no matter how you sliced it.

That doesn't necessarily mean that blind-bagged masks would be unmarketable. But it's a major count against them compared to other Lego products. Frankly, even a Bionicle Collectible Minifigure series (with figs like last year's Mini-Heroes, perhaps) would probably have more sales potential than masks on their own.

Now, for my random collectible thought of the day—I wonder if masks would be more marketable if you could "gamify" them somehow. Either a physical game (like the Ninjago spinners or Legends of Chima Speedorz, perhaps, although neither of those are randomized), or perhaps some sort of digital integration (like the recent Lego Minifigures Online, which allows players to input codes from their Collectible Minifigures and unlock them in the game). Of course, some of that seems a bit similar to later Bionicle collectibles—the functional launchers/ammunition and the 2004 Kanoka Club. And there's no indication that either of those had much effect on declining collectible sales.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately collectibles, besides the mini-figures, do not seem to fit in Lego's current action building line. But I would not oppose more polybags for Bionicle!

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

What some people have said G1 compatible Bionicle masks.

What? No. Lego's JUST introduced a new style of mask. I seriously doubt they'll abandon that so soon, particularly when the new masks and heads have been so generally well-received.

• Upvote 1

What? No. Lego's JUST introduced a new style of mask. I seriously doubt they'll abandon that so soon, particularly when the new masks and heads have been so generally well-received.

The only possibility with G1 compatible masks would be a re-release of the Vahi, but like you said, the new heads hve been generally well-received (except for the looseness in some :P) that it would be better to release a Gen 2 Vahi

Speaking of which, where did the original orange Vahi come from? Not from the mask packs, if I can recall

BZPRPG:

The only possibility with G1 compatible masks would be a re-release of the Vahi, but like you said, the new heads hve been generally well-received (except for the looseness in some :P) that it would be better to release a Gen 2 Vahi

Speaking of which, where did the original orange Vahi come from? Not from the mask packs, if I can recall

The orange Vahi was originally going to be included with the cancelled BIONICLE game, Legends of Mata Nui. When the game fell through, the mask was given out as a promotional item in Wallgreens.

Also, on the subject of a Vahi promotion: It won't happen. In fact, it physically CAN'T happen, as more than 99% of all BIONICLE molds have been trashed and discarded.

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

I'd also love to collect the comics and books. I'm really excited for the upcoming books! McDonald's toys would be a fun surprise as well. Anything would be nice! I'm starved of collectables at this point! I hope we get a mask or Skull Spider with the new books or something!

Is it 2015 yet?