BBC #69 Entry: Toa Nuju Hordika

Saint-14

Hello! Haxorus here! Today I'll be showing you my entry for newest BBC contest: Toa Nuju Hordika!

XhrwoUJ.jpg

Full Gallery

This was inspired by both the set form and the movie (in the movie they only had one mutated arm)

As you can see, the only actual parts from Nuju Hordika are the head and one of the gear-arm pieces (since I couldn't find any others :P). In addition, I couldn't get the Rhotuka launcher to work with the torso build at all, so instead there is a 'fake' Rhotuka. Plus I think Gelu's weapon looks like a nifty upgrade, hehe

Please leave any comments you wish, I hope you enjoyed my Gen 2 rendition of Nuju Hordika :) :smilenuju:

Edit: Please link to images over 100 kB in BBC, and over 750 kB on the rest of BZP.

-Wind-

Edit: Hey, Wind, I fixed the photo size to approx. 22kB, is that okay?

Edited by Haxorus
  • Upvote 2

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

One of the things I loved about the Hordika was the way their weapon folded away under the forearm. Can this one do that?

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

One of the things I loved about the Hordika was the way their weapon folded away under the forearm. Can this one do that?

Well, since the weapon takes up most of his arm it unfortunately lacks the ability to nicely fold up :( I agree with you, though, I loved that feature, too :P

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I didn't really expect to see a previous Toa-level character reimagined at a Protector-size so that is a pretty cool change. Unfortunately, it just makes the head look that much bigger, especially on such a skinny body. There is a lot of technic in the torso that make this seem less like a 2015 version of Nuju Hordika but more a G1 version with added CCBS elements.

Regardless, the torso in itself is extremely effective on its own and I like how it adds articulation to the waist. It's simple in look but quite complex in design. The asymmetry is great and very Hordika-esque and I love the design of the right arm. Also, the "Rhotuka" on the back kind of confused me cause I thought it was a gear-function. As a replacement for the Rhotuka though, it is a good piece to use and adds a lot to the scale of the set.

Pretty creative moc! :)

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I didn't really expect to see a previous Toa-level character reimagined at a Protector-size so that is a pretty cool change. Unfortunately, it just makes the head look that much bigger, especially on such a skinny body. There is a lot of technic in the torso that make this seem less like a 2015 version of Nuju Hordika but more a G1 version with added CCBS elements.

Regardless, the torso in itself is extremely effective on its own and I like how it adds articulation to the waist. It's simple in look but quite complex in design. The asymmetry is great and very Hordika-esque and I love the design of the right arm. Also, the "Rhotuka" on the back kind of confused me cause I thought it was a gear-function. As a replacement for the Rhotuka though, it is a good piece to use and adds a lot to the scale of the set.

Pretty creative moc! :)

-NotS

Thank you! Yeah, I was considering trying to use the Faux-tuka as a gear function, since that would have helped it fit in more with Gen 2, but alas I couldn't get it to work well with the torso build

And the pictures make him seem almost Protector-sized, but he is just a pinch shorter than Pohatu, I believe (if I can get a size comparison picture uploaded later I will definitely link that in my imgur gallery). And I agree on the Gen 1/2 idea, it does looks like Gen 1 with some CCBS tacked on hehe :P I was trying to go for an in-between look, since the Hordika are half-Rahi and half-Toa. However, the only Rahi we have so far is LOSS, and the exposed technic in his look inspired me to do the same for Nuju here

Anyways I appreciate the feedback, perhaps once BBC #69 is over I'll find a way to introduce the gear spinning for he right arm :P

Edited by Haxorus

BZPRPG:

I enjoy how you've gone about doing this. It's got new elements, so you know it's meant to be of the G2 era, but there's distinct features mixed in, so you know for sure it's meant to be that character.

Such distinct features I've noticed are the upper-right (our left when viewing) arm, which was part of the moving-gear thing on the Hordika, right? Lower arm, true, but it serves its purpose here, and looks rather nice with the trans-light-blue and the white fur/spike armor piece. I like that you've replaced the old blade with one of Gelu's (?). Even if it can't fold the same way, it looks much tougher than the original blade, and a little sleeker too! I enjoy the method you've incorporated the 'Rhotuka' in to the mix, and the custom-built torso.

I suppose, really, my only complaints would be that the torso is a bit thin compared to the rest of the body, and that in turn makes Nuju's head look ginormous. But, the color scheme is consistent, and the character you were going for is undeniable- this is Nuju.

Wish you luck in the competition!

• Upvote 1

I enjoy how you've gone about doing this. It's got new elements, so you know it's meant to be of the G2 era, but there's distinct features mixed in, so you know for sure it's meant to be that character.

Such distinct features I've noticed are the upper-right (our left when viewing) arm, which was part of the moving-gear thing on the Hordika, right? Lower arm, true, but it serves its purpose here, and looks rather nice with the trans-light-blue and the white fur/spike armor piece. I like that you've replaced the old blade with one of Gelu's (?). Even if it can't fold the same way, it looks much tougher than the original blade, and a little sleeker too! I enjoy the method you've incorporated the 'Rhotuka' in to the mix, and the custom-built torso.

I suppose, really, my only complaints would be that the torso is a bit thin compared to the rest of the body, and that in turn makes Nuju's head look ginormous. But, the color scheme is consistent, and the character you were going for is undeniable- this is Nuju.

Wish you luck in the competition!

Haha yeah, I understand about the torso, it makes him look like a bobble head :P

Thanks for your feedback, and I appreciate the luck, I will need it with the awesome entries being posted!

BZPRPG:

Awesome moc! Nuju was my favorite of the metru toas, and you definitely captured that feeling of that character. The chest is nice, and you have it feeling like both something we know and love, and yet keeping it fresh at the same time. The only problem isn't even with the build, it's the yellow discoloration around the eyes of the mask, but sadly, that's what happens with old pieces :(

Awesome moc! Nuju was my favorite of the metru toas, and you definitely captured that feeling of that character. The chest is nice, and you have it feeling like both something we know and love, and yet keeping it fresh at the same time. The only problem isn't even with the build, it's the yellow discoloration around the eyes of the mask, but sadly, that's what happens with old pieces :(

Thanks for the feedback! And yeah, I noticed that as I was digging through one of my old parts bins, but I'm unsure about how to remove the yellow discolouration so I guess it is staying for now :P

Think of it like jaundiced eyes, or like he really is feral hehe, sometimes in movies you see people's eyes turn yellow to indicate animalistic tendencies or transformations (although the MOC would look a lot better without it, I agree)

BZPRPG:

• 2 weeks later...

looks new enough to qualify, but still accurately resembles the original. :D

:m_p:  :i:  :s:  :h:  Kopaka.png  :i:  :s:  :s:  :e:  :l:

"INTJ PROUD;" 80788-81311-MI

looks new enough to qualify, but still accurately resembles the original. :D

Thanks for the feedback! Short, but sweet

I'm glad you like the look! Hope it is good enough to garner your vote, hehe :P

BZPRPG: