Kicking Legs Pohatu 2015

ToaMax

I bought Pohatu early because he was the most disappointing toa of this wave in my opinion and I just needed to fix him. He seemed to resemble less his origins than the others. While he does have a more close design to pohatu nuva phantoka (which is one of my favorite sets), the boomerangs don't really make any sense to me as a tool and they are difficult to work with to make anything other than what they are intended to be. So I dropped them.

So I experimented around with flipping the gear system upside down and giving Pohatu his classic and unique gear function. Kicking!! (or running).

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bionicfreak/Pohatu2015Custom/20150208_204453.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bionicfreak/Pohatu2015Custom/snapchat--2320446091920014258.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bionicfreak/Pohatu2015Custom/snapchat--6982629826321375957.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bionicfreak/Pohatu2015Custom/snapchat-5682505080570975984.jpg

And here's the gallery link now that it is live:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=552879

So what do you all think? I think I am close to nailing the proportion and functionality and not making him look too awkwardly bowlegged. However this is a bit of a work in progress.

(and please let me know if I screwed anything up in my post, i haven't posted on here for ages so I am not used to the new forum set up.)

Edited by ToaMax
  • Upvote 3

slide1.jpg

YOU CAN GET PAST A DOG...

- Dante

That looks really good, great homage to the 2001 set, well done! It's a little wide in the hips now of course but there's really no way to avoid that and everything else seems to have good proportions to it. I'd be inclinde to agree with TC about the foot armour though. If you just leave the legs how they look in the actual set I think it'll look even better :)

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I love this. As a big fan of Pohatu particularly the original this is pure genius and looks like it works great. Good job I may have to try this out.

-Onvermel- 

• Upvote 1

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

I like this quite a bit, and I see you also did away with the CCBS torso completely. Custom torsos always make me happy, even when they might appear a bit flimsy. That being said, I do think that the colors could have been better spread out, like the actual Pohatu set. Also, I feel that the torso could have looked a bit more solid overall. A commendable effort overall, nonetheless. 

:tohu:

• Upvote 1

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

I can see this being a good homage to '01s Pohatu-Mata. It is cool you removed the CCBS body though I would have liked to see it used as it is the general "Body" of the Toa and Gen1 Pohatu's chest/body piece was flipped not removed completely to allow for a kicking function rather than the arm one of the others. Still I am not seeing a lot of the bow-legged one is afraid would be on a kicking function Pohatu. Yes due to both the function and the lack of CCBS body making his gape wider than the other Toa, it is not like you replaced his legs with Onua's gear function... Now that would create a Bow-leg look. I suppose if you wanted to, extend the shoulders out some so he doesn't have an A type shape, but not to a level of having an X one instead. Your proportions are acceptable as a homage to Pohatu-Mata... You did a good job

Remember, Pohatu-Mata and Nuva in turn had thiner shoulders due to having the Toa body flipped to allow the kicking function... Upvote to ya for this nice MOC...

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Nice. I've seen this attempted many times and this is probably the most solid design for it yet. It works from all angles and doesn't look extremely awkward. My only gripe is the yellow gear - I feel that could have been black. It looks a little weird having a little bit of yellow exposed from under the armour.

Again, really solid attempt at recreating the kick feature. This rocks.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Really clever design! I'd have never thought of using two gearboxes.

What do you mean by this? I only used one gearbox.

Nice. I've seen this attempted many times and this is probably the most solid design for it yet. It works from all angles and doesn't look extremely awkward. My only gripe is the yellow gear - I feel that could have been black. It looks a little weird having a little bit of yellow exposed from under the armour.

Again, really solid attempt at recreating the kick feature. This rocks.

-NotS

Since I'm currently at college my source of extra pieces is extremely small compared to back home so this was the best I could do.  Also Yellow sticking out everywhere seems to be an issue with all the sets this wave so I'm not too worried. Perhaps when i go back home I can tighten up the design on this later on based on your critiques.

Also thank you everyone for the comments.

Edited by ToaMax

slide1.jpg

YOU CAN GET PAST A DOG...

- Dante