Best/Worst Combo Builds?

CaT in Rogue

This here topic is to discuss what, in your opinion, are the best and/or worst official combiners of the Bionicle franchise. (Excluding Gaardus, of course. That's just cheating.)

Best: I would have to vote for the Kardas Dragon. Mainly because I like dragons.

Worst: Again, excluding Gaardus, my personal least favorite combiners would be the 'Power-up' combiners from the new sets. While not really...awful, they really don't add much in the way of playability, and sometimes even hinder some of the Toa's original dang functions.

So, what are your opinions?

• Upvote 1

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I love me some combo builds.

I think the best are definitely:

Vezon and Kardas. Such a fantastic design. Really has a great look and build, almost feels like it was designed before any of the titans it is composed of. Everything comes together really nicely.

Kahu: Not really a combo model but an alternate one - this is a really awesome build but I like it mostly because it takes a pair of scorpions and successfully turns it into something drastically different: a bird. 

Zyglak: Always stood out to me for being quite innovative with the pieces that were provided. Looks complete and full - the only downside is the colour scheme, but at least the distribution of it is clear and not messy.

2006 Matoran combiners: Really innovative designs that look aesthetically sound. And from such a small parts count! I absolutely love them.

Kralhi: Always have loved this one. A great use of very specialized pieces and an overall really menacing look. The use of Metru heads as shoulder connectors is just particularly genius to me. 

I dunno, there are a lot of good combiners out there and I just can't choose a definitive best! I could highlight a bunch more that I consider to be exceptional.

Honorable mention to the Japanese combiners which are amazing, but I don't think really count because they are technically "unofficial".

Worst combiners though? Take your pick. Maybe another three

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Best? I'd like to say Botar out of nostalgia, but Botar's way too gappy.

Gonna gave to say the Lava Hawk. It worked really well for what it was and the sets it was made out of. IMO, it's arguably even better than the sets it is made out of it. I also like the Zyglak, which managed to pull off its look fairly decently. 

For the worst, pretty much every combiner in 2005 was terrible, as was every combiner after the first half of 2007. Considering that combiners were often of poor quality, it's no wonder they stopped doing them.  

Oh! While not a a combiner, but rather an alternate model... 

What the heck is this even meant to be??

The Bahrag alternate model, everybody. A... thing. I can't quite tell if it's meant to be a turret of some sort, a beast with legs and no eyes, or... seriously, what even is this meant to be?

Sometimes you see a combiner and can just about understand what it's trying to do. But that? It's like the designer had a ton of pieces and was like 'what can I put together that doesn't look like anything'? It confuses me greatly that someone went and designed that.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Honorable mention to the Japanese combiners which are amazing, but I don't think really count because they are technically "unofficial".

Oh come on, is it really that unofficial if it has the LEGO logo and slogan on it?

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

Best? I'd like to say Botar out of nostalgia, but Botar's way too gappy.

Gonna gave to say the Lava Hawk. It worked really well for what it was and the sets it was made out of. IMO, it's arguably even better than the sets it is made out of it. I also like the Zyglak, which managed to pull off its look fairly decently. 

For the worst, pretty much every combiner in 2005 was terrible, as was every combiner after the first half of 2007. Considering that combiners were often of poor quality, it's no wonder they stopped doing them.  

Oh! While not a a combiner, but rather an alternate model... 

What the heck is this even meant to be??

The Bahrag alternate model, everybody. A... thing. I can't quite tell if it's meant to be a turret of some sort, a beast with legs and no eyes, or... seriously, what even is this meant to be?

Sometimes you see a combiner and can just about understand what it's trying to do. But that? It's like the designer had a ton of pieces and was like 'what can I put together that doesn't look like anything'? It confuses me greatly that someone went and designed that.

Looks like a tiny head on legs with a tail

qs3135.jpg

Best: Destral Cycle hands down I loved it way more than the powered up Jetrax T6 it was made from, it was awesome! Closely followed by of course Kardas, and also Pit War Tortoise and Manutri, those two I thought were really cool and honestly would have been fantastic sets in their own right. The Mana Ko goes here too just for the function alone. I loved it and I had so much fun driving it around with its hands grabbing for things like masks off of Toas' faces. :evilgrin:  

Worst: Gate Guardian followed closely by Kranua, Protodax, and Spiriah. The Turaga and Matoran combiners were terrible but were actually not too shabby given what they had to work with so I won't include them here.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Just tried to build the bohrok kal kaita ja i chose as a worst combiner while using spare bohrok parts and the official build has several flaws.

The upper section is quite top heavy and after the mechanism is triggered it doesn't return on its own, also when the mechanism is used it is best to support it since it's legs arent strong enough on their own to keep the model balanced while used. Even when the mechanism is not in use it is very difficult to balance this creature on its legs because of the rounded edges of the krana (recommended solution is to use 5m length axles and a pair of bohrok eyes in the heel section so it looks like its wearing high heels along with spare bohrok limbs to strengthen the leg section.)

qs3135.jpg

I remember thinking the Manutri was quite haphazard...

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724