Spider-Man to Officially Join the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Zippo

I'm actaully kind of disappointed by this obviously. Obviously any plans Sony had for their Sinister Six movie will have to be thrown out, and I was really looking forward to a movie where Spiderman was a "villain." It would have been something different that the genre needs.

Also, poor Spiderman. Franchise-rebooted twice in six years.

BZPRPG

I'm actaully kind of disappointed by this obviously. Obviously any plans Sony had for their Sinister Six movie will have to be thrown out, and I was really looking forward to a movie where Spiderman was a "villain." It would have been something different that the genre needs.

Yeah, it's a shame, but at least he'll be in Civil War like he's supposed to be,

IIRC, the Sony email leak has Marvel skipping over the origin story for the next standalone, and wanting Raimi back on some level. Maybe we'll finally get Bruce Campbell as Mysterio like it was rumored for Spidey 4?

Well really, it's not like the ASM movies were very good.

hElbrZ6.gif

I know how you feel. It makes me feel pretty disappointed, since I was actually looking forward to seeing the Sinister Six, Venom, and ASM3 come to theaters. It also sucks that we won't get Andrew, Emma, or Dane again, since they were great actors. Still, I'm happy he's back with Marvel, since maybe now Spidey will get the treatment he deserves.

IIRC, the Sony email leak has Marvel skipping over the origin story for the next standalone, and wanting Raimi back on some level. Maybe we'll finally get Bruce Campbell as Mysterio like it was rumored for Spidey 4?

I don't see why everyone loves Raimi so much. Sure, when his Spidey films were first released, they were awesome, but looking back on them now they're riddled with all sorts of flaws (The overly campy attitude and dialogue, Spidey always getting beaten up in every single fight he's in, inaccuracies with the comics, Mary Jane being nothing more than a prop, etc). I honestly hope he doesn't come back for this installment, mostly because I want to see a Spidey that works in the MCU and not...whatever Raimi and Tobey gave us.

Well really, it's not like the ASM movies were very good.

I understand why people say that, and I agree. The ASM films we got weren't nearly as good as they could have been. When you read about what Webb and the writers had originally planned (The entire series leading up to the birth of the Goblin, instead of the Sinister Six), you can tell they had a certain vision in mind. Unfortunately, Sony had to meddle with everything, since all they really cared about was having their own cinematic universe to compete with Marvel and DC. I'm sure that if Sony hadn't meddled so much, ASM2 would have been one of the best Spidey films in a long time.

why is this happening

I was extremely excited about the announcement last night! Comic fans have been waiting for Spidey to join the MCU for years now, and it's finally happened.
Though, I'm a bit worried on whether or not Sony's gonna ruin the future film he's gonna star in, since they still have main control over the character. The ASM series was good, but there were rumors that the executives made Mark Webb & Andrew's lives really hard, and shot down potentially amazing ideas. 

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I don't see why everyone loves Raimi so much. Sure, when his Spidey films were first released, they were awesome, but looking back on them now they're riddled with all sorts of flaws (The overly campy attitude and dialogue, Spidey always getting beaten up in every single fight he's in, inaccuracies with the comics, Mary Jane being nothing more than a prop, etc). I honestly hope he doesn't come back for this installment, mostly because I want to see a Spidey that works in the MCU and not...whatever Raimi and Tobey gave us.

It's pretty straight forward, really.

From a tonal stand point, Raimi's movies are more or less... what happens when Sam Raimi does movies based on Stan Lee's writing. I mean, have you seen Raimi's other works, particularly Army of Darkness? They're all very goofy, and intentionally so- with Lee's writing being pretty melodramatic by today's standards. The thing is, outside JK Simmons and Bruce Campbell, nobody really knew how to handle the campiness- which is why its aged so badly.

Tobey was a terrible Spider-Man, though.

hElbrZ6.gif

It's pretty straight forward, really.

From a tonal stand point, Raimi's movies are more or less... what happens when Sam Raimi does movies based on Stan Lee's writing. I mean, have you seen Raimi's other works, particularly Army of Darkness? They're all very goofy, and intentionally so- with Lee's writing being pretty melodramatic by today's standards. The thing is, outside JK Simmons and Bruce Campbell, nobody really knew how to handle the campiness- which is why its aged so badly.

Tobey was a terrible Spider-Man, though.

I simply must disagree, for my own nostalgia's sake,

What are your guy's ideas/theories/hopes for the future of Spidey?

-Dylan O'Brien as Peter/Spidey.

-JK Simmons returns as J. Jonah Jameson.

-Enemies could be Mysterio and Shocker (With Kingpin possibly behind it all)

-Possible tie-in with Daredevil, with the two having to team up to take them down (Shocker using his vibrations to mess with DD's senses; DD ends up fighting Mysterio instead since he isn't phased by his illusions; Spidey and DD bro'ing it up the whole time).

-Web swinging, fight scenes, and Mysterio's illusions. All in 3D stereo surround sound.

why is this happening

-Marvel's probably gonna throw us a curve-ball and choose someone else and not Dylan O'Brian or Logan Lerman. (Logan fits the MCU aesthetic quite a bit more than Dylan does.)
-Spidey makes an appearance in Captain America: Civil War; plays a large role in said movie, but not as big as Cap's or Iron Man's roles. (Or he'll just show up in a post-credit scene in Ant-Man or something.)

-2017 Spider-Man movie will probably have a Captain America/Daredevil cameo with Kraven the Hunter, Venom, The Rino, or Sandman as the main villain(s). The story-line will probably continue the 'Civil War' arch, 'cause you can't cover that event in just one movie without making it suck.

It has also been announced that Sony plans on making a 'Sinister Six' movie still, but I don't see how that'll fit into MCU. Though, there's a rumor going around that Sony's gonna produce a series of spin-offs that are in a different continuation from the rest of the movies Marvel Studio's producing. I hope that isn't true. 

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Anything relating to Daredevil in the MCU will probably depend on how the mini-series (and the whole Defenders thing) goes. I wouldn't bet on his inclusion in the movies right now, but if that goes well, then...the possibility is definitely there.

True enough. They still gotta put up those Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage series' first and THEN the Defenders series. 

I doubt we'll see Daredevil in any movie until at least 2018.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

My Mom told me about this when she got home.  :P

I hope that there will still be a Sinister Six and Venom movie, because those rumors and teasers (respectively) were the only good things to come out of ASM2. I loved the first one, but the second one just didn't do it for me.

Anyway, I am glad that Spider-Man will join the Avengers and friends where he belongs; now we just need Logan from the X-Men to join up as well and I will be a happy camper (just don't rush it though)

Good point on The Civil War, I want that to last a few movies, rushing it will destroy my faith in the MCU.

And I didn't know that New York's independent heroes actually had an alliance, "The Defenders". I mostly pay attention to DC Comics, which means I think of Power Girl protecting New York.  :lol:

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I have received hearsay about people wanting the new Spider-Man to be African-American. I say that is fine, just don't make Peter Parker black. ;) Do an in-story transition featuring the death of an older Peter Parker, and the rise of another young man to take his place. My twin pences.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

I have received hearsay about people wanting the new Spider-Man to be African-American. I say that is fine, just don't make Peter Parker black. ;) Do an in-story transition featuring the death of an older Peter Parker, and the rise of another young man to take his place. My twin pences.

Uh...You're right on the line there, lol.

But yeah, there's already a black Spider-Man. His name happens to be 'Miles Morales'. People were speculating that it might be him, because the MCU takes after the Ultimate Marvel comics, instead of the mainstream ones. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Uh...You're right on the line there, lol.

But yeah, there's already a black Spider-Man. His name happens to be 'Miles Morales'. People were speculating that it might be him, because the MCU takes after the Ultimate Marvel comics, instead of the mainstream ones. 

I didn't know his name, but I knew everything else. I phrased it that way because I am sure the laymen don't know such things and wanted to pull the same thing that the Fantastic Four and Suicide Squad movies are doing.  :P

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I honestly wouldn't mind Miles Morales coming in at some point, but first we need good ol' Pete. It's not gonna feel right at all if the first Spidey we get in the MCU isn't the one everyone has been used to since the 60s. I'd just want them to cast someone young and who looks like the comics (Not Donald Glover, who's too old, or Jayden Smith, who looks nothing like comic Miles).

Speaking of casting, I really hope Dylan O'Brien is chosen for Spidey. For one, he looks and acts exactly like Peter does in the comics. Plus, he's said before he wants to be Spider-Man, so he'd be absolutely dedicated to the role.

why is this happening

How about a relatively unknown actor to play as Sir Miles? I fell like Hollywoodland keeps reusing the same group of African-American actors.

And after looking him up, Mr. D. O'Brien looks exactly like Peter Parker does in this Ironman graphic novel I have. It's actually both pretty cool and creepy.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I'm just gonna say, if we get a Clone Saga movie as a sequel?

They probably could really easily work Garfield and Tobey in.

Clone Saga? I am intrigued,

It's a particularly terrible story arc from the 90's about Pete getting cloned. There's been jokes for awhile now that for ASM 3, they could've got Tobey to play Ben Riley or Kaine.

hElbrZ6.gif

It's a particularly terrible story arc from the 90's about Pete getting cloned. There's been jokes for awhile now that for ASM 3, they could've got Tobey to play Ben Riley or Kaine.

That is the second clone related story that I have heard is terrible, the first is from Star Wars, the one with Palpatine's clones.  Another I know first hand: Attack of the Clones. :sarcastic:

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

That is the second clone related story that I have heard is terrible, the first is from Star Wars, the one with Palpatine's clones.  Another I know first hand: Attack of the Clones. :sarcastic:

What are you talking about? All three of those are wonderful,

According to the leaked Sony emails, they were planning on making Spider-Man vs The Amazing Spider-Man.

Personally, that's something I want to see. I imagine the films would be a semi-serious parody of the entire franchise. Tobey and Andrew would both be old as sin at that point. Imagine seeing two old, balding, out of shape Spider-Men trying to do stunts and throw punches, while they make quips at one another. The ending could be them both just relaxing together as best friends with their respective love interests (Tobey with MJ/Kirsten Dunst, Andrew with Gwen/Emma Stone) as they talk about who was the better Spider-Man.

• Upvote 1

why is this happening

According to the leaked Sony emails, they were planning on making Spider-Man vs The Amazing Spider-Man.

Personally, that's something I want to see. I imagine the films would be a semi-serious parody of the entire franchise. Tobey and Andrew would both be old as sin at that point. Imagine seeing two old, balding, out of shape Spider-Men trying to do stunts and throw punches, while they make quips at one another. The ending could be them both just relaxing together as best friends with their respective love interests (Tobey with MJ/Kirsten Dunst, Andrew with Gwen/Emma Stone) as they talk about who was the better Spider-Man.

You lost me at "old as sin"

You lost me at "old as sin"

What's hard to get?

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I'm sorta starting to worry that Marvel Studios might focus too much on Spidey now that he's back. Even though he's the most well-known character from Marvel, we have yet to see some other smaller characters get their chance in the spotlight.

I really wanna see Graviton make an appearance in a movie, since he made a cameo in Agents of Shield.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'm sorta starting to worry that Marvel Studios might focus too much on Spidey now that he's back. Even though he's the most well-known character from Marvel, we have yet to see some other smaller characters get their chance in the spotlight.

I really wanna see Graviton make an appearance in a movie, since he made a cameo in Agents of Shield.

What? Like Wasp?

I think a Moon Knight or Iron Fist movie would be pretty cool. And with X-Men: Apocolypse coming out, it would also be pretty cool to have Apocolypse show up in Moon Knight's story (If I am incorrect on this, please do tell me, i haven't updated myself in anything Marvel related in a long, long time).

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I think a Moon Knight or Iron Fist movie would be pretty cool. And with X-Men: Apocolypse coming out, it would also be pretty cool to have Apocolypse show up in Moon Knight's story (If I am incorrect on this, please do tell me, i haven't updated myself in anything Marvel related in a long, long time).

Nope, sorry. Fox owns the rights too all X-Men/Fantastic 4 characters (including the word 'Mutant'). I was thinking somewhere on the lines of She-Hulk, or at least Betty Ross since we haven't seen her since the last Hulk movie and she won't likely make an appearance in any of the movie line-ups. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Also, Iron Fist is getting a mini-series on Netflix sometime this year or next year.

I see no logic in this,

It's a good way to introduce characters without shoving them into movies. But I dunno if it's worth having a paid Netflix account just to watch those shows--I might get one, though.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Also, Iron Fist is getting a mini-series on Netflix sometime this year or next year.

I see no logic in this,

It's a good way to introduce characters without shoving them into movies. But I dunno if it's worth having a paid Netflix account just to watch those shows--I might get one, though.

I'm just stealing my parents'