Tool Storage in Sets

We all know that many of the characters in Bionicle have tools and equipment to use and that they have to carry it all somewhere. Of course, they could just carry their tools in hand, but we have seen some characters store tools by putting equipment on (or in the case of MoL, "shrink-rayed in") their backs. A few sets in the past have used this feature, such as the Toa Metru and even as far back as the 2001 Matoran/Tohunga. Now it seems that the only 2015 set (thus far) that can do this would be Pohatu, unless you start modding.

Would you like to see this feature return for future sets?

We all know that many of the characters in Bionicle have tools and equipment to use and that they have to carry it all somewhere. Of course, they could just carry their tools in hand, but we have seen some characters store tools by putting equipment on (or in the case of MoL, "shrink-rayed in") their backs. A few sets in the past have used this feature, such as the Toa Metru and even as far back as the 2001 Matoran/Tohunga. Now it seems that the only 2015 set (thus far) that can do this would be Pohatu, unless you start modding.

Would you like to see this feature return for future sets?

Technically, Tahu, Pohatu, and Onua all have this feature for at least one of their weapons. And the reason, in those cases, is so that they can store all or part of their primary weapons when using their secondary weapons or vice-versa. So Tahu can store his golden swords when he's using his fire blades, Onua can store the handle of his earthquake hammer when he's using his turbo shovelers, and Pohatu can store his dagger when he's using his stormerangs. Actually, technically speaking, Onua can store his ENTIRE Earthquake Hammer on his back if you want him to go weaponless, but it's a bit unwieldy on account of its size.

Among the summer sets, Skull Warrior has an optional spear that can be attached to his back when he's using his bow, since a bow is a two-handed weapon. I'm not sure whether the reverse is true, or whether he has to carry his bow in one hand when he uses the spear in the other.

I'm a bit indifferent about whether we see this feature extended to all weapons in future sets. It's definitely a cool feature, but sometimes it can be more trouble than it's worth. Imagine how much trouble it'd be for Kopaka to store his shield AND spear on his back and still have the gear function accessible! I'd rather not see the variety of weapons we get in future sets limited simply so that they're all small and unobtrusive enough to fit on the back, especially since that might mean sacrificing other aspects of the weapon design like dual functionality. I think it's a lot cooler for Lewa to be able to stick his axe blades on his arms as glider wings than to stick his entire battle axes on his back.

Granted, if the designers CAN manage to find a way to do this in future sets without any huge drawbacks, then that'd be great! Currently, the Toa all allow for a Battle Mode and an Adrenalin Mode, but it'd certainly be awesome if each Toa had a Neutral Mode as well.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

I would absolutely love to see this happen. Ever since 2001 with the toa mata I've always wanted weapon storage for my toa. Luckily the toa metru had the ability but I feel if more of the 2015 sets and future sets had this feature it would really improve the overall set. 

-Onvermel- :pakari:

• Upvote 1

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

I don't have anyone but Onua but to copy what was said above, due tot he way the top handle of his hammer connects to his back, one could store the shoves in their hammer configuration there on his back as well. The question should be the bottom of the hammer.. that was a bit more of an issue. However on the opposite side there is a slot for his axel that could double as an additional weapon placement should he come with one. I'll post pictures of one would like..

EDIT: Here are some pics of my Onua....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/Prowl_NightWolf/Bionicle/HNI_0061.jpg

(Onua holding his completed hammer)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/Prowl_NightWolf/Bionicle/HNI_0062.jpg

(The two separated sections of the Hammer to be stored on his back)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/Prowl_NightWolf/Bionicle/HNI_0063.jpg

(Targeted location for Hammer's handle axel to store)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/Prowl_NightWolf/Bionicle/HNI_0064.jpg

(Onua's Hammer weapon completely stored on his back)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/Prowl_NightWolf/Bionicle/HNI_0065.jpg

(Closeup of Onua from the front with his Hammer stored on his back)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/Prowl_NightWolf/Bionicle/HNI_0066.jpg

(Zoomed out Picture of the one above)

He stands under his own power quite well considering the bulk of the hammer's weight makes his left side ore top heavy.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf
  • Upvote 2

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

That's where I put the bottom of the hammer too. :) I'm not sure why the instructions don't tell you to do that, because it makes sense.

But then the instructions also show Onua's neck, Tahu's shoulder armour etc. incorrectly oriented and attach Kopaka's shield back-to-front so I guess we should expect to find even more errors in the instruction books.

I also attach the top of the hammer hanging down, rather than up, because on box art and in the animations you can't see that bit of Onua's hammer when it is stored. Again, it makes no sense for the instructions to say it should be attached so that it sticks up above Onua's shoulders...

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I thought about that myself after I took these pictures. I figure if somebody wants to store it over his shoulder or under it is their choice. I just showed this version I think as that is what the top of the hammer was shown. Either could work to the individual's desire.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

It sort of depends on the play value. I'm already quite content with the sets as they are. If you add too many functions or abilities, it might get confusing and not as fun for younger players, especially counting for that there would have to be some connection point system that could possible be hard for younger fans to operate.

It is quite nice to have weapons storage sometimes, but especially in these sets it isn't needed.

Well I know a thing or two about the difficulty of younger players working with the sets. Onua there that I posted I build with my 4yo son and he was having a bit of trouble getting the pegs into the holes. The Axels where even more so. Though again he is 4. An other child may not be as limited.

Onua.png

Well I know a thing or two about the difficulty of younger players working with the sets. Onua there that I posted I build with my 4yo son and he was having a bit of trouble getting the pegs into the holes. The Axels where even more so. Though again he is 4. An other child may not be as limited.

4 is DEFINITELY a young age to be building any sort of Technic set! Technically themes like Juniors (with big, basic bricks and pre-assembled walls) are what's recommended for kids that age. But if you're supervising him and he's enjoying the build despite the difficulties, there's nothing stopping him from building more complex sets!

My first experience with kids' building limitations was at my eighth birthday party. It was Lego themes, and we got all the guests a Throwbots set (for them to use in a disk-throwing game later at the party). I hadn't been prepared for how much difficulty the other guests would have. I'd been building Lego all my life, so it came easily for me, but many of the guests had never even built a Technic set, and a lot of them got frustrated with both the amount of force it took to join parts, and just visualizing what the instructions were telling them to do (as unlike standard Lego, Technic involves building in three directions more than just stacking blocks on top of one another). That formative experience made me a lot more understanding of both the limits of younger builders and the kinds of design elements that sets use to make the experience a bit easier for builders of all skill levels.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well I got a nice 10 minute video(That's the longest my 3DS films for at once) of us building part of the set. He seemed to be enjoying himself while it lasted. I'll post a link once I get it posted up on my Photobucket...

Onua.png

[...] eighth birthday party. [...] hadn't been prepared for how much difficulty the other guests would have. [...] a lot of them got frustrated with both the amount of force it took to join parts, and just visualizing what the instructions were telling them to do [...] That formative experience made me a lot more understanding of both the limits of younger builders and the kinds of design elements that sets use to make the experience a bit easier for builders of all skill levels.

A handy experience, but this is where I feel that LEGO products are a useful learning tool; to me those ...difficulties some face are more a mark of not having had certain developmental experiences... which I'm not if I would say is an issue, so that whilst that may or not be an average; I don't think that should be deemed "to young", even if it is likely to be for many, & if there is difficulty there then I don't think that's a mark against the child, but I don't think there's anything wrong with giving it a go? They might do well with it &/or enjoy it, & if they don't what harm is done? temporary frustration..?

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

[...] eighth birthday party. [...] hadn't been prepared for how much difficulty the other guests would have. [...] a lot of them got frustrated with both the amount of force it took to join parts, and just visualizing what the instructions were telling them to do [...] That formative experience made me a lot more understanding of both the limits of younger builders and the kinds of design elements that sets use to make the experience a bit easier for builders of all skill levels.

A handy experience, but this is where I feel that LEGO products are a useful learning tool; to me those ...difficulties some face are more a mark of not having had certain developmental experiences... which I'm not if I would say is an issue, so that whilst that may or not be an average; I don't think that should be deemed "to young", even if it is likely to be for many, & if there is difficulty there then I don't think that's a mark against the child, but I don't think there's anything wrong with giving it a go? They might do well with it &/or enjoy it, & if they don't what harm is done? temporary frustration..?

Temporary frustration can be enough to turn a kid off from a Lego set or theme for good. Age recommendations are just that—recommendations—but they exist for a reason, that being to try and ensure that kids get the sets which they are most likely to be able to enjoy.

Lego can be a great learning experience, to be sure, but so can calculus—and just like springing a calculus problem on a kid who doesn't even know algebra, tasking a kid who isn't even an expert on typical Lego building with building a Technic set might not end up teaching them very much other than that it's too hard for them to grasp.

In the case of the party in question, that number of kids all being frustrated by a specific task during a party put a downer on that particular activity. It didn't ruin the party, but it certainly took a lot of joy out of the experience of "free Lego sets".

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yeah, the Toa Metru were super cool for that! I actually really like how some of the Toa this year have similar design ideas regarding storage - it would definitely be cool to see it implemented as well as it was with the Toa Metru. However, if it takes away from poseability and/or play functions, I'll be against it - those definitely take precedence (If they pull off more Skull Warrior's though, that would be sweet)

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg