LEGO Reveals 75095 TIE Fighter at Toy Fair

75095_TIE_Fighter_Reveal_teaser.jpg

New York Toy Fair starts today and LEGO is kicking it off with a bang by announcing the latest addition to their UCS Star Wars collection. 75095 TIE Fighter compliments last year's 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter and allows you to recreate the iconic attack on the Death Star if you have a lot of space and money. The set will be available in May (just in time for the May the Fourth promotion, I'm sure) and contains all the details you'd expect from a set in the Ultimate Collector Series. To see the designer video, hi-res pictures, and the full press release, read on!

View the full article

• Upvote 2

And when I thought that the 2012 version couldn't be topped.  :P

This is a day 1 buy for sure. It's also nice to see more arm printing on Star Wars figures. Adds a lot of impressive detail.

The wing attachment is very clever. I thought it would just be technic beams going through the model. The wing design itself looks beautiful and the way the the grey parts were attached with battle droid arms at the corners is genius. 

The center of the model could have been  a bit smoother, but this would be very difficult to achieve. And it looks like the minifig might fit inside as well. But I don't know if it is the corrects scale or not. 

• Upvote 2

I don't see the appeal of this set AT ALL... I mean, it's big, but that's about it. The spherical shape of the cockpit is just completely gone and almost every angle looks uncomfortable and unfinished. The pylons and panels are good but that cockpit. Yuck... Once I stop funnelling cash into my Bionicle collection I'[m plannign to go after a few UCS star wars sets but this won't be one of them. In fact, I've already seen the other addition, the new X-wing and I don't like that as much as the old one either. 

Will be interested to see if anyone agrees with me but I don't hold a great deal of a new hope :D

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I'm not really liking the shape of the cockpit. I guess that's probably the best they could have done with angular bricks, but I still looks unappealing. The wing attachment is really cool, though, although the wings themselves look king of weird with that half studded/half smooth texture.

(Still waiting for my UCS ARC-170.)

• Upvote 2
BZPRPG

I'm not really liking the shape of the cockpit. I guess that's probably the best they could have done with angular bricks, but I still looks unappealing. The wing attachment is really cool, though, although the wings themselves look king of weird with that half studded/half smooth texture.

Yay! It seems I'm not alone in disliking the cockpit after all :D Hadn't taken a close look at the wings before but see what you mean about the semi-studded construction. I'm quite a fan of visible studs so would've had no issue with them being on view. I also have no problem with smooth surfaces on show as they're sleek and sexy :D Half and half does seem a little strange though.

But lo, is that old rail track I see in there? Remember the really old blue one with individual rail pieces? The straight struts on those wings look awfully familiar...

I prefer the ones Lego made before they realized Tie Fighters weren't blue.

Those are the only ones I have; largely because they had cost 1/10 of what this baby costs. :P

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Yay! It seems I'm not alone in disliking the cockpit after all :D Hadn't taken a close look at the wings before but see what you mean about the semi-studded construction. I'm quite a fan of visible studs so would've had no issue with them being on view. I also have no problem with smooth surfaces on show as they're sleek and sexy :D Half and half does seem a little strange though.

But lo, is that old rail track I see in there? Remember the really old blue one with individual rail pieces? The straight struts on those wings look awfully familiar...

That is indeed a revival of the old rail tracks. They can also be found in the gold mining themed City sets ;)

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

That is indeed a revival of the old rail tracks. They can also be found in the gold mining themed City sets ;)

It's not really a "revival" because they never really went away for more than a few years. The longest gap in their use was between 1995 and 2002—and they've appeared in sets every year since 2011.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It's not really a "revival" because they never really went away for more than a few years. The longest gap in their use was between 1995 and 2002—and they've appeared in sets every year since 2011.

I dunno, 7 years seems like a pretty long time for a mold to be out of use. Am surprised they kept it honestly...

I dunno, 7 years seems like a pretty long time for a mold to be out of use. Am surprised they kept it honestly...

My point is more that the part's "revival" was more than 12 years ago. Its use in this set, by contrast, is far from unusual, since it's been in constant use for four full years and periodic use in the years before that.

As for why they kept it around... it's pretty necessary for smaller-gauge rail, like that in most mine sets. The 2008 Indiana Jones sets introduced narrow-gauge pre-fab rail as well, but there's still no basic "straight" rail of that sort—just curves and inclines.

Really? I had no idea it had been so widely used in recent years! I guess the other sets that used it haven't been of enough interest to me to be spotted prior to this release!

The normally smooth and round TIE cockpit looks really blocky, even for a Lego set, and this set has one of the worst piece to price ratios I have ever seen. Even if I could afford it, this would be an easy pass.

• Upvote 1

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

The normally smooth and round TIE cockpit looks really blocky, even for a Lego set, and this set has one of the worst piece to price ratios I have ever seen. Even if I could afford it, this would be an easy pass.

The price-per-piece ratio is most likely a consequence of having to use a ridiculous number of huge plates for the "wings". The cost of parts like that adds up.