BBC #69 - Zaktan

"Toa. You are an anachronism -- pure and noble heroes, still striving for right in a universe of chaos, unwilling to admit that your day is long over."

- Zaktan, BIONICLE Legends 1: Island of Doom

[ http://i.imgur.com/rHpXJJC.jpg ]

Entry Pic

Gallery

Zaktan merited more focus in the plot of G1 BIONICLE; like, I think he should have been a major player in the Mahri Nui and Karda Nui plots. His position is engaging and interesting, since most other antagonists in the setting are smug supervillains. I like a villain that works about as hard as (if not harder than) the heroes. Here's to seeing him again in G2, sometime! Perhaps in search for the Mask of Ultimate Power.

Must say, dark green and sand green CCBS parts are not easy to come by. I was tempted to hunt down some two-year-old Legend of Chima sets for the dark green armor plates, but I wouldn't get them before the contest deadline anyways. I also thought about using Ben 10 claw hands, which were rather fitting. But the dude needed some more dark green and the ability to hold his signature three-blade scissor and zamor launcher. Hope you guys like it!

Edit: Image linked; please keep posted images in BBC to 640x640 px and 100 kB.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 6

A really good MOC and really looks like a Zaktan 2.0. The lack of dark green shells is understandable and I like how you replaced them with gunmetal shells. A nice little feature that would've been a nice callback to the original would be a way to switch weapon modes. The upgraded zamor launcher really fits the character and looks good. Best of luck in the contest.

bzpsig.jpg

I would've loved to use black pauldrons on his shoulders; alas, I have none! I only bought CCBS sets I thought looked cool between 2010 and 2015, and none of them happened to have black pauldrons.

My ideal version of this guy would have green chest plates  (from Chi Cragger) on his legs instead of black ones, green arm/leg plates (from Chi Cragger or Ogrum) instead of gold on his upper and lower arms and legs, and black pauldrons (from Black Phantom or Toxic Reapa) instead of gunmetal. And a gold chest plate instead of the gunmetal one on his torso, from I-dunno-what (but it exists!). Well, I suppose ideal would be hypothetical dark green pauldrons, but no such things were ever wrought.

Thanks for the kind words!

I like this more than the original, mainly because of the gold armor. He looks much better with a fleshy torso that is cladded in armor, rather than his entire upper-body being gold. It would have been cool if his weapon's flipping functionality was retained, and the lower leg armor is too dark I think, but overall he's pretty great!

IetTsFQ.png

Cool! The colours are mostly present in the right spots. The green is sparse but distributed well enough to not detract from the overall look. The gunmetal seems like it popped out of nowhere though. I like the simplicity of the model, and the spine is implemented extremely well. I love Zaktan and you didn't disappoint in delivering a solid remake.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg