Farewell, G1; Hello, G2! (Video)

TheSkeletonMan939

This is something I've been tinkering with for a long while now. Ever since BIONICLE's return was announced officially, I knew I wanted to do something to celebrate its comeback. I've been a fan of the line since 2005 - a decade now - and it's held a special place in my heart ever since that day I picked up issue 22 - "Monsters in the Dark". At first I thought of making a music video, but I’d done that so many times before… and anything I could do, Vrahno’s already done better with his own music videos. Then a little seedling of an idea sprouted in the magnificent garden that is my brilliant mind: Vakama saying something about the legend of the Bionicle while the new BIONICLE logo flashed in the background. The concept grew from there.

What I've edited here is a compilation of sorts, a mash-up of some Generation 2 dialogue with various videos from Generation 1 - my way of saying "Farewell!" to BIONICLE's initial ten-year run and transitioning into Generation 2. I wanted to showcase some of the more prominent moments from BIONICLE history in a linear fashion, and I think I did that pretty well. 

The music I used is the Interstellar trailer edit of Confidential Music’s “View from the Voyager”. I added in most of the sound effects myself (sound editing is really fun!). I used the highest quality sources of video I could find for this, so watch it in HD!

Love it? Like it? Think I could do better? Lemme know what you think!   :)

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 15

What was really Good. Almost brought a tear to my eye. Had I not been drained due to a prior event I am not sure I wouldn't have...

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Really awesome editing, combining really pivotal moments of G1 with the new clips from G2. It creates a nice parallel and the sound editing makes it feel really epic. I feel the sudden cuts to black are a little overdone, and if used sparingly could have been more powerful. The ending of the trailer though - wow, that gave me goosebumps all around. Just a fantastic idea with an excellent execution. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I feel the sudden cuts to black are a little overdone, and if used sparingly could have been more powerful. The ending of the trailer though - wow, that gave me goosebumps all around.

One of my pet peeves in film trailers today is how just about every scene cuts to black... though looking at the video now I see I've made the same mistake! Oh well; I can just say that the video is "trendy". :P

The ending was supposed to be the best part, so I'm glad you liked it!

• 1 month later...

Shivers down my spine at the very end.

That's EXACTLY the type of reaction I wanted to create. Glad to hear that I succeeded!

That animation's from some old 2002 VHS tape that I think toy stores would play on TVs in the background. Very cool stuff, some of it unseen (like the Turaga Vakama animation I used). Here's a link to the file, though I don't know who the primary source is...

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

This is fantastic! It brings back fond memories of younger me watching the animations and movies and playing the games for hours on end, reading the books and memorizing the story until I could recite it from memory, competing in contests, and ultimately joining the community. This makes me so happy.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

That animation's from some old 2002 VHS tape that I think toy stores would play on TVs in the background. Very cool stuff, some of it unseen (like the Turaga Vakama animation I used). Here's a link to the file, though I don't know who the primary source is...

Is there a copy of that video somewhere that's in English? I want to know what they're saying, but I don't speak German (if that's the language it's in, which I don't know for sure because I don't speak it).

• 1 month later...

NuvcL5t.jpg?1

I thoroughly enjoyed that. :D You've got yourself another subscriber. 

Edited by Iku
  • Upvote 1

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

• 2 weeks later...

- I forgot how awesome Makuta's voice was

- Nice use of G2 voices to fill the empty part at the beginning

- Nice job in separating the voices from the soundtrack!

- I've never seen the part where Turaga Vakama talks to Jala

- Nice montage of course, only complaint is that the sound cuts are a wee bit harsh, lets you think that you reached the end of the clip

Edited by rednas3636

TheSkeletonMan939, Twister92, SPIRIT and Gatanui are awesome for uploading soundtracks and games and stuff.

Good thing you didn't do a Bionicle music video, because there already over 9001 of them (And I'm getting really sick and annoyed of them all).

Anyways this is a pretty good video but the MNOG really sticks out from everything else.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I have to agree with the above comment on the sound cuts being a bit too harsh though. They seem out of place compared to the rest of the video.

Yeah... I shoulda been more careful about how I used those.

the MNOG really sticks out from everything else.

In a good way or a bad way?

You've done a great job here! I like the various clips and sound bites, although my one criticism would be how suddenly some of the sound clips cut off; if you had them fade out, it would be less obvious that they're all separate clips. Otherwise, good work! As you can see by the reactions, you've done a good job of awakening everyone's nostalgia. :)

• 3 months later...