The Quest for Amiibo: REVIEW

Voltex

I posted a blog entry requesting for story prompts. The quote below inspired this epic.

The Toa go on an amiibo hunt.

gallery_96949_301_103328.jpg

I plan to dedicate each chapter to two of the battles between a Toa and a member of the Skull Army; I estimate that this epic will be approximately 6 or 7 chapters long. I shall be updating this epic as I write it; as such, you can expect Chapter 2 to go up within the next three days.

THE CHAPTERS

Story Topic

So - what are your thoughts? Which member of the Skull Army will each Toa fight? Which of the Toa shall fall, according to prophecy?

Theorize! Comment! Critique and rip it apart! I beg of you!

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 2

This is the funniest, but at the same time most serious, epics spawned from a joke topic. It is well written and...

Okay, I can't do this. I was struggling to contain my laughter while reading this. The concept is just so silly... and the writing is actually good... It's hilariously awesome. I need more of this.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

That's it, I'm pushing for an Epicomedy forum...

...this is actually really well written and incorporates all the amiibo (that you have, at least) really well. I look forward to seeing more of this just because I'm still in disbelief that you wrote this.

(Next up: Tahu vs. Tahu 3: The Amiibo-Words)

The long awaited third season of TA:OT is finally here!!

This is a hilarious concept.

The discussions of Tahu and the Protector of Fanboy Fire are quite funny.

I really wanted to just have a whole scene with the Protector of Fire gushing and fanboying all over an exasperated Tahu, but since it wouldn't have any relevance to the plot I decided to keep it as it is.

The Concept is nice, But Shouldn't this be more suited to the Comedy Library?

Also, I have an Idea. Somehow incorporate the Defective Amiibos that have sold for thousands.

Defective Amiibos... a good idea, although I'm not certain I can fit them in.

As for whether it is a comedy or not, I am personally a believer that we should only have Short Stories and Epics forums. My primary intent with this story is not to make people laugh, although many scenes will be rather lighthearted and I will use said scenes to humorous if I so desire. But I think it is serious enough (especially towards the end) to merit its placement in the Epics forum.

This is the funniest, but at the same time most serious, epics spawned from a joke topic. It is well written and...

Okay, I can't do this. I was struggling to contain my laughter while reading this. The concept is just so silly... and the writing is actually good... It's hilariously awesome. I need more of this.

The concept was one of the more absurd ones given to me, but also plays very well into my current interests. It helped that the overall plot was mapped out in about five minutes; it inspired me more than any of the other prompts given (hence why this one is first).

It was originally just going to be a oneshot, but then as I was writing I realized that it was going to need a few chapters.

That's it, I'm pushing for an Epicomedy forum...

...this is actually really well written and incorporates all the amiibo (that you have, at least) really well. I look forward to seeing more of this just because I'm still in disbelief that you wrote this.

(Next up: Tahu vs. Tahu 3: The Amiibo-Words)

Help me push for a library merger and perhaps you'll get your wish. :P 

This story isn't meant to include all of the Amiibo I have; after all, I own a couple from Wave 3 with more on the way. 18 just fit the bill better - I was originally just going to use Wave 1, but realized that I needed six rare Amiibo figures, which was more easily done by including Wave 2.

This is nothing that I ever expected but everything that I could have wanted!

Very nice introduction chapter, the pacing is well done and the overall plot establishment is just like what one could expect from Greg Farshtey himself. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes in the future!

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

As usual, Mr. Voltex has managed to craft a tale that blends the ordinary with the absurd in a quite convincing manner. 

Ripping epic to shreds, as requested. *puts on critic hat*

At the sound of the excited, high pitched voice, the Protector of Fire turned to see that his son had - as usual - snuck down into the catacombs with him. Giving his son a small smile, the Protector of Fire turned back to look at the carvings thoughtfully before asking, “is what true?”

He's not doing a very good job of sneaking, more like following. Also, catacombs implies that the area is a tomb for dead bodies. I'm not sure you intended that. 

Scalpers

Nice. 

The younger figure scampered on a head, skidding to a halt at the foot of a massive stone statue of what the legends foretold to be the heroic leader of the Toa - Tahu, Master of Fire, with his magma shield and golden swords. The two gazed at the statue in silence for several minutes before the Protector of Fire turned away.

This is totally non-canon ( :P), but if this culture has high regard for plastic figures (that pun wasn't intended), then I suppose statues of Toa wouldn't be unprecedented. 

Also, dude, Tahu is hot, not cool, PoF. Do not insult Kopaka. 

“Yes, I realize that,” Tahu said impatiently, “but I really need some answers. All I remember is my name, and all I have gotten out of you is your… title? I do not know what a Protector of Fire is, except that it appears to be you.”

[...]

“What are these?” he asked, examining a red-colored mask carved into the wall. “This looks like mine.”

This Tahu knows things he shouldn't. While suddenly knowing who the PoF is could have been off-screen dialogue, a memory-less Tahu with no mirror wouldn't recognize his own mask. Unless he took it off or something. 

Amnesia, remember?

How does Tahu know what amnesia is? Also brilliant juxtoposition, but you're fast convincing me that Tahu's amnesia is fake. Not sure that was intended...

No comment to the Amiibo explanational thing. My knowledge of Nintendo figures is worse than Tahu.

Taking a deep breath, Tahu slowly sank to the floor, crossing his legs as he sat down and closed his eyes.

“Are you okay?” the Protector of Fire asked.

“It is… a lot to take in,” Tahu said, his eyes still closed. “Just… give me a minute.”

This is unrealistic. For one thing, a meditative state is something Tahu would have forgotten about. For another thing, meditating is out-of-character for Tahu. Onua is started to get annoyed. 

A proper hero should have been able to recall the plastic figures with ease.

Right. 

The animations quite firmly establish that Tahu doesn't know this... :P

I like the idea of the Archives, nice scene to add information and SUSPENSE.

I look forward to more anyway, despite all of my complaints. :P

This is nothing that I ever expected but everything that I could have wanted!

Very nice introduction chapter, the pacing is well done and the overall plot establishment is just like what one could expect from Greg Farshtey himself. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes in the future!

I will thank you, since I know you meant it as a compliment, but just judging from how most people seem to view Greg's writing, I don't know if I want to be compared to it. :P

As usual, Mr. Voltex has managed to craft a tale that blends the ordinary with the absurd in a quite convincing manner. 

Ripping epic to shreds, as requested. *puts on critic hat*

At the sound of the excited, high pitched voice, the Protector of Fire turned to see that his son had - as usual - snuck down into the catacombs with him. Giving his son a small smile, the Protector of Fire turned back to look at the carvings thoughtfully before asking, “is what true?”

He's not doing a very good job of sneaking, more like following. Also, catacombs implies that the area is a tomb for dead bodies. I'm not sure you intended that. 

They absolutely have dead people in one of those caves. 

Scalpers

Nice. 

I try

The younger figure scampered on a head, skidding to a halt at the foot of a massive stone statue of what the legends foretold to be the heroic leader of the Toa - Tahu, Master of Fire, with his magma shield and golden swords. The two gazed at the statue in silence for several minutes before the Protector of Fire turned away.

This is totally non-canon ( :P), but if this culture has high regard for plastic figures (that pun wasn't intended), then I suppose statues of Toa wouldn't be unprecedented. 

Also, dude, Tahu is hot, not cool, PoF. Do not insult Kopaka. 

Tahu has amnesia and doesn't know that he should be insulted

“Yes, I realize that,” Tahu said impatiently, “but I really need some answers. All I remember is my name, and all I have gotten out of you is your… title? I do not know what a Protector of Fire is, except that it appears to be you.”

[...]

“What are these?” he asked, examining a red-colored mask carved into the wall. “This looks like mine.”

This Tahu knows things he shouldn't. While suddenly knowing who the PoF is could have been off-screen dialogue, a memory-less Tahu with no mirror wouldn't recognize his own mask. Unless he took it off or something. 

He was shown his mask offscreen after it fell off and the PoF gave it back to him. Yes, I think that makes sense. That's what I'll say.

Amnesia, remember?

How does Tahu know what amnesia is? Also brilliant juxtoposition, but you're fast convincing me that Tahu's amnesia is fake. Not sure that was intended...

No comment to the Amiibo explanational thing. My knowledge of Nintendo figures is worse than Tahu.

Tahu knows amnesia because he still has muscle memory and other things, because he apparently remembers how to speak and such

Taking a deep breath, Tahu slowly sank to the floor, crossing his legs as he sat down and closed his eyes.

“Are you okay?” the Protector of Fire asked.

“It is… a lot to take in,” Tahu said, his eyes still closed. “Just… give me a minute.”

This is unrealistic. For one thing, a meditative state is something Tahu would have forgotten about. For another thing, meditating is out-of-character for Tahu. Onua is started to get annoyed. 

That's not him meditating, it's just him sitting down.

A proper hero should have been able to recall the plastic figures with ease.

Right. 

The animations quite firmly establish that Tahu doesn't know this... :P

Tahu is the most heroic, though. He must know!

I like the idea of the Archives, nice scene to add information and SUSPENSE.

I needed a way for them to know things, so I put it in

I look forward to more anyway, despite all of my complaints. :P

My replies are in blue because you made a big post >=(

Also, my replies are all only about 50% serious because it's currently 1 am EST.

• Upvote 1

You know, when I wrote that prompt I thought that it might become a short story comedy, not a multi-chapter epic. I'm not complaining though. The first chapter is great, it has a good mix of humor and world-building and I always love when absurd subjects are taken seriously. Can't wait to read more, and glad I could be of service. 

Edited by Hordaki

You know, when I wrote that prompt I thought that it might become a short story comedy, not a multi-chapter epic. I'm not complaining though. The first chapter is great, it has a good mix of humor and world-building and I always love when absurd subjects are taken seriously. Can't wait to read more, and glad I could be of service. 

I've been wondering if a story about amiibo might be possible for awhile, so your prompt just threw the perfect story at me. :P

So...when's the next chapter coming up?

I'm going to start writing it tonight, so... probably by the end of the weekend if all goes well.

• 3 weeks later...