BZPower's Nukaya Now LEGOLAND Model Builder

A few jobs in particular stand out to us LEGO fans when tied to BZPower. In December, Blog Assistant Nukaya answered the call for LEGOLAND California Model Builder interviews and, a week later, landed the job! While none can be truly as excited as she has been during her first two weeks of work and training, we can all congratulate her in having such a great career for her artistic talents. She has been recounting her move south from Oregon with BZP staffie DeeVee in her blog, where she notes of LEGOLAND, "The Tahu statue isn't red and orange, he's now red and yellow???" among other things. We all expect great things to appear on the park grounds under her building skills!

View the full article

Congrats on the job! I am envious of anyone who manages to join Lego - I'd try to apply there myself but I'm not sure how they hire writers. :P

Applying on jobs.lego.com, just like anything else, I expect. :P

I've thought of applying for a web design job. They could sure use a good one right now... :P

Congrats on the job! I am envious of anyone who manages to join Lego - I'd try to apply there myself but I'm not sure how they hire writers. :P

I've thought of applying for a web design job. They could sure use a good one right now... :P

I did actually look last week. No writers jobs right now, unfortunately. 

To clarify, Nukaya doesn't work for LEGO, she works for Merlin Entertainment, the company that owns the LEGOLAND theme parks. So a job like hers would not be posted on http://jobs.lego.com. You'd have to ask her how she found out about it.

Ah... I don't know if moving to California at this point in my life would be a wise decision anyway. :P

I've often wondered what sort of training or skills does it take to work for Lego?  I know all the jobs aren't set designing or master building, but as far as the jobs that actually interact with bricks, how does one become 'qualified' in that regard?

• Upvote 1

move along.

nothing to see here.

I've often wondered what sort of training or skills does it take to work for Lego?  I know all the jobs aren't set designing or master building, but as far as the jobs that actually interact with bricks, how does one become 'qualified' in that regard?

It depends on what sort of job you're looking at. A lot of the design positions don't involve any formal education or work experience requirements—hence why Lego set designers tend to come from such diverse backgrounds. But that's not to say they're easy to get into—in the absence of such requirements, you're judged entirely against other applicants for the position, and considering that "Lego designer" is one of the best jobs in the world and that there are so few positions available, the competition is steep. What that means is that despite the lack of formal requirements, any design education or work experience you can get is worth it if only so that you can make your application stand out.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on what sort of job you're looking at. A lot of the design positions don't involve any formal education or work experience requirements—hence why Lego set designers tend to come from such diverse backgrounds. But that's not to say they're easy to get into—in the absence of such requirements, you're judged entirely against other applicants for the position, and considering that "Lego designer" is one of the best jobs in the world and that there are so few positions available, the competition is steep. What that means is that despite the lack of formal requirements, any design education or work experience you can get is worth it if only so that you can make your application stand out.

To add to this, at LEGOLAND (at least in the mode shop I'm in) we have several builders and designers who have backgrounds that would lend well to working for LEGOLAND, such as graphic design, art, and architecture, but we also have one with twenty years of glass blowing work, another who has a philosophy degree, and my coworker who started the same time I did has a background in rapid prototyping and has worked for Hasbro in the past. While some people are really into LEGO and building things away from work, and others are not, the main things are that you have a strong ability to build, design, and think on your feet.

I went in with a really strong portfolio and was able to show my building strengths in the group and individual interviews. Being able to show "hey, I've been featured on this magazine and this website, and here's my portfolio of creations I've designed" is great. If you go in and are just like "omg, I really love LEGO bricks so much omg yay yay yay", but you don't have a portfolio to back up and show what you can do, you likely won't make it very far into the interview process. Enthusiasm for LEGOLAND and LEGO is great, but it unfortunately only gets you so far.

This article on lifehacker is about one of my coworkers, who is my team lead has a ton of great insight about this job. This is one of the few articles I've found that really describes what it is that we do at LEGOLAND, CA in our model shop. If you're interested in what it is we do every day, or are interested in potentially interviewing for LEGOLAND, I would give it a read!

Also, super legit pro tip because people are like "oh no, glue!": if you can't handle the idea of gluing LEGO bricks together, don't apply, because you will have to glue so many things. Everything is glued (because LEGOLAND would be destroyed within a day if it wasn't).

Edited by Nukaya
  • Upvote 4