THEORY: The Return of Makuta

Believe it or not, I believe I have figured out what some of the story for this August is going to be.

So, first revelation of mine: Skull Grinder is actually Makuta. Sounds totally implausible right? Well there is in fact solid evidence for this. Take the first online animation for example; notice what happens as Makuta puts on the Mask of Ultimate Power. Immediately, Makuta grows much higher than a Protector and changes color to black and red. Now that description would fit Skull Grinder but that's just a little too general to jump to such a conclusion ain't it? Fortunately there is more to it than that. As others have mentioned before, from one set to another, the box-art on the August sets moves closer and closer to... Where? Ah, to the forge where Makuta and Ekimu used to make masks. How do I know that it is the same forge? A few weeks ago there was an article about a BIONICLE booklet that appeared in a LEGO Club magazine; you can still find the article in the lower-half of third page in News Discussion. Why do I bring this up? Look at the very back page to see: there obviously is a black floating mask but look behind it; there are streams of elemental-energy flowing into the anvil/cauldron in the middle. Where else do we see this? Oh yeah! In the first BIONICLE short! It is undeniabely the same forge, but what is Makuta doing there? Que those mysterious two-colored masks:

Masks of power are gold, but their imbued elemental-energies are not. When I think of Makuta returning to his old mask-forge, I don't imagine he is thinking about making some plain ol' second-rate masks. In fact, last time I checked, Makuta was pretty bent on having his Mask of Ultimate Power. Stands to reason, if Makuta cannot find his mask, he can make it; after all, he did it before. But Makuta needs raw elemental power to do this, so where can he get a satisfiable amount? Some masks of power crafted by Ekimu might work. After attaining these masks, Makuta needs to extract their power. Since these elemental forces are within the masks, all Makuta must do is scrape away their gold coating; hence the masks being two-colored. Mask of Creation in there? Bonus! Now Makuta will be a better mask-maker than Ekimu.

As for the Skull Army, I will not make any predictions other than the Mask of Control has something to do with it. I also am not making any predictions as to why Ekimu and Makuta are now awake nor where the Mask of Creation was; for that I just have no way of knowing. Actually, calling it now, I think the original Mask of Ultimate Power is a living entity and will be involved at some point and in some way as such.

So what do you all think? Maybe? Plausible? Definitely? (or... not?)

EDIT:

Whoops! I changed my theory since I named the topic; meant to change that name. I'll ask to have it changed later.

EDIT #2:

The name has been changed; all is good now!

Edited by RahiSpeak

Interesting...

But... There's an issue.

One, if you look at the masks, they are translucent on the top half. Why would he go half-way, then deposit them in random places for his minions to find? And how did he get them from the Toa in the first place? And if the color is the only thing stopping someone from putting the masks together into one, why would Ekimu be so dimwitted as to do that?

But as for your last stuff; i'll answer some of your questions.

By what we have seen, the Mask of Creation is in some jungle area much more vegetated than wherever Lewa went. And seeing as the Toa went to a jungle temple, the Mask Maker #1 is not only somewhere within, but has his mask nearby.

As for Makuta... I think he's not awake yet, but somehow through the probably sentient Mask of Ultimate Power's control, an undead brute squad has arisen to destroy the Toa... Maybe the Toa's gold on their masks going away is something like the Nuva symbol/stones, somehow these opponents are destroying their mask power.

Well, that's my thirty-five cents on it. Any one else?

• Upvote 2

On Makuta, he was really the subject of my theory and for good reason. First, we know that Ekimu is awake so it is reasonable to say Makuta could be awake. Also, what else would you call a giant, crimson-black mask-maker who just so happens to be where Makuta used to make masks? The odds of Skull Grinder being Makuta are much greater than just being a generic bad-guy. After all, everyone has commented on how Gen2 is currently sort of a test-run; would they leave a main character out completely, such as Makuta, in the first year? Even in Gen1 got to see him within the first year! 

And for the masks, what makes you think that Makuta scattered them all over the place? Last time I checked, the box-art on all of the summer sets depicts the Skull minions inside the city. Obviously, getting the masks from the Toa is nothing difficult to contemplate either; you said so youself: "And seeing as the Toa went to a jungle temple...". Well, actually, we know that it is a city (not a temple) because of the iOS game, online videos, and because we can see the Toa reaching for their masks in the lower-right of the summer packaging, but nomatter; the Toa are in the same place as Makuta. Why would Makuta stop his work with the masks halfway? That is probably all he needs to extract their power; and seeing that a bunch of Toa are trying to get those back, "all he needs" is probably the best option for time's sake.

On Makuta, he was really the subject of my theory and for good reason. First, we know that Ekimu is awake so it is reasonable to say Makuta could be awake. Also, what else would you call a giant, crimson-black mask-maker who just so happens to be where Makuta used to make masks? The odds of Skull Grinder being Makuta are much greater than just being a generic bad-guy. After all, everyone has commented on how Gen2 is currently sort of a test-run; would they leave a main character out completely, such as Makuta, in the first year? Even in Gen1 got to see him within the first year! 

And for the masks, what makes you think that Makuta scattered them all over the place? Last time I checked, the box-art on all of the summer sets depicts the Skull minions inside the city. Obviously, getting the masks from the Toa is nothing difficult to contemplate either; you said so youself: "And seeing as the Toa went to a jungle temple...". Well, actually, we know that it is a city (not a temple) because of the iOS game, online videos, and because we can see the Toa reaching for their masks in the lower-right of the summer packaging, but nomatter; the Toa are in the same place as Makuta. Why would Makuta stop his work with the masks halfway? That is probably all he needs to extract their power; and seeing that a bunch of Toa are trying to get those back, "all he needs" is probably the best option for time's sake.

I still disagree about Skull Grinder being Makuta. Firstly, because he isn't named in a way that would suggest that (and given that the new set names generally seem to aim for clarity over subterfuge, I imagine Makuta's first appearance would be made more evident in the name of the set that contains him). Secondly, because Skull Grinder would have just as much reason to be at the Mask Forge if he were SERVING Makuta as he would if he WERE Makuta (after all, if Makuta is active and operating out of the Mask Forge, it'd make sense for him to have his minions gather the masks he seeks there). Thirdly, because Skull Grinder doesn't resemble either of Makuta's depictions in the animations. Fourthly, because his color scheme is irrelevant—he's hardly "crimson-black", just the same "transparent/silver/gunmetal of ALL the other Skull Villains (in fact, he hardly has any black on him at all). Fifthly (geez, this is a lot of reasons), Makuta not appearing in the first year makes perfect sense—it sets the stage for a more dramatic appearance in a future year without having to one-up his current appearance, it resembles the classic story where Makuta wasn't faced directly until later in the series (we hardly saw him in the first year, not really, and regardless he didn't appear in sets until the third), and it avoids giving the impression that Makuta is defeated in this year's final showdown (unlike the previous story, which implied Makuta's death or defeat repeatedly until we came to expect his return by default).

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I have a different idea about the Skull villains:

Makuta is presumably behind all the evil on the island, and uses his Mask of Control to do so. I believe he created the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders, to control an army of bugs that can control the minds of the ones whose faces they latch on to. - Somehow, the LoSS gets it, whether apart of Makuta's plan or not I'm not sure.

The summer Skull villains I think are corpses who wear Masks that reanimate their bodies, but like the skull spiders, are subject to a higher mask that controls them. This would fit in with the "knock off the mask" feature they brought back. Knock the Skull villains masks off, and they go back to being dead, and Makuta loses control of them.

However, I don't think Makuta will show up this year. My guess is that each special mask from "The Legend" will have it's own year. Next year, or the one after, we will most likely have a Makuta.

Edited by Takametru007

I still disagree about Skull Grinder being Makuta. Firstly, because he isn't named in a way that would suggest that (and given that the new set names generally seem to aim for clarity over subterfuge, I imagine Makuta's first appearance would be made more evident in the name of the set that contains him). Secondly, because Skull Grinder would have just as much reason to be at the Mask Forge if he were SERVING Makuta as he would if he WERE Makuta (after all, if Makuta is active and operating out of the Mask Forge, it'd make sense for him to have his minions gather the masks he seeks there). Thirdly, because Skull Grinder doesn't resemble either of Makuta's depictions in the animations. Fourthly, because his color scheme is irrelevant—he's hardly "crimson-black", just the same "transparent/silver/gunmetal of ALL the other Skull Villains (in fact, he hardly has any black on him at all). Fifthly (geez, this is a lot of reasons), Makuta not appearing in the first year makes perfect sense—it sets the stage for a more dramatic appearance in a future year without having to one-up his current appearance, it resembles the classic story where Makuta wasn't faced directly until later in the series (we hardly saw him in the first year, not really, and regardless he didn't appear in sets until the third), and it avoids giving the impression that Makuta is defeated in this year's final showdown (unlike the previous story, which implied Makuta's death or defeat repeatedly until we came to expect his return by default).

Remember how Ekimu is referred to in the set he is included in; he is called "Mask Maker"; Ekimu is named after what he does, Makuta may be named in a similar fashion. Perhaps Makuta has turned Ekimu smashing his face with a hammer into something sick and twisted (his face did look a little awkward after that).

Something I just noticed last night, Makuta's Mask of Control has horns on it. Normally, one would assume that was just the shape of the mask, but lo, Skull Grinder has horns too! As for the color, the animations are not 100% accurate to the set; see for yourself. The Protector of Fire is depicted as having grey hands, yellow-to-red mask, and upper-arms/thighs/elbows/knees. The Protector of Fire as seen in the set has trans-orange hands, red-to-yellow mask, and single-segment limbs (here, the armor covers the whole limb; in the animations, it covers only half). There are innacuracies in other set depictions as well but the point is that the color-scheme does not have to be exact, just close; the colors on Skull Grinder are close enough to be Makuta.

Ekimu and Makuta were put into their "eternal slumber" at the same time and the same place. When the Protectors found Ekimu, they buried him (presumablely in the city). While Makuta was not liked as much as Ekimu, it would be reasonable to say that he was buried in a similar fashion (also presumabely in the city). Whatever woke Ekimu could have awoken Makuta as well. Why does Makuta look ugly and Ekimu not? It could be any number of reasons: face-smash, corrupted by Mask of Ultimate Power, fell into a crevice; the list is endless (but probably corrupted by the Mask of Ultimate Power).

Edited by RahiSpeak

Just as far as Makuta ≈ Skull Grinder, well there's already Makuta the Mask Hoarder, so whilst that doesn't disprove anything, it seems slightly odd for them to go so quickly from one to another (I doubt they would use two different [albeit very similar] titles for one person).

I don't think there's anything unusual about going_from/having_both names, but as this story is so young & they've avoided giving many names to things (sure we have generic names of places, and Toa/Masters, but otherwise Protector, Villager, etc. are all very straight forward; Ekimu a Mask Maker, that's about it.)

Sure he could be collecting them to break them down etc, but how much is really added by using both names...?

• Upvote 2

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Remember how Ekimu is referred to in the set he is included in; he is called "Mask Maker"; Ekimu is named after what he does, Makuta may be named in a similar fashion. Perhaps Makuta has turned Ekimu smashing his face with a hammer into something sick and twisted (his face did look a little awkward after that).

Something I just noticed last night, Makuta's Mask of Control has horns on it. Normally, one would assume that was just the shape of the mask, but lo, Skull Grinder has horns too! As for the color, the animations are not 100% accurate to the set; see for yourself. The Protector of Fire is depicted as having grey hands, yellow-to-red mask, and upper-arms/thighs/elbows/knees. The Protector of Fire as seen in the set has trans-orange hands, red-to-yellow mask, and single-segment limbs (here, the armor covers the whole limb; in the animations, it covers only half). There are innacuracies in other set depictions as well but the point is that the color-scheme does not have to be exact, just close; the colors on Skull Grinder are close enough to be Makuta.

Ekimu and Makuta were put into their "eternal slumber" at the same time and the same place. When the Protectors found Ekimu, they buried him (presumablely in the city). While Makuta was not liked as much as Ekimu, it would be reasonable to say that he was buried in a similar fashion (also presumabely in the city). Whatever woke Ekimu could have awoken Makuta as well. Why does Makuta look ugly and Ekimu not? It could be any number of reasons: face-smash, corrupted by Mask of Ultimate Power, fell into a crevice; the list is endless (but probably corrupted by the Mask of Ultimate Power).

Yes, Ekimu is referred to as "Mask Maker". That's a title that makes sense, because he has been referred to as such from the get-go. "Skull Grinder" hardly gives any indication of the character being Makuta, and as I mentioned, the point of the descriptive titles this year is to make characters' roles MORE obvious, not less so.

The color schemes of things in the animations are, occasionally, subtly different from the sets. But your point about color scheme relied primarily on the "red and black" colors that are commonly associated with Makuta. And Skull Grinder isn't even close—unlike the Protector of Fire, his Trans. Fluor. Reddish Orange are the ONLY parts that could pass for red, and otherwise he's overwhelmingly silver like the other Skull Villains—not even mistakable for black.

On top of that, keep in mind that we've seen Makuta in two different masks so far—you'd think that when he DOES appear he'd be wearing one of those two masks, yet Skull Grinder doesn't wear either—in fact, he has the same exact face as Skull Warrior, who in turn appears as just one member of a vast army of Skull Warriors on his own boxart.

Makuta IS in fact awakening. We know that for certain, because that's been the main thrust of several story summaries. But just because he's awakening doesn't prove that he'll be appearing as a set, much less that he ALREADY appears in a set under a non-indicative name. If Makuta is anything like he was in G1, he'd be perfectly content working from the shadows. As for Ekimu, I think we can assume that he is in fact awakened directly by the actions of the Toa—that would make perfect sense as a step the Toa would take as part of their quest to save Okoto.

So ould Skull Grinder turn out to be Makuta? I won't say it's impossible. But given what we've seen so far we've seen little indication that that's the case, and there are a fair number of reasons to assume that it isn't.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

May I ask how we know Ekimu is awake? Other then "just because he has a figure out"? I'm asking because I keep hearing it but was wondering if maybe he is going the route of Mata-Nui in the the Toa are on a mission to awaken him, however keep getting distracted. This could hold true to the concept that Makuta does not want Ekimu awakened so that he could be renowned as the best/only mask maker. So he sends all these creatures and villains after the Toa to impede their way to their goal of waking up Ekimu. I mean why not right? Though somehow Ekimu is able to talk to the Toa through their masks. Much in the way he spoke to the Original Protectors after they found his seemingly lifeless body.

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

May I ask how we know Ekimu is awake? Other then "just because he has a figure out"? I'm asking because I keep hearing it but was wondering if maybe he is going the route of Mata-Nui in the the Toa are on a mission to awaken him, however keep getting distracted. This could hold true to the concept that Makuta does not want Ekimu awakened so that he could be renowned as the best/only mask maker. So he sends all these creatures and villains after the Toa to impede their way to their goal of waking up Ekimu. I mean why not right? Though somehow Ekimu is able to talk to the Toa through their masks. Much in the way he spoke to the Original Protectors after they found his seemingly lifeless body.

That would be a good idea, except that Ekimu is included in a set battling a villain that we can safely assume is real and in a location that we know is real. If Ekimu were not awake, he would not be depicted as battling a tangible villain in a tangible location. 

Yes, Ekimu is referred to as "Mask Maker". That's a title that makes sense, because he has been referred to as such from the get-go. "Skull Grinder" hardly gives any indication of the character being Makuta, and as I mentioned, the point of the descriptive titles this year is to make characters' roles MORE obvious, not less so.

The color schemes of things in the animations are, occasionally, subtly different from the sets. But your point about color scheme relied primarily on the "red and black" colors that are commonly associated with Makuta. And Skull Grinder isn't even close—unlike the Protector of Fire, his Trans. Fluor. Reddish Orange are the ONLY parts that could pass for red, and otherwise he's overwhelmingly silver like the other Skull Villains—not even mistakable for black.

On top of that, keep in mind that we've seen Makuta in two different masks so far—you'd think that when he DOES appear he'd be wearing one of those two masks, yet Skull Grinder doesn't wear either—in fact, he has the same exact face as Skull Warrior, who in turn appears as just one member of a vast army of Skull Warriors on his own boxart.

Makuta IS in fact awakening. We know that for certain, because that's been the main thrust of several story summaries. But just because he's awakening doesn't prove that he'll be appearing as a set, much less that he ALREADY appears in a set under a non-indicative name. If Makuta is anything like he was in G1, he'd be perfectly content working from the shadows. As for Ekimu, I think we can assume that he is in fact awakened directly by the actions of the Toa—that would make perfect sense as a step the Toa would take as part of their quest to save Okoto.

So ould Skull Grinder turn out to be Makuta? I won't say it's impossible. But given what we've seen so far we've seen little indication that that's the case, and there are a fair number of reasons to assume that it isn't.

"Skull Grinder" may not be an indicative name for Makuta now it may be later. As you said, the titles are supposed to make the characters' roles more obvious. Obviously, why Makuta would be called "Skull Grinder" is not readily apparent, but after his current position has been established in-story that title may help to solidify his place.

On colors, Skull Grinder may have been changed to gunmetal instead of black after the animations. Being that the Mask of Ultimate Power is black and shadowy, Makuta would also be depicted as black and shadowy. In the sets however, others of the Skull Army were gunmetal. Skull Grinder would look out of place if he were black and might even look a little odd. Considering that many of the parts we have seen are prototypes, it is not totally unforseeable that black-to-gunmetal could have been a "last minute" change. And remember what I said earlier:

Something I just noticed last night, Makuta's Mask of Control has horns on it. Normally, one would assume that was just the shape of the mask, but lo, Skull Grinder has horns too! 

Why would I assume that Makuta would be wearing the Mask of Control or the Mask of Ultimate Power? I think it was pretty obvious that he was not wearing either mask after Ekimu whacked the Mask of Ultimate Power of of his face. So of course his face looks like that of the Skull Warrior, he's had a rough time. Besides, I've mentioned in another topic that "nothing says 'bad-guy' quite like a skull". If Makuta is going to play the role of major bad-guy like he did in Gen1 (or one step below the Mask of Ultimate Power), he certainly looks the part.

Edited by RahiSpeak

That would be a good idea, except that Ekimu is included in a set battling a villain that we can safely assume is real and in a location that we know is real. If Ekimu were not awake, he would not be depicted as battling a tangible villain in a tangible location. 

"Skull Grinder" may not be an indicative name for Makuta now it may be later. As you said, the titles are supposed to make the characters' roles more obvious. Obviously, why Makuta would be called "Skull Grinder" is not readily apparent, but after his current position has been established in-story that title may help to solidify his place.

On colors, Skull Grinder may have been changed to gunmetal instead of black after the animations. Being that the Mask of Ultimate Power is black and shadowy, Makuta would also be depicted as black and shadowy. In the sets however, others of the Skull Army were gunmetal. Skull Grinder would look out of place if he were black and might even look a little odd. Considering that many of the parts we have seen are prototypes, it is not totally unforseeable that black-to-gunmetal could have been a "last minute" change. And remember what I said earlier:

Something I just noticed last night, Makuta's Mask of Control has horns on it. Normally, one would assume that was just the shape of the mask, but lo, Skull Grinder has horns too! 

Why would I assume that Makuta would be wearing the Mask of Control or the Mask of Ultimate Power? I think it was pretty obvious that he was not wearing either mask after Ekimu whacked the Mask of Ultimate Power of of his face. So of course his face looks like that of the Skull Warrior, he's had a rough time. Besides, I've mentioned in another topic that "nothing says 'bad-guy' quite like a skull". If Makuta is going to play the role of major bad-guy like he did in Gen1 (or one step below the Mask of Ultimate Power), he certainly looks the part.

I noticed this too. Maybe Makuta is wearing something like this: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/bionicle/images/5/57/Olisi_original.png/revision/latest?cb=20080831224223

cringe

See that is exactly the answer I was not looking for. Yes he is in a set for the Summer, and yes it is with a character called Skull Grinder, however that is not definitive proof Ekimu is/will be awake for the Summer story. Maybe Skull Grinder is hunting down Ekimu to destroy him and we know that Ekimu has a physical form. It was shown in the very first animation clip. So while a release could show a possibility of his revival... It seems more speculative then proof positive.

So I may ask again... is there any more evidence that Ekimu is or otherwise will be awaken in the next story? Other than having a set release. I mean he apparently can communicate thought some other means while his body is in a lifeless sleep as he has done it twice in story already. The first being part of the Legend where the Protectors that found him heard his voice through their masks and learned then of the Toa. The second seems to be after the Toa "Defeat" the LoSS and travel into the Great City. Tahu and I believe it is stated the others as well heard Ekimu calling out to them via their masks...

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

See that is exactly the answer I was not looking for. Yes he is in a set for the Summer, and yes it is with a character called Skull Grinder, however that is not definitive proof Ekimu is/will be awake for the Summer story. Maybe Skull Grinder is hunting down Ekimu to destroy him and we know that Ekimu has a physical form. It was shown in the very first animation clip. So while a release could show a possibility of his revival... It seems more speculative then proof positive.

So I may ask again... is there any more evidence that Ekimu is or otherwise will be awaken in the next story? Other than having a set release. I mean he apparently can communicate thought some other means while his body is in a lifeless sleep as he has done it twice in story already. The first being part of the Legend where the Protectors that found him heard his voice through their masks and learned then of the Toa. The second seems to be after the Toa "Defeat" the LoSS and travel into the Great City. Tahu and I believe it is stated the others as well heard Ekimu calling out to them via their masks...

The set release really should be proof enough. In the set, Ekimu is wearing the Protector Mask he was laid to rest in (proving that that depiction of him represents a point AFTER the prologue), and he's battling a villain who has not yet been seen in the story. Unless the set depicts some sort of "dream sequence" (highly unlikely, given the core intent of the new theme's story being to make things simple to understand), then the conflict in the set is very clearly one that has yet to happen. And seeing as the set is being released this year, there's little doubt that the story events associated with it will also take place before the year is through.

If I might ask, what alternative explanation can you proffer for the contents and presentation of the Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder set? Because if you can't come up with a solid explanation, then the prevailing theory (that Ekimu will in fact be awakened within the year) should still stand.

• Upvote 1

" Maybe Skull Grinder is hunting down Ekimu to destroy him and we know that Ekimu has a physical form. It was shown in the very first animation clip. So while a release could show a possibility of his revival... It seems more speculative then proof positive."

Prowl Nightwolf quote

Yes you are correct and I agree fully some form of conflict is happening within the set however the specifics of said conflict are not. So we see Ekimu with his Protector mask as that is how he was left... With this I agree with you as well. However having that mask in set does not mean he is awake definitively as he received said mask not under his own Power as the Toa have, but was laid to rest with it. So the Release depicts just that; Ekimu's state as he was buried. Now for the Mask of Creation... It was/is Ekimu's original mask and seeing as how I am guessing TLG are releasing 1 of 3 masks per year it seems logical that the Mask maker set would receive the Mask Maker's mask. This seems to be the general consensus when anyone asks if we are going to get the Mask of Control or Ultimate Power this year or down the line.

Now we know Ekimu needs to be awakened, the Toa are here to do that. Now there is something sinister afoot trying to stop them. Perhaps Makuta behind the scenes, perhaps a sentient MoUP, perhaps none of the above and the Island itself is just mad at the lot of them for Makuta breaking the sacred rule (Note: Not a giant robot reference, talking spiritual here like mother nature type stuff). So now we have Skull Grinder who may or may not be a leader of this Skull army. Who does he want to go after? Why not Ekimu the mask maker... Enter the set release "Mask maker VS Skull Grinder". Skull Grinder knows- either as Makuta, controlled by Makuta, or just influenced by Makuta, - that revival of Ekimu is a bad idea and moves to prevent such a act. That I believe is what the set is depicting... Not so much an outright battle between the Two personally.

Onua.png

" Maybe Skull Grinder is hunting down Ekimu to destroy him and we know that Ekimu has a physical form. It was shown in the very first animation clip. So while a release could show a possibility of his revival... It seems more speculative then proof positive."

Prowl Nightwolf quote

Yes you are correct and I agree fully some form of conflict is happening within the set however the specifics of said conflict are not. So we see Ekimu with his Protector mask as that is how he was left... With this I agree with you as well. However having that mask in set does not mean he is awake definitively as he received said mask not under his own Power as the Toa have, but was laid to rest with it. So the Release depicts just that; Ekimu's state as he was buried. Now for the Mask of Creation... It was/is Ekimu's original mask and seeing as how I am guessing TLG are releasing 1 of 3 masks per year it seems logical that the Mask maker set would receive the Mask Maker's mask. This seems to be the general consensus when anyone asks if we are going to get the Mask of Control or Ultimate Power this year or down the line.

Now we know Ekimu needs to be awakened, the Toa are here to do that. Now there is something sinister afoot trying to stop them. Perhaps Makuta behind the scenes, perhaps a sentient MoUP, perhaps none of the above and the Island itself is just mad at the lot of them for Makuta breaking the sacred rule (Note: Not a giant robot reference, talking spiritual here like mother nature type stuff). So now we have Skull Grinder who may or may not be a leader of this Skull army. Who does he want to go after? Why not Ekimu the mask maker... Enter the set release "Mask maker VS Skull Grinder". Skull Grinder knows- either as Makuta, controlled by Makuta, or just influenced by Makuta, - that revival of Ekimu is a bad idea and moves to prevent such a act. That I believe is what the set is depicting... Not so much an outright battle between the Two personally.

The boxart pretty clearly shows him awake and fighting Skull Grinder, and you can rest assured that accompanying media will as well. The whole reason for including both figures in the set is to provide conflict between them and facilitate that sort of play experience. Kids like buying characters with agency, because they offer clear and obvious play scenarios—there's much less appeal to buying a character who is in a vegetative state.

The problem with your argument is it could literally be applied to anything. How do we know Ekimu is awake? Well, conversely—how do we know that the Skull Villains are "awake"? They might just be inanimate corpses. But of course that doesn't make any sense, and all the promotional material (boxart, etc.) that we've seen suggests that they are living, or at the very least, undead. If that's enough to go on in their case then it's enough to assume Ekimu is awake and active as well.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

I have a feeling no matter what I say you are going to argue the point that because the package shows something then that is canon. Lease I directly you to the comics on the other packages that don't or may not be canon. I can agree with you that kids don't want to play with vegetable character, and I am in know way stating Ekimu's figure is that. I merely am asking for a reason other than package art or that they have a set with him to show that he could very well be awakened in the current story. You have not provided that as you keep directing me to the Package itself. That's like me asking for proof of color other than blue and you keep showing me blue and saying here is color.

Now I believe I have already said it or otherwise implied it that the Ekimu set could be used for enacting the burial as that is when he received his Protector Mask. That does not mean the set is only for that as it comes with the Mask of Creation for pre-slumber playability. Yes at some point in the story I expect Ekimu to be awakened however we got 3 years to look forward to. So... your move...

Do I get the color Blue again or is there another answer?

Onua.png

Hmm... so let me see if I understand what you are trying to communicate: are you saying that the summer-wave of sets actually preceed the current sets? If you are, then the clear problem is that the BIONICLE reboot has just begun and it would simply be too early to start introducing prequels. I mean sure, we don't know too much about this current point in time and perhaps some history would shed some light on things, but we have just met the Toa and that would be really bad story-telling to just leave them hanging there without developing them more first. I don't think LEGO is all that bad at telling a story.

If you are not implying that the summer-wave of sets takes place in the past then I have no idea what you have been talking about this whole time. Lyichir and I have been going back and forth because we cannot know anything for certain until August finally arrives. Nonetheless, we can reach a concensous on what is to be most likely. The problem with your theory is that we have seen the ultimate in official and it is by officiality that we can determine with 100% certainty what is or what isn't. Whatever point in time is being depicted, Ekimu is awake and battling Skull Grinder. Period. That picture on the box can neither 100% prove nor 100% disprove my theory that Makuta is Skull Grinder, but it can prove with 100% certainty that the set takes place in a time when Ekimu is awake. And considering the fact that the whole city appears to be abandoned and how awkward of a story it would be otherwise, it most likely (to the point where we can really say "absolutely") that it occurs in the present. I mean, we have an image of the official product, what more can we really discuss about it?

• Upvote 2

Well I was not exactly saying the summer sets as a whole were based in the past, though now that it is brought up, If these Skull villains are past warriors brought back to life somehow then I could see the Ekimu vs Skull Grinder could be a depiction of a past battle. Though I am not suggesting that either. What I am saying is that the set with Ekimu can be played as his past self(MoCr) his sleeping self(Prot) or future self when he does wake up. What I am looking for is an answer to the question:

"How do we know Ekimu is awake for the summer story going along with the release?"

Other than package art. We know something is going on between Ekimu and Skull Grinder be him Makuta transformed or controlled. From a marketing standpoint as stated above it would make sense to have both characters depicted in action. While it would have been cool to see Skull Grinder hovering over a sleeping Ekimu in art; kids may not like such a visual as such and thus play with a "vegetable character" becomes unappealing and sales loss could develop. This is why I don't believe the package or display models. So people keep saying Ekimu will be awake for the Summer story but so far the only evidence I see is "Because we have a set with him." Well no offence but that is not really good enough for me.

Ekimu in the set could be there by request of the fans; the fact that Ekimu has a physical form; as seen in both the Legend and as the story progresses and the Toa find him. This does not mean he is awake in the summer story as the villains would be a nice distraction for the Toa preventing them from succeeding in their task of waking him right now. So unless a story transcript comes up or alike, where is all this information people are getting that says Ekimu is awake?

This is all I was asking for and since it does not yet seem to exist... It was just a comment I had.

Onua.png

The comics on the packages may not line up 100% with the canon. However, they still GENERALLY depict events from the stories—the Toa meet the Protectors, get their gold masks, fight the Skull Spiders. The point of those comics is to provide an abbreviated form of the story so kids can know the good guy, the bad guy, and the basic conflict. What they DON'T do is depict conflicts that could not possibly exist due to one of the packaged characters (an ACTION FIGURE, mind you, with a FUNCTION no less) being in a persistent vegetative state for the duration of the story.

It would be beyond stupid for Lego to base an entire set on a conflict that doesn't exist and COULDN'T exist in the story, particularly when the WHOLE GOAL of the Bionicle reboot was to make things more streamlined and less confusing or complex. People keep looking for reasons not to trust what is right in front of their eyes, and frankly it's just moronic.

So whatever. Go ahead and keep on insisting that Lego is lying to us about whatever obvious thing is presented to us. But I'm sick of arguing with people who can't even comprehend the most commonsense aspects of action figure marketing.

• Upvote 1

It would be beyond stupid for Lego to base an entire set on a conflict that doesn't exist and COULDN'T exist in the story, particularly when the WHOLE GOAL of the Bionicle reboot was to make things more streamlined and less confusing or complex. People keep looking for reasons not to trust what is right in front of their eyes, and frankly it's just moronic.

So whatever. Go ahead and keep on insisting that Lego is lying to us about whatever obvious thing is presented to us. But I'm sick of arguing with people who can't even comprehend the most commonsense aspects of action figure marketing.

I don't think that this particular conflict couldn't exist. I think that awakening Ekimu in the present is most certainly possible - it was implied in the Prophecy of Heroes wall - and there's evidence that he could wake up in the future. What you're saying is the most likely possibility. 

But saying that's the ONLY possibility is a bit much. There is some room for reasonable doubt until it is confirmed. That's logic. 

But I'm not arguing from logic here, I think. Frankly, having Ekimu wake up this early from a story standpoint feels awfully rushed to me. I don't like that. And saying that I'm stupid because I don't appreciate that happening...I don't like that much either. 

Bionicle, for all of its aspects, was never as neatly straightforward. It was a subversive story, full of unknowns and big surprises and crazy changes. Things being not quite as they appear is something we have come to expect from Bionicle. It's one of those things that I enjoyed about Bionicle. I know I'm not alone. 

If you don't like it that way, that's fair. But insulting us because we would like something different to happen really isn't. Yes, we may be not looking at things in the most logical, straightforward way. But I would like for them not to rush the story into big plot point so early, so I would like to explore the possibilities of what else that set could represent so the story doesn't come out so bad. You're probably right, but I hope you're wrong.

• Upvote 4

Hey, I know I was surprised to find out Ekimu would be coming out in the summer wave; fishers64 has a point that it seems awfully early for what we'd expect to be a main conflict (waking up Ekimu) to be resolved.  I can see where Prowl Nightwolf is coming from too; maybe our set Ekimu is like a fantasy of what it'd be like if he were to wake up already, maybe the toa reach the forge and find his body but he still sleeps (and the set just puts that body into plastic form)... there's a lot of possibilities that can keep our little Mask Maker slumbering into the future.  But ultimately, yeah, it's most likely Ekimu is waking up already.

Which is why I like the idea that Skull Grinder = Makuta, it sets up an epic confrontation between the two brothers, and right in the first year too!  I was actually thinking-- we don't really know what happens to Makuta after the battle with Ekimu, right?  Ekimu's laid to rest in his fancy sarcophagus, but Makuta's just left to rot... and maybe that's exactly what happens-- he rots into a skeleton (maybe losing his red and black color scheme in the process, leaving only gunmetal bones) and re-emerges as the Skull Grinder.  That'd explain his skeletal appearance, as well as maybe his name in the set, if the decaying and return were a rebirth of sorts.

8NHf8fu.png

Everything is some kind of a plot, man.

Which is why I like the idea that Skull Grinder = Makuta, it sets up an epic confrontation between the two brothers, and right in the first year too!  I was actually thinking-- we don't really know what happens to Makuta after the battle with Ekimu, right?  Ekimu's laid to rest in his fancy sarcophagus, but Makuta's just left to rot... and maybe that's exactly what happens-- he rots into a skeleton (maybe losing his red and black color scheme in the process, leaving only gunmetal bones) and re-emerges as the Skull Grinder.  That'd explain his skeletal appearance, as well as maybe his name in the set, if the decaying and return were a rebirth of sorts.

You know I kind of seeing this as a viable option. I mean think hard on it (but not too hard). In the Legend it is said both brother's are knocked into a lifeless sleep. Well Being liked and valued much more so than Makuta; Ekimu was buried properly and his body preserved for the day he could be awakened again. Now as for Makuta; well let's just dig a hole and throw him in it.... Where Ekimu's body is preserved and Protected, Makuta's is left to the furry of the elements. Safe to say he did not age well over these past generations...

Onua.png

Which is why I like the idea that Skull Grinder = Makuta, it sets up an epic confrontation between the two brothers, and right in the first year too! I was actually thinking-- we don't really know what happens to Makuta after the battle with Ekimu, right? Ekimu's laid to rest in his fancy sarcophagus, but Makuta's just left to rot... and maybe that's exactly what happens-- he rots into a skeleton (maybe losing his red and black color scheme in the process, leaving only gunmetal bones) and re-emerges as the Skull Grinder. That'd explain his skeletal appearance, as well as maybe his name in the set, if the decaying and return were a rebirth of sorts.

You know I kind of seeing this as a viable option. I mean think hard on it (but not too hard). In the Legend it is said both brother's are knocked into a lifeless sleep. Well Being liked and valued much more so than Makuta; Ekimu was buried properly and his body preserved for the day he could be awakened again. Now as for Makuta; well let's just dig a hole and throw him in it.... Where Ekimu's body is preserved and Protected, Makuta's is left to the furry of the elements. Safe to say he did not age well over these past generations...
Something else to keep in mind is that even the organic characters in Gen1 had metallic skeletons. Now here we are in Gen2 and all the skeletons include a heavy use of gunmetal while keeping the transparent colors. So Makuta losing his black-color and keeping the orange/red is not too far fetched! Edited by RahiSpeak