Of Egos, Elders, Exoskeletons, and Enigmas

Originally, this started as a gen2 update of my self-moc, which... I don't have access to at the moment. But with the parts left over, I decided to make another... and then another... and then another....

Well. four sets went in...

IMG_0044.jpg

Four MOCs came out.

IMG_0046.jpgIMG_0047.jpg

This is Vzzlalzvzszmmzch, which translates literally to "Makes Net Out Of Air," but most people who know him call him Masterweaver. He'll buzz through Okoto on occasion, offering to trade with the Protectors, and has garnered a reputation as something of a con man which he will laughingly deny. His species has a natural talent for languages, able to speak in any tongue they hear, and as a result Masterweaver has a number of rare and exotic artifacts which he stores, somehow, in a secret pocket dimension. Of course, a traveler in this day and age should be armed, and Weaver's spear launcher is certainly a threatening weapon, but he does not seek out conflict... only friendly customers.

IMG_0049.jpgIMG_0052.jpg

The original Masterweaver self-moc was built mostly out of Suukorak, with a few other interesting pieces. Vahki launchers as a two-pair of wings, rahkshi feet, a central body assemblage to keep the thing vertical... I ended up with a white dragonfly look. The gen-2 sets don't support as thin a core body as I would have liked, but I think I pulled off that lean lanky look I wanted. Of course you can't go dragonfly without the wings; I tried to actually make the wings have a gear function so they could buzz, but I couldn't figure it out so in the end he just has a pair of big drooping half-ovals. It's not bad, though.

IMG_0050.jpgIMG_0051.jpg

One of the biggest challenges was the head. The first version was suukorak's foot, fangs, and eyes arranged around a single socket joint. I didn't have access to that for this, though, so I had to figure out how to make the basic shape with what I had. Kopaka's long armor as the "nose: was easy, but figuring out the eyes and antennae took a little bit of doing. I had to used the guurahk staff  to keep the outer antennae in a v-shape, then I added silver inner antennae to keep the guurahk staff from sticking out, then a pistoney silver armor piece as a helmet... it worked out pretty well, all things considered.

IMG_0053.jpgIMG_0054.jpg

The biggest change from the original was the weapon. Masterweaver's always been a trader, and in the original model that meant he had some pretty unique tools in his arsenal--a combo rhotuka/kanoka launcher, a zamor launcher/meelee weapon, a bottomless backpack.... For the update, I decided to slim down his armory and give him only one multipurpose weapon. It's an axe! It's a spear! It's a fully functional launcher, complete with a sighting rod for long-range sniping! Yeah, I had fun with this bit.

IMG_0048.jpg

And so we draw to a close on Masterweaver. On to the next MOC!

IMG_0055.jpgIMG_0057.jpg

Most of Okoto's protectors will wear only the basic masks of Ekimu, but a rare few earn the right to equip some of the more exotic masks of power. Whether by acts of valor or ages of wisdom, these Turaga Warriors are the elect few chosen by their villages to guide their citizens, given golden armor as a sign of their rank and considered only below Toa in their bravery. Most Turaga craft specialized tools to help channel their new powers; Turaga Pelagia here has built an ice fan, which she uses to freeze the hordes that attack the village of water.

IMG_0059.jpgIMG_0060.jpg

The ice blaster, equally functional in or out of water, channels the great power of the Mask of Ice into a spray of frozen crystals or a zub-zero fog as Pelagia sees fit. It's not as elegant as some other, more classical toa weapons--sometimes the turbines get jammed, and the stabilization tubes are a mite problematic to manuver around--but if it works, it works, and Pelagia has shown a great mastery of her new-found ability. And even without the icy power of the mask, the blaster can function as a potent defense, knocking back smaller rahi with a gust of air and disorienting the larger ones long enough for the Turaga to come up with a plan.

IMG_0062.jpg

Pelagia, once just an elderly boat-runner, earned her new position when she plowed through an attacking horde of Tarakava sharks. She's still getting used to her new duties, but she's eager to be the best Turaga warrior she can be!

IMG_0063.jpgIMG_0064.jpg

The Blixeen are newcomers to Okoto, first appearing from deep tunnels in the Region of Earth. Exactly what their purpose is hasn't been made clear, as they don't speak the language of the Protectors, but these ant-like critters are busily carving out new tunnels and gathering resources for their own ends. They don't appear to be inherently hostile, as they have let protectors by unharmed, but those that penetrate too deep into their diggings will hear the chant "Blixeen, Blixeen, Blixeen," in unnerving wispy voices... shortly before they are swarmed by the metallic creatures.

IMG_0065.jpgIMG_0066.jpg

The Blixeen have scale-like plates all over their bodies, giving them the appearance of wearing an armored dress. This, in addition to their large digging claws, makes an individual Blixeen very difficult to take down. They also have a pair of incredibly sensitive antennae, which not only alerts them to subtle shifts in the earth around them but also appear to act as some form of long-distance receiver, allowing them to hear each other through their tunnels at incredible distances. It is always wise to remember: no matter what seems to be the case, a Blixeen is never alone.

IMG_0070.jpgIMG_0072.jpg

One of the Blixeen was coaxed into handing over their sawshooter to a protector for a short while. The protector was only allowed to examine the object for ten minutes before the Blixeen took it back and left, but in that time he noted the complicated inner machinery and mysterious circutry. The sawshooter appears to be used as a rock carver, shield, melee weapon, and ranged weapon. Of particular note are the regenerative properties of the saw portion; as the protector watched, a large crack began to mend itself, binding together with bluish strands. How this works is, as of yet, a mystery.

IMG_0073.jpg

The Blixeen remain a mystery, even to those who try to make contact with them. Perhaps one day they will be understood... but for the momen, it is best to leave them to their tunnels.

IMG_0074.jpgIMG_0075.jpg

Long ago, a cult of Protectors attempted to make themselves powerful and immortal, with disastrous consequences. To this day, their skeletal remains can be spotted sprinting through the mountains, endlessly screeching as they chase after the living in hopes of bringing them into the fold. These Tainted ones never venture into the villages themselves--they could be taken down easily--but prey on the lone travelers through the mountains, lurking in the shadows until they can burst forth and surprise their former fellows.

IMG_0078.jpgIMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0079.jpgIMG_0080.jpg

Tainted ones, despite their curse, remain ever cunning craftsmen. False masks adorn their limbs and faceless skulls, used to lure the unwitting and over eager into an ambush. The creatures usually carry a basic club, carved from the rock of the mountain itself, to defend themselves and beat their victims into unconsciousness. It is the glowing ceremonial dagger, though, that most travelers should truly beware; through it the Tainted curse can be passed, leaving the protector to slowly rot and transform into a monster himself.

IMG_0076.jpg

A grim reminder of a bygone age, the Tainted ones are as mysterious as they are deadly. Do they still retain intelligence? How do they make their tools? These questions are unlikely to ever be answered.

IMG_0082.jpg

And there you have it. Four sets in, four MOCS out.

• Upvote 2