Gravity Falls Topic

Akano

RAvnJTX.png

I noticed that the old topic for this awesome show was past the revival limit, so I thought I'd try to reboot discussion. The most recent episode was Not What He Seems, and the next episode will air in June, 2015.

So, let the discussion begin!

Now that the author has been revealed, I (and I'm sure many other fans) are wondering which of the brothers is the true Grunkle, and whether either of them is in fact Mabel and Dippers grandfather, which is highly likely.

akanohi.png

Edited by Akano Toa of Electricity
  • Upvote 2

Akano's Comics
BZP's resident "MOO" obsesser. My Blag.
"Quality trumps potential every single time. Why? Because all potential means is that you might become great. Quality means that you already are." -Kahinuva
We are the Order of Absolutely Crazy People. Sometimes, that's all it takes.
My stories: Inventor of Metru Nui, My Transformation, My Transformation Part II, Inventor of Metru Nui Rewritten
qs10544.jpg
qs10544.jpg

I love this show, it has great humor and a gripping storyline. But how does a Disney comedy cartoon get away with so many dark elements? I mean, just last episode,

there were animal heads bleeding through their eyes and mouths chanting 'ancient sins' while a pretty realistic skeleton with an axe through its head crawls out of the fireplace (which we later see a flashback to when the axe killed him). How is any of this allowed on a kids show!? Not to mention the teaser for next episode which has snipers aiming at a main character before he gets tackled and arrested by SWAT.

I'm not complaining, I'm just astonished Disney (synonymous with family entertainment) lets so much get by. But anyway, this show is great and March 9th can't come soon enough.

I know! I was surprised by how much they got passed the censors. The last episode especially. Disney has pushed the envelope in the past (The Hunchback of Notre Dame comes to mind) and it's not like blood has never been shown by Disney before (Mulan), or implying that a character died (literally every villain death in any movie ever), but... huh. Actually, wow, it's not all that surprising when you think about it...

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Anyone else shipping Dipper and Pacifica?

After seeing the last episode, I can say that I am shipping them. :) Which is weird because I normally don't like shipping characters in stories. Aside from this, the only other show where I like shipping characters is Teen Wolf. 

Anyways, I am also surprised at how much Gravity Falls gets away with for a Disney show.

The Shapeshifter from 'Into the Bunker' comes to mind when I think about how dark this show can be. Seriously, that was one scary creature. Especially when it turned into that Dipper/Mabel monster towards the end. I think even Sam and Dean from Supernatural would get nightmares from encountering that creature. :P

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster
  • Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I love this show. I find it gripping and hilarious (I find Phineas & Ferb and Wander Over Yonder a little funnier but GF is very high up there) and I am literally on the edge of my seat to find out what happens next.

I freaked out at the end of Northest Mansion Noir with the scene with McGucket and the one with the agents.

Also yeah, they've had some pretty envelope-bursting stuff.

Some things that jump to mind are "When the cops are around, anything's legal!" (there was a parent that freaked out because of that xD), the Shapeshifter's Dipper/Mabel forme, its blood, the animal heads bleeding in NMN, the lumberjack's death, the Dipper's Guide to the Unexplained minisode with the giant tooth monster, "I  EA T KIDS", "McSuckit" and the list goes on.

• Upvote 3

So, I have a crazy theory that Grunkle Stan is secretly the author, or more specifically part of the author. I don't have any solid evidence yet. However, he's the most likely character we've been introduced to thus far.

That'd be fascinating. I also heard a bit of a Wild Mass Guessing theory that suggests that

Mr. Poolcheck is the author. (He has a fake hand, for starters.)

I think this would be a funny possibility, but unfortunately there isn't too much evidence to back it up. It would be amusing to say the least. :P

I love this show, it has great humor and a gripping storyline. But how does a Disney comedy cartoon get away with so many dark elements? I mean, just last episode,

there were animal heads bleeding through their eyes and mouths chanting 'ancient sins' while a pretty realistic skeleton with an axe through its head crawls out of the fireplace (which we later see a flashback to when the axe killed him). How is any of this allowed on a kids show!? Not to mention the teaser for next episode which has snipers aiming at a main character before he gets tackled and arrested by SWAT.

I'm not complaining, I'm just astonished Disney (synonymous with family entertainment) lets so much get by. But anyway, this show is great and March 9th can't come soon enough.

I was really impressed at all the dark imagery of the last episode. It felt truly haunted and scary in a way that I'm not familiar with in cartoons. A lot of "scary" stuff tends to be jump scares and weird lighting/dark shadows, but this was genuinely creepy. It reminded me a bit of the screaming head that Bill summons for Dipper in "Sock Opera."

akanohi.png

Akano's Comics
"Quality trumps potential every single time. Why? Because all potential means is that you might become great. Quality means that you already are." -Kahinuva
My stories: Inventor of Metru Nui, My Transformation, My Transformation Part II, Inventor of Metru Nui Rewritten
qs10544.jpg
qs10544.jpg

Just a couple thoughts on everyone's favorite Illuminati Dorito.

So I re-watched Dreamscaperers, and I noticed something interesting. Right after Bill left and the world returned to color, Gideon, Mabel, and Soos all had their eyes closed for a second. Like they were sleeping. One of the questions I had after Sock Opera was, if Bill can pull the teeth right out of a deer's mouth, why couldn't he destroy the journal himself? It was because he didn't actually pull any deer teeth, he just made them think he did. Because they were in a dream. Even it Sock Opera, the second time Bill appears you see Dipper nod off for a second right before he shows up. I think that Bill has no actual power except from appearing in dreams, and that he is forced to rely on others to achieve his goals. Hence why he's always willing to make a deal with people (we still don't know what he wanted from Gideon). So the question is; what does Bill want and who will he use next to get it?

Not sure if someone's already thought of this, but I wanted to bring it up 

• Upvote 2

Just a couple thoughts on everyone's favorite Illuminati Dorito.

So I re-watched Dreamscaperers, and I noticed something interesting. Right after Bill left and the world returned to color, Gideon, Mabel, and Soos all had their eyes closed for a second. Like they were sleeping. One of the questions I had after Sock Opera was, if Bill can pull the teeth right out of a deer's mouth, why couldn't he destroy the journal himself? It was because he didn't actually pull any deer teeth, he just made them think he did. Because they were in a dream. Even it Sock Opera, the second time Bill appears you see Dipper nod off for a second right before he shows up. I think that Bill has no actual power except from appearing in dreams, and that he is forced to rely on others to achieve his goals. Hence why he's always willing to make a deal with people (we still don't know what he wanted from Gideon). So the question is; what does Bill want and who will he use next to get it?

Not sure if someone's already thought of this, but I wanted to bring it up 

I think he's more interested in stealing the journals than destroying them. Why he can't steal them by his count, I'm not sure. Before Sock Opera I thought he had to be summoned to come to this world, but maybe he can intervene directly with a person, since his encounters with Dipper seem to have taken place in the Mindscape.

Also,

STANLEY THEORY CONFIRMED! (well his name being Stanley is unconfirmed but his existence confirmed!) Man, I can just see that they saved a ton of the animation budget for this episode. The jokes were also hitting all the marks, too. Fantastic episode. 11/10 - want ep12 asap pl0x

My only (minor, extremely nitpicky complaint) with the episode is that when Stan leaves the kids to ponder, his clothes are tidy whereas they were messy the shot before. It could be explained by him fixing it between the two shots, though it is a little jarring and more noticeable than other small animation goofs they've had before. Still, this episode was fantastic. The reveal that the real Stan is dead was chilling, seeing the twins in turmoil was heartbreaking and Soos deciding to protect the kids cleared him from my suspicion of him being a secret villain (mostly).

Okay, now I'm a bit confused. The author fell into the portal, however The Society of the Blind Eye was established after the fact. The Society was written about in Journal 3. That journal was hidden away by the author before Dipper found it. Hirsh, you have explaining to do, because this is the main reason I didn't suspect the author fell into the portal. Mumble grumble

Edited by Nigel Thornberry
  • Upvote 2

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Okay, now I'm a bit confused. The author fell into the portal, however The Society of the Blind Eye was established after the fact. The Society was written about in Journal 3. That journal was hidden away by the author before Dipper found it. Hirsh, you have explaining to do, because this is the main reason I didn't suspect the author fell into the portal. Mumble grumble

Has this actually been established? We know something bad happened that caused McGucket to found the Society, but we don't know exactly what that event is, so

it's possible the author was able to still be in Gravity Falls to experience the Blindeye before falling into the portal.

On another wonderful note, "Not What He Seems" was a fantastic episode. That last scene, though. So many rewatches. ♥

EDIT: So, the Bill Cipher AMA happened on reddit yesterday, and there were lots of funny and interesting revelations. Things I found noteworthy:

• Bill hates Time Baby.
  • "I LIKE [GOMPERS] BETTER THIS WAY" That goat always did seem suspicious...
  • Never ask a triangle about their side proportions.
  • Bill is a loving parent of deadly sins. Aww.

akanohi.png

Edited by Akano Toa of Electricity

Akano's Comics
qs10544.jpg
qs10544.jpg