Elemental Kanohi, Elemental Energy, and Nova Blasts

Kuurai

If a Toa wore an elemental Kanohi of a different kind than their own (Hewkii Mahri, for example):

1. Does the Kanohi use up the user's elemental energy?

2. Would it be possible for that Toa to use the Kanohi's element as the element for their Nova Blast?

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

1. I don't think so. Kanohi are meant to be wielded by more beings than just Toa, and some don't have elemental energy reserves. Should they not be able to use elemental Kanohi, then? Thus I would say they merely require willpower or focus, or whatever normal masks require.

2. I don't know about that for sure, but I would lean towards also no. Nova Blast seems like a Toa exclusive thing, and if elemental Kanohi could summon them then other Great Kanohi-wearing species could do them too, which seems unlikely to me.

• Upvote 2

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

1) Nope, it just drains its own power. It's common knowledge that Kanohi will/should stop working after a while. A loooooonnnng while apparently.

2) I doubt it. Elemental Great Kanohi offer control at a Toa level more or less, Noble Kanohi offer control at a Turaga level. The level of power of the mask cannot be inflated in order for it to release more energy at once. No Kanohi seems to work this way. Maybe a Toa of Fire wearing a mask of fire could go Nova, use up all his EE, and then use the mask to do fire stuff, but I don't see it going the other way around. Makes them too OP, imo.

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

As the Vahi leaked Time when chipped, perhaps smashing or pulverizing an Elemental Kanohi would unleash a Nova blast-like release of energy. However, it's still a horrible idea, since the blast wouldn't offer any protection to the originator. Essentially, it'd be a suicide attack, smashing the mask to make sure nobody's getting out alive.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

See, I don't think that would happen, cuz we're talking about a Great mask whos power level is not that of a Legendary. I mean I think that would be very cool, but unlikely. Idk, it'd be cool to see what others think about this subject!

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

1) No, the mask will just require focus like any other Kanohi. It does not interact with the user's elemental energy.

2) No, a Nova Blast is just the release of all the (Toa) user's elemental energy at once, which isn't something the mask interacts with.

On the subject of breaking an elemental Kanohi, I think it would just cease to work, rather than release any energy blast. That seems to be the norm for non-legendary masks. (I don't think that breaking an equally powerful Hau would release forcefield energy or anything, or Tahu may have considered doing that when facing the Bohrok Kal, for example.)

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

On the subject of breaking an elemental Kanohi, I think it would just cease to work, rather than release any energy blast. That seems to be the norm for non-legendary masks. (I don't think that breaking an equally powerful Hau would release forcefield energy or anything, or Tahu may have considered doing that when facing the Bohrok Kal, for example.)

Considering the matoran species is as reliant on masks as we are on oxygen, it might not occur to them, or be considered horribly barbaric, like cutting off water to a besieged city is.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

A Toa uses a nova blast when they are releasing all their inner elemental power outward. Mask powers are not connected to the powers the Toa hold within - they just have the mental capacity to utilize the abilities the masks themselves hold. Therefore, they are controlling an external force rather than an internal one. The mask is an object with no connection to the users elemental powers.

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

1) Nope, it just drains its own power. It's common knowledge that Kanohi will/should stop working after a while. A loooooonnnng while apparently.

You seem to be mixing up Kanoka and Kanohi. Kanoka disks work from a finite, non-recharging energy that drains over a long time. Masks' energy drains fairly rapidly per usage, but recharges each time.

Otherwise this answer is correct. :)

As the Vahi leaked Time when chipped, perhaps smashing or pulverizing an Elemental Kanohi would unleash a Nova blast-like release of energy.

No; Legendary Masks were unique in that way. All other masks when broken just cease working at all -- no release of power.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

As the Vahi leaked Time when chipped, perhaps smashing or pulverizing an Elemental Kanohi would unleash a Nova blast-like release of energy.

No; Legendary Masks were unique in that way. All other masks when broken just cease working at all -- no release of power.

Darn. Well, that is a fun headcanon, at least.

Plus it seems Elemental Masks are more limited than Toa Elements, since the Garai can't alter the gravity of the wearer.  Also, if mask power doesn't drain, a mask that could unleash a Nova Blast would basically give you the ability to spam nukes whenever you want.

Kinda like Nuparu in Bionicle Heroes.

...Which would be awesome, but seems a little unfair. :P

My take on Elemental Kanohi has been that they are limited to a very short duration (converting whatever masks use for energy into EE) unless there is an abundance of the right element to manipulate, and that they can't do big bursts (certainly no novas) because they are unable to store elemental energy for any length of time.